ADVERTISEMENT

MJ press conference

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
MJ said that he and Whipple were on the same page as to who the QB should be as the game went on. He said that we needed to throw downfield so they stuck with Purdy. And then they decided to put Smothers in when they finally decided that Purdy was not seeing and/or hitting open receivers. My God. That is very damning. The press corps was really pressing him on why Smothers did not play sooner and he had no answer. Seriously coach? It took six straight three and outs for you to finally figure out that Purdy was not getting it done?? MJ was clearly groping for an answer to those questions and all he could say was that Smothers was inconsistent throwing the ball in practice. So that means Purdy must throw better in practice? But MJ himself said that Purdy plays nervous so it should have been clear to him much sooner that Purdy the practice QB is not the same as Purdy the game QB.

MJ said that he and Whipple were on the same page as to who the QB should be as the game went on. He said that we needed to throw downfield so they stuck with Purdy. And then they decided to put Smothers in when they finally decided that Purdy was not seeing and/or hitting open receivers. My God. That is very damning. The press corps was really pressing him on why Smothers did not play sooner and he had no answer. Seriously coach? It took six straight three and outs for you to finally figure out that Purdy was not getting it done?? MJ was clearly groping for an answer to those questions and all he could say was that Smothers was inconsistent throwing the ball in practice. So that means Purdy must throw better in practice? But MJ himself said that Purdy plays nervous so it should have been clear to him much sooner that Purdy the practice QB is not the same as Purdy the game QB.
Well that was Mickey’s interview. I think we know the answer as to whether I should be the coach.
Or
Once he gets his players in here
Frost really did a number on these guys
Can’t change a culture in 2 years
These are frosts recruits he needs 5 years to judge him

Anyone who used those excuses for frost along the way sound even more dumb now.

• Haha
Reactions: TheNewNU
I don’t like “plays nervous” as a quote from the coaching staff about one of the players to the media

No doubt true - but has negative connotations and the coaching staff had the announcers repeating it multiple times on national TV

it certainly isn’t going to help a player by announcing he struggles with being nervous to the world

“young player who we are excited about but needs more game experience” is what you would say if you have your players back

Last edited:
I suspect the coaches fell into the trap of Purdy being a good practice QB but not a good game QB. It's mental when you let the nerves get to you during a real game. As I said in another post, I remember we had a QB like that some years ago named Green. He always wowed the coaches at practice but then couldn't handle the pressure aspect during a real game. It took the coaches way too long to figure that out. I suspect Purdy is similar.

The damning thing for the coaches is that they apparently knew that Purdy had a problem with nerves before the game was even played. The ESPN announcers alluded to that. So shame on them for not pulling him earlier in the game.

lol are you Mickey's wife or something? Give it a rest, Mickey is not qualified for a Big Ten head coaching position.
Exactly. I was a supporter of Mickey until today. But there is no way to explain away that absolute brain fart of a decision to stick with Purdy. The press corps knew it and pressed MJ on it and he had no answer. None.

Well that was Mickey’s interview. I think we know the answer as to whether I should be the coach.
Or
Once he gets his players in here
Frost really did a number on these guys
Can’t change a culture in 2 years
These are frosts recruits he needs 5 years to judge him

Anyone who used those excuses for frost along the way sound even more dumb now.
Damn you sound stupid.

I have to assume he doesn't want to throw Whipple under the bus. That's not his style

He's like the kid who warms up in the bullpen throwing nothing but strikes.

Put him on the mound, and he can't locate the plate.

lol are you Mickey's wife or something? Give it a rest, Mickey is not qualified for a Big Ten head coaching position.
I guess infallible is the new criteria for you and the other zero vision small brains?

good luck finding a higher ceiling than what Mickey brings

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u and TheNewNU
Exactly. I was a supporter of Mickey until today. But there is no way to explain away that absolute brain fart of a decision to stick with Purdy. The press corps knew it and pressed MJ on it and he had no answer. None.
jmo think Mickey has run out of solutions for a band aide fix he’s actually did a decent job with the team but I agree today’s game was a head scratcher, chubba doesn’t have his brothers composure

I will also say it’s flat out hilarious to see all these pitchforks in the hands of so many “we’re close”rs

frost touched you all inappropriately for so long you’ve been scrambled

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Last week should have been Purdy's last snap as a QB EVERRR. Are you kidding me? Are you effin' kidding me!? All the first team practice snaps go to Smothers or anyone else not named Purdy this week. Seriously, seriously? You guys are D1 coaches? Stop embarrassing yourselves. Like I said last week. Time to clean house.

They were both bad.

Reactions: scojo16
Bingo- anyone with eyes knew Smothers had more juice than Purdy- boy Whip sticks with his guys. Where is Torres and Halberg?

These are the things to be learned on the way up as a coordinator or HC at a smaller school. Not on the job training here. This is why we need more proven candidates. I like MJ. I want him on staff. He just doesn’t have the chops, right now, for the top job.

I don't think so
It's on Coordinators
Remember Frost always said it was Chins that made decisions on defense
I think we are both correct to a point
To quote President Biden: "Come on man!" You cannot really believe this. Head coaches do indeed give their coordinators a wide latitude. But when things are not going as they should a good coach intervenes and overrides the decision of the coordinator if he thinks it is wrong.

These are the things to be learned on the way up as a coordinator or HC at a smaller school. Not on the job training here. This is why we need more proven candidates. I like MJ. I want him on staff. He just doesn’t have the chops, right now, for the top job.
the proven candidates we've hired turned out to be the worst in school history

the ones with no experience have turned out to be the best

I guess infallible is the new criteria for you and the other zero vision small brains?

good luck finding a higher ceiling than what Mickey brings
What is your logic that he has a high ceiling? He was bad as associate head coach at LSU and has no coordinator experience. He is 2-4 as an interim coach against a weak schedule. There is no logical reason to hire Mickey

What is your logic that he has a high ceiling? He was bad as associate head coach at LSU and has no coordinator experience. He is 2-4 as an interim coach against a weak schedule. There is no logical reason to hire Mickey
in 4 months on staff he brought in the fastest player in the conference & the likely NU single season rec yards record holder

my assumption is that he'd be able to attract better players than [insert boring average "proven" coach] by a country mile

thus, and quite obviously, he has the highest ceiling

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
To quote President Biden: "Come on man!" You cannot really believe this. Head coaches do indeed give their coordinators a wide latitude. But when things are not going as they should a good coach intervenes and overrides the decision of the coordinator if he thinks it is wrong.
Well lol I am not a Biden supporter
I did say we both are correct
And Whipple doesn’t?
To a point agree

in 4 months on staff he brought in the fastest player in the conference & the likely NU single season rec yards record holder

my assumption is that he'd be able to attract better players than [insert boring average "proven" coach] by a country mile

thus, and quite obviously, he has the highest ceiling
So because of a few good recruits he has a higher ceiling than coaches with proven track records of success? Yeah not buying it and very people are.

Reactions: Bruce1981
So because of a few good recruits he has a higher ceiling than coaches with proven track records of success? Yeah not buying it and very people are.
if you are going to call whatever the coaches who are in the mix for the job have done "proven track records of success", then you cannot say Mickey's landed "a few good recruits"

Mickey's proven track record of identifying, landing and developing talent far and away exceeds that of any coach's I've heard bandied here

but people instead would like to debate which years count and which years don't when discussing "proven track records" of the average duds they want hired

this isn't baseball. you can pull a qb out and calm him down when it's obvious things are starting to fall apart. not impressed with coaches today. next.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT