ADVERTISEMENT

More bowl games?

There has to a pretty good kickback to the NCAA for sanctioning all of these exhibitions that do not fill the stands anymore. 6-6 teams going to bowl games, yeah, yeah, yeah, I guess. As long as people have the $$ to make it work, good luck with that.

There has to a pretty good kickback to the NCAA for sanctioning all of these exhibitions that do not fill the stands anymore. 6-6 teams going to bowl games, yeah, yeah, yeah, I guess. As long as people have the $$ to make it work, good luck with that.
My guess is it’s more about good ol’ boys on the so-called Competition Committee making sure a few more good ol’ boy coaches get to collect bonuses for being mediocre at their jobs.

Last edited:
It wasn't long ago some schools were saying they were losing money when they went to a bowl game. If that is true, things will be more watered down. How long can 6/7 win teams keep doing this IF it is not beneficial financially? It is probably all about getting dollars into the businesses of the cities hosting these games that will attract 20,000 people.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Totally on board.

3 more bowls means 3 more fan bases get to spend the off season basking in the glow a a bowl game win.

Plus its an opportunity for CFB junkies to get that last fix in for the summer doldrums.

Go Blue!

That will make about 44 bowl games with almost all of them hosted by one network. I used to enjoy bowl games when there were fewer than 20 back in the 80's. Great matchups with every team coming off a good season. And shown on a variety of networks, which for some reason makes a difference for me.

These days, you don't even have to be a good team to make a bowl game nor does that team even have to be excited about playing in a bowl. It doesn't mean as much anymore. It's all about extra TV revenue going into a few people's pockets and the only reason there is TV revenue is gambling.

This makes me old but I remember when there were only about 10 bowl games and all of them played within the span of about 10 days around New Year's with four or five of them on New Year's Day. There are far, far too many bowl games. There aren't even enough teams with 6 win seasons to fill what we have so why add more?

Each year, I care less and less about the bowl games. @Dean Pope is right. 40+ bowl games on ESPN? Pass.

The CFP has pretty much killed the importance of the bowl games and their traditions. They need to go with 8 teams and eliminate the bowl tie ins. Bowl games were just marketing tools to attract people to a community that would host one. With conference tie-ins and rankings affected by their outcomes, it was the golden era of bowl games. Not anymore.

Ah yes, the 'things were better in my day' crowd. Yep, those bowl games were pretty special way back in the day. Back when #1 and #2 rarely met, teams couldn't go back to the same bowl two years in a row, and the national champion was crowned before the bowl games were even played. Not to mention there was only about a dozen or so because they were super special AND DEFINITELY NOT because there were only three networks.

It's not about ticket sales. It's all about ad time and corporate sponsors. They could probably play in an empty stadium and still make a profit. And as long as that happens they will keep adding games. They're already letting teams with losing records play in some games. It's only a matter of time before they just let every team play one. It's probably coming.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT