ADVERTISEMENT

More surprising disappointment so far, Scott or Fred?

Evidently, you do it by winning 4 games. Then 5 games. Then 2 games. Go Frost Go! :rolleyes:
IF all people are worried about is getting to 9 wins, we need to do what Tom did for Pelini by scheduling a weaker non-conference schedule. The idea that we need to schedule a tough non-conference schedule for the playoff committee is ludicrous. Put a bunch of patsies on the schedule and get 4 wins in the non-con. That's our only shot with the way the B1G treats us in scheduling.

Way more disappointed in Frost. Him and Mike Gundy were 1a and 1b for me. Nobody does more with less than Gundy.

That being said I thought Frost would do whatever it took for us to WIN....NOT just HIS WAY. I didn't see him being this arrogant and refusing to change. This isn't a beauty contest.

He's had the GREATEST teachers from Osborne, Snyder, Parcells, Belichick, Kelly and others. Sadly I don't think he will coach his ass off til he's on the hot seat..

I kind of thought the opposite with Frost, I was thinking he would win, and I would put up with his arrogance and stubbornness, on a personal level I thought he was an asshole as a player but drank some of the kool-aid as far as coaching.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
IF all people are worried about is getting to 9 wins, we need to do what Tom did for Pelini by scheduling a weaker non-conference schedule. The idea that we need to schedule a tough non-conference schedule for the playoff committee is ludicrous. Put a bunch of patsies on the schedule and get 4 wins in the non-con. That's our only shot with the way the B1G treats us in scheduling.

Well Nebraska has always scheduled some Power5 team and I don’t expect that to change..
Hayden Fry eventually water down the Iowa schedule by 1985 we don’t want to do anything like that in the future..

Everything I read said he had zero interest in coaching in college. 4 million per year might have been tough to turn down but that would have been quite a leap to take to sign a guy who has never recruited or coached in college. It seems to be working for Michigan though.
In the current climate of college basketball I would almost want a guy who is more NBA. I think 95 percent of the players Who start feel they are playing in college only to get to the NBA. I would assume Hoiberg can use that to his advantage in recruiting. I feel he coaches more NBA style as well which hopefully works out long term. He isn’t really controlling each play we like it used to be 10 years ago. More exciting to watch if players do it right but what we are watching isn’t it right now.

Reactions: dinglefritz

I think we have been scheduling pretty weak opponents. Colorado and UCLA aren’t exactly powerhouses, but maybe we should just go full K-Sate mode and load up on fat kid cupcakes.

Reactions: oldjar07
In the current climate of college basketball I would almost want a guy who is more NBA. I think 95 percent of the players Who start feel they are playing in college only to get to the NBA. I would assume Hoiberg can use that to his advantage in recruiting. I feel he coaches more NBA style as well which hopefully works out long term. He isn’t really controlling each play we like it used to be 10 years ago. More exciting to watch if players do it right but what we are watching isn’t it right now.
We tried it the other way with Miles and that clearly didn't work. We don't have the cred it takes to be able to get guys in and coach them like coach K does so IMO I think you're right. NBA linked coach and let em play. It almost looked to me like Fred was getting some blowback from the players wanting to freestyle so he let them hang themselves at OSU. Pavelka and Jake were talking about the balance between letting them play freely and making them follow the system. I will guess they will play a more disciplined style their next few games. That OSU game deteriorated very early in to playground ball. This would be the point where Miles would bench some starters and run the walkons out there early.

I think we have been scheduling pretty weak opponents. Colorado and UCLA aren’t exactly powerhouses, but maybe we should just go full K-Sate mode and load up on fat kid cupcakes.

UCLA was pretty good when we played them in 2012 and 2013 unlike Colorado two games...

Colorado and UCLA aren't as cupcakey as they need to be. Colorado has been well coached and they've had some dudes. Likewise UCLA always has some talent. I'm talking about scheduling KU type teams. You know, teams like Pacific that drop football a year or two after they play NU.:Cool:

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
We tried it the other way with Miles and that clearly didn't work. We don't have the cred it takes to be able to get guys in and coach them like coach K does so IMO I think you're right. NBA linked coach and let em play. It almost looked to me like Fred was getting some blowback from the players wanting to freestyle so he let them hang themselves at OSU. Pavelka and Jake were talking about the balance between letting them play freely and making them follow the system. I will guess they will play a more disciplined style their next few games. That OSU game deteriorated very early in to playground ball. This would be the point where Miles would bench some starters and run the walkons out there early.
I think you are right in he let them do it themselves to show it fails. but after 40 games now it’s become old. People saying if we shoot better we win is so dumb. Well of course; but we don’t so let’s find another way to win since you won’t shoot well every night. When Creighton can call two plays for an action and switch the play based off how the defense reacts to that action and we just stand around Watching 1 guy the percentages won’t work in our favor over the course of the game. The nice thing about basketball is you can always adjust throughout a season and get better.

I think you are right in he let them do it themselves to show it fails. but after 40 games now it’s become old. People saying if we shoot better we win is so dumb. Well of course; but we don’t so let’s find another way to win since you won’t shoot well every night. When Creighton can call two plays for an action and switch the play based off how the defense reacts to that action and we just stand around Watching 1 guy the percentages won’t work in our favor over the course of the game. The nice thing about basketball is you can always adjust throughout a season and get better.
Creighton's talent level for right now is so much higher than NU that it isn't funny. Comparing what they can do to what Fred can do with this group doesn't make much sense to me yet. JMO. As I've stated on here several times, I wasn't as wired about the potential of these guys as some were. Yes we're longer but we're not really bigger. That lack of a legitimate presence in the paint is killing us on both ends. It's one thing to say you're going to play an up tempo game, shoot 3s and slash to the basket with a smaller lineup. It's an entirely different thing to do it in the B1G. The Golden Sate Warriors could do it but they had 3 or 4 guys who could drain 3s from outside of 35 feet. As I posted in an earlier thread, people bitched about Timmy's offense. His offense looked like Wooden had designed it compared to what we've seen these last 2 games. I'm not sure how coachable our leading scorer is right now.

Reactions: The Bearded One
So how many years he head left on his contract had nothing to do with his lame duck status? Alrighty then. The AD wasn't openly debating whether or not we should fire him but any time you fail to give a coach with a year or two left on their contract some sort of written "vote of confidence" by a contract extension, you invite the speculation about his termination.
Nope it doesn't matter even a little bit. There would be speculation about his termination regardless. Although it may take time sometimes, the fans generally know when a coach is underperforming.

They tease us with quarters and halves of some really good football. I'm hopeful that maybe we can start putting together whole games of good play next year. The QB play, bad snaps and penalties have been the bugaboo. I don't think it's a physical talent issue anymore. The snaps and penalties SHOULD be easily fixed but watching I think the Florida game the other day I think it was (might have been Miami), they had a BUNCH of bad snaps too. Snap after snap in the dirt.

IF we can get our QB to take care of the ball and we eliminate some penalties, I think we could be pretty good. Martinez has a ton of talent and I can see why Frost wanted him but DAMN he screws up a lot.
Anybody can have a good quarter or half of football. The fact that since Frost has been here, the team has played few, if any, complete games is an indictment of this coaching staff.

Reactions: The Bearded One
Well Nebraska has always scheduled some Power5 team and I don’t expect that to change..
Hayden Fry eventually water down the Iowa schedule by 1985 we don’t want to do anything like that in the future..
Dingle is the king of making shit up, and he knows more than he let's on. Not only does he habitually back losers, he finds anyway possible to cover for them when he knows better.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
We better be, I mean good gawd that will be 4 years of his recruits and we’re having doubts if he can muster up 6 wins. The schedule is brutal though, but still. We definitely didn’t make any overall improvements in 2020 from 2019. This will be the biggest off season for Frost if it’s going to work out.
I'm not putting much weight on that first class. It was a last ditch effort to fill roster holes and clearly Frost's reluctance to take the job before his bowl game destroyed that class. Yes Adrian was in that class but man other than that.... Year 5 IMO will tell us a lot. Originally I thought next year was the year to expect major improvement but I vastly overestimated that first class's impact.

I agree I thought Lue would do a great job and maybe even better. I heard he was interested but Moos didn’t like he didn’t have college experience. I thought Fred would have top players by now but we do get the 22nd overall ranked player next year. So that should change a lot. Again, if Fred wins 1 NCAA tournament game Then he will he the most successful in program history.

Yes, it's an extremely LOW BAR for Hoiberg. All he has to do is finish in the top half of Big Ten, make the NCAA and win ONE measly game then his salary is justified and he is worshipped!

Meanwhile the George Mason's, VCU and the Loyola Chicago's of the world will be laughing at how pathetic that is.

Meanwhile Scott has to at least win the Big Ten Championship in the next couple of years. Which means he has to win the division first, something that hasn't been achieved since Pelini was here....

Only 3 non con games anymore

I don’t know what he is getting at..Pelini at Nebraska had Virginia Tech, Washington,UCLA and Miami Fl and also played Fresno St and Wyoming..

Nebraska has always played a big non-con game. However, with 9 game conference schedules, we might want to rethink that. It’s not like teams are actually punished for their non conferences schedules.

Nebraska has always played a big non-con game. However, with 9 game conference schedules, we might want to rethink that. It’s not like teams are actually punished for their non conferences schedules.

We know the SEC doesn’t and they only play 8 conference games, the exception was this Covid year..

Reactions: headcard
I don’t think Frost seems lost (just because he isn’t doing things the way you want doesn’t mean he’s lost) and I’m not sure Fred took over a worse situation. Miles teams were competitive and had actually had back to back winning seasons prior to Fred taking over. Fred chose to completely blow up the roster. It is usually a pretty quick process to flip a basketball roster. I like Fred a lot and was ecstatic when he was hired, but I am shocked how bad we are right now.

Who did Fred boot who would have helped us? He kept Burke and Thor. We were going to win more games with Harris, Heiman, Davis, and Allen?

Dude....are YOU serious?? You do realize that's its some REAL Nebraska fans on here who KNOW every team we have played in the last 40 years don't you?

I understand you and about 6 others on here are Frost apologist's to the bone, maybe y'all work for him but the most of us don't. Until recently Nebraska ALWAYS played at least 1 good team OOC. You say Tom made an easy schedule for Pelini....well let's look at your FACTS.

2008 Virginia Tech
2009 at Virginia Tech
2010 at Washington
2011 Washington ...plus Fresno State and at Wyoming
2012 at UCLA
2013 UCLA plus Wyoming
2014 Miami and at Fresno St

And would have been BYU and at Miami in 2015 and Oregon in 2016 had he not got fired. Meanwhile while Frost Colorado 2wice and got beat and would have played Cincinnati this year....NOT POWER 5. So where's Frost tough OOC game so far? Can't even beat Illinois, Indy, PERDY or NW

At least try not to be so BIASED from now on b4 you hit REPLY please.

Dude....are YOU serious?? You do realize that's its some REAL Nebraska fans on here who KNOW every team we have played in the last 40 years don't you?

I understand you and about 6 others on here are Frost apologist's to the bone, maybe y'all work for him but the most of us don't. Until recently Nebraska ALWAYS played at least 1 good team OOC. You say Tom made an easy schedule for Pelini....well let's look at your FACTS.

2008 Virginia Tech
2009 at Virginia Tech
2010 at Washington
2011 Washington ...plus Fresno State and at Wyoming
2012 at UCLA
2013 UCLA plus Wyoming
2014 Miami and at Fresno St

And would have been BYU and at Miami in 2015 and Oregon in 2016 had he not got fired. Meanwhile while Frost Colorado 2wice and got beat and would have played Cincinnati this year....NOT POWER 5. So where's Frost tough OOC game so far? Can't even beat Illinois, Indy, PERDY or NW

At least try not to be so BIASED from now on b4 you hit REPLY please.
DUDE!. I realize that Tom tried to schedule ONE good team as a test early in the season. One out of four or five. While they were normally a reasonably good program, they were also normally a program that he thought we would be able to beat. Unfortunately with the new conference scheduling, we only get 3 non-conference games next year and only OU and Buffalo in the preseason. IF you look at those games that Bo's teams played, NONE of those teams were having great success when they were put on the schedule. Also to our detriment, Buffalo has gotten things rolling. They are not an automatic W anymore.

Contrary to you calling me a "Frost apologist" making the point that Frost needs several creampuffs on the schedule to get to .500 is probably not a ringing endorsement of where we are right now. You really should take that picture of Bo down off of your bedroom ceiling.

Last edited:
I don’t know what he is getting at..Pelini at Nebraska had Virginia Tech, Washington,UCLA and Miami Fl and also played Fresno St and Wyoming..
None of those teams were doing jack sh## when they were put on the schedule. Our expectations at the time were that we would have a pretty good shot of whacking a team who had 3-4 losses the year before. Frost gets Oklahoma next fall. THAT was a stupid idea. Fun for nostalgia's sake....but stupid. Win the game and you're off to the races but I'll give us about a 5% chance or less of that happening.

None of those teams were doing jack sh## when they were put on the schedule. Our expectations at the time were that we would have a pretty good shot of whacking a team who had 3-4 losses the year before. Frost gets Oklahoma next fall. THAT was a stupid idea. Fun for nostalgia's sake....but stupid. Win the game and you're off to the races but I'll give us about a 5% chance or less of that happening.

Your not naive enough to know scheduling those games are made years upon years in advance..

When this years schedule was made we had no idea at the time who would be the Head Coach at Nebraska...

Your not naive enough to know scheduling those games are made years upon years in advance..

When this years schedule was made we had no idea at the time who would be the Head Coach at Nebraska...
I think OU was added pretty recently. Did Eichorst add it? In any case, OU has been really good ever since Stoops got there. It was a dumb idea when you're trying to rebuild a program. JMO.

KState whipped a very good OU team that destroyed Top10 Florida a few days ago. I’ve never understood the KSU bashing on this board. Nobody does more with less than KState...I respect that.

Yep. They are disciplined and have an outstanding special teams unit every year. Plus their qb’s are never bad, meaning they don’t lose them the games with stupid decisions.

I think OU was added pretty recently. Did Eichorst add it? In any case, OU has been really good ever since Stoops got there. It was a dumb idea when you're trying to rebuild a program. JMO.
I'm glad we're playing OU and like that we schedule marquee games outside of our lame conference full of lame and unexciting opponents.

Tom Osborne scheduled those OU games back in 2012 - you know back when he was scheduling all those easy games for Pelini

Last edited:
I think it was scheduled to commentate the 50th anniversary of the game of the century. Probably not a bad idea at the time.

Tom Osborne scheduled those OU games back in 2012 - you know back when he was scheduling all those easy games for Pelini
You better show us your source for that one. Coming from you I only will believe it when I see a legit media source.

You better show us your source for that one. Coming from you I only will believe it when I see a legit media source.

link

The Nebraska Athletic Department announced Thursday that it has signed a contract for a home-and-home football series with the University of Oklahoma. The two long-time rivals will renew their historic rivalry with games in 2021 in Norman and 2022 in Lincoln.
The first matchup is scheduled for Sept. 18, 2021, at Oklahoma, and the teams will meet at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln on Sept. 17, 2022.
"Our rivalry with Oklahoma has been one of the great traditional matchups in the history of college football," Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne said. "The games between the two schools were generally to decide a conference championship, and many times helped determine the national champion. Those matchups were always played with great intensity on the field, but with a great deal of respect from both sides and among the fan bases.
"I know our fans look forward to non-conference games against high-profile opponents like Oklahoma. I'm pleased we were able to finalize this series.

Last edited:
I want to say Hoiberg but I can't unsee the Illinois and Rutgers games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT