ADVERTISEMENT

MJ for head coach!!

Great questions. With the last four hires, none of the new HC's hired a "great staff". Riley and Frost brought in their own staffs. Bo and Callahan hired a hodge podge of retreads, newbies, drinking buddies and relatives. As far as a staff is concerned, Mickey would retain any coaches who have proven to him that they can get it done so that's a start at least.

I'm not saying Mickey has to be the guy. But with him, I'm seeing a guy who the kids will believe in. And he will have three things in combination that no one else has-- he's got experience as the head coach at NU, he's coached in the Big 10 and strong recruiting ties to a prime recruiting spot in Louisiana.
Yes, yes Dean! This is it! Mickey know talent, motivation and is a grinder! Doesn't have hobbies, I believe to the extend of you know who! He started coaching in high school and all the way up the latter! Nothing has been handed to him in life! He has national respect, recruiting knowledge! Go Mickey go! Recruit now!

What I want most of all are coaches who can evaluate talent on the OL/DL and it doesn't have to be four or five star talent. I wouldn't be surprised if Alberts gives Joseph a one or two year audition as HC if he can't find the right guy to take the HC job by the end of the season.

I don't blame Joseph or Busch one bit for the mess we have right now especially with the DL/OL. Mickey took the job as head coach because he loves Nebraska as does Busch and they should be retained even if it's as a position coach next year.

If anyone watched the Tennessee/Alabama game yesterday you know how far we are from what we once were as a program and even mighty Michigan wouldn't stand a chance against either of those two programs. I'm not sure we will ever be what we once were but I think we can become respectful again.

No defense coordinator, talent definitely exposed ( thanks Duval) short- handed! Kids still played they're asses off! One stop and we possibly win in West Lafayette!! We know he can recruit!! Now I know he can coach! Get a proven DC and a couple coaching changes and we're competing for B1G West championship!! Keep him. Been watching NU football for 50 years, I see something here worth keeping!!
Your out of your mind if you think Trev is hiring a wr coach as headcoach.

No defense coordinator, talent definitely exposed ( thanks Duval) short- handed! Kids still played they're asses off! One stop and we possibly win in West Lafayette!! We know he can recruit!! Now I know he can coach! Get a proven DC and a couple coaching changes and we're competing for B1G West championship!! Keep him. Been watching NU football for 50 years, I see something here worth keeping!!
SMDH silly fools want to lose.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Right now watching the “top candidates” stub their toes week after week, I’m ready to gamble on Mickey. Love the guy
I think you take your best shot at the very top coaches (Meyer, Gundy, Kiffen, Fickell), and if they all say no, you name MJ as head coach because he's as good of a gamble as all the rest and the players are playing hard for him.

Last edited:
Do you think any other Power 5 school with an opening is interested in hiring Mickey Joseph? Would he even be in their Top 20 list of candidates?

If everyone else turns us down, sure give him a shot. But he should be our Plan Z, not Plan A, B, or C

Both are certainly worth retaining, I don't see MJ being named HFC but he and Busch are must keeps in my humble opinion.
That will be difficult if we land a coach worthy of expectation. They will likely have their own staff. Delicate balancing act. Also depends on how red assed MJ might be if he doesn’t get the gig and believe he should.

If Mickey can go 3-2 in the next 5 and get us to a bowl that'd be a strong case for him to stay. Figure we'll lose at Illinois and Michigan but would like to see us at least competitive at against Illinois. (We aren't beating Michigan or even coming close probably lol)

Positives for Mickey are the team is definitely playing better under him and second half adjustments. On the flip side his clock management needs work. The verdict is still out for me... let's see how these next 5 games go and hopefully a bowl game too

If we lose Mickey you can kiss a lot of talent goodbye. Why any coach would get rid of Mickey, Busch or Applewhite is beyond me. Those guys are doing a great job
I think sometime this week, I will scroll through the threads and kind of get an idea of the overall feeling of Mickey becoming Head Coach, those who are for it at this time, and those opposed.

Not using this as a finger-pointing excercise, moreseo, just to get a better overall view since Mickey has some strong support, some mild support, and some who are neutral, some are against it, and some are deadset against it.

None of us are involved in the process of choosing who the next head coach will be, and I'm sure the majority of us have decided if we would or would not like Mickey as the head coach.

I think every poster is entitled to their own opinion, those for and opposed to Mickey all have valid reasons for their approval/non-approval.

Many are undecided depending on how the rest of the season ends. Those would be considered "potentially head coach - based on the remainder of the season results."

I'll use categories like "strongly in support of his hiring", "strongly opposed to his hiring" "non-committal based on upcoming results", "lack of resume, HC experience", etc.

I'm open to other suggestions on the criteria. Since I have time, it just seems like a fun thing to do.

Last edited:
Not sure I would feel that great about Leipold, Klieman or O’Brien. They all have some big question marks too. And I’m not sure Urban or Ruhle are getable.
Urban and Rhule are ~0% risk of not rebuilding this program in 3-4 years. I think O'Brien might almost as good. Leipold is next followed by Kleiman

If Alberts were to hire Joseph I would like to see a two year contract with the understanding he must show improvement by the end of the second year in order to get a longer contract. I've had enough of those 50 million dollar deals with huge buy outs. The only way Nebraska should spend 50 million if it's the absolute home run hire we all would love to see, one with little down side and tremendous up side.

If Alberts were to hire Joseph I would like to see a two year contract with the understanding he must show improvement by the end of the second year in order to get a longer contract. I've had enough of those 50 million dollar deals with huge buy outs. The only way Nebraska should spend 50 million if it's the absolute home run hire we all would love to see, one with little down side and tremendous up side.
A two year contract would be bad for recruiting, as someone previously stated.

608 yards and 38 first downs, and you want to keep Busch?

No, open up the pocketbook and get a proven defensive coordinator. Whatever the guy at Illinois makes, offer him double to come here.
So you are going to blame Busch for absolutely horrible recruiting and a very depleted linebacker and secondary crew.
That makes no sense.
Not saying Busch is the answer yet man open up your eyes. This team is so depleted on both lines secondary and linebackers its crazy.

A two year contract would be bad for recruiting, as someone previously stated.
Yeah I know recruiting would suffer a bit but with the way the portal and NIL is set up you won't have to worry about recruits out of HS as long as you recruit perspective players properly. I'm not saying recruiting HS kids is not important but the way our program is going right now I don't see high caliber players flocking to sign with Nebraska right now.

If Joseph can do what is necessary in two years you will see kids coming to Nebraska to play for Joseph he communicates well and has a way of recruiting the right kind of kids. I think Alberts is going to have to get the right guy and if he can't sign Joseph to a short term contract with the understanding he can get a longer contract if improvement is made.

608 yards and 38 first downs, and you want to keep Busch?

No, open up the pocketbook and get a proven defensive coordinator. Whatever the guy at Illinois makes, offer him double to come here.

Not to mention 54 pass attempts by Purdue