ADVERTISEMENT

MJ press conference

I will also say this

the Nebraska job is unique in every single way, and no job can properly prepare someone for it day 1

this is why I believe no coach with prior HC experience has had any success here since Devaney

the proven candidates we've hired turned out to be the worst in school history

the ones with no experience have turned out to be the best
this is true but

Kong I’ve been on the Mickey train since day one until today. The thing that killed my love was last week he stated something that no one’s backups takes enough reps or something along the lines. But then today Minnesotas back up says hold my beer and kills it.

I was fine for Mickey to let Whipple hang himself last week. No excuse this week. He might be able to see talent but he can’t see a guy who is so yellow he shouldn’t be on the field. The leaders gotta see clear and can’t be wishful thinking.

Ultimately who plays is the Head Coach’s decision.
But, you don't have to throw the guy under the bus. You just say, "during the week we talked, and if the job got too big for Chubba, or we quit moving the ball we'd insert Logan because the object is to win."

Even if that's kind of a bullshit story, at least the head coach exerts his authority and the OC tries to make it work.

the proven candidates we've hired turned out to be the worst in school history

the ones with no experience have turned out to be the best
What an incredibly poor take. That is down to the pathetic way we have hired coaches in the past. We have had 0 good coaches since TO. All pathetic hires top to bottom. Do better.

You all read way too much into the coaches comments. You bitch when they say they had great practice. You bitch when they say the starter gets all the reps. You bitch when they split reps. You want the backup in because he's better than the starter. The ****ing coaches say what's politically correct. MJ ain't gonna come out and say the truth. And that is simple. The o line sucks. The defense sucks. The play calls suck. The wide receivers can't get open. Why are ABrown and Washington playing? They both suck. These players were beaten down by the shitiest head coach in football history. They aren't going to get better. There is nothing that MJ can do now to change what SF did.

Don't think we win another game this season, unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong. Iowa will prob. beat us 6 - 0 regardless who plays QB.

Gonna be hard to make the case that MJ is the guy when the results are identical to the guy we just had to fire for shit job performance

I don’t like “plays nervous” as a quote from the coaching staff about one of the players to the media

No doubt true - but has negative connotations and the coaching staff had the announcers repeating it multiple times on national TV

it certainly isn’t going to help a player by announcing he struggles with being nervous to the world

“young player who we are excited about but needs more game experience” is what you would say if you have your players back
MJ doesn’t sugar coat it—tells it like it is. Chubba knows it and he has to figure it out.

What an incredibly poor take. That is down to the pathetic way we have hired coaches in the past. We have had 0 good coaches since TO. All pathetic hires top to bottom. Do better.
that is not a take, that is a fact

learn to differentiate

MJ said that he and Whipple were on the same page as to who the QB should be as the game went on. He said that we needed to throw downfield so they stuck with Purdy. And then they decided to put Smothers in when they finally decided that Purdy was not seeing and/or hitting open receivers. My God. That is very damning. The press corps was really pressing him on why Smothers did not play sooner and he had no answer. Seriously coach? It took six straight three and outs for you to finally figure out that Purdy was not getting it done?? MJ was clearly groping for an answer to those questions and all he could say was that Smothers was inconsistent throwing the ball in practice. So that means Purdy must throw better in practice? But MJ himself said that Purdy plays nervous so it should have been clear to him much sooner that Purdy the practice QB is not the same as Purdy the game QB.
I wanted MJ to be the guy, I really did. But I don't buy the "we needed to throw downfield" line. We were up 10-0 at half and it was 10-10 going into the 4th quarter. Didn't really "need to throw downfield" until they were down 20-10 which was with 9min left in the 4th quarter.

What they really needed was an effective running and short passing game which is what they had on their first two series. Very effective and very difficult to stop but instead we decided to throw downfield. We had one throw (completion to Washington) downfield today if I remember right. And I said it already but once Minn saw we couldn't throw downfield, they focused on taking everything else away.

I have no problem with his press conference. He handles those about as well as you can, with a player first mentality.

You have to remember MJ is a people person, and the poster that mentioned it's not his style to out another coach is probably right.

MJ is not going to be d ick to people he works with.. should he have made that call earlier? yes, but MJ is probably learning a little bit too.

We gave Frosty all kinds of time to do on the job training..

We got some good recruiting stuff going on today as well as another commitment.

I think MJ can handle the pressure, and bring in the players. I want to see his long term staff and give him 4 years on a contract and go from there.

I think he's going to relate to those players down south a lot better than Frost did, and we need a big influx of talent.

What is your logic that he has a high ceiling? He was bad as associate head coach at LSU and has no coordinator experience. He is 2-4 as an interim coach against a weak schedule. There is no logical reason to hire Mickey
He talks a mean game and is a former Husker. You have to hire him.

• Haha
Reactions: TheNewNU
Purdy had trey wide open for a TD in the first half and underthrew the ball by 10 yards. He can't throw at all. Stevie Wonder could see this

Purdy had trey wide open for a TD in the first half and underthrew the ball by 10 yards. He can't throw at all. Stevie Wonder could see this.
Fun fact... Stevie Wonder isnt actually blind

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
MJ said that he and Whipple were on the same page as to who the QB should be as the game went on. He said that we needed to throw downfield so they stuck with Purdy. And then they decided to put Smothers in when they finally decided that Purdy was not seeing and/or hitting open receivers. My God. That is very damning. The press corps was really pressing him on why Smothers did not play sooner and he had no answer. Seriously coach? It took six straight three and outs for you to finally figure out that Purdy was not getting it done?? MJ was clearly groping for an answer to those questions and all he could say was that Smothers was inconsistent throwing the ball in practice. So that means Purdy must throw better in practice? But MJ himself said that Purdy plays nervous so it should have been clear to him much sooner that Purdy the practice QB is not the same as Purdy the game QB.

Minnesota must not have got that memo from MJ that there is a big drop between 1st and 2nd QB’s.

I have more confidence in MJ when it comes to recruiting than I do for any of the other names mentioned. If recruiting is really the crux of the issue here, you need to get the absolute best guy here. Are guys gonna line up to come here for another failed NFL coach in Rhule or an old man like LL? What are they gonna sell kids? Give MJ the reins, let him bring in a couple top 15 classes, new OC and DC, get back to running the ball, playing power football. I just dont get the butthurt over this game. I mean, yes, I was pissed about the loss and about not pulling Purdy, but he looked great first couple drives. MN adjusted and shut us down, got their run game going, etc. We have no depth, lack of big time playmakers. What do you guys expect ANY coach to do with this team? We are playing tough with what we have. We just need way, way more depth and talent. MJ wasn't gonna fix that this year. Probably not even next.

Minnesota’s backup quarterback is actually better than the starter.
Tanner Morgan is trash. No idea why they continue to run him out there. I've felt that way for awhile. His one mediocre year he had an insane OL and skill players all over and a lot of times I felt like he brought that team down. I texted my buddy when the backup started to look out because the kid has running ability and that is our achilles.

in 4 months on staff he brought in the fastest player in the conference & the likely NU single season rec yards record holder

my assumption is that he'd be able to attract better players than [insert boring average "proven" coach] by a country mile

thus, and quite obviously, he has the highest ceiling
The problem with that logic is that you limit his role in recruiting if you make him head coach. By all means I want to retain him but probably in his previous role.

The problem with that logic is that you limit his role in recruiting if you make him head coach. By all means I want to retain him but probably in his previous role.
are you kidding?

he will be infinitely more visible - and infinitely more impactful - to prospects at scale as a Head Coach

Mickey's not a sales guy (individual contributor), he's a leader of men & he's as magnetic as it gets

having him only recruit WRs is what limits him (obviously)

Yeah no. He’s blind as hell. Premie retinopathy.
Seen him in concert, about 1970 in Hopewell, Virginia. I think he was about 18-20 years old at the time. He's definitely blind.

My adopted son was featured in a Super Bowl commercial with him about 6-8 years ago, I think in New Orleans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT