ADVERTISEMENT

Monday (3/30) News Links

LJS: Burkamper throws gem as Huskers sweep No. 16 Texas

Fifteen innings of playing catcher during Saturday's game against Texas could have meant Tanner Lubach began Sunday's game on the Nebraska bench because of the physical demands of the position.

That's happened in the past. Lubach was going to make sure it didn't happen this time.

This was Texas, the team that the Lincoln native grew up watching the Huskers play regularly in the Big 12 Conference.

Lubach pleaded his case to coach Darin Erstad. Erstad didn't argue.

"I went up to him after the game on Saturday and I said, 'Coach, I want it,'" Lubach said. "I said, 'Let me go out there tomorrow. Let me get the sweep. Senior year, Texas at home, going for a sweep.' I didn't care how many innings I caught."

Lubach got what he wanted, and Nebraska got its sweep with a 6-2 victory against the No. 16 Longhorns on Sunday in front of a crowd of 5,793 at Haymarket Park. That followed a 3-1 win Friday, and 1-0 Saturday.

It was just two years ago that Texas swept a series from the Huskers in Austin, Texas. The last time NU swept Texas was in the third year of the Big 12, in 1999.

Nebraska (21-7) has won 14 of its last 15 games. During the series NU limited Texas to three runs on 12 hits over 33 innings. The 33 combined strikeouts are the Huskers' most in a three-games series in seven seasons.

Texas coach Augie Garrido knows something about championship baseball, his team having appeared in the College World Series just last season. He says he watched a team capable of playing it this weekend.

"(Nebraska) didn't make errors, they didn't make any mental mistakes, they didn't make any baserunning mistakes," Garrido said. "Think about the games they played. Pretty much perfect."

Sunday was Derek Burkamper's day to do impressive things for an impressive Husker pitching staff. The sophomore from Muscatine, Iowa, had a career-high six strikeouts in a career-long 8 1/3 innings. He didn't allow a run for eight innings, before giving up a two-run homer to Collin Shaw for Texas' only runs in the final two days of the series.

Burkamper retired Texas in order five times, and got 10 straight outs from the third through the sixth innings.

With the Huskers short on fresh pitchers, Burkamper put the Huskers in a great situation.

"With the wind blowing out as hard as it was, to hold them to two hits until the last inning was just phenomenal," Erstad said.

Burkamper has helped NU to three straight wins as the Sunday starter. He's always had the talent, Erstad said, and now he's maturing.

"Not knowing what I was getting into coaching, but just seeing kids grow up before your eyes and start figuring stuff out has been easily the most enjoyable thing that I've had in my job so far," the fourth-year coach said.

Burkamper was inspired by what Friday night starter Chance Sinclair and Saturday starter Kyle Kubat did against the Longhorns while charting at-bats to learn hitter's tendencies.

"Kyle is the leader, and I've tried to idolize him ever since I got here," Burkamper said. "The way he just goes about his business is great, and I just try to do what he does."

On Saturday, Nebraska had eight hits and did not score until the 15th inning.

The hits and runs came easier and earlier for the Huskers on Sunday. Nebraska scored two runs in the first inning and four in the third inning. Nebraska had a season-high 16 hits. All nine batters had a hit.

In the first inning, Blake Headley's double to deep center field scored Jake Schleppenbach. Later, Austin Darby drove in Headley.

In the third inning, NU had six straight two-out hits to score four runs and take a 6-0 lead. Lubach got it started, and hits followed by Darby, Elijah Dilday, Scott Schreiber and Wes Edrington. After a pitching change, Ryan Boldt drove in another run.

"It's crazy when rallies happen like that," Lubach said. "You're down two strikes, and the next thing you know, you get a base hit, and then the next guy gets a base hit. You just start stringing things together and we put up a four-spot."

Nebraska will close its 16-game homestand against Creighton on Tuesday.

LJS: Burkamper throws gem as Huskers sweep Texas

LJS: Husker pitching coach mindful of improved Big Ten

Things I know, and things I think I know:

Big Ten baseball has improved even since Nebraska began playing in the conference in 2012.

Has the league ever been stronger in the sport?

You have to wonder. Which perhaps is why Nebraska pitching coach Ted Silva isn't exactly doing cartwheels as the Huskers' ERA tumbles to program-record lows (2.36 after Sunday's 6-2 triumph against 16th-ranked Texas).

C'mon, coach, that sparkling ERA catches your eye, right?

"It's great," he said. "If it helps us win, that's what it comes down to, right? We could have a 5.80 ERA and if we're winning, it's all good."

Nebraska (21-7) has won 14 of its last 15 games, all at Haymarket Park, and now prepares to play Creighton (15-7) on Tuesday at Haymarket and Nebraska-Omaha (13-10) Wednesday at Werner Park in Papillion.

The lion's share of Nebraska's focus going forward will be on Big Ten play, including this weekend's series at Maryland (18-7), one of seven league teams in the RPI top 60, according to warrennolan.com. Iowa (17-6) leads the way at No. 11, followed by No. 18 Nebraska, No. 24 Ohio State (18-7), No. 28 Illinois (18-6-1), No. 33 Indiana (16-8), No. 47 Michigan State (12-12) and No. 55 Maryland.

Iowa is on the rise under second-year coach Rick Heller, who also has head-coaching stints at Indiana State, Northern Iowa and Upper Iowa.

Regarding the Big Ten, Heller told Baseball America, "I don't think there's any question that it's the best it's been. I think the talent in the league this season is incredible. You're talking about a league that for years was a one-(NCAA Tournament) bid league -- whoever won the tournament. Maybe get a second (bid) if the (regular-season) champion had a great year.

"Now, you're looking at this year's group, especially with Maryland coming into the league as good as they are, you're looking at four or five teams that have a chance to get a regional bid."

Nebraska coach Darin Erstad's attitude all along has been "bring it on." He shook up the league a little with a generally aggressive approach. It's not a cocky approach. It's more, "We don't have to settle for mediocrity." He often says that playing the best competition "is what it's all about" for his players.

By winning four of five games last week against Cal State Fullerton and Texas, Nebraska took a giant step toward its goal of playing host to an NCAA regional for the first time since 2008. Yes, that conversation can start in earnest. Buckle up. And get this: The Big Ten this season might actually help the Huskers' strength of schedule.

Meanwhile, Silva stays in the moment while others rave about his pitchers and wonder how they might stack up against great Husker staffs of yesteryear.

"If we're sitting here and having this conversation at the end of the season, it'll be a pretty special year," he said.

* Under Silva, hired by Erstad in June 2011, opponent batting averages have decreased steadily. Teams are hitting a meager .232 this year, down from .263 in 2014, .285 in 2013 and .291 in 2012.

Nebraska senior standout Kyle Kubat notices Silva "can talk the game before it happens."

"He always sees one pitch ahead, and that's kind of what I've learned," Kubat said. "Be prepared and stay ahead of the game. And be aggressive. Be aggressive with all your pitches. Don't be scared when you go out there, and just pound the zone."

* Taylor Martinez, Nebraska's former All-Big Ten quarterback, is enjoying life away from football, save for the permanent screw recently placed in the second toe of his left foot.

He is nearly two months removed from surgery on the foot he injured in the 2013 season opener against Wyoming, his final season in the program. He's rehabbing and has no plans to play again, he said Sunday from California.

Nebraska's career leader in total offense, passing yards and touchdown passes, Martinez now is a real-estate agent for Berkshire Hathaway Home Services in Newport Beach. He also creates apps for mobile devices -- that's his passion.

"I have a good job now and a really cool social media app coming out soon," he said.

He showed me bits of his latest project. Although I'm not exactly Thomas Edison, I think Martinez's latest idea could have mass appeal. He was a heck of a quarterback. He might turn out to be an even better entrepreneur.

* As good as Randy Gregory was at Nebraska, the folks who suspected he could've been much better were right. That's become clear. Here's hoping he really has found the right path and proves skeptics wrong. My read is he's a pretty complicated young man.

* Did Rick Barnes' firing at Texas create a silver lining in Nebraska's hoops struggles this season? Would Tim Miles have been prominent on UT's radar if NU had made another Big Dance appearance? I'm guessing Gregg Marshall, Shaka Smart and Chris Mack, to name three, would've been more prominent. Most NU fans are glad we'll never know.

LJS: Husker pitching coach mindful of improved B1G

NU: Get Out the Brooms, Huskers Sweep #16 Texas

Lincoln - The Nebraska baseball team (21-7, 3-0 Big Ten) completed a three-game sweep of the No. 16 Texas Longhorns (17-11, 5-1 Big 12) on Sunday afternoon at Hawks Field with a 6-2 win. The Huskers have posted sweeps in each of their last three weekend series and are now 14-1 at Hawks Field in 2015.

Nebraska's pitching staff shined over the series, limiting the Longhorns to three runs on 12 hits in 33 innings of work, including one run over the first 32 innings of the series. Nebraska's arms notched 33 strikeouts, while issuing just five walks. The 33 punch outs are the most by a Husker staff in a three-game series since 2008, when NU totaled 43 strikeouts against Texas A&M, including 19 in the 16-inning series opener. Including four-game series, the 33 strikeouts this weekend are the most during Darin Erstad's coaching era.

Derek Burkamper continued NU's starting pitching success on Sunday, as the sophomore struck out a career-high six batters in a career-long 8.1 innings. The Muscatine, Iowa, native retired the Longhorns in order five times on the day and sat down 10 straight from the third through sixth innings. Burkamper shutout the Longhorns over the first eight innings of the game, and exited in the ninth after giving up a one-out single to Tres Barrera.

After not scoring until the bottom of the 15th on Saturday, the Husker offense was hungry for runs on Sunday and feasted on UT starter Chad Hollingsworth. The junior from Waco, Texas, lasted a season-low 2.2 inning after giving up six runs on 10 hits, both career highs for the 6-2 right hander.

The Huskers totaled a season-high 16 hits on the afternoon, as all nine batters notched a hit, including a pair of hits by seven different players.

Jake Schleppenbach got the Huskers started in the first with a one-out single and then scored the game's first run on a double to deep centerfield by Blake Headley. Hollingsworth was quickly in a bases-loaded jam when he walked Ben Miller and gave up a single to Tanner Lubach. Saturday's 15th-inning hero, Austin Darby, stepped to the plate and pushed NU's lead to 2-0 with a single on the first pitch we saw from Hollingsworth. With the bases still juiced, UT got out of the jam with an inning-ending double play.

After Burkamper retired nine of the first 11 UT batters he faced, all nine of NU's batters came to the plate in the bottom of the third and NU hung four runs on the board on six hits, all with two outs. Hollingsworth retired the first two batters he faced, but then game up six straight two-out hits. Lubach and Darby got the rally started with a pair of singles before Elijah Dilday came through with his first career double to put NU on top 3-0. Scott Schreiber and Wes Edrington each followed with RBI singles and the Longhorns turned the ball over to Travis Duke. Ryan Boldt kept the hit train rolling with a RBI single before Duke stopped the bleeding with a fly ball off the bat of Schleppenbach.

The Huskers loaded the bases again in the fourth, but UT reliever Josh Sawyer escaped the threat without damage. Nebraska added three hits in the fifth and another in the sixth before their streak of notching a hit in every inning came to an end in the seventh.

The Longhorns had just their third runner in scoring position all game in the ninth when Ben Johnson opened the frame with a double. Burkamper then retired C.J. Hinojosa, 5-3, before giving up a deep fly ball to Collin Shaw that used a strong out-blowing wind to just sneak over the right-field wall for a two-run homer. Barrera followed with single, which ended Burkamper's shot at his first career complete game. Senior Josh Roeder came in and polished off the win with a 6-4-3 double play.

The Huskers are set to finish their 16-game homestand on Tuesday night at 6:35 p.m. when they welcome the Creighton Bluejays to Hawks Field. The game will be carried statewide on NET World, check with your cable provider for channel number. During the first 15 games of the homestand, attendance is at 58,845.

NU: Get Out the Brooms, Huskers Sweep #16 Texas

UT: No. 10 Baseball drops series finale at No. 30 Nebraska, 6-2

LINCOLN, Neb. -- The No. 10 Baseball team dropped the series finale at No. 30 Nebraska, 6-2, Sunday afternoon at Hawks Field.

In improving to 21-7 overall and 14-1 at home, the Cornhuskers cranked out 16 hits against a Texas pitching staff that had been stingy of late with a 1.54 ERA over the previous six games. The Longhorns (17-11) were held to five hits on Sunday, with Collin Shaw providing the run scoring on a two-run homer in the ninth.

Starting pitcher Chad Hollingsworth (3-2) was dinged up for six runs on 10 hits, while Travis Duke (1/3 IP), Josh Sawyer (2 IP), Jon Malmin (2 2/3 IP) and Andy McGuire held the Cornhuskers scoreless the rest of the way.

The Cornhuskers received a splendid start from sophomore right-hander Derek Burkamper (4-1), who shut down Texas the first eight innings before giving up a single to Johnson and the homer to Shaw in the ninth. Burkamper struck out six without issuing a walk in a career-high 8 1/3 innings.

Nebraska struck early by stringing together four consecutive hits in the first inning, including a RBI double from Blake Headley and RBI single from Austin Darby. Texas avoided further damage when Brooks Marlow fielded a grounder and turned a 4-3 double play with the bases loaded to end the inning.

But the Cornhuskers broke it open with a two-out rally in the third, stringing together six consecutive hits to bring home four runs. Two of the RBI singles were infield hits, including one to third base that Bret Boswell made a quick play on and threw to first, with the umpire ruling the throw drew first baseman Kacy Clemens off the bag.

Texas received leadoff singles from Johnson in the first and Kacy Clemens in the third, but each time was unable to scratch across a run.

After the third, the teams exchanged zeros for the next five innings, with Burkamper retiring 10 in a row at one point. Sawyer worked around four hits in his two innings, while Malmin retired nine of the 10 batters he faced.

In the ninth, Johnson led off the inning with a double down the left field line and a batter later Shaw sent his homer over the wall in right field. After Tres Barrera singled, Nebraska went to the bullpen for Josh Roeder who came on and recorded the final two outs.

The Longhorns return home to UFCU Disch-Falk Field on Tuesday when they face Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

UT: No. 10 Baseball drops series finale at NU

D1: The Ouch List, March 29

Ugh. There was a heavy dose of ugliness in our sport this weekend, StitchHeads. TCU, UCLA, Arizona State and Dallas Baptist were the only top 25 teams to come away from the week unscathed. So let's take a look at the biggest bruises of the weekend, in no particular order…

Texas logo- Texas
This Weekend: 0-for-3 at Nebraska
Sunday: Lost 6-2
Why It Hurts:
Oof, that offense. For the Burnt Orange fans, it was downright offensive. Oh sure, the Nebraska pitching staff is good, but the Longhorns made them look like Maddox, Glavine and Smoltz. The Cornhusker arms held the Longhorns to 3 runs and 12 hits in 33 innings of play. Texas is now hitting .252 as a team.

Oregon logo- Oregon
This Weekend: 0-fer at Arizona
Sunday: Lost 13-4
Why It Hurts:
We already had a single raised eyebrow looking toward these guys since they had lost both of their previous two Pac-12 series. But getting swept against a team that had an RPI of No. 119 coming into the weekend? That smarts. The respectable Ducks pitching staff got pock-marked for 29 runs on 32 hits and the defense didn't help things with nine errors leading to nine unearned Arizona runs.

Indiana University logo- Indiana
This Weekend: 0-3 at Iowa
Sunday: Lost 10-6
Why It Hurts:
The Hawkeyes stymied the Hoosiers for the first two games, racking up just eight hits and one run. Then, in Sunday's slugfest, Hoosier starter Scott Effross got dinged for six runs on five hits while recording only one out before getting pulled. On the other hand, the Hawkeyes are emerging with Illinois and Nebraska as Big Ten headline-makers, having improved to 17-6 overall.

University of Kentucky logo- LSU
This Weekend: Lost two of three at home to Kentucky.
Sunday: Lost 12-10 in 11 innings.
Why It Hurts:
Okay, so the Tigers lost the series in Game Three's extra innings. That's not a big disgrace, especially against a pretty good Kentucky team. But that's the hang-up here, for now it appears as if the Wildcats are merely "pretty good" at best. A No. 1 team in the country probably wouldn't lose this series, especially not by giving up 20 runs on 30 hits in the three games.

Eastern Illinois Panthers logo- Eastern Illinois
This Weekend: 0-3 at home vs. Murray State.
Sunday: Lost both ends of a doubleheader, 8-4 and 8-2
Why It Hurts:
It hurts because the Panthers are still the only winless team in all of college baseball at 0-20. Yyyyyyuck!

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets logo- Georgia Tech.
This Weekend: Went 0-and-3 at Louisville.
Sunday: Lost 4-1
Why It Hurts:
In my weekly video for ESPN.com I mentioned that this would be a great matchup between Louisville's pitching and Georgia Tech's hitting. Well, chalk one up for the flingers. Louisville pitchers held the Jackets to five runs and 18 hits. The Cardinals arms also lived up to their billing by dishing out 27 combined strikeouts on the weekend.

Mississippi State- Mississippi State
This Weekend: Lost two of three at home vs. Auburn.
Sunday: Won 3-1
Why It Hurts:
For the first two games of this series, the Tigers made it seem like the Left Field Lounge had closed up shop for the winter. The Bulldogs managed only nine hits in 5-0 and 4-0 losses. Coupled with their Tuesday 3-0 loss to Southern Miss, the Dogs were shut out in 28 consecutive innings this week until John Holland hit a solo home run in the second inning Sunday.

Texas Arlington logo- Texas-Arlington
This Weekend: Swept at home by Georgia State.
Sunday: Lost 2-1 in 10 innings.
Why It Hurts:
Last week, one of the better under-the-radar weekends was the Mavericks going out to UC Santa Barbara and splitting two games with the Gauchos, losing the second game in extra innings too. That's what makes this week's sweep at the hands of the visiting Panthers so curious. Granted, the Panthers aren't anyone to sneeze at, but it hurts the Mavs even more considering Game Three was decided by a wild pitch that allowed Trae Sweeting to score from third.

Duke Blue Devils logo- Duke
This Weekend: Lost all three games to Boston College in Newark, Del.
Sunday: Lost 5-4.
Why It Hurts:
Believe it or not the Devils came into the weekend with a record of 19-6 and an RPI at No. 23. So you know getting swept by the bottom-feeding Eagles has to be a ratings killer. Duke preseason All-American Michael Matuella gave up six runs on five hits with five walks in his 4.2 innings of work in Friday's 6-1 loss.

D1: The Ouch List, March 29

Re: D1 - Stat Roundup: March 29 Top Performers

Originally posted by HuskerFan31:
Hit the link.
The fact that a Nebraska Pitcher isn't on this list makes me believe they have no clue what they are Talking about!!! All three of our starters should be on that list!

East Carolina Pitcher "losses" a game to Memphis. Allows 3 runs(None Earned) on 4 hits in 6 and 1/3 pitched? Can someone explain to me how it is even possible for all three of our starters to not be listed as a better outing? Keep in mind Nebraska Pitchers faced "Texas".

This post was edited on 3/30 11:19 AM by big red22

CBI: Around the Bases (3/29)

Fettes homer leads Kentucky to series win at LSU
Texas A&M stops Missouri, Vandy whips Tennessee, TCU tops Wichita State

Kentucky 12, No. 1 LSU 10 (11)
In Baton Rouge, La., Greg Fettes had a leadoff homer in the top of the 11th to break a 10-10 tie as Kentucky won its SEC series at LSU. Ka'ai Tom (3 for 7, 3 RBI) added an RBI single later in the frame for the Wildcats (4-5, 18-10). Riley Mahan hit a pinch-hit two-out homer in the top of the ninth for UK to force extra innings. Evan White had four hits and two RBI, while Marcus Carson added three hits and three runs for the Wildcats. Spencer Jack (1-0, 3.2 IP, H, 2 BB, 3 K) earned the victory. Conner Hale and Jared Foster both went 2 for 5 with a homer, two runs and two RBI for the Tigers (5-4, 23-5).

No. 2 Texas A&M 14, Missouri 6
In College Station, Texas, Logan Taylor hit a grand slam to highlight a nine-run sixth as Texas A&M recorded an SEC series win over Missouri. Mitchell Nau (3 for 6, HR, 2 R, 4 RBI) and Logan Nottebrok (2 for 4, 2B, 2 R, 3 RBI) both homered for the Aggies (7-2, 27-2). Matt Kent (6-0, 6 IP, 7 H, 3 K) earned the victory. Jake Ring went 3 for 4 with one run and one RBI, while Ryan Howard and Case Munson both drove in a pair for the Tigers (6-3, 20-9).

No. 3 Vanderbilt 14, Tennessee 3
In Nashville, Tenn., Karl Ellison smacked a grand slam to cap a seven-run first as Vanderbilt topped Tennessee to win its SEC series. Zander Wiel went 4 for 5 with two doubles, a homer, three runs and four RBI for the Commodores (7-2, 22-6). Ryan Johnson (3-0, 4 IP, 3 H, R, 3 BB, 3 K) earned the win in relief. Chris Hall went 1 for 2 with one run and one RBI for the Volunteers (2-7, 11-13).

No. 4 TCU 11, Wichita State 2
In Fort Worth, Texas, Alex Young fanned nine in seven scoreless innings as TCU completed a three-game sweep of Wichita State. Young (5-1) allowed two hits and did not walk a batter. The Horned Frogs put the game away with seven in the seventh. Evan Skoug went 2 for 3 with two doubles, two runs and two RBI for TCU. Tanner Dearman had a two-run single in the eighth for the Shockers (11-16).

No. 6 UCLA 8, Washington State 4
In Pullman, Wash., UCLA scored two in the fourth, seventh, eighth and ninth to complete a three-game Pac-12 sweep of Washington State. Ty Moore had two hits, including a double, and three RBI, while Christoph Bono knocked in a pair for the Bruins (8-1, 21-5). Shea Donlin had two hits and two runs, while Wes Leow drove in a pair for the Cougars (1-8, 12-14).

No. 7 Louisville 4, Georgia Tech 1
In Louisville, Ky. Josh Rogers allowed one run over six innings as Louisville completed an ACC series sweep of Georgia Tech. Rogers (4-1) allowed six hits with one walk and six strikeouts. Zack Burdi fanned two in the ninth for his third save. Brendan McKay went 1 for 3 with one run and one RBI for the Cardinals (11-1, 21-7). Ryan Peurifoy had three hits and a run for the Yellow Jackets (5-7, 17-10).

No. 8 UCF 4, No. 17 Houston 3
In Orlando, Fla., Kyle Marsh scored the tying run on an error in the bottom of the ninth and James Vasquez knocked in the game-winner later in the frame as UCF won its American series against Houston. Vasquez went 3 for 5 with one run and one RBI for the Knights (2-1, 22-7). Zach Rodgers (4-0, 8 IP, 5 H, R, 3 BB, 5 K) earned the win in relief. Zac Taylor drove in two, while Jacob Campbell went 3 for 4 with two runs for the Cougars (1-2, 19-9).

No. 9 Florida State 6, Virginia Tech 5
In Tallahassee, Fla., John Delph singled to drive in the tying run with two away in the bottom of the ninth and Dylan Busby scored the winning run on an error as Florida State rallied to win its ACC series against Virginia Tech. The Seminoles (9-3, 22-7) trailed 5-1 before scoring three in the seventh and two in the ninth. John Sansone had two hits and two runs for FSU. Alex Perez went 3 for 4 with three runs and an RBI, while Sean Keselica drove in three for the Hokies (6-6, 15-14).

No. 10 South Carolina 8, Georgia 5
In Columbia, S.C., Madison Stokes had a two-run double to cap a three-run seventh as South Carolina pulled away from Georgia to salvage the finale of their SEC series. Hunter Taylor (2 for 3, 2 RBI) and Kyle Martin (2 for 3, 2 R) both went deep for the Gamecocks (5-4, 19-9). Gene Cone had three hits, including a double, and two runs for South Carolina. Stephen Wrenn (2 for 5, 2 R) homered for the Bulldogs (5-4, 18-11).

No. 11 Arizona State 14, Stanford 6
In Phoenix, Ariz., Brian Serven went 5 for 5 with two homers, four runs and five RBI to lead Arizona State to a Pac-12 sweep of Stanford. The Sun Devils (7-2, 18-7) scored multiple runs in four of their eight at-bats, including six in the eighth. Austin Barr was 3 for 4 with two runs and two RBI for the Cardinal (0-6, 10-14).

No. 12 USC 4, Washington 3 (10)
In Seattle, Bobby Stahel had a leadoff homer in the top of the 10t as USC won its Pac-12 series at Washington. Brooks Kriske (1-1, 2.2 IP, 2 H, BB, K) picked up the win, while Alex Chavarria worked around a one-out single and got three groundouts to earn his second save. Stahel finished with three hits, while Timmy Robinson went 2 for 5 with two RBI for the Trojans (4-2, 22-6). Braden Bishop had two hits and two RBI for the Huskies (2-7, 15-12).

Nebraska 6, No. 13 Texas 2
In Lincoln, Neb., Nebraska scored a pair in the first and four in the third in sweeping a series from Texas. Blake Headley and Elijah Dilday both had two hits, including a double, one run and one RBI for the Huskers (21-7). Derek Burkamper (8.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 6 K) earned the victory. Collin Shaw had a two-run homer in the ninth from the Longhorns (17-11).

North Carolina 10, No. 14 Miami 3
In Chapel Hill, N.C., Zach Gahagan drove in four as North Carolina avoided the ACC sweep against Miami. The Tar Heels (6-6, 16-11) scored multiple runs in each of the first three innings, including five in the third. Joe Dudek went 2 for 3 with two doubles, three runs and two RBI for UNC. Johnny Ruiz was 2 for 2 with one RBI for the Hurricanes (8-4, 20-9).

Southern Miss 5, No. 15 Rice 1
In Houston, Dylan Burdeaux had an RBI triple and scored in the top of the first as Southern Miss salvaged the finale of its Conference USA series with Rice. Burdeaux finished with three hits and two RBI, while Michael Sterling had two hits and two runs for the Golden Eagles (4-4, 15-10-1). James McMahon (5-0, 7.1 IP, 5 H, 3 K) earned the victory, while Cody Livingston retired the final two hitters to record his first save. Connor Teykl had three hits and one RBI for the Owls (9-3, 19-11).

No. 16 Virginia 5, Notre Dame 4
In Notre Dame, Ind., Adam Haseley and Pavin Smith both had three hits and one RBI as Virginia swept its ACC series at Notre Dame. Brandon Waddell (2-1, 5.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 3 K) earned the win, while Josh Sborz (1 IP, H, R, 3 K) registered his seventh save. Lane Richards (2 for 5, 2 RBI) homered for the Irish (3-9, 16-10).

No. 18 UC Santa Barbara 4, Long Beach State 2
In Santa Barbara, Calif., UC Santa Barbara scored four in the bottom of the eighth to record a series win over Long Beach State. Peter Maris had an RBI double and Luke Swenson had a run-scoring triple for the Gauchos (2-1, 19-7). Domenic Mazza (3-0, 0.1 IP, K) earned the win in relief of Shane Bieber (7.2 IP, 8 H, R, 5 K), while Robby Nesovic (1 IP, 2 H, R, BB, K) registered his first save. Garrett Hampson had two hits and a run for the Dirtbags (1-2, 13-10).

Michigan 5, No. 19 Maryland 2
In Ann Arbor, Mich., Kyle Jusick had a pinch-hit three-run double to highlight a five-run first as Michigan won its Big Ten series against Maryland. Jayce Vancena (1-1, 4 IP, 4 H, 2 K) earned the win in relief, while Bryan Pall fanned two in a perfect ninth for his first save. Jose Cuas had two hits and one RBI for the Terrapins (4-2, 18-7).

Michigan State 5, No. 20 Illinois 2
In East Lansing, Mich., Cam Gibson had an RBI single and scored in a three-run fifth as Michigan State evened its Big Ten series with Illinois. Cam Vieaux (1-4, 7 IP, 5 H, R, 4 BB, 7 K) earned his first win for the Spartans (2-3, 12-12). David Kerian homered for the Illinois (1-1, 19-6-1).

CBI: Around the Bases (3/29)

ADVERTISEMENT