ADVERTISEMENT

More Scenes from Spring Practice

If you want to relive the pain.

NW game - 6 red zone trips, 1 TD (we had the ball on the 3 after a pick), 2 FG, 1 missed FG, one pick and a turnover on downs.

Iowa - 4 trips, 2 TD’s and 2 FG’s

Minn - 4 trips, 2 TD’s, 1 FG, 1 missed FG

14 trips, 5 TD’s, 5 FG’s, 2 missed FG’s, 1 pick and 1 turnover on downs.

That’s the difference between a 6-2, top 25 team and a 3-5 team. The hype machine tells me we’re close to being a good team, I just don’t have much faith anything will be different.

NW game - 6 red zone trips, 1 TD (we had the ball on the 3 after a pick), 2 FG, 1 missed FG, one pick and a turnover on downs.

That’s the difference between a 6-2, top 25 team and a 3-5 team. The hype machine tells me we’re close to being a good team, I just don’t have much faith anything will be different.
Those numbers are rough and I agree that they are a huge part of why this team hasnt had a winning record under frost. However I do have some faith that this year we will get to see some light at the end of the tunnel. I dont think we have had the talent up front to consitently get tough yards on the ground in the red zone over the last few years. I think this group will be better in that area. Being a threat to run it in the red zone should give us a better chance throw it. And receivers that can go up and get it should help to.

How many targets to the 6'8 or 6'6 TEs versus targets to a 5 '8 scat back in the Red Zone? It's also the play calling that makes you go Hmm, WTF , why did they call that play

Reactions: jeans1515
I agree we need to be better throwing downfield, but our biggest issue on offense, by far, is scoring TDs in the redzone (and in general)

we were atrocious in that aspect each of the last 2 years

we rack up tons of yards between the 20s (and, often from inside our own 20 thanks to shoddy special teams), but really bog down when it matters most

that's why those touting AM's total yardage 'records' are laughed out of the room by me and others who understand winning football
That’s why we need to give the rock to a bell cow RB once we hit the 20s

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Caleb Tannor has actually came a long ways. They are starting to us him more as a pass rusher (they should have done that from the beginning). I won’t say anything bad about Nelson but Tannor has improved some.
I’ve seen enough tape of him over the years where they did try to use him as a rusher and on stunts he just wasn’t effective at doing it. He has been developing, I like Dawson as a position coach, excited to see what the OLBs do under him this season

I’ve seen enough tape of him over the years where they did try to use him as a rusher and on stunts he just wasn’t effective at doing it. He has been developing, I like Dawson as a position coach, excited to see what the OLBs do under him this season

At times he was playing with his hands in the dirt this past season along the Dline, at DE.

I agree we need to be better throwing downfield, but our biggest issue on offense, by far, is scoring TDs in the redzone (and in general)

we were atrocious in that aspect each of the last 2 years

we rack up tons of yards between the 20s (and, often from inside our own 20 thanks to shoddy special teams), but really bog down when it matters most

that's why those touting AM's total yardage 'records' are laughed out of the room by me and others who understand winning football
When we get the ball into the red zone, opposing defenses are going to dare us to throw the ball. They'll key on the run. They know our chances of passing for a touchdown are low.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Caleb Tannor has actually came a long ways. They are starting to us him more as a pass rusher (they should have done that from the beginning). I won’t say anything bad about Nelson but Tannor has improved
No he hasn't. Last year was his worst year yet. He was recruited to be a pass rusher, but he's less than mediocre even at that. Hate to break it to you, but he doesn't belong on a division I field getting significant playing time.

Only concerning thing I noticed was we never see #2 drop back and get rid of the ball quickly. Always improvising. Either the online isn't giving him time or he's still not seeing the field and holding the ball too long.

Reactions: huntered
ADVERTISEMENT