ADVERTISEMENT

More surprising disappointment so far, Scott or Fred?

Improved special teams play would go a long way too. That has been a huge area of failure.
That’s our goal now? After 4 Years we finally get bowl eligible and we are supposed to be happy. As much as we say we want consistency in our staffs I can’t believe how easily we are okay with the low expectations now. I get we won’t win the national championship but if your goal each year isn’t to win the whole thing to start each year then you are in the wrong profession. When Moos said we hope to go 6-6 that right there shows you the bar is set low inside those walls. I see we are the 2nd worst p5 men’s program and right now there is a reason. Maybe the people who got laid off in the athletic department Because of Covid were the wrong ones.

I think Frost is having a tougher time then Fred. I think the coaching issues are more apparent than with Basketball. In Basketball I just think Fred just has to keep reeling in the recruits. Getting 3 shooters next year will help.

In our football team you can point to some game management/field position issues, special team issues, penalties and turnovers. Execution issues are coaching issues.

I want to see Nebraska succeed, and Frost to succeed, but I am not going to take the Branch Davidian mentality and just ignore the f*&king burning compound. Show me you can WIN a game you are not suppose to as and underdog, show me you can WIN a game against a rival, especially a division rival. Damn it just find a way.

outside of 2 elite teams I can't remember a weaker schedule

6 of the 9 conference games are against teams that didn't have a winning conf record last year

Of the 3 teams with a conf winning record - one is Northwestern who is seeing a mass exodus of players from the program and another is Iowa

other than OSU the other 2 cross divisional games are against teams with a combined record of 4-9 - and one of those wins was because they played each other - the 6th and 7th place east teams

every game against even a half decent conf opponent is at home - Neb doesn't play a single conf game on the road against a team that finished with a .500 conf record or better last year provided the schedule is not changed - they have 5 conf home games and 4 road games

Neb has an offensive orientated head coach- almost the entire offensive line that started the Rutgers game comes back, there is a cupboard full of 4* WRs, the most productive TE is back along with the #1 rated TE recruit in the country, Mills needs to be replaced but there have been 4 other RBs recruited in the last 2 classes including 2 4*s and the QB will have started the last 3 seasons

Fred Hoiberg could coach that team with that schedule to 9 wins .. so could Amy Williams

I'm sure the "difficulty" of the 2021 schedule will reach mythical proportions by the start of next season in order to give Frost cover and make 7 wins seem like a miracle was performed

Last edited:
The talent level of our players is night and day different than when Hoiberg took over.

Do we truly feel like the football team is more talented today than when Frost got here? Sure they’ve recruited ‘stars’ well, but what about the actual talent we see on the field??
I don’t see that. We had winning seasons the two years before Fred got here, we had players like Shields, Roby and Parker. I don’t see anyone like that on this roster. Sure it’s better than than last years, but still bad, bad. Maybe next year after turning listing it over again and adding McGownes it will look better. Frost has recruited some good young players. Next year we will have freshman Benhart, Piper and Corcoran, plus So Jurgens on the OL. Freshman Betts and Sophomore Wandale at WR.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Frost is by far the bigger disappointment because heading into year 4 we may be worse than when he arrived. The only thing we have to hang our hats on is pre season hype which for three years has been complete BS from Frost. Nothing on the field exudes confidence heading into next season.

Like it or not how many wins do you realistically see in 2021, four? I really hope for major improvements but reality tells me it will just be more of the same.

This is inaccurate in a lot of ways:

