ADVERTISEMENT

Moos desk drawer

Some good suggestions have been mentioned here, recently. I hope he would give Thad Matta a call. I'm also intrigued by Jamie Dixon. I'm also curious if Eric Musselman would listen.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Some good suggestions have been mentioned here, recently. I hope he would give Thad Matta a call. I'm also intrigued by Jamie Dixon. I'm also curious if Eric Musselman would listen.
Dixon left the ACC to go back home to TCU - I can't see him taking the NU job. Musselman is an intriguing possibility, though. One guy who's below the radar but might not be for long - Grant McCasland at North Texas.

Dixon left the ACC to go back home to TCU - I can't see him taking the NU job. Musselman is an intriguing possibility, though. One guy who's below the radar but might not be for long - Grant McCasland at North Texas.
I have the feeling Moos will make someone an "Offer they can't refuse". We nutted up and made HCSF the right offer and I have to believe he won't be going on the cheap this time. Mc Casland looks like a nice up and comer, but I wonder if he goes more toward someone with a longer track record and some NCAA tournament pedigree.

We have the facilities and good fan support. It's time to bring a winning product to Lincoln.

GBR

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I have the feeling Moos will make someone an "Offer they can't refuse". We nutted up and made HCSF the right offer and I have to believe he won't be going on the cheap this time. Mc Casland looks like a nice up and comer, but I wonder if he goes more toward someone with a longer track record and some NCAA tournament pedigree.

We have the facilities and good fan support. It's time to bring a winning product to Lincoln.

GBR
I can get on board with that, but when I think about Moss's recycling of Ernie Kent, if makes me lean more toward up-and-comers. :Cool:

GBR
Moos's hires at his previous stops haven't exactly been home runs and we still have Mark Boehm making recommendations don't we? IF he cans Miles, I don't care if it's a no name from Podunk U as long as he has strong respect from the AAU circuit.

I can get on board with that, but when I think about Moss's recycling of Ernie Kent, if makes me lean more toward up-and-comers. :Cool:

Yeah, the Ernie Kent hiring was a puzzler - but Moos would have a much bigger budget to work with here than he did at WSU. This state is desperate for a winning basketball program. We draw 15k+ fans per game. I don't think Moos would go cheap with this hire.

Would Moos be willing to overlook Kelvin Sampson's past? That dude wins wherever he goes. And he worked with Moos at Washington State a long time ago, so they know each other.

Yeah, the Ernie Kent hiring was a puzzler - but Moos would have a much bigger budget to work with here than he did at WSU. This state is desperate for a winning basketball program. We draw 15k+ fans per game. I don't think Moos would go cheap with this hire.

Would Moos be willing to overlook Kelvin Sampson's past? That dude wins wherever he goes. And he worked with Moos at Washington State a long time ago, so they know each other.
I get the desire for someone with a winning track record in a Power 5 conference, but the list of those guys who would be interested in the NU job is pretty short. Sampson is a possibility, but lots of baggage there. Ben Howland might want to escape Starkville, Mississippi by now. Or maybe you can pull a guy like Larry Krystowiak out of Utah. I guess there's also Thad Matta and Bo Ryan.

Reactions: Dave3
I get the desire for someone with a winning track record in a Power 5 conference, but the list of those guys who would be interested in the NU job is pretty short. Sampson is a possibility, but lots of baggage there. Ben Howland might want to escape Starkville, Mississippi by now. Or maybe you can pull a guy like Larry Krystowiak out of Utah. I guess there's also Thad Matta and Bo Ryan.

Moos hired Mike Leach, who had a lot more baggage than Sampson. All Sampson really did was make too many phone calls.

Matta would be interesting, but he got burned out at Ohio State and I'm not sure if he's healthy again yet. He'd have less pressure here, though.

Last edited:
I see it now. Wade who played for Lue....will convince his son to committ to Nebraska if Lue is hired to replace Miles. Uh...probably not. But I think Wade's son will be recruited heavily.....

I'm not too sure who Nebraska can get that can get them out of the purgatory the program has been in for the better part of, forever! Nevada coach? Vermont coach?

Wondering what names he has for MBB
I'm just glad he ignored the local media and Husker fans who criticized him for not giving Miles a long, expensive extension. I don't know who would be on Moos' short list. I just hope its someone who's a good fit for Nebraska basketball. Nebraska basketball can be successful but, to a degree, it has to model the old Husker football model of developing players in the weight room and winning with fourth & fifth year guys (who provide depth) with talented recruits and transfers mixed in. It cannot be a star system like Miles runs. We've seen that implode when Miles has stars and fail miserably when Miles doesn't have stars. It's got to be team ball with screening & passing in the mix as well as low post play. Hiring a good staff with a coach who knows how to develop post players. Nebraska basketball should be physical and tough. It should look more like Virginia, Wisconsin and Michigan State rather than D-League glory ball.

Moos hired Mike Leach, who had a lot more baggage than Sampson. All Sampson really did was make too many phone calls.

Matta would be interesting, but he got burned out at Ohio State and I'm not sure if he's healthy again yet. He'd have less pressure here, though.

Wow, I had not thought of Sampson...Dude can coach and I know we like to pretend that we are all about integrity and doing the right thing (of course 90% of our posts come during work hours...when we are supposed to be working instead of stealing company time Haha) but Sampson texed/called kids when he wasn't supposed to...big deal.

Reactions: Red Steve and tpmcg
I'm just glad he ignored the local media and Husker fans who criticized him for not giving Miles a long, expensive extension. I don't know who would be on Moos' short list. I just hope its someone who's a good fit for Nebraska basketball. Nebraska basketball can be successful but, to a degree, it has to model the old Husker football model of developing players in the weight room and winning with fourth & fifth year guys (who provide depth) with talented recruits and transfers mixed in. It cannot be a star system like Miles runs. We've seen that implode when Miles has stars and fail miserably when Miles doesn't have stars. It's got to be team ball with screening & passing in the mix as well as low post play. Hiring a good staff with a coach who knows how to develop post players. Nebraska basketball should be physical and tough. It should look more like Virginia, Wisconsin and Michigan State rather than D-League glory ball.

UVA gets a few more studs than you probably think but TB is also a great coach

I am not sure there has even been a program that gets more "love" for winning with 2 star guys than Wisconsin, it is false, they had a lot of really high ranked recruits but just give it a look. https://247sports.com/college/wisconsin/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

MSU is also not exactly "diamond in the rough" U...

Reactions: Dean Pope
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT