ADVERTISEMENT

Moos desk drawer

And Dean, I didn't mean to sound like a jackass know-it-all...most of the time I do but not this time. I always thought Wisconsin won with 2/3 star kids but more people kept telling me that wasn't the case. @Dean Pope

UVA gets a few more studs than you probably think but TB is also a great coach

I am not sure there has even been a program that gets more "love" for winning with 2 star guys than Wisconsin, it is false, they had a lot of really high ranked recruits but just give it a look. https://247sports.com/college/wisconsin/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

MSU is also not exactly "diamond in the rough" U...
I agree. I was talking more about style of play and team mentality. Physical play, mental toughness, battle every possession. Sure those programs have talented kids and Nebraska would have to attract top talent as well if it wants to have a consistent program. I would just like to hire a good coach who has a style of play more conducive to winning in Lincoln, NE.

I agree. I was talking more about style of play and team mentality. Physical play, mental toughness, battle every possession. Sure those programs have talented kids and Nebraska would have to attract top talent as well if it wants to have a consistent program. I would just like to hire a good coach who has a style of play more conducive to winning in Lincoln, NE.

Yeah, I think having a system is important. Even Coach Cal has a great system, people like to think he doesn't coach but he can flat out coach.

Craig Smith. Former NU assistant who left to be HC at Univ of South Dakota. Did well there and he’s now HC at Utah State who are 15-5. Damn good coach IMO.
I'm not sure that he would want to replace his friend, Tim Miles. But there is no doubt about it, Tim Miles was a much better coach when he worked with Craig Smith. Smith has not been replaced.

Dingle you still believing in Miles? Hell I’ll give you your due, you are loyal to the guy. Remember I told you he needed to go at least 4-4 in January, he’s 2-5, I don’t think he stands a chance
As of yesterday, I'm officially on the fence. This ship needs to change courses and quickly. Unfortunately for Miles this is not a friendly stretch of games. Rutgers was forgiveable IMO. We played horribly against OSU and the things I saw I don't think Miles can fix. I'm on board with whatever Moos does as long as it isn't hiring a guy who has never run a college program.

Calls I would make...
1. Hoiberg
2. Wojo at Marquette
3. Bruce Pearl
4. Steve Alford
5. Thad Matta

1. You call Hoiberg, (being a respectable man, he will politely say no instead of just laughing at us)
2. I wouldn’t mind Wojo
3. No thanks.....
4. Hell to the NO!....
5. Yes, I’d take Matt’s if his heart was still in coaching.

Last edited:
As of yesterday, I'm officially on the fence. This ship needs to change courses and quickly. Unfortunately for Miles this is not a friendly stretch of games. Rutgers was forgiveable IMO. We played horribly against OSU and the things I saw I don't think Miles can fix. I'm on board with whatever Moos does as long as it isn't hiring a guy who has never run a college program.

That’s practically all we’ve had in my lifetime is a guy who has already run a program. Where has that got us?

1. You call Hoiberg, (being a respectable man, he will politely say no instead of just laughing at us)
2. I wouldn’t mind Wojo
3. No thanks.....
4. Hell to the NO!....
5. Yes, I’d take Matt’s if his heart was still in coaching.
4. Yes believe me Alford is a complete a-hole but he did have UCLA in the tournament 4 of the 5 years including 3 Sweet 16's. At Iowa he did get us to 3 NCAA Tournament's In 8 years which isn't great but he did win 2 conference titles and played for a third.

4. Yes believe me Alford is a complete a-hole but he did have UCLA in the tournament 4 of the 5 years including 3 Sweet 16's. At Iowa he did get us to 3 NCAA Tournament's In 8 years which isn't great but he did win 2 conference titles and played for a third.

Don’t care... there’s a reason he can’t stay put anywhere, and I don’t want that guy within 300 miles of Lincoln.

musselman would be my top choice without a doubt...not sure he would leave west coast and his nevada team is made up of all transfers

Reactions: cdriftt24
That’s practically all we’ve had in my lifetime is a guy who has already run a program. Where has that got us?
So hiring somebody with no experience running a college basketball program is the way to go then? Well alrighty then. I think I can do it. Sign me up. I'll work cheap. 500k, insurance, car and a country club membership ought to do it for me. Good heavens. Virtually NO power 5 school hires a guy without college coaching experience. When they have, it hasn't worked that I know of. The former NBA coach Eddie Jordan at Rutgers I think is one of the more recent failures. Penny Hardaway is trying it at Memphis. He's 13-7 playing in the AAC. At least he has a HUGE talent pool and recent success to work with.

musselman would be my top choice without a doubt...not sure he would leave west coast and his nevada team is made up of all transfers

Caroline, Thurman, martin twins, and I think one other starter all seniors.

So hiring somebody with no experience running a college basketball program is the way to go then? Well alrighty then. I think I can do it. Sign me up. I'll work cheap. 500k, insurance, car and a country club membership ought to do it for me. Good heavens. Virtually NO power 5 school hires a guy without college coaching experience. When they have, it hasn't worked that I know of. The former NBA coach Eddie Jordan at Rutgers I think is one of the more recent failures. Penny Hardaway is trying it at Memphis. He's 13-7 playing in the AAC. At least he has a HUGE talent pool and recent success to work with.

Penny doing alright (nice win today) and lue has a much better track record. I'm not saying it would work, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

The list better be long. He will get rejected a lot.

I'm not so sure. Money is there, facilities are off the charts, Fan support is great. Any coach at the Division 1 level has to believe he can accomplish greatness or they don't get to that level of coaching. you could fail and make 15 million in 5 years.

Benning has turned in to the biggest source of misinformation this state has seen. I like listening to the guy but a responsible broadcaster doesn't repeat some of the rumors he has repeated. Remember when our DB coach was for sure gone a couple of weeks ago? Benning needs to just shut the hell up. He should know better. He makes some snarky inference that something is up and the whole Husker fan base loses their minds.

Good point! What happen to Travis Fisher leaving us..

I have the feeling Moos will make someone an "Offer they can't refuse". We nutted up and made HCSF the right offer and I have to believe he won't be going on the cheap this time. Mc Casland looks like a nice up and comer, but I wonder if he goes more toward someone with a longer track record and some NCAA tournament pedigree.

We have the facilities and good fan support. It's time to bring a winning product to Lincoln.

GBR
I would agree that to get this thing right we have to dish out the cash and try and pull in a someone who is established and has tourney experience. Dipping into the lower ranks like we did with Miles isn't going to cut it.

KU did ok when they hired some assistant named Roy Williams who had no previous experience running a major college program.
Getting a top assistant from a blue-blood program is another route NU could take. Someone like Jon Scheyer at Duke or Kyle Neptune from Villanova might see Nebraska as an opportunity. Some people might say Scheyer could hold out for better, and he probably could. But Chris Collins left the same position to take the Northwestern job, which is comparable.

Getting a top assistant from a blue-blood program is another route NU could take. Someone like Jon Scheyer at Duke or Kyle Neptune from Villanova might see Nebraska as an opportunity. Some people might say Scheyer could hold out for better, and he probably could. But Chris Collins left the same position to take the Northwestern job, which is comparable.
I actually prefer this approach over rolling the dice on the latest greatest mid-major coaching phenom. I wonder which approach has had a higher rate of success over the years?

Was pimping Scheyer last year... very young, really high IQ, known as a very good recruiter, and is a god in the state of Illinois where there is plenty of talent to be had.

Was pimping Scheyer last year... very young, really high IQ, known as a very good recruiter, and is a god in the state of Illinois where there is plenty of talent to be had.

I can't see Scheyer potentially throwing away a promising young career at age 31 to coach Nebrasketball. He might have a chance to succeed Coach K at Duke if he stays there until K retires. Nebrasketball has a reputation as a place where careers go to die. He will get better offers in a few years.

I can't see Scheyer potentially throwing away a promising young career at age 31 to coach Nebrasketball. He might have a chance to succeed Coach K at Duke if he stays there until K retires. Nebrasketball has a reputation as a place where careers go to die. He will get better offers in a few years.

If he wants the Duke job he has to prove he can coach.

Possibly - but Collins took the Northwestern job and that's not exactly been a springboard to the big time either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT