ADVERTISEMENT

Moos gives Miles one year extention

Nebraska basketball sucks
Did you actually watch any games especially home games this past season? Man I enjoyed the heck out of NU basketball MOST of this past season. We had some guys who could play the game. The problem is why were they at NU and will we be able to recruit guys like this to put together 20 win seasons 3 out of 5 years. I say 3 out of 5 because it's damned tough for a school with little tradition to do it year in and year out. Therein lies the Catch 22. We had a pretty good season this past year but history says we won't consistently do it. So do you can the guy who just did it because you don't think he can do it to hire a guy who has never done it at NU?...:confused:

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
Iba announced that he was leaving in the locker room after the team lost to Western Kentucky in the NCAA's. I have heard two different stories as to why he left. One was that he saw the writing on the wall. He was a great defensive coach and low post offense coach, but couldn't recruit very well and Devaney wanted someone in there who could recruit. The other story that I heard was that Iba was sick of the lack of support from the administration where basketball was an afterthought to football and decided to leave on his own. I heard both stories from former players, so who knows.

From Dirk's series on Danny Nee, Iba had been caught holding an illegal practice before his final season, which was the last straw for Devaney, IIRC.

Reactions: scarletred
Did you actually watch any games especially home games this past season? Man I enjoyed the heck out of NU basketball MOST of this past season. We had some guys who could play the game. The problem is why were they at NU and will we be able to recruit guys like this to put together 20 win seasons 3 out of 5 years. I say 3 out of 5 because it's damned tough for a school with little tradition to do it year in and year out. Therein lies the Catch 22. We had a pretty good season this past year but history says we won't consistently do it. So do you can the guy who just did it because you don't think he can do it to hire a guy who has never done it at NU?...:confused:
That is the dilemma Moos faces.
And yes I saw some good games. Still.... just more of the same mediocrity and laying a turd when it mattered. Same old same old.

Last edited:

I watched pretty much all the games and bet on most of the games (well the betting started after 1/1/18). So yes, I watched all the games very closely and our perception is completely different.

A) last year wasn't a good season IMO. It was an OK season. Last season was a good season for Tim Miles, I will give you that. Last year would have been a typical year for someone like Danny Nee. Nothing to write home about, so to speak

B) Does something magical happen on the one hour drive from Omaha to Lincoln on Interstate I-80? Cause people that say you can't build a program in NE are wrong. Creighton (love em or hate em) is a respectable college basketball program. They make the tourney year after year. They are respected by the media and with less assets than NU has. It can be done in Lincoln and it can even be done in Lincoln better than it is in Omaha. Is there a difference between losing in the NIT first round vs losing in the NCAA tourney first round? You dam right there is a difference. The NCAA was full of good teams without strong history of tradition. And many of them are there now, year after year. Good coaching can help overcome a lot in basketball. NU doesn't have a good coach.

Look, I am glad your a happy go lucky fan. But lets stop pretending Miles is good for NU.

This was Moos' first big mistake as AD but glad he didn't make the same mistake with MR. This is his mulligan.

I watched pretty much all the games and bet on most of the games (well the betting started after 1/1/18). So yes, I watched all the games very closely and our perception is completely different.

A) last year wasn't a good season IMO. It was an OK season. Last season was a good season for Tim Miles, I will give you that. Last year would have been a typical year for someone like Danny Nee. Nothing to write home about, so to speak

B) Does something magical happen on the one hour drive from Omaha to Lincoln on Interstate I-80? Cause people that say you can't build a program in NE are wrong. Creighton (love em or hate em) is a respectable college basketball program. They make the tourney year after year. They are respected by the media and with less assets than NU has. It can be done in Lincoln and it can even be done in Lincoln better than it is in Omaha. Is there a difference between losing in the NIT first round vs losing in the NCAA tourney first round? You dam right there is a difference. The NCAA was full of good teams without strong history of tradition. And many of them are there now, year after year. Good coaching can help overcome a lot in basketball. NU doesn't have a good coach.

Look, I am glad your a happy go lucky fan. But lets stop pretending Miles is good for NU.

This was Moos' first big mistake as AD but glad he didn't make the same mistake with MR. This is his mulligan.

This is a great post and I agree. The apologists keep talking about the time needed to build a program. In college basketball, and especially now in the transfer era, that simply isn't true. You need a good coach to recruit 2 difference makers, sometimes only 1, to make some noise in postseason. We have amazing fan support and facilities with incredibly low/realistic expectations. I refuse to believe it's the rocket science that Nebrasketball makes it out to be.

Nailed it. Great post

My only quibble is your criticism of Moos. I think he wanted to fire Miles. But I don't think we know the whole story

A couple of quotes from Barfy's article I found illuminating, did Miles and Moos argue of the extension length? Miles: "You can tell if we did, it didn't go my way." Moos: "I just felt to protect the university at this juncture that a one-year extension to 3 overall would be good, and we could talk about it again after next year " Moos' goal: "stability and consistency"

Not a ringing endorsement for Tim, who has been anything but consistent over the past 6 years. But Tim is also popular enough with some fans that Moos would have had to make a slam dunk hire. The only two names that fit that bill are Dana Altman and Ty Lue. Dana allegedly turned him down and we can't afford Lue unless he gets fired which is a possible scenario if the Cavs lose this series to Indiana.

Iba announced that he was leaving in the locker room after the team lost to Western Kentucky in the NCAA's. I have heard two different stories as to why he left. One was that he saw the writing on the wall. He was a great defensive coach and low post offense coach, but couldn't recruit very well and Devaney wanted someone in there who could recruit. The other story that I heard was that Iba was sick of the lack of support from the administration where basketball was an afterthought to football and decided to leave on his own. I heard both stories from former players, so who knows.
I think both are on the money. My feeling is that Devaney would have kept him after the late run of success, but earlier in the season Devaney showed little to no support.

Leadership at that high of a level at this kind of institution where lots of leadership changes have been made over the last year, is really about building trust, managing expectations, fighting the fires that are most critical and not creating new problems without a strong probability of a positive outcome.

The most critical thing Moos has to do is turn the FB program around. Everything else is simply a distraction and a sideshow at NU. Getting rid of the previous staff and hiring a strong candidate were only the first steps. His time and energy is best spent there on the FB program and building his leadership team and implementing any other kinds of changes throughout the department to help him.

Firing Miles would have been a bad decision whether or not we think he should go. We have no idea we are going to get anyone better. You open yourself up to the same criticisms people had against firing Frank and Bo given where they finished this year and how they played. There is almost no upside that has a high probability.

Giving him more than 1 year, on the other hand, simply ties Moos to Miles when he isn't sold yet and makes it more painful to let him go. Giving him no extension would send a different kind of signal to both Miles and players that maybe Moos isn't ready to send.

Giving him 1 year simply kicks the can down the road until next year when he can focus more time and energy on it and find someone he is confident can step in and do better. It makes the problem go away for now. I think it is a strong case of "put or shut up" as I mentioned earlier.

Reactions: gw2kpro
A couple of quotes from Barfy's article I found illuminating, did Miles and Moos argue of the extension length? Miles: "You can tell if we did, it didn't go my way." Moos: "I just felt to protect the university at this juncture that a one-year extension to 3 overall would be good, and we could talk about it again after next year " Moos' goal: "stability and consistency"

Not a ringing endorsement for Tim, who has been anything but consistent over the past 6 years. But Tim is also popular enough with some fans that Moos would have had to make a slam dunk hire. The only two names that fit that bill are Dana Altman and Ty Lue. Dana allegedly turned him down and we can't afford Lue unless he gets fired which is a possible scenario if the Cavs lose this series to Indiana.
Let's stop with the Ty Lue hire as a slam dunk. I love Lue but he's a figure head coach and he's never run a college program let alone recruited for one. Secondly, Lue has said that he has zero interest in coaching in college. None. IF you're going to fire a guy who just won 22 games you HAVE to have THE guy waiting in the wings. Any talk of firing Miles after this past year is just crazy. Next year....??????

Dingle will throw the entire university and state under the bus to cover for his boy miles. Never mind him.

This is a great post and I agree. The apologists keep talking about the time needed to build a program. In college basketball, and especially now in the transfer era, that simply isn't true. You need a good coach to recruit 2 difference makers, sometimes only 1, to make some noise in postseason. We have amazing fan support and facilities with incredibly low/realistic expectations. I refuse to believe it's the rocket science that Nebrasketball makes it out to be.
Plus miles has had time. Hes had plenty of time.
he cant do it.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Agee with you,Moos hasn't made a mistake he just hasn't found the right guy that wants this job to replace Miles.
Yes.
If Moos had a guy he would have done it.
As the old Nebraska basketball slogan goes..."next year!" ;)

Let's stop with the Ty Lue hire as a slam dunk. I love Lue but he's a figure head coach and he's never run a college program let alone recruited for one. Secondly, Lue has said that he has zero interest in coaching in college. None. IF you're going to fire a guy who just won 22 games you HAVE to have THE guy waiting in the wings. Any talk of firing Miles after this past year is just crazy. Next year....??????
I agree about Lue, It's absolutely a pipe dream and I highly doubt he would ever even interview unless he gets fired we could never afford him and like you said he probably isn't interested. but according to some on here Moos wanted to replace Miles after this season, and he would have needed a sexy hire to win y'all in the Miles camp over, he obviously didn't get it done and kicked the can down the road.

I don't think Lue is a very good head coach personally, but when did he say he had no interest in college coaching? Avery Johnson probably said the same thing too before he got fired.

I don't think Lue is a very good head coach personally, but when did he say he had no interest in college coaching? Avery Johnson probably said the same thing too before he got fired.
I know he doesn't like his current job

I agree about Lue, It's absolutely a pipe dream and I highly doubt he would ever even interview unless he gets fired we could never afford him and like you said he probably isn't interested. but according to some on here Moos wanted to replace Miles after this season, and he would have needed a sexy hire to win y'all in the Miles camp over, he obviously didn't get it done and kicked the can down the road.
Don't put me in the "Miles camp" anymore. I'm just not a "string him up it will teach him a lesson" kind of fan. Moos and NU would have been destroyed nationally if he would have fired a coach who just won 22 at NU. Who in God's name would ever take the NU job again if we did that? If it's a young guy good enough for NU to hire, he would sure as hell think twice about taking the biggest basketball career killer job there's ever been. No established guy would ever take it. I have not doubt that Moos used the time he took to make inquiries and got ZERO interest from guys he considered to be an upgrade..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT