ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Dylan Jordan decision your predictions?

I think this is a classic under the radar situation.

The late interest from FSU and Auburn would appear to support this notion. The questions about his qualification status likely played a role as well, but kudos to Frost and crew for laying the groundwork early just in case. Could pay off big.

EDIT: Never mind; NU left at the alter once again. The staff did a nice job of getting us in his final two, but coffee is for closers. This one hurts since Kansas should be ours for the taking and we need an OLB that can rush the QB. Damn.

Reactions: Dean Pope
There must be much better film out there on Jordan than what I've seen if he's up to 4*. TBH I wasn't sure I wanted him at all if NU could get the others.

Sounds like it's not such a case of everyone wanting N and not having enough room for them.

I really want Parker.

Seems like the staff overflew the runway a little with this second round of kids. They were all sizzle a couple weeks ago and so far no steak on the commits.

Reactions: SC_'sker
The late interest from FSU and Auburn would appear to support this notion. The questions about his qualification status likely played a role as well, but kudos to Frost and crew for laying the groundwork early just in case. Could pay off big.

EDIT: Never mind; NU left at the alter once again. The staff did a nice job of getting us in his final two, but coffee is for closers. This one hurts since Kansas should be ours for the taking and we need an OLB that can rush the QB. Damn.
I disagree with automatically saying "Kansas should be ours for the taking". This is what I've always hated about this stupid arbitrary "500 mile radius" thing. There's a big difference to me in this case between somebody in the Kansas City area where it's only a 3 hour drive to Lincoln and there's a huge alumni base and a city in southeastern Kansas that's another 2 hours further away and doesn't have that same alumni base. And why do people always blame the coaches? For whatever reason, this kid liked what TCU offered better. It happens sometimes. Get over it and move on. Remember, there are other fanbases who can't understand why some of their targets pick Nebraska.

I disagree with automatically saying "Kansas should be ours for the taking". This is what I've always hated about this stupid arbitrary "500 mile radius" thing. There's a big difference to me in this case between somebody in the Kansas City area where it's only a 3 hour drive to Lincoln and there's a huge alumni base and a city in southeastern Kansas that's another 2 hours further away and doesn't have that same alumni base.

I didn't say anything about the 500-mile radius but I don't understand why you would call it arbitrary. It's literally a 500-mile radius. Proximity will always be important in recruiting and the area in question couldn't be more clearly defined. It's also of particular importance to a school like NU that doesn't have many elite in-state recruits to pursue.

Unless you feel that 500 miles is arbitrary? I imagine it was chosen as a round number that also represents a driveable distance, but I could understand taking issue with that number. Certainly the entire area isn't created equal in terms of opportunity.

Back the original point, though; I do feel that the state of Kansas should be NU's for the taking. They have two D-1 programs, one of which is a historical dumpster fire and the other of which is a complete mess right now with Snyder needing to leave but stubbornly not wanting to go.

I don't agree that all neighboring states or any kid within 500 miles should be ours for the taking just because we're NU and we used to dominate local recruiting in the '70s/'80s/'90s. But even in this example, the kid was still only 5 hours away and had ties to the program. That's one we should almost always get.

Last edited:
No, he was pretty much set on TCU after his visit there. He visited here mostly as a courtesy for his dad (who is a huge Huskers fan), but he was just blown away by his TCU visit and was ready to commit there last week.

The staff's inability to close in this late period has been disappointing. We may have to hit the grad transfer market pretty hard.

You say he had his mind made up, and then crack on the staffs ability to close, seemingly using this instance as an example. Does that make sense? There are a million different reasons why one kid may choose College A over College B.

Reactions: timnsun
And why do people always blame the coaches? For whatever reason, this kid liked what TCU offered better. It happens sometimes. Get over it and move on. Remember, there are other fanbases who can't understand why some of their targets pick Nebraska.

Why do people always blame the coaches? Is that a serious question? Probably because it's their job and they're paid millions of dollars (collectively) to do it at an extremely high level.

Did I say they suck or that they need to go or any of the other ridiculous reactionary shit you read on here when we lose a game or recruit? No. I just said coffee is for closers. That's true every day and especially so when you're paying a guy $5M a year with championship aspirations.

Also, get over it and move on? Really? I literally posted what I posted less than 2 minutes after Jordan to TCU was announced. What's the acceptable amount of time to react to a recruiting miss in your world? 30 seconds? Laughing

I didn't say anything about the 500-mile radius but I don't understand why you would call it arbitrary. It's literally a 500-mile radius. Proximity will always be important in recruiting and the area in question couldn't be more clearly defined. It's also of particular importance to a school like NU that doesn't have many elite in-state recruits to pursue.

Unless you feel that 500 miles is arbitrary? I imagine it was chosen as a round number that also represents a driveable distance, but I could understand taking issue with that number. Certainly the entire area isn't created equal in terms of opportunity.

Back the original point, though; I do feel that the state of Kansas should be NU's for the taking. They have two D-1 programs, one of which is a historical dumpster fire and the other of which is a complete mess right now with Snyder needing to leave but stubbornly not wanting to go.

I don't agree that all neighboring states or any kid within 500 miles should be ours for the taking just because we're NU and we used to dominate local recruiting in the '70s/'80s/'90s. But even in this example, the kid was still only 5 hours away and had ties to the program. That's one we should almost always get.
Yes, I think 500 miles is arbitrary. Any such distance is arbitrary. If a player lives 499 miles away, we should expect to get him, but if he lives 501 miles away, it should change? That makes no sense. Whoever decided that 500 miles should be the number anyway? And why is that supposed to be the number?

Why do people always blame the coaches? Is that a serious question? Probably because it's their job and they're paid millions of dollars (collectively) to do it at an extremely high level.
Yes, it's a serious question. Meaning, is it always the fault of the coaches, or do some players just like other schools better? I mean, did our coaches do something wrong here? If so, then what did they do wrong and what could they do differently? Again, why can't people just accept that some players just might like another school better for a number of different reasons?

Yes, it's a serious question. Meaning, is it always the fault of the coaches, or do some players just like other schools better? I mean, did our coaches do something wrong here? If so, then what did they do wrong and what could they do differently? Again, why can't people just accept that some players just might like another school better for a number of different reasons?

Because we think like fans, we can't grasp that others don't have the same affinity for Nebraska that we do.

Of course some players are gonna go elsewhere regardless of how hard a coach works to get them to said school. Saban doesn't get everyone he wants every year. No one does.

It doesn't sound like our coaches did anything "wrong" here (although that's impossible to know as an outsider), but the results are still the bottom line. It's not necessarily fair, but that's the profession they signed up for and they're very well compensated to withstand the criticism, second guessing, etc., that comes with it.

Of course people can accept that a recruit likes School X more than NU for any number of reasons. It's the coaches job to make the recruit like NU more. They weren't able to do so with Jordan and maybe it was an impossible ask in this case, but fans are still going to feel disappointment and question whether they could have done something different or better.

The disappointment is compounded by the fact that he's only five hours away, had family pulling for NU and it was down to only two schools, one of which is further away. Most NU fans also seem to think we should win recruiting battles against TCU, so even more disappointment.

I get what you're saying, but I could easily turn the question around: are you really that surprised NU fans are reacting negatively to the news? Follow recruiting for any length of time and this sort of thing is just par for the course. I wouldn't even say this a particularly bad reaction compared to the blue chippers we've missed on.

Last edited:
Of course some players are gonna go elsewhere regardless of how hard a coach works to get them to said school. Saban doesn't get everyone he wants every year. No one does.

It doesn't sound like our coaches did anything "wrong" here (although that's impossible to know as an outsider), but the results are still the bottom line. It's not necessarily fair, but that's the profession they signed up for and they're very well compensated to withstand the criticism, second guessing, etc., that comes with it.

Of course people can accept that a recruit likes School X more than NU for any number of reasons. It's the coaches job to make the recruit like NU more. They weren't able to do so with Jordan and maybe it was an impossible ask in this case, but of course fans are still going to feel disappointment and question whether they could have done something different or better.

The disappointment is compounded by the fact that he's only five hours away, had family pulling for NU and it was down to only two schools, one of which is further away. Most NU fans also seem to think we should win recruiting battles against TCU, so even more disappointment.

I get what you're saying, but I could easily turn the question around: are you really that surprised NU fans are reacting negatively to the news? Follow recruiting for any length of time and this sort of thing is just par for the course. I wouldn't even say this a particularly bad reaction compared to the blue chippers we've missed on.
It’s the whole “coffee is for closers” comment that I struggle with, because as I’ve already said, they’ve closed on guys already who had offers to all the big dogs.

Typically, using the phrase “coffee is for closers” suggests that they aren’t closing... which as you already acknowledged, even happens with guys like Saban. Obviously you didn’t mean it the way some have received it...

Reactions: TheBeav815
Yes, I think 500 miles is arbitrary. Any such distance is arbitrary. If a player lives 499 miles away, we should expect to get him, but if he lives 501 miles away, it should change? That makes no sense. Whoever decided that 500 miles should be the number anyway? And why is that supposed to be the number?

I don't think anyone treats the number that literally including those that originally designated it. You have to set the number somewhere and people tend to opt for nice round numbers like 100, 250, 500, etc. Again, it's also a driveable distance that makes it easy/easier for coaches to recruit and easy/easier for a recruit's family to see them play.

I'd say it makes total sense and it's not exactly rocket science; put your focus on the recruits that are closest to your school. Of course 517 miles doesn't exclude a player any more than you can "bank" on one that's only 50 miles away, but it provides a general guideline for determining where to focus the staff's time and energy.

The problem seems to be in expectations as you eluded to earlier. NU fans probably get their hopes too high when a recruit is nearby just because they think they should be NU's to lose. I felt that way in this case in part because the kid was in Kansas and even that is probably faulty/outdated thinking on my part.

Last edited:
Sucks to lose this one, but we came in late to the game and couldn't close it. Sounded to me like her respected TCU being on him all along.

I think we were swimming upstream on this one. He didn't even consider FSU who came in even later than us.

It’s the whole “coffee is for closers” comment that I struggle with, because as I’ve already said, they’ve closed on guys already who had offers to all the big dogs.

Typically, using the phrase “coffee is for closers” suggests that they aren’t closing... which as you already acknowledged, even happens with guys like Saban. Obviously you didn’t mean it the way some have received it...

That's fair, Tim. I really didn't mean to rankle anyone's feathers. I thought the comment was innocent enough (in this case, the equivalent of "close but no cigar") but if people are truly bothered by it, I'll kindly rescind.

Some kids will be difficult to pull away from Big XII geography. Five hours from Pittsburgh KS to Lincoln, 6.5 hours to Fort Worth. Parents can drive to OU, OSU, KU, KSU rather easily.
I was just going to post this. In addition, Pittsburg KS is in SE Kansas-- not a hotbed for Husker recruits. Also heard, his mom has family there. Good prospect-- tough to lose him, but we got the big fish that we really wanted the most-- the two Robinson kids, highly rated Omaha kids, Pola-Gates, Benhart. Its been a great class for coming off a 4-8 season. I'm not going to let a couple late Jan. misses to fill out the class affect my thoughts on the class.

Sucks to lose this one, but we came in late to the game and couldn't close it. Sounded to me like her respected TCU being on him all along.

I think we were swimming upstream on this one. He didn't even consider FSU who came in even later than us.
We literally were the first school to offer him, 2 weeks before TCU even offered. So I don’t understand what you mean when you say “late to the game”.

Welp...
"we didn't want him anyway"
"we have another/better guy lined up"
"we saw something that nobody else did"
"his mom doesn't like cold weather"
"walk-on's are better"

That's fair, Tim. I really didn't mean to rankle anyone's feathers. I thought the comment was innocent enough (in this case, the equivalent of "close but no cigar") but if people are truly bothered by it, I'll kindly rescind.
No worries on my part. There have been a few others who have said its disappointing that the coaches aren’t finishers. So I know I’ve been sensitive to recruiting complaints.

It’s one thing to say they didn’t close on this or that recruit. But some have simply said the coaches aren’t finishers, which I disagree with.

Thanks for clarifying your comments here. I have always appreciated your posts.

I was just going to post this. In addition, Pittsburg KS is in SE Kansas-- not a hotbed for Husker recruits. Also heard, his mom has family there. Good prospect-- tough to lose him, but we got the big fish that we really wanted the most-- the two Robinson kids, highly rated Omaha kids, Pola-Gates, Benhart. Its been a great class for coming off a 4-8 season. I'm not going to let a couple late Jan. misses to fill out the class affect my thoughts on the class.
This

So Wandale chooses Nebraska...does that mean Saban screwed the pooch on Wandale? The real issue is we REALLY didn't want him until the end. If you want a kid like this then you jump on him early, he had no allegiance to us because we were like the rest...playing wait and see. That negated any advantage we had with distance. The reason you have an advantage with 500 radius kids is they visit your school 10 times before their senior year, and you are all over them because they are so close. We didn't love on Jordan and so why not choose the better climate both female and atmospheric, a better program in the short term, with a coach that has won a ton of games.

No worries on my part. There have been a few others who have said its disappointing that the coaches aren’t finishers. So I know I’ve been sensitive to recruiting complaints.

It’s one thing to say they didn’t close on this or that recruit. But some have simply said the coaches aren’t finishers, which I disagree with.

Thanks for clarifying your comments here. I have always appreciated your posts.

I haven't been around the board much lately and I don't follow recruiting with the fervor that I once did, so I obviously missed some context here. I appreciate you bringing me up to speed and can now easily see why my comment struck a note.

I didn't realize that some of our fans already had their pitchforks out, but I guess that's just in our DNA. Count me in the group that still believes wholeheartedly in this staff even though we've missed out on a few late ones.

P.S. Same to you on your posts. You're as rock solid as they come.

Like I said in another thread, the staff is pretty damn happy with the class they have signed already and if they signed nobody else, it would be ok, minus maybe a signee at OLB. I don't think they will take any reaches at this point and anyone added in the late signing period would be icing on the cake. I think they are ok with leaving a few spots open, waiting until after spring ball to see where they need depth and maybe add a grad transfer or two and that will give them a couple mores spots for the next recruiting class.

Like I said in another thread, the staff is pretty damn happy with the class they have signed already and if they signed nobody else, it would be ok, minus maybe a signee at OLB. I don't think they will take any reaches at this point and anyone added in the late signing period would be icing on the cake. I think they are ok with leaving a few spots open, waiting until after spring ball to see where they need depth and maybe add a grad transfer or two and that will give them a couple mores spots for the next recruiting class.

Agreed. Everybody should be happy with this class. Out of the remaining prospects, I'd still like to see them get Parker, Fonua, and Bivens.

With the transfer portal in effect, I'm not giving up on Dylan Jordan just yet.
tumblr_nya08m4jcD1txeruoo1_500.gif

I disagree with automatically saying "Kansas should be ours for the taking". This is what I've always hated about this stupid arbitrary "500 mile radius" thing. There's a big difference to me in this case between somebody in the Kansas City area where it's only a 3 hour drive to Lincoln and there's a huge alumni base and a city in southeastern Kansas that's another 2 hours further away and doesn't have that same alumni base. And why do people always blame the coaches? For whatever reason, this kid liked what TCU offered better. It happens sometimes. Get over it and move on. Remember, there are other fanbases who can't understand why some of their targets pick Nebraska.
THIS!

ADVERTISEMENT