QB - Tanner Lee threw 16 Interceptions in 2017, its dramatically better going into 2021
OL- depth going into 2021 is on another planet from the mess left by Coach Midget and 10 scholarship dudes who shouldn't be on a Big Ten Roster.
TE- Fidone, Austin Allen, Vokolek? Hell, Tyler Hoppes was pretty good in 2017, but Nebraska will be a lot more dangerous at that spot next season.
DL- When Riley foolishly shifted to the 3-4 in 2017, Nebraska had the smallest 3 man front in the Big Ten. Going into 2021, Nebraska is going to have the biggest in the league and will present one of the most physical and athletic fronts in recent memory.
LB- This is where the difference in talent is the most stark and obvious. In 2017, Nebraska played 5 linebackers total. WIth Honas and JoJo returning in 2021, Nebraska will have their deepest unit in almost a decade.
DB- One of the primary reasons both Pelini and Riley struggled vs the run is the Huskers were never physically versatile enough at the back end of the defense. The DBs in 2017 were either too small to hold up in run support while also getting bullied by bigger and more physical receivers. Or in the case of a dude like Antonio Reed, they were good vs. the run by overmatched in coverage. Nebraska doesn't have that issue anymore. They have a legit NFL draft prospect in CTB, and a corp of defensive backs who are versatile thru physicality and athleticism.

So where was the 2017 better than this current group?

WR - In 2017, Nebraska had Stanley Morgan, JD Spielman, and Demornay Pierson-El. Riley did a poor job of bringing in underclassmen with his 16 and 17 classes outside of JD. This created a major hole on the roster. The 2017 class, in particular was an abomination at the skill positions.

RB - In 2017, Nebraska wasn't very good running the football, but the team had more talent. Devine Ozigbo and Tre Bryant were two very good college Runners. Bryant's injuries were a tough break. The 2016 and 17 classes were not good thanks to Reggie Davis. But Frost and Ryan Held have put their faith into some smoke and mirrors. Dudes like Mo Washington and Greg Bell have set the roster back and were not worth the risk.

Special Teams as a whole - You know how everyone mocked Bruce Read and his massive $450,000 salary as a Special Teams Coach? While it made for good jokes, the dude was clearly better at his job back then than whatever Nebraska has been trying to do under Frost. Yuck.

So how can they get improve in 2021?

WR - Oliver Martin, Nixon, Alante Brown, and Levi Falck need a full spring to help build rapport with Adrian. Betts needs to continue progressing, and this team could really benefit from a legit Power 5 Transfer to come in an be a true Vertical Threat on the boundary oppositte Betts. That would free up Wandale from constantly getting bracketed. It also gives the younger guys a little more time to develop in the offense.

RB - I think Nebraska desperately needs go to the Transfer Portal Route for this spot. I don't believe a true #1 exists on the Husker roster at this time.

Special teams- Burn it all to the fvckin Ground.

As for the Schedule, I don't think its even half as daunting as everyone thinks for 2021.

Oklahoma and Ohio State should both be great.
I actually think Minnesota is going to be good in 2021.

- Illinois will be replacing as many as 15 starters
- Most of Northwestern's starters are seeking transfer or going to the NFL, which tells me Fitz is leaving.
- Michigan State is potentially cleaning out their whole roster. They are basically in year one reset again.
- Michigan is a mess offensively and switching defenses.
- Wisconsin has absolutely no skill talent and the heart of their defense is going to the NFL.
- Iowa will have their biggest rebuild of the last 7 seasons.
- Buffalo is a MAC team that will be replacing their only weapon capable of hurting Nebraska
- SouthEast Louisiana will be dreadful
- Purdue is going to spiral out of control next season

Saying Nebraska will only win 4 games next year is foolish and ignorant.

QB - Tanner Lee threw 16 Interceptions in 2017, its dramatically better going into 2021
OL- depth going into 2021 is on another planet from the mess left by Coach Midget and 10 scholarship dudes who shouldn't be on a Big Ten Roster.
TE- Fidone, Austin Allen, Vokolek? Hell, Tyler Hoppes was pretty good in 2017, but Nebraska will be a lot more dangerous at that spot next season.
DL- When Riley foolishly shifted to the 3-4 in 2017, Nebraska had the smallest 3 man front in the Big Ten. Going into 2021, Nebraska is going to have the biggest in the league and will present one of the most physical and athletic fronts in recent memory.
LB- This is where the difference in talent is the most stark and obvious. In 2017, Nebraska played 5 linebackers total. WIth Honas and JoJo returning in 2021, Nebraska will have their deepest unit in almost a decade.
DB- One of the primary reasons both Pelini and Riley struggled vs the run is the Huskers were never physically versatile enough at the back end of the defense. The DBs in 2017 were either too small to hold up in run support while also getting bullied by bigger and more physical receivers. Or in the case of a dude like Antonio Reed, they were good vs. the run by overmatched in coverage. Nebraska doesn't have that issue anymore. They have a legit NFL draft prospect in CTB, and a corp of defensive backs who are versatile thru physicality and athleticism.

WR - In 2017, Nebraska had Stanley Morgan, JD Spielman, and Demornay Pierson-El. Riley did a poor job of bringing in underclassmen with his 16 and 17 classes outside of JD. This created a major hole on the roster. The 2017 class, in particular was an abomination at the skill positions.

RB - In 2017, Nebraska wasn't very good running the football, but the team had more talent. Devine Ozigbo and Tre Bryant were two very good college Runners. Bryant's injuries were a tough break. The 2016 and 17 classes were not good thanks to Reggie Davis. But Frost and Ryan Held have put their faith into some smoke and mirrors. Dudes like Mo Washington and Greg Bell have set the roster back and were not worth the risk.

Special Teams as a whole - You know how everyone mocked Bruce Read and his massive $450,000 salary as a Special Teams Coach? While it made for good jokes, the dude was clearly better at his job back then than whatever Nebraska has been trying to do under Frost. Yuck.

WR - Oliver Martin, Nixon, Alante Brown, and Levi Falck need a full spring to help build rapport with Adrian. Betts needs to continue progressing, and this team could really benefit from a legit Power 5 Transfer to come in an be a true Vertical Threat on the boundary oppositte Betts. That would free up Wandale from constantly getting bracketed. It also gives the younger guys a little more time to develop in the offense.

RB - I think Nebraska desperately needs go to the Transfer Portal Route for this spot. I don't believe a true #1 exists on the Husker roster at this time.

As for the Schedule, I don't think its even half as daunting as everyone thinks for 2021.

- Most of Northwestern's starters are seeking transfer or going to the NFL, which tells me Fitz is leaving.
- Michigan State is potentially cleaning out their whole roster. They are basically in year one reset again.
- Wisconsin has absolutely no skill talent and the heart of their defense is going to the NFL.
- Buffalo is a MAC team that will be replacing their only weapon capable of hurting Nebraska

You’re forgetting that Nebraska is also playing Nebraska any God given Saturday.

Reactions: The Bearded One

Frost‘s teams have had losing records in his three years here. I have little reason to believe anything will change with his coaching or that of the staff. Foolish and ignorant perhaps. I hope I am wrong but nothing Frost has done makes me believe otherwise.
Something as important and crucial as special teams seemingly is ignored. Our OL has been pillow soft for three years. If those two elements are vastly improved then yes we can make a Bowl game.
The bottom line for me is believing that Frost can turn us around. Many believe he will, I’m just not there yet.

They both have been hot garbage. I expected Fred to be average at best....I didn't see the hype to start with.

Dude took a power 5 team to tournament a few times a long time ago and exited quickly each time. Guess what, hundreds of other coaches did the same thing and advanced MUCH FARTHER than Freddy including mid majors! Then in the NBA he didn't win anything and got ran outta there.

Nebraska would have been far better of with Tyron Lue. He's a Husker, champion as a player and a coach and the AAU circuit n players KNOW who he is. He would have got superior talent here and coached them up!

Reactions: CatColumbia
Frost‘s teams have had losing records in his three years here. I have little reason to believe anything will change with his coaching or that of the staff. Foolish and ignorant perhaps. I hope I am wrong but nothing Frost has done makes me believe otherwise.
Something as important and crucial as special teams seemingly is ignored. Our OL has been pillow soft for three years. If those two elements are vastly improved then yes we can make a Bowl game.
The bottom line for me is believing that Frost can turn us around. Many believe he will, I’m just not there yet.

I’ll add to your note, Frost has had a losing record as an offensive coordinator/head coach 4 out of the last 5 years. No bueno.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Way more disappointed in Frost. Him and Mike Gundy were 1a and 1b for me. Nobody does more with less than Gundy.

That being said I thought Frost would do whatever it took for us to WIN....NOT just HIS WAY. I didn't see him being this arrogant and refusing to change. This isn't a beauty contest.

He's had the GREATEST teachers from Osborne, Snyder, Parcells, Belichick, Kelly and others. Sadly I don't think he will coach his ass off til he's on the hot seat..

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
I’m still behind both of these guys...But, I’m really surprised and extremely disappointed with the teams they’ve put on the field/court so far. Who could have imagined when Moos made these two hires that we’d be seeing these types of poor performances in year two and three... Not me!

Nebraska has zero wins all-time in the NCAA men's basketball tournament. The answer to this question is easily Scott Frost.

ridge22, SF honeymoon is over starting next season, he now has had 4 years to change the roster in his image..

Tough conference slat but gets both tOSU and Michigan at home and playing one of the preseason favorites to win the national title teams in Norman...

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
They both have been hot garbage. I expected Fred to be average at best....I didn't see the hype to start with.

Dude took a power 5 team to tournament a few times a long time ago and exited quickly each time. Guess what, hundreds of other coaches did the same thing and advanced MUCH FARTHER than Freddy including mid majors! Then in the NBA he didn't win anything and got ran outta there.

Nebraska would have been far better of with Tyron Lue. He's a Husker, champion as a player and a coach and the AAU circuit n players KNOW who he is. He would have got superior talent here and coached them up!
I agree I thought Lue would do a great job and maybe even better. I heard he was interested but Moos didn’t like he didn’t have college experience. I thought Fred would have top players by now but we do get the 22nd overall ranked player next year. So that should change a lot. Again, if Fred wins 1 NCAA tournament game Then he will he the most successful in program history.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
I agree I thought Lue would do a great job and maybe even better. I heard he was interested but Moos didn’t like he didn’t have college experience. I thought Fred would have top players by now but we do get the 22nd overall ranked player next year. So that should change a lot. Again, if Fred wins 1 NCAA tournament game Then he will he the most successful in program history.
No way Lue was ever leaving the NBA. He won an NBA championship, it was a matter of time before he got another NBA head coaching job. Would you rather coach the LA Clippers or a historically bad Nebraska basketball program?

I am still optimistic both will figure it out, but Frost has been the bigger disappointment. Hoiberg is only in year two and quite literally inherited nothing. Thor was the only returning player on his first roster. Also, in my opinion this is the strongest the Big Ten has been in basketball since we joined the conference, while in football this might be the weakest the Big Ten has been since we joined the conference. Hoiberg will actually return some quality starters next year for the first time he's been here, while bringing in the best basketball recruiting class we've seen in a while. Frost desperately needs to have a decent year next year.

BOTH guys IMO, inherited terrible situations with their rosters. Miles's contract situation killed recruiting and Riley just plain failed to bring in the right kind of guys. BOTH programs were a ground up rebuild. I thought both would be able to turn things around quicker than they have. Clearly that first group of transfers Fred brought in aren't all that we had hoped. I know some guys think coaching stability isn't important, but I think we hired some good guys and now we have to try to give them plenty of time to build programs. For every ONE school who strikes gold by churning coaches, there's a hundred who fail miserably. We'll see if hiring the "name" guys was the right move but I think it's at least a 5 year deal for both.
I'd argue it was his lame duck status and debating whether we should fire him this year or next year for 3 straight years that killed recruiting. It had absolutely nothing to do with how many years he had left on his contract.

I don’t think Frost seems lost (just because he isn’t doing things the way you want doesn’t mean he’s lost) and I’m not sure Fred took over a worse situation. Miles teams were competitive and had actually had back to back winning seasons prior to Fred taking over. Fred chose to completely blow up the roster. It is usually a pretty quick process to flip a basketball roster. I like Fred a lot and was ecstatic when he was hired, but I am shocked how bad we are right now.
Exactly, Fred chose to blow up the roster. Any problems he's had as a result of that are his own doing. Can't believe the excuse-making saying we should give him extra time for his own poorly thought out decision making and blaming everything on the prior guy. Have we not learned our lesson? We even have an example from the football program playing out 1 year ahead of time, and people still make the same errors in judgment as they did with that example. The basketball team is a poorly coached mess. You can see it in everything they do including free throws, 3 pt shooting, defense, and the way we run our offense. All these things take focus to execute properly and our team has none.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
The talent level of our players is night and day different than when Hoiberg took over.

Do we truly feel like the football team is more talented today than when Frost got here? Sure they’ve recruited ‘stars’ well, but what about the actual talent we see on the field??
Is it? Why are we not winning any games and get blown out by Ohio St. last night if our talent is so much better?

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Frost by far. Frost inherited a program 2 years removed from a 9 win season. Frost has shown consistent poor in game coaching and lost to less talented teams. Hoiberg didn’t even inherit a roster. He had 1 month to assemble a roster, a lot of guys don’t fit, lots of attrition, assemble new roster, still a lot don’t fit. Add insult to injury and covid means no soft non conference season to establish roles, figure out what we got, and build confidence/wins. Big ten is brutal has 9 ranked teams. With the situation hoiberg has inherited I can’t even have expectations yet

So if all of this is true, we should get to 7 wins no problem, right?

Prepare yourself for Frost winning 8 next year and then having a chip on his shoulder because "no one believed in us." At which point I will projectile vomit all over my dog, kids, wife and car.

Frost has been worse. The end.

In terms of falling flat on their face, I'd say both coaches are pretty equal. But I care much more about football than I do basketball, so I'd have to go with Frost. Had no idea the basketball team was playing yesterday, caught a few minutes of it, and immediately realized why I don't watch Nebraska basketball. It was a poorly coached mess and I turned it off. I'll just watch the Lakers instead, much more entertaining anyway.

No way Lue was ever leaving the NBA. He won an NBA championship, it was a matter of time before he got another NBA head coaching job. Would you rather coach the LA Clippers or a historically bad Nebraska basketball program?
He expressed interest from what I remember.

Frost by far. Frost inherited a program 2 years removed from a 9 win season. Frost has shown consistent poor in game coaching and lost to less talented teams. Hoiberg didn’t even inherit a roster. He had 1 month to assemble a roster, a lot of guys don’t fit, lots of attrition, assemble new roster, still a lot don’t fit. Add insult to injury and covid means no soft non conference season to establish roles, figure out what we got, and build confidence/wins. Big ten is brutal has 9 ranked teams. With the situation hoiberg has inherited I can’t even have expectations yet

Frost inherited a team that went 4-8, Hoiberg inherited a team that went 19-17.

Lol that must've taken some time, better spent getting your excuses ready for next year :)

Fred has a big time 5 star player coming in next year to build his team around. Give him time. He’ll get us our first NCAA tournament win within the next 2-3 years.

tenor.gif

Reactions: SkerInCo
I think the football team was/is a much bigger project, not just because of numbers either. Fred got rid of all the players and got his own and still can't get nothing that looks like a functional basketball team on the court. Frost will have this team be 99% his players so we will see but with all the Frost struggles. I thought we would at least see good coaching from Fred and Doc but it's been pathetic. Fred is the bigger disappointment for me so far.

Fred has a big time 5 star player coming in next year to build his team around. Give him time. He’ll get us our first NCAA tournament win within the next 2-3 years.
I want to believe you, but I feel like we've all fallen for the old banana in the tailpipe trick one too many times. I have a hard time believing in the future because I fail to see why we suck as hard as we do RIGHT NOW. That applies to both Fred and Scott. Stop telling me about the future and start getting the guys you've got to play smarter.

Reactions: Chuck003
Fred got a 5 star basketball player to commit to play basketball at a place that rarely gets to the NCAA tournament and has never won a NCAA tournament game. A single 5 star player can change the course of your program for years in basketball, so I believe Fred has a better chance to improve the program and make us respectable at least.

Frost? I feel he is a lost cause. I have not seen any improvement from the offense and I have not seen any improvement in the recruiting rankings or the win loss column. I believe his pride is his biggest stumbling block. He refuses to look at himself and make changes to improve what is not working. He comes across as someone who believes he has the magic bean and nothing can ever make him believe otherwise.

I'd argue it was his lame duck status and debating whether we should fire him this year or next year for 3 straight years that killed recruiting. It had absolutely nothing to do with how many years he had left on his contract.
So how many years he head left on his contract had nothing to do with his lame duck status? Alrighty then. The AD wasn't openly debating whether or not we should fire him but any time you fail to give a coach with a year or two left on their contract some sort of written "vote of confidence" by a contract extension, you invite the speculation about his termination.

Improved special teams play would go a long way too. That has been a huge area of failure.
I seem to recall huge failures on special teams for both Riley and Pelini. Frost needs to own special teams or put it on the back of ONE on field coach. I think totally relying on a consultant in a booth is a mistake.

That’s our goal now? After 4 Years we finally get bowl eligible and we are supposed to be happy. As much as we say we want consistency in our staffs I can’t believe how easily we are okay with the low expectations now. I get we won’t win the national championship but if your goal each year isn’t to win the whole thing to start each year then you are in the wrong profession. When Moos said we hope to go 6-6 that right there shows you the bar is set low inside those walls. I see we are the 2nd worst p5 men’s program and right now there is a reason. Maybe the people who got laid off in the athletic department Because of Covid were the wrong ones.
The bar isn't lowered for the long term. Moos is a very good football guy. He was an all conference Pac 8 player at Washington. He KNEW when he looked at this program that we were in for a total rebuild and he knew how long it could take. Frost was the one who set unrealistic expectations with his mouth. That said, IF you think Frost's expectations for himself have been lowered, you're out of your mind. This is driving him nuts. I just hope he turns it around and Tom is still alive to see it.

You don't go from 3 or 4 wins to being a playoff team in a year. You set stepping stone goals for each season. IMO, the goal for next year is to get bowl eligible and at least contend to win our division. Like it or not, it doesn't matter what we want. Expectations need to fit the reality of our program at this point in time.

Hope you are right. I just don’t see it after three years of same old same old.
They tease us with quarters and halves of some really good football. I'm hopeful that maybe we can start putting together whole games of good play next year. The QB play, bad snaps and penalties have been the bugaboo. I don't think it's a physical talent issue anymore. The snaps and penalties SHOULD be easily fixed but watching I think the Florida game the other day I think it was (might have been Miami), they had a BUNCH of bad snaps too. Snap after snap in the dirt.

IF we can get our QB to take care of the ball and we eliminate some penalties, I think we could be pretty good. Martinez has a ton of talent and I can see why Frost wanted him but DAMN he screws up a lot.

Thank you for a factual ray of sunshine.

He expressed interest from what I remember.
Everything I read said he had zero interest in coaching in college. 4 million per year might have been tough to turn down but that would have been quite a leap to take to sign a guy who has never recruited or coached in college. It seems to be working for Michigan though.

Basketball you can have 3 good players and turn the program around quickly. Freshman can play and contribute more early than in football. Football just way more players, coaches, etc. The B10 it is a hard league to be young and good in football. Both have been disappointing so far but I like that they're both here.

The BIG is light years better in basketball than football and has been for years.

I think the football team was/is a much bigger project, not just because of numbers either. Fred got rid of all the players and got his own and still can't get nothing that looks like a functional basketball team on the court. Frost will have this team be 99% his players so we will see but with all the Frost struggles. I thought we would at least see good coaching from Fred and Doc but it's been pathetic. Fred is the bigger disappointment for me so far.
This whole discussion is an exercise in futility. Why does it matter? Both are struggling. Both seem to be recruiting well. Both are running in to a buzz saw in the B1G. Both have got at least a couple of years to prove they're the guys. Obviously the expectations were raised when we hired Fred and paid him 4 million but man Nebrasketball is still a tough sell especially without being able to get recruits inside the Vault on a game day. IMO, Frost's best players are guys from his last 2 classes. When they get to be juniors and seniors we'll have the answer IMO to whether or not Frost is the guy. He's got 2 years in my eyes to get us back to at least the level we were at when we hired Riley. Riley destroyed our talent level IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT