ADVERTISEMENT

More quips from Whip ..:

Mahomes is not a good example. He is a passing qb. Take away his ability to pass and he would be worthless.....
Ya don't say..... But he utilized to extend plays and called QB runs to tighten up the front 7 of a defense. Nowhere did I say an NFL QB was a rushing QB. But with thr threat it opens up an offense ala Josh Allen

Reactions: BleedRed78
Ya don't say..... But he utilized to extend plays and called QB runs to tighten up the front 7 of a defense. Nowhere did I say an NFL QB was a rushing QB. But with thr threat it opens up an offense ala Josh Allen

Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes are not running qbs. They are pocket qbs that can run. These guys will hang banners for their franchises. Murray and Jackson would be completely worthless without being able to run. These guys will never win a damn thing in the NFL....

I think CT has an injury that hasn't been made public for obvious reasons. Gutsy guy!

Reactions: dinglefritz
CT is not durable and should not be running it more. We have good running backs and they should focus on the line blocking for those backs and not trying to "gimmick" their way in the run game by exposing CT to hits. I have no issue with Whipple holding down the number of carries for CT.
This.

First, CT is NOT an instinctive runner. Serviceable at best but not a dependable runner. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is.

Second, he seems to constantly have little nicks and bumps. Getting tapped, sore this or that. It's football, everyone is hurt.

Why try to make a kid do something that he is not good at. Some on here said he could have run for "50 yards" in the first quarter last week. I watched the play and no way. Sure everyone dropped into coverage and the middle was wide open but there was no way Casey was going to get there. His yards rushing are bonus yards you don't expect.

This.

First, CT is NOT an instinctive runner. Serviceable at best but not a dependable runner. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is.

Second, he seems to constantly have little nicks and bumps. Getting tapped, sore this or that. It's football, everyone is hurt.

Why try to make a kid do something that he is not good at. Some on here said he could have run for "50 yards" in the first quarter last week. I watched the play and no way. Sure everyone dropped into coverage and the middle was wide open but there was no way Casey was going to get there. His yards rushing are bonus yards you don't expect.
I would never suggest a designed run with CT, my biggest beef with him is when its 3rd down or 2nd and long, if the yards are there go get them. Hate seeing him take a sack in those situations by hanging onto the ball too long.

Reactions: BleedRed78
And yet, Matt Stafford lifted the trophy
So are you telling me you would rather have Stafford over Josh Allen or Mahomes ? I certainly wouldn't, but that's just one man's opinion. As a life long 49er fan I always preferred a QB with wheels ala Steve Young.

So are you telling me you would rather have Stafford over Josh Allen or Mahomes ? I certainly wouldn't, but that's just one man's opinion. As a life long 49er fan I always preferred a QB with wheels ala Steve Young.
an offense predicated on the quarterback run game has an inherently lower ceiling

the evidence is overwhelming

I don't disagree with you but there is a place for strategic design run as well.
agreed. we have run the quarterback twice in the red zone this year (a place for it)

we have scored 2 touchdowns

people calling for the infinitely less capable backup to come in for a series to change it up are absolute morons

Reactions: Anegada1
Josh Allen runs all over the field. Pat Mahomes does, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Kenny Pickett, Geno Smith, Russell Wilson, and Joe Burrow will run around a bit too. The days of Tom Brady and Peyton Mannings sitting back in the pocket and shredding defenses are over. You gotta be mobile nowadays.
This isn't a black and white issue in my opinion. The best quarterbacks are pass centric first. They can distribute the ball to playmakers while limiting hits to themselves. Tom brady, Matthew Stafford, Joe flacco and Peyton Manning come to mind. None of them can run for s***.

A few dynamic quarterbacks are passers, but also have an ability to run it, so it would be stupid to not have them pick up some yards here and there. Think Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson and Steve Young. They keep drives a lot that lead to points.

Then there's guys like Michael Vick and Lamar Jackson. They can pass reasonably well, but we think their tendency is to rely on the strength of their running, to the detriment of their team. If their first instinct is to run when things fall apart, that is not a recipe for championships. You'll win a lot of regular season games, but the best defenses will hem you in deep in the playoffs. Good passing is such a requisite within the red zone. Not entirely, but you rarely take it into the end zone without completing some passes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT