ADVERTISEMENT

More quips from Whip ..:

Okay, he’s growing on me. I was bashing him during the game because I don’t like his finesse style, pass heavy O. I do like that he leaned on the run that last game. We have a stud RB stable. If CT gains some confidence these next few weeks we could be a scary team for anyone.

Okay, he’s growing on me. I was bashing him during the game because I don’t like his finesse style, pass heavy O. I do like that he leaned on the run that last game. We have a stud RB stable. If CT gains some confidence these next few weeks we could be a scary team for anyone.
If CT sees one on one coverage deep with Palmer he needs to let it fly and trust his receiver is better than their DB - he is hesitating and waiting to see if Palmer is wide open or coming off of the route too early

This head coach and two coordinators are all growing on me. They saw the losing culture and are going old school to change it....LOVE IT!!

What is with the obsession over running the quarterback?

do you people actually watch football?

1A57F577-F2F8-4A8F-B7D8-FC13EC431B67.gif

More zone read with the QB keeping the ball would help. My unofficial stat, 95% hand off on a zone read play. Change that to 80% and LBs won't be able to commit to just stopping the RB.

CT doesn't strike me a the most durable guy - instead of QB run threat to hold the LBs you run RPO

QB is reading the LB - if he fills too quickly in run support you throw the slant to the space vacated and your QB isn't taking hits

Last edited:
If CT sees one on one coverage deep with Palmer he needs to let it fly and trust his receiver is better than their DB - he is hesitating and waiting to see if Palmer is wide open or coming off of the route too early
My issues with Casey are he isn't big (listed at 6' realistically 5'10"), he isn't fast, and he doesn't have a strong arm. You gotta win with your head and your accuracy if you're built like him. He hasn't been doing that but I think he can.

Reactions: BleedRed78
More zone read with the QB keeping the ball would help. My unofficial stat, 95% hand off on a zone read play. Change that to 80% and LBs won't be able to commit to just stopping the RB.
Casey is too slow to be a threat running it. He does need to keep it more to keep them honest though.

NU ran the ball 51 times and attempted 27 passes. Nearly a 2:1 ratio.

CT is not durable and should not be running it more. We have good running backs and they should focus on the line blocking for those backs and not trying to "gimmick" their way in the run game by exposing CT to hits. I have no issue with Whipple holding down the number of carries for CT.
Right now, the number of carries for CT are limited to sacks and scrambles. No one is asking the kid to be Adrian Martinez, but maybe run as much as Joe Ganz did his Sr year.

NU ran the ball 51 times and attempted 27 passes. Nearly a 2:1 ratio.
And they won. They leaned on the run. I’m just not a fan of his body of work or some of the play calling I saw early on, which could easily be an execution problem due to lack of effort

Reactions: king_kong_
Haha apparently you don’t watch football.

The best young NFL QBs say hi. Hell even Kenny Picket had 2 rushing TDs Sunday
what do lamar jackson, josh allen, kyler murray, etc., all have in common?

they haven't won shit

the quarterback run game is often necessary lipstick on a pig, and limits a team's overall upside dramatically

there is a mountain of evidence to back this up, but that will never stop simpletons from thinking it's still the wave of the future

Right now, the number of carries for CT are limited to sacks and scrambles. No one is asking the kid to be Adrian Martinez, but maybe run as much as Joe Ganz did his Sr year.
I have no issue with him taking off on a scramble to pick up whatever yards he can. But I don't think it wise to multiply his carries by design.

Are they actually running ZR or is it just inside zone?
it's inside zone (obviously)

plenty of bumkins learned a new word (zone read!) and now every shotgun handoff is an option play

we've run zone read twice in the red zone. the result? two touchdowns

Whipple's been doing this a long time. last week, it showed.

Reactions: Truewooper
What is with the obsession over running the quarterback?

do you people actually watch football?
Josh Allen runs all over the field. Pat Mahomes does, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Kenny Pickett, Geno Smith, Russell Wilson, and Joe Burrow will run around a bit too. The days of Tom Brady and Peyton Mannings sitting back in the pocket and shredding defenses are over. You gotta be mobile nowadays.

Josh Allen runs all over the field. Pat Mahomes does, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Kenny Pickett, Geno Smith, Russell Wilson, and Joe Burrow will run around a bit too. The days of Tom Brady and Peyton Mannings sitting back in the pocket and shredding defenses are over. You gotta be mobile nowadays.
need to differentiate scrambling versus a QB run option as part of the play design
those are very different circumstances

we have some QB run options to be used sparingly in critical situations

go back and look at CT's career stats - he isn't a runner

Reactions: NikkiSixx
need to differentiate scrambling versus a QB run option as part of the play design
those are very different circumstances

we have some QB run options to be used sparingly in critical situations

go back and look at CT's career stats - he isn't a runner
No Thompson is not a runner. If he was they would be running him more.

And yet, Matt Stafford lifted the trophy

Reactions: huskerdrb
I don’t see a problem with the offensive play calling. Problems with execution? Yes. Problems with the line? Huge Yes.

You can’t play call your way out of that.

CT is not durable and should not be running it more. We have good running backs and they should focus on the line blocking for those backs and not trying to "gimmick" their way in the run game by exposing CT to hits. I have no issue with Whipple holding down the number of carries for CT.
Why not run a couple of series with Smothers, or even a couple of wildcats during the game as the situation dictates?

Why not run a couple of series with Smothers, or even a couple of wildcats during the game as the situation dictates?
because he's an infinitely worse player than Thompson and only a complete moron would choose to play bad players over good ones?

And yet, Matt Stafford lifted the trophy
Stafford not a good example. Mahomes has won a trophy as well as Wilson. I see what you are trying to say. But last year's Rams Superbowl was not because of Stafford's pocket ability.

Stafford not a good example. Mahomes has won a trophy as well as Wilson. I see what you are trying to say. But last year's Rams Superbowl was not because of Stafford's pocket ability.

Mahomes is not a good example. He is a passing qb. Take away his ability to pass and he would be worthless.....

Reactions: king_kong_
you have just provided the complete list of "mobile" Super Bowl champs during the entire 2000s, and both are pass-first guys

for posterity, I believe only 2 700-yard+ rushers have won the national title in the 2000s, as well (cam newton and the ohiost kid who didn't play skool)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT