ADVERTISEMENT

More wins vs blowout losses

cmblizz96

Walk On
Jun 19, 2001
I know many hang their hat on all the close losses we had last year including to a few highly ranked teams as a sign that we are close to winning a lot of games. With all the players gone from last year’s team and the huge influx of transfers there is obviously going to be growing pains. If this team beats the teams we are supposed to but loses to Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, and Oklahoma with a few of those being embarrassing blowouts is an 8-4 record ok? We got rid of other coaches for that reason despite 8 or 9 win seasons so does the same standard apply to Frost?

At this point, I have no idea what to think. At the very least, I have to wonder about Frost and his decision making on multiple levels. First he brings his entire staff from UCF, then the O coordinator is gone, then he hires a guy who has been out of the game for a year, then he cans a large part of his O coaches only to still have some of the worst special teams in the country. All this in four years with not even a sniff at a winning record.

I know I am part of the tough crowd but my goodness, Frost has shown zero ability to turn this around so far so I am wondering where the leadership comes from to finally get over the hump? I guess you could say Whip and Joseph but in the end, the sum of the parts can't be that much better than the head cheese. JMHO

Anyone that hangs their hat on close losses is placating the losing culture in Lincoln. Those losses were maddening to watch due to how they lose: mistakes, penalties, special teams, turnovers, etc. This is year four of Frost and we look like year one.

I just want a team that is competitive in the W/L column, not getting credit for close losses.

We got rid of other coaches for that reason despite 8 or 9 win seasons so does the same standard apply to Frost?
What does the actions of the staff tell us? I would say that Frost believes that same standard applies to him. He's in win now mode. He's got an OC who is set to retire any time now. He's taken in, what, 15 transfers? I doubt that they've totally given up on their HS recruits already. I think they are just mortgaging future development for the present.

Reactions: BleedRed78
You'd have to promote or bring in a HC that doesn't bring his staff. Most HC want their own staff....
Some do, for sure. We see how well that worked out on this last hire. I am confident TA has thought this through and has a plan, and that plan does not include bringing Frost back if he wins 6 games. Frost needs legit results to prove that he should be here for the foreseeable future. Next years schedule is a bitch, and if the results aren't good to great this year, and he retains Frost and we put up 4 to 6 wins the following year, TA is going to look like a chump.

It's hard to speculate with much accuracy before the season. There are a lot of factors that bring important nuance to a pure W-L record. For example, was the team improving or declining in performance as the season went on? What was the quality of the wins and losses? Etc.

The best advice right now is to just wait to see how the season unfolds. I know in the off season there isn't that much to talk about on a message board so it's interesting to speculate but the reality is no real accurate conclusions can be drawn at this point.

It's hard to speculate with much accuracy before the season. There are a lot of factors that bring important nuance to a pure W-L record. For example, was the team improving or declining in performance as the season went on? What was the quality of the wins and losses? Etc.

The best advice right now is to just wait to see how the season unfolds. I know in the off season there isn't that much to talk about on a message board so it's interesting to speculate but the reality is no real accurate conclusions can be drawn at this point.
We've had 4 years of "we're close" and being ready to "pop" and :just needing something good to happen." In other words, loser talk. "Nuance" can suck it, we are way passed that. Put up or shut up, period.

Reactions: Chuck003
We've had 4 years of "we're close" and being ready to "pop" and :just needing something good to happen." In other words, loser talk. "Nuance" can suck it, we are way passed that. Put up or shut up, period.
OK, tell us specifically what your exact hard with no conditions W-L record is without any nuance or qualifications.

I don't think the no nuance condition is going to be what criteria the AD uses but for curiousity reasons I'd like to get fans views on what W-L is acceptable and what W-L is not acceptable for the 2022 season.

And yes I'm as frustrated as every other fan but I'm also trying to assess the reality of the situation.

OK, tell us specifically what your exact hard with no conditions W-L record is without any nuance or qualifications.

I don't think the no nuance condition is going to be what criteria the AD uses but for curiousity reasons I'd like to get fans views on what W-L is acceptable and what W-L is not acceptable for the 2022 season.

And yes I'm as frustrated as every other fan but I'm also trying to assess the reality of the situation.
He should have to finish in the top 10 to be retained

it is not too much to ask that at a program that considers itself a “blue blood” that he accomplished a top 10 finish at least once in his first 5 years … something that Kurt Ferentz did twice in that time span

time to really see if our current standards are really higher than Iowa’s

to clarify the above - that is a top 10 national finish - not in the conference

• Haha

At bare minimum, no winning record and you're out on your ass. I am hopeful that TA's plan was to negotiate with Frost to get the reduction in his contract and to buy time to find a good coach to take over after 2022 with the intent of cutting Frost loose short of a massive turnaround this year. Frost's ceiling is to turn us into Iowa, and I really doubt he can get us to even that lowly standard.

He should have to finish in the top 10 to be retained

it is not too much to ask that at a program that considers itself a “blue blood” that he accomplished a top 10 finish at least once in his first 5 years … something that Kurt Ferentz did twice in that time span

time to really see if our current standards are really higher than Iowa’s

to clarify the above - that is a top 10 national finish - not in the conference
I approve of this message

3-9 to a top 10 team in 1 year? So like 11-2 or 12-1 finish? That's a coach of the year type turnaround. No one is demanding that. If you are, you are out of your mind.

3-9 to a top 10 team in 1 year? So like 11-2 or 12-1 finish? That's a coach of the year type turnaround. No one is demanding that. If you are, you are out of your mind.

Chris Ferentz finished in the top 10 twice in his first 5 years .., why shouldn’t we expect Frost to be able to do that at least once?

i don’t think being absolutely horrendous for your first 4 years should buy you the collateral such that 8-5 in year 5 is deemed acceptable at a blue blood program

Reactions: Lincoln100
Chris Ferentz finished in the top 10 twice in his first 5 years .., why shouldn’t we expect Frost to be able to do that at least once?

i don’t think being absolutely horrendous for your first 4 years should buy you the collateral such that 8-5 in year 5 is deemed acceptable at a blue blood program
I dont think 8-5 is acceptable, but considering the way things have gone around here, I would take it and expect steady solid improvement from here on out. If we sink back to 4, 5 or 6 wins every other year, then yeah, unacceptable. But we have to start digging ourselves out of the hole first.

I dont think 8-5 is acceptable, but considering the way things have gone around here, I would take it and expect steady solid improvement from here on out. If we sink back to 4, 5 or 6 wins every other year, then yeah, unacceptable. But we have to start digging ourselves out of the hole first.
Not picking on you but so many posts saying somewhat the same thing - 8-5 is not acceptable but I would take it.

This tells me both the expectations are low and the "settle for" is even lower. Hmmmm

Not picking on you but so many posts saying somewhat the same thing - 8-5 is not acceptable but I would take it.

This tells me both the expectations are low and the "settle for" is even lower. Hmmmm
No worries, Im just saying Im giving him 1next year to have a 'previous standard crappy NU' year. 6-9 wins. Which got at least 4 coaches fired. After that, he needs to step it back up to 9, 10 or 11. Im not expecting it to come this year. I hope it does, but Im not holding my breath. I look to 2023 for a step to 9-11 wins. If not, things need to change

I know many hang their hat on all the close losses we had last year including to a few highly ranked teams as a sign that we are close to winning a lot of games. With all the players gone from last year’s team and the huge influx of transfers there is obviously going to be growing pains. If this team beats the teams we are supposed to but loses to Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, and Oklahoma with a few of those being embarrassing blowouts is an 8-4 record ok? We got rid of other coaches for that reason despite 8 or 9 win seasons so does the same standard apply to Frost?
In other words, what if we start playing Peliniball? I suppose if Frost doesn't throw any temper tantrums he will be ok.

15 transfers to a program like N strikes me as similar to Charlie Weis bringing a like number of jucos to Ku. If this works, I'm really impressed with Frosty.

If Frost even wins 6 games he is back...Trev isn't firing this whole staff. We know we upgraded big time with Whip and Mickey.
6 wins and they go bowling. 6-7 losing record. 7 years as a head coach. 6 losing seasons. Yeah! Let's keep him!

Considering the way things have gone? They have gone that way because of the guy in charge. Holy shit. He's responsible for setting the bar lower than anyone else, in history, and because he did so, we should think that a roughly top 50 finish should mean, effectively, a contract extension and bonus? This is completely pathetic.

15 transfers to a program like N strikes me as similar to Charlie Weis bringing a like number of jucos to Ku. If this works, I'm really impressed with Frosty.
Impressed? It is full on desperation mode, and you're comparing it to KU and Weiss as a good thing? What? It is year 5 and we have been frantically working the portal because the development / coaching for 4 years has been blah. It is so bizarre, people praising a guy for average results after he put us in a bad place. Beat'n wife syndrome on roids.

Impressed? It is full on desperation mode, and you're comparing it to KU and Weiss as a good thing? What? It is year 5 and we have been frantically working the portal because the development / coaching for 4 years has been blah. It is so bizarre, people praising a guy for average results after he put us in a bad place. Beat'n wife syndrome on roids.
Desperation or smart move? This is the new age of recruiting. 12-0 or he's GONE! You're an idiot

Desperation or smart move? This is the new age of recruiting. 12-0 or he's GONE! You're an idiot
Smart move? As opposed to the alternative of not bringing in transfers and just rolling with his poorly recruited, shallow, and under-developed D line, QB, RB's and WR's? The guy digs himself a massive hole, then turns to the only thing he can do to try to get out of it (thank you NIL), and you think he's smart? Then you fabricate a scenario (12-0 or he's gone) to try to make you look less like a doofus, and fail.

You should take the day off.

Smart move? As opposed to the alternative of not bringing in transfers and just rolling with his poorly recruited, shallow, and under-developed D line, QB, RB's and WR's? The guy digs himself a massive hole, then turns to the only thing he can do to try to get out of it (thank you NIL), and you think he's smart? Then you fabricate a scenario (12-0 or he's gone) to try to make you look less like a doofus, and fail.

You should take the day off.
You think Trev is going to fire this staff for 8 wins? Completely wrong -- many teams aren't doing anything close to Nebraska in the portal. We could try to keep what we have but we are putting in work to get better talent.

You think Trev is going to fire this staff for 8 wins? Completely wrong -- many teams aren't doing anything close to Nebraska in the portal. We could try to keep what we have but we are putting in work to get better talent.
Who said anything about firing the staff? Good lord, if all of these guys came here tying their jobs directly to Frost, they're idiots, unless they demanded a couple years advancement, nonrefundable, on their salaries. Many teams dont have the financing to do what nebraska is doing in the portal. "Putting in the work to get better talent." Wow, really impressive. Again, thank you NIL.

Who said anything about firing the staff? Good lord, if all of these guys came here tying their jobs directly to Frost, they're idiots, unless they demanded a couple years advancement, nonrefundable, on their salaries. Many teams dont have the financing to do what nebraska is doing in the portal. "Putting in the work to get better talent." Wow, really impressive. Again, thank you NIL.
Go crawl back into your politics threads since you are clueless on Nebraska football

No, I'm saying this does smack of desperation, like Ku's "frontbutt," but if he pulls it off, Frosty should get credit for going a different direction, and I'll be impressed that he wasn't bullheaded enough to ignore his roster/talent issues, fixed them, and brought success to N.

No, I'm saying this does smack of desperation, like Ku's "frontbutt," but if he pulls it off, Frosty should get credit for going a different direction, and I'll be impressed that he wasn't bullheaded enough to ignore his roster/talent issues, fixed them, and brought success to N.
Ok, but the roster issues were pretty evident, even to the stingiest of Frost supporters. There just wasn't any other way to handle it but to go after what we could, throw money at them, and hope they committed. If we have a really good season, then I will give Frost some credit, even if it was 4 years of historically bad performances which forced his hand to make significant changes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT