ADVERTISEMENT

Moos Should Allow Fans

FIFY

The idiots on this board are amazing. "Why TF won't these tyrant bastards let football games turn into weekly superspreader events that statistically are likely to kill tens-if-not-hundreds of thousands of people if you factor in a whole conference of stadiums?"

Boy TOUGH choice. Do you get a ton of people killed or let them still watch the game from the comfort of their couch?

Why even have speed limits or make people drive on the same side of the road when you think about it, you know? If a semi driver wants to drive west in the eastbound lane and kill a family of 6 that should be his right as an American! If you don't like it, don't drive!

God damn some of you are so aggressively stupid there's nothing to do but just exponentially grow the ignore list so there can be a ghost of a chance to talk actual football in a month.

You forgot to add in the super spreader events known as "The Riots" that have been going on for the past 3+ months in multiple cities, which these same administrators have been advocating (or tacitly approving). Have those events resulted in tens-if-not-hundreds of thousand of deaths?

last week there was close to a full slate of college football games. plenty were played with fans in attendance.

I don't think it's unreasonable for local authorities to do their job and deem whether or not it's safe for their specific communities to host fans versus the conference forcing the decision on them from afar.

Safer inside the outdoor stadiums with limited seating, restriction on age, and masks than it will be in the bars and restaurants. I'm not familiar with restrictions, if any, on tailgating.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Safer inside the outdoor stadiums with limited seating, restriction on age, and masks than it will be in the bars and restaurants. I'm not familiar with restrictions, if any, on tailgating.
no tailgating will be allowed from what I understand. I suspect bars will be jammed.

A few things:

1. Tailgating won't be allowed on campus. The University has no authority to limit tailgating in other areas. I imagine people will get pretty creative.

2. The State of Ohio was going to allow limited capacity at Ohio State. Michigan was not going to allow any fans. I guarantee this stipulation started and ended with Michigan. They likely threw a huge fit because Ohio was going to be allowed fans while the Wolverines would not.

Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Iowa, and Nebraska were going to be allowed fans. I think Penn State would've eventually fallen in line as well.

FIFY

The idiots on this board are amazing. "Why TF won't these tyrant bastards let football games turn into weekly superspreader events that statistically are likely to kill tens-if-not-hundreds of thousands of people if you factor in a whole conference of stadiums?"

Boy TOUGH choice. Do you get a ton of people killed or let them still watch the game from the comfort of their couch?

Why even have speed limits or make people drive on the same side of the road when you think about it, you know? If a semi driver wants to drive west in the eastbound lane and kill a family of 6 that should be his right as an American! If you don't like it, don't drive!

God damn some of you are so aggressively stupid there's nothing to do but just exponentially grow the ignore list so there can be a ghost of a chance to talk actual football in a month.

Why isn't Sturgis a super spreader event? Why aren't the protests super spreader events? There are massive parties happening all over college campuses that aren't super spreader events. Calm down... If you feel like you are super at risk take the proper precaution.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion and they should go with what they think is right for them. I disagree with what you think, but I don't think you are an idiot, you just have a different opinion of how you want to live.

Why isn't Sturgis a super spreader event? Why aren't the protests super spreader events? There are massive parties happening all over college campuses that aren't super spreader events. Calm down... If you feel like you are super at risk take the proper precaution.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion and they should go with what they think is right for them. I disagree with what you think, but I don't think you are an idiot, you just have a different opinion of how you want to live.
The only super spreader in this country was the NYC subway system. Everywhere else has seen a normal progression of the virus.

I think he will, too.
It's not up to Moos, the B1G is controlling the decision. Moos had to cave in on the fan attendance in order to get the other teams to allow any football to take place. So it was a compromise he didn't like but he was forced to make.

Personally, I don't know why the B1G thinks it has to control the attendance for all schools which I think should be up to each school/state if they're ONLY worried about health. I'm thinking though the real issue (unstated of course) was that some of the schools didn't want to face pressure from their own fans if other schools were allowing attendance. And probably they also didn't want to allow any teams with fans in attendance a home game advantage.

Well I don't know about Sturgis BUT the fact is that campus parties are the most significant super spreader events right now. Michigan State, a well-known party school, has had to quarantine 23 fraternity and sorority houses due to a major outbreak of the virus. The quarantine means that none of the house occupants are allowed to leave the building or have any outside visitors for two weeks. If they violate the quarantine they face a fine up to $200 or 6 months in jail.

And earlier in summer, a favorite college bar near the Michigan State campus was the cause of well-over 100 cases of the virus.

Why isn't Sturgis a super spreader event? Why aren't the protests super spreader events? There are massive parties happening all over college campuses that aren't super spreader events.

All those events are "spreader" events.

Maybe semi-spreader, maybe super spreader, maybe super-duper spreader.

Some are tolerated in today's political climate, some are not.

The only super spreader in this country was the NYC subway system. Everywhere else has seen a normal progression of the virus.

100%. They keep acting like these events are causing the entire nation to be infected. It's not. Yes, there are some instances where you get some higher numbers, but not these catastrophic super spreader events that are false. Also, there is plenty of science out there that says this thing dies pretty quickly outside vis UV light. I doubt the daytime football games are going to yield super large outbreaks if crowds of 200K+ people march on DC and there was nothing as well as Sturgis among other events. People need to calm down and take the precautions that fit how they want to live.

All those events are "spreader" events.

Maybe semi-spreader, maybe super spreader, maybe super-duper spreader.

Some are tolerated in today's political climate, some are not.

Exactly. Not super spreader.... Hell you can get the flu, Tuberculosis, etc from these events but nothing stopped us on that in the past.

You forgot to add in the super spreader events known as "The Riots" that have been going on for the past 3+ months in multiple cities, which these same administrators have been advocating (or tacitly approving). Have those events resulted in tens-if-not-hundreds of thousand of deaths?
You clearly already know what you want the answer to be. Welcome to the ignore list.

Exactly. Not super spreader.... Hell you can get the flu, Tuberculosis, etc from these events but nothing stopped us on that in the past.
Sure, there is the aspect of flu being contagious when the person is ill, and much less likely to attend...because they feel like crap vs having no idea if your contagious.

For TB the higher risk is Africa, our new ally Russia, backwater places in Asia, and tropical island - not memorial Stadium

Not sure where google sources its stats results on COVID cases, there was a large spike in new cases in SD in the weeks following that event if you look at their chart.

The state of SD's previous high for daily new cases was 249 in early May. They spent the summer well below that. Then they topped that record with 251 a few days after Sturgis, then leapt to 623 on August 27.

Since then, they've topped the May high for new cases 7 different times in the month since Sturgis.

Are ALL the cases from that event? Of course not, but it's an example of how you get a big event like that that causes community spread ripples and now with school back in session you have a perfect breeding ground for people to run around infecting each other.

Well I don't know about Sturgis BUT the fact is that campus parties are the most significant super spreader events right now. Michigan State, a well-known party school, has had to quarantine 23 fraternity and sorority houses due to a major outbreak of the virus. The quarantine means that none of the house occupants are allowed to leave the building or have any outside visitors for two weeks. If they violate the quarantine they face a fine up to $200 or 6 months in jail.

And earlier in summer, a favorite college bar near the Michigan State campus was the cause of well-over 100 cases of the virus.
How many are hospitalized? Follow up on that and get back to me

A few things:

1. Tailgating won't be allowed on campus. The University has no authority to limit tailgating in other areas. I imagine people will get pretty creative.

2. The State of Ohio was going to allow limited capacity at Ohio State. Michigan was not going to allow any fans. I guarantee this stipulation started and ended with Michigan. They likely threw a huge fit because Ohio was going to be allowed fans while the Wolverines would not.

Indiana, Purdue, Ohio State, Iowa, and Nebraska were going to be allowed fans. I think Penn State would've eventually fallen in line as well.

Penn State planned on 25k before it cancelled, now per conference rules, family only, no students or the blue band. No tailgating on campus and bar are capped at 25% of normal capacity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT