More jobs on the way.,,

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
More than 150 world leaders, including Amazon boss Jeff Bezos, Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff and Ford Motor Company executive chairman Bill Ford, signed an open letter to President Joe Biden to pledge their support to the new administration’s goals to combat climate change.

In particular, the open letter, released Sunday, underscored the potential job growth new climate change mitigation technology will provide.

“You’ve famously said: ‘When I hear the words climate change, I hear jobs.’ We agree,” the open letter says. “While the climate crisis presents incredible challenges, it is also the greatest economic opportunity for innovation, job creation, new businesses, and investment in our communities.”

Biden made combating climate change one of the pillars of his campaign and outlined a $2 trillion plan that would create jobs by rebuilding infrastructure in the United States in a sustainable manner, upgrading buildings and weatherizing homes, investing in the development and commercialization of clean energy technology, to name a few initiatives.

“Your commitment to build back better with clean energy jobs and tackling the legacy of environmental injustice is the consequential action that science and our future demands,” the open letter says. “We will work alongside you to realize this ambitious pursuit.”

The coronavirus pandemic decimated the job market in the United States, and while there has been some recovery from the nadir in the spring, there are still many millions of jobs which have not yet come.

On Biden’s first day in office, he rejoined the Paris Climate Agreement, an international treatise to keep global warming under 2 degrees Celsius when compared to pre-industrial levels.

“By rejoining the Paris Agreement on day one, you have moved the United States in the right direction,” the open letter reads. “But, as you have stated, it is simply not enough, and we must ‘do all we possibly can.’”

scopeandtime

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
More than 150 world leaders, including Amazon boss Jeff Bezos, Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff and Ford Motor Company executive chairman Bill Ford, signed an open letter to President Joe Biden to pledge their support to the new administration’s goals to combat climate change.

In particular, the open letter, released Sunday, underscored the potential job growth new climate change mitigation technology will provide.

“You’ve famously said: ‘When I hear the words climate change, I hear jobs.’ We agree,” the open letter says. “While the climate crisis presents incredible challenges, it is also the greatest economic opportunity for innovation, job creation, new businesses, and investment in our communities.”

Biden made combating climate change one of the pillars of his campaign and outlined a $2 trillion plan that would create jobs by rebuilding infrastructure in the United States in a sustainable manner, upgrading buildings and weatherizing homes, investing in the development and commercialization of clean energy technology, to name a few initiatives.

“Your commitment to build back better with clean energy jobs and tackling the legacy of environmental injustice is the consequential action that science and our future demands,” the open letter says. “We will work alongside you to realize this ambitious pursuit.”

The coronavirus pandemic decimated the job market in the United States, and while there has been some recovery from the nadir in the spring, there are still many millions of jobs which have not yet come.

On Biden’s first day in office, he rejoined the Paris Climate Agreement, an international treatise to keep global warming under 2 degrees Celsius when compared to pre-industrial levels.

“By rejoining the Paris Agreement on day one, you have moved the United States in the right direction,” the open letter reads. “But, as you have stated, it is simply not enough, and we must ‘do all we possibly can.’”
I have a boner now. Jeez.

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001

The Paris Agreement is completely worthless as it is an executive agreement rather than a binding treaty. That is why almost no nations have done what they claimed they would do with the agreement. That was also prior to the United States dropping out. I take the same approach on thoughts about these agreements and NATO spending. The United States is the only one that seems to actually do what they claim in these pledges. AKA we are the suckers who get gouged.

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
The Paris Agreement is completely worthless as it is an executive agreement rather than a binding treaty. That is why almost no nations have done what they claimed they would do with the agreement. That was also prior to the United States dropping out. I take the same approach on thoughts about these agreements and NATO spending. The United States is the only one that seems to actually do what they claim in these pledges. AKA we are the suckers who get gouged.
Looks like we are about to become the Big Bois of Clean Jobs. Once Transportation Mayor Pete and Big Balls Biden roll out their infrastructure plan, it's gonna be yuge!

philosophusker

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Jonesboro, Arkansas (York, NE originally)

Nice.

Better than anything Trump ever did. All he did was hate Tweet and golf.

Last edited:

H2Oman

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2001
Looks like the folks who really predict future economic opportunity are taking a much different tack. Thank God. I’d hate to see us miss out on the economic engine of the next century.

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana

As always, the answer lies in the middle. Trump was stupid for pulling out of the Paris agreement, but our people should do a better job of positioning ourselves. Same thing with the Iran nuke agreement.

jja699

Sophomore
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2007
Problem I have with some of it. Is we cut jobs paying 6 figures to pay guys 30 to 50k. Seen that with the wind mill people. Last report I saw it would cut 6 energy jobs for every green job we create. So are we really creating jobs or losing jobs?

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
Problem I have with some of it. Is we cut jobs paying 6 figures to pay guys 30 to 50k. Seen that with the wind mill people. Last report I saw it would cut 6 energy jobs for every green job we create. So are we really creating jobs or losing jobs?

I suspect the report you saw was biased. And we’ve already seen a large cut in oilfield jobs. And we’re still going to need some of those for another 30 years.

Reactions: 94husker

jja699

Sophomore
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2007
Doesn’t just effect oil your talking miners, railroad employees. Lots more than just oil rig guys.

hephusker

Sophomore
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2011
I agree. You can’t create jobs and economic growth by breaking windows and paying people to fix them. Honest question. Where is the money going to come from to carry out these green “investments”. If the answer is taxes then these are not created jobs. They are just jobs created by diverting investment from another area, typically misdirected and inefficient since government, not the market decides allocation. This is not “hate speech”.. just entry level economic theory.

I have no problem with replacing fossil fuel with any energy that is cheaper and proven to be environmentally friendlier. I don’t think that is available as of yet. Also, people overlook the costs of “green energy”. It has to be generated somehow...batteries and the grid require mined components, fossil fuels, etc. The simplicity of stopping the keystone pipeline and thinking that alone advances green energy is flawed, or at the very least short sighted. Many may not be willing to forego national security or personal financial concerns. Not everyone can go out and buy a Tesla. This should all be discussed and negotiated by out government and not determined by fiat.

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Looks like the folks who really predict future economic opportunity are taking a much different tack. Thank God. I’d hate to see us miss out on the economic engine of the next century.

We can do both. Not sure how people are missing this point. Those industries are NOT ready to take over.

Reactions: countrybob

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
As always, the answer lies in the middle. Trump was stupid for pulling out of the Paris agreement, but our people should do a better job of positioning ourselves. Same thing with the Iran nuke agreement.

Pulling out of that agreement was extremely smart. Still using our own energy that is within our borders and at the same time developing tech for clean jobs can happen at the same time.

H2Oman

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2001
We can do both. Not sure how people are missing this point. Those industries are NOT ready to take over.
You and I are saying much the same thing. However, dying on the anti- Paris Agreement hill is no more strategic than saying US Oil doesn’t need to be brought along.

H2Oman

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2001
Pulling out of that agreement was extremely smart. Still using our own energy that is within our borders and at the same time developing tech for clean jobs can happen at the same time.
How were we doing the second part under the Defendant?

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
Can you explain this a little further, as I'm not sure how you got -5 jobs from windmills?

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
Can’t wait for my electric semi
I rode in a baseline tesla a customer over here has and I've been in the suped up pre hell cat challenger. That telsa would eat it in a 1/4 hands down imo.

The strangest/uneasiness 1-2sec I've ever had in a car happened when the old dude took off and there was no sound. Really freaky for a red neck to feel that much torque and not hear anything.

If you ever drive an electric semi I'm guessing you'll love the power/throttle response.

jja699

Sophomore
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2007
Can you explain this a little further, as I'm not sure how you got -5 jobs from windmills?
That was a report on the new green deal you would loose anywhere from 4 to 6 energy jobs for every 1 green energy job they would create. Was nothing to do with windmills was using that as a pay reference. Windmill tech pay 37k to 52k. I know guys all over the energy field making 100k or more now. Just wish we could create Better praying green jobs.

Reactions: hephusker

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
That was a report on the new green deal you would loose anywhere from 4 to 6 energy jobs for every 1 green energy job they would create. Was nothing to do with windmills was using that as a pay reference. Windmill tech pay 37k to 52k. I know guys all over the energy field making 100k or more now. Just wish we could create Better praying green jobs.
Those are road whores in the energy field making 100k tho right? Please show me all these energy field jobs paying 100k around omaha/SW iowa.

So far green energy is 100% a job maker sorry.

jja699

Sophomore
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2007
Lol come to Wyoming. You will see 100k or what’s left of it. Plus it effects more than just what your thinking. Lots of railroaders make 100k and more. Union Pacific has the lowest amount of man power we have ever had. A lot is due to coal decline. Guys up at the mines I know make 100k. There is some really good paying jobs going away. Just to bad we replace them with 37k to 52k.

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
Lol come to Wyoming. You will see 100k or what’s left of it. Plus it effects more than just what your thinking. Lots of railroaders make 100k and more. Union Pacific has the lowest amount of man power we have ever had. A lot is due to coal decline. Guys up at the mines I know make 100k. There is some really good paying jobs going away. Just to bad we replace them with 37k to 52k.
Like I said, lots of road whores 🤷‍♂️ you pay a lot to pull people to BFE Wyoming and N Dak Gas fields imo.

You also realize their are plenty of Windmill mill guys making bank. 35k starting out with zero knowledge is a pretty good job around here.

jja699

Sophomore
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2007
Like I said lot of road whores, you pay a lot to pull people to BFE Wyoming and N Dak Gas fields imo.

You also realize their are plenty of Windmill mill guys making bank. 35k starting out with zero knowledge is a pretty good job around here.
Guess made more than that for so long it doesn’t look good lol.

Reactions: nelsonj22

jja699

Sophomore
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2007
Like I said lot of road whores, you pay a lot to pull people to BFE Wyoming and N Dak Gas fields imo.

Not all road whores guys in the yards in North Platte I know have hit the 100k mark a few times.

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
Guess made more than that for so long it doesn’t look good lol.
Yeah 35k sounds cheap but in sw iowa with no degree/prior knowledge they are hiring apprentice tradesmen at 30k so it's a pretty good job and they are going up like crazy around here.

Biggest thing old energy has over new energy is unions. Love them or hate them, they drive up wages like crazy.

jja699

Sophomore
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2007
Yeah 35k sounds cheap but in sw iowa with no degree/prior knowledge they are hiring apprentice tradesmen at 30k so it's a pretty good job and they are going up like crazy around here.

Biggest thing old energy has over new energy is unions. Love them or hate them, they drive up wages like crazy.
That was actually something I was about to say. Is the Union factor. I look back and I was make 35k working for a Walmart distribution center right out of high school basically. I just think we need to do what we can to make sure workers are getting a good pay in this new field.

Hyattea

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2012
Lincoln

No. Old energy is efficient and wind and solar aren’t.

Jaemekon

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
Like I said, lots of road whores 🤷‍♂️ you pay a lot to pull people to BFE Wyoming and N Dak Gas fields imo.

I worked in the windmill game until the layoffs came. Went to college to "better" my situation instead of signing on with a new company. Terrible mistake, college hasn't rewarded me financially the way that the energy field did. It's just crazy to look back and know that I was making more money as an uneducated 22 year old.