ADVERTISEMENT

Moos gives Miles one year extention

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
Not much confidence moving forward....

Hope he hasn’t lost his list in his desk drawer.

Hmmmm.. not sure it screams hes our guy or we are going a different direction.. i agree with whoever it was that says we are just kicking the can..

Not much confidence moving forward....

Hope he hasn’t lost his list in his desk drawer.
Given last year's rotten ending, I don't think he could do much more than that. Didn't Miles have 2 years more to start with so that would put him out 3 years? That's an eternity at that pay rate. Ducks will be put in a row now that the football program has been secured.

Reactions: scarletred
Hmmmm.. not sure it screams hes our guy or we are going a different direction.. i agree with whoever it was that says we are just kicking the can..
He almost had to "kick the can down the road" for another year. Anybody advocating canning Miles after this past season is just delusional. Now IF things fall apart next year, he'll have to make a call and the money is not a big issue one way or another for NU.

I have a feeling that the rumor that he had made an offer to Altman had some legs.

He may had an offer out to Altman but really how serious was Altman taking the Husker job when he has that Duck program rolling with a very good incoming class coming in.

He may had an offer out to Altman but really how serious was Altman taking the Husker job when he has that Duck program rolling with a very good incoming class coming in.
Exactly why he wouldn't have taken it...well that and NU is where Basketball coaches go to die. NU has killed the career of every single head basketball coach we've had....ever. Every single one.

I have a feeling that the rumor that he had made an offer to Altman had some legs.

I'm pretty certain there was at least some sort of contact made. Might not have been directly to Altman (assuming he has an agent?), and it might not have been an actual offer, but at least something to determine if there'd be any interest level. He's logically the only "established" coach on a national level who'd potentially have anything to tie him to the state of Nebraska.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
This is probably the right move. Pretty much everyone knows next year is NCAA Tournament or bust for Tim Miles. Giving him a bigger extension isn't going to change that perception.

I just wonder why Moos waited so long. Either he was putting feelers out to other coaches, or Miles initially demanded a bigger extension and Moos called his bluff.

Despite the plane crashing into the mountain in the conference tourney and NIT, Moos had to extend him after a 22-9 regular season and top 4 finish in the B1G. If we go back into the tank next year, this will likely be Miles' severance package.

Last edited:
Reactions: gw2kpro
This is probably the right move. Pretty much everyone knows next year is NCAA Tournament or bust for Tim Miles. Giving him a bigger extension isn't going to change that perception.

I just wonder why Moos waited so long. Either he was putting feelers out to other coaches, or Miles initially demanded a bigger extension and Moos called his bluff.

From what I have heard, they were both playing a game of 'chicken'.

Reactions: jimbosc
I hope that the list is quality candidates, and that someone on that list would actually take the job if a change is to be made.
Barry Collier seemed like a "quality candidate". Miles is a former national COY who took a moribund program to the NCAA. The only guys NU is likely to get would be somebody who had a connection to NU or was getting a HUGE pay raise. NU fans need to come to the realization that IF we have to go shopping for a coach, that we're not going to get and established major college coach to come to NU. It would more than likely be a roll of the dice on another "up and comer".

Barry Collier seemed like a "quality candidate". Miles is a former national COY who took a moribund program to the NCAA. The only guys NU is likely to get would be somebody who had a connection to NU or was getting a HUGE pay raise. NU fans need to come to the realization that IF we have to go shopping for a coach, that we're not going to get and established major college coach to come to NU. It would more than likely be a roll of the dice on another "up and comer".

I agree with you on that. I hope our AD knows realizes that too. We've tried the "up and comer" quite a few times, hasn't worked very well. IF, IF a change is to be made after next year, IMHO, it will be time to think out of the box, and take a chance. We're Nebraska, what the hell do we have to lose but more games?

Unless by some miracle Palmer and Copeland stay and we win a game in the tournament we're going to have a new coach in 2019. Moos is giving himself 12 months to find his guy.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
My sense was Miles asked for a longer extension - Moos didn't budge - Miles eventually accepted 1 year. Miles may have sniffed around for another job - but I think he realized what we all have. His career died while in Lincoln.

How did Miles get a COY award - I don't see it on the floor. Maybe he is good at hiring assistants? Which is going to be a probably going forward.

My sense was Miles asked for a longer extension - Moos didn't budge - Miles eventually accepted 1 year. Miles may have sniffed around for another job - but I think he realized what we all have. His career died while in Lincoln.

How did Miles get a COY award - I don't see it on the floor. Maybe he is good at hiring assistants? Which is going to be a probably going forward
IMO, it comes under the heading where a guy gets dumped by his 10th girlfriend and stands in front of the mirror asking why me? At some point one needs to look in the mirror and question whether it was the girls or the guy looking in the mirror (ie NU). To quote that great philosopher George Costanza, "it's not you, it's me". It isn't as easy as some think to win consistently in a major conference with a program without great tradition and a natural recruiting base. JMHO.

IMO, it comes under the heading where a guy gets dumped by his 10th girlfriend and stands in front of the mirror asking why me? At some point one needs to look in the mirror and question whether it was the girls or the guy looking in the mirror (ie NU). To quote that great philosopher George Costanza, "it's not you, it's me". It isn't as easy as some think to win consistently in a major conference with a program without great tradition and a natural recruiting base. JMHO.
So you're saying we have hand?

And we're gonna need it?

Unless by some miracle Palmer and Copeland stay and we win a game in the tournament we're going to have a new coach in 2019. Moos is giving himself 12 months to find his guy.

Devaney fired Moe Iba after Nebraska made the tournament for the very first time in school history.

More likely the cupboard will be empty after next season one way or they other.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Again. Hopefully we don't get turned down next time.

I don't understand an extension for Miles. What does NU get by extending him? I guess if he really felt he was entitled to it and wouldn't finish out his contract without at least a one year extension, he would have a little bit of leverage considering it would be impossible to hire a coach right now and MAYBE we have the talent to make the tournament next year? But he'd also be walking away from his contract and he's probably not going to make as much at his next gig.

Here's a controversial thought, maybe not having Miles under contract for the foreseeable future would actually benefit recruiting? Perhaps there are players out there who want to play in one of the best atmospheres in the conference with relatively new facilities, but don't want to play for a mediocre coach?

Maybe he is having a tough time trying to figure out who to fire this year between Miles and Erstad and which to fire next year.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
WSU had a good basketball program while Moos was there. Was Moos responsible? Can’t we poach their coach?

Uh nevermind... I am very wrong. Tony Bennett had WSU Good in 2007, 2008, then went to UVA. Ernie Kent is there coach now and they’re bad

Uh nevermind... I am very wrong. Tony Bennett had WSU Good in 2007, 2008, then went to UVA. Ernie Kent is there coach now and they’re bad

The last two head basketball coaches Moos hired were...Ernie Kent--twice. He hired him at Oregon, and later at Wazzu. Kent may be available again after next season.

Devaney fired Moe Iba after Nebraska made the tournament for the very first time in school history.

More likely the cupboard will be empty after next season one way or they other.

The way I remember it is Iba saw the writing on the wall and resigned immediately after the season was over. I think Devaney planned on firing him during the season but he might have changed his mind after the Huskers finished the season strong.

The way I remember it is Iba saw the writing on the wall and resigned immediately after the season was over. I think Devaney planned on firing him during the season but he might have changed his mind after the Huskers finished the season strong.

Iba announced that he was leaving in the locker room after the team lost to Western Kentucky in the NCAA's. I have heard two different stories as to why he left. One was that he saw the writing on the wall. He was a great defensive coach and low post offense coach, but couldn't recruit very well and Devaney wanted someone in there who could recruit. The other story that I heard was that Iba was sick of the lack of support from the administration where basketball was an afterthought to football and decided to leave on his own. I heard both stories from former players, so who knows.

I believe Moos made the right decision on the 1 year extension. As others have said, this gives Moos time to find another coaching staff if needed. I always try to be optimistic. But, for this upcoming season, hope for the best, expect the worst.

He has to be, because after this season even with Palmer, Copeland and Roby returning the year after has no future with Tim Miles.

Reactions: Pitt State
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT