ADVERTISEMENT

Moos desk drawer

Possibly - but Collins took the Northwestern job and that's not exactly been a springboard to the big time either.

Seeing Collins' struggles at Northwestern would probably make Scheyer hesitant to take a lower-tier Big Ten coaching job as well.

He can wait for a better job, like Wojo did with Marquette. Michigan and Michigan St could both open up due to retirements in the next couple years. Illinois will probably open up again. Being only 31 years old, I think it would be smarter to stay at Duke and make good money there as Assistant Head Coach, and wait for the right opportunity. If he goes to Nebraska and fails (like every other coach in history has), he will never get another chance at a big-time job.

Seeing Collins' struggles at Northwestern would probably make Scheyer hesitant to take a lower-tier Big Ten coaching job as well.

He can wait for a better job, like Wojo did with Marquette. Michigan and Michigan St could both open up due to retirements in the next couple years. Illinois will probably open up again. Being only 31 years old, I think it would be smarter to stay at Duke and make good money there as Assistant Head Coach, and wait for the right opportunity. If he goes to Nebraska and fails (like every other coach in history has), he will never get another chance at a big-time job.

Saying Collins is struggling at Northwestern is a stretch. He's already taken them to the round of 32 and recruiting well there. He could land a higher profile job anytime. Scheyer would do well to take the Nebraska job and do the same.

If Dick Bennett were 10 years younger, I think Nebby should hire him.
He laid the foundation for Bo Ryan's success at UW, and he rebuilt WSU back to respectability until UVa hired Tony away.
Dunno who else out there is a similar coach, but I think that's the kind of coach Nebby should look for.

If Dick Bennett were 10 years younger, I think Nebby should hire him.
He laid the foundation for Bo Ryan's success at UW, and he rebuilt WSU back to respectability until UVa hired Tony away.
Dunno who else out there is a similar coach, but I think that's the kind of coach Nebby should look for.
Who the F is Nebby? Nebraska dick.

So hiring somebody with no experience running a college basketball program is the way to go then? Well alrighty then. I think I can do it. Sign me up. I'll work cheap. 500k, insurance, car and a country club membership ought to do it for me. Good heavens. Virtually NO power 5 school hires a guy without college coaching experience. When they have, it hasn't worked that I know of. The former NBA coach Eddie Jordan at Rutgers I think is one of the more recent failures. Penny Hardaway is trying it at Memphis. He's 13-7 playing in the AAC. At least he has a HUGE talent pool and recent success to work with.

Never ran a college program before being hired as a head coach:

Tom Izzo-Michigan State
Roy Williams-Kansas
Fred Hoiberg-Iowa State
Chris Mack- Xavier
Mark Few- Gonzaga
Brad Stevens-Butler
Quin Snyder-Missouri
Johnny Dawkins- Stanford
Steve Wojciechowski- Marquette

Just to name a few. So you would have said no to Roy Williams in 1988?

Some of these were at the school they got hired by, some weren't, but they all got hired by schools that have accomplished a hell of a lot more in basketball than Nebraska (at least 3 have a national championship).

Nebraska is a P5 job? Laughing In name only. When you start playing the "one of these things is not like the others" game, we are the one people look at. The sooner everyone accepts that fact the faster we maybe get somewhere. There are probably dozens of non-P5 jobs that are better than the Nebraska job.

So call me a pessimist, but we've tried the up and comer route, numerous times. It hasn't worked. You know what they say about insanity. So let’s just do the same thing all over again and not consider other alternatives.

It's highly unlikely We aren't going to get a proven winner established coach if we couldn't even get a guy who was born/raised/ and has family 30 minutes from campus last year to consider taking the job.

It's highly unlikely We aren't going to get a proven winner established coach if we couldn't even get a guy who was born/raised/ and has family 30 minutes from campus last year to consider taking the job.

Dana wanted the Nebraska job, we just came calling 20 years too late.

Reactions: Baxter48
These BADger posters are One&Doners in this thread, and in the bed. Has to do with the fat milky cows they marry.

Never ran a college program before being hired as a head coach:

Tom Izzo-Michigan State
Roy Williams-Kansas
Fred Hoiberg-Iowa State
Chris Mack- Xavier
Mark Few- Gonzaga
Brad Stevens-Butler
Quin Snyder-Missouri
Johnny Dawkins- Stanford
Steve Wojciechowski- Marquette

Just to name a few. So you would have said no to Roy Williams in 1988?

Some of these were at the school they got hired by, some weren't, but they all got hired by schools that have accomplished a hell of a lot more in basketball than Nebraska (at least 3 have a national championship).

Nebraska is a P5 job? Laughing In name only. When you start playing the "one of these things is not like the others" game, we are the one people look at. The sooner everyone accepts that fact the faster we maybe get somewhere. There are probably dozens of non-P5 jobs that are better than the Nebraska job.

So call me a pessimist, but we've tried the up and comer route, numerous times. It hasn't worked. You know what they say about insanity. So let’s just do the same thing all over again and not consider other alternatives.

Virtually all of those guys had experience as assistants at successful major college programs before becoming a head coach. Hoiberg is the exception and he had worked in the front office of the Minnesota Timberwolves in part as a player development guy for 4 years before taking the ISU job. Lue is not Fred Hoiberg. Lue had to take an extended vacation from the Cavaliers due to "stress". How do you think he would handle the social media at Nebraska? Virtually EVERY guy who becomes successful as a head coach at a major program at some point could be considered a "young up and comer". Hoiberg is the exception but he had multiple years in player evaluation and development in the NBA.
BTW, Quinn Snyder was a train wreck at Mizzou. Few started at Gonzaga as a GA then multiple years as an assistant. Few was the ultimate "up and comer" and he never had to leave home to prove it. IF Miles leaves, I would still rather see us hire somebody who has run a program if not that then an assistant from a successful program would be worth rolling the dice with too I guess. But you just don't know what their offense and recruiting would be like when they have to do it all on their own. It's about relevant sustained success for the job you're hiring them to do.

Why not have the boosters do it? They seem to be the ones running the show. And what a show it is.
Why all of a sudden all this dislike for bill Moos? You can't just go half cocked and fire coaches at the first sign of struggles, so the way some of you think moos should have fired frost because he struggled the first 6 games. Don't get me wrong I believe miles needs to go he's had enough time, erstad is next up. But you can't be firing coaches right and left simply because you won't ever be able to hire a great coach or ad. You do that Nebraska will be the laughing stock of the NCAA. Calm down let it al wash out.

It does seem a bit strange that Moos has only been to a few basketball games this year. With a team that was ranked and expected to be one of the best in program history, you'd think he would be at all of the home games.

Quinn's issues were more personal than his coaching abilities. He loved the powder.
get to the tournament a few times and i might reconsider how much i care about that.
but dont get me wrong, i would not advocate/overlook that out of the gate....

Someone please tell me that if Miles goes, Boehm goes too. Boehm has had a Rasputin-like ability to remain employed during Nebrasketball's reign of mediocrity.
I don't think Boehm's job (to use the term loosely) is specific to basketball anymore. So now when he skips several basketball games to vacation at Husker bowl games, nobody will even bat an eye.

It does seem a bit strange that Moos has only been to a few basketball games this year. With a team that was ranked and expected to be one of the best in program history, you'd think he would be at all of the home games.
Moos has been to more games than some think. He doesn't advertise his presence. I don't know who started the whole Moos "issues" rumors but they were not a Husker fan. Social media is out of control.

Virtually all of those guys had experience as assistants at successful major college programs before becoming a head coach.

That's my question to you. Are you saying we don't consider any assistants at successful major programs if they haven't ran a program before? I think assuming Nebraska is not a job for anyone who hasn't been a head coach is awfully arrogant considering our complete lack of success in the sport.

That's my question to you. Are you saying we don't consider any assistants at successful major programs if they haven't ran a program before? I think assuming Nebraska is not a job for anyone who hasn't been a head coach is awfully arrogant considering our complete lack of success in the sport.
I said I would consider an assistant who has experience in a top program. At least then he would have seen how to run one correctly. It's still more of a crap shoot than hiring a guy who has demonstrated organization skills, recruiting skills and game day coaching. IF a school hires an assistant who has never run a program of his own, it's a crap shoot as to whether or not he'll be able to do it. Period. Hell Barry Collier had a darned good resume when we hired him. Obviously we don't have the recruiting base that Butler has so he failed. We have to have a guy who doesn't mind recruiting and will bust his butt to get players to Lincoln. It's not an easy sell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT