ADVERTISEMENT

Most Feared Opposing Coach

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
In the midst of this coaching search I got to thinking of which coaches over time did you fear NU opposing the most? I came up with this list:
1) Jimmy Johnson: The Canes of the 80s were practically unbeatable with him at the helm.
2) Barry Switzer: Even when NU had better teams the games were closer than they should have been. When the teams were about equal in talent OU won most of the time.
3) Urban Meyer: With all due respect to Ryan Day, Meyer took OSU from good to elite in college football.
4) Brett Bielema: This guy has owned NU in some very embarrassing ways.
5) Bob Stoops: NU eeked out a win over Stoops thanks to Suh, but beyond that Stoops has outcoached NU every time. In 2000 two relatively equal teams met but Stoops routed Solich.
6) Pete Carroll: The only meetings against Carroll's USC teams were total routs in the Callahan years. But I don't see NU having had success against his teams most years.
7) Mack Brown: NU occassionally had better teams but just couldn't get past the psyche of Texas under Brown.
8) Bobby Bowden: I feel that FSU just out-talented NU more than anything. Still, this guy was not going to make mistakes on the sideline.
9) Dennis Erickson: An often overlooked coach since he followed Jimmy Johnson, but maintained Miami at a high level and had teams that were almost as good.
10) Bill Snyder: Most of the coaches above bested NU more often than not. Still, Snyder took a nothing program and made it very good. With equal talent Snyder would win more often than not against anyone.

Obviously NU has not faced Saban and some other great coaches of the modern era. But this list I think encapsulates a lot of history and misery. Number 3 on this list is the one guy I think would take NU and make it elite in the shortest amount of time.

In the midst of this coaching search I got to thinking of which coaches over time did you fear NU opposing the most? I came up with this list:
1) Jimmy Johnson: The Canes of the 80s were practically unbeatable with him at the helm.
2) Barry Switzer: Even when NU had better teams the games were closer than they should have been. When the teams were about equal in talent OU won most of the time.
3) Urban Meyer: With all due respect to Ryan Day, Meyer took OSU from good to elite in college football.
5) Bob Stoops: NU eeked out a win over Stoops thanks to Suh, but beyond that Stoops has outcoached NU every time. In 2000 two relatively equal teams met but Stoops routed Solich.
6) Pete Carroll: The only meetings against Carroll's USC teams were total routs in the Callahan years. But I don't see NU having had success against his teams most years.
7) Mack Brown: NU occassionally had better teams but just couldn't get past the psyche of Texas under Brown.
8) Bobby Bowden: I feel that FSU just out-talented NU more than anything. Still, this guy was not going to make mistakes on the sideline.
9) Dennis Erickson: An often overlooked coach since he followed Jimmy Johnson, but maintained Miami at a high level and had teams that were almost as good.
10) Bill Snyder: Most of the coaches above bested NU more often than not. Still, Snyder took a nothing program and made it very good. With equal talent Snyder would win more often than not against anyone.

Obviously NU has not faced Saban and some other great coaches of the modern era. But this list I think encapsulates a lot of history and misery. Number 3 on this list is the one guy I think would take NU and make it elite in the shortest amount of time.
Nebraska has faced Saban when he was at Michigan St in 1995 and 1996..

50-10
55-14

Reactions: blackshirts25
Scott Frost was terrifying and Mike Riley, the name still gives me the heebie jeebies. I oppose both coaches.

In 2001, Frank Solich defeated Bob Stoops. Don't leave that part out.

These were the 3 McCartney wins over Nebraska.
Definitely the best coach CU ever had. Still, Osborne won many of the big battles when both teams were very talented. The 1994 CU team might well be one of the best teams to not win a championship. That team was loaded.

Reactions: huskers360

Most feared, JJ or Barry.
As far as respect, I’ll go with Stoops. I’ll be honest, I don’t know the coaching tree of most of those guys. Stoops had solid staffs. His AC’s went on to become HC’s or did well. I guess same can be said for Bill Snyder,

For me Switzer is surely number 2. Only Jimmy Johnson could routinely beat that guy. Same with Bowden.
Oddly Switzer had a winning head to head record vs Jimmy. 5-3 I believe. (6-3 including the NFL). People forget that Jimmy coached Okie State for 5 years.

Likewise - TO was 5-1 against Jimmy.

correct me if I’m wrong

Also think TO would put Warren Powers maybe on that list

Reactions: scarletred
My opinion of Ferentz is a guy who will never be better than above average. Solich routed him twice and Pelini was winning against him until the last years. I don't consider the Riley and Frost years as representative of anything but being attrocious.
Any team with good basic fundamentals has owned us for ten years……and that is coaching

Reactions: WHCSC
The one that we face this week is going to have 3 wins after Saturday and 2 by more than 40

Harbaugh's record against Meyer speaks volumes. Good coach and one I would hire if by an act of God he was available and interested. But not in my top 10. Maybe top 20.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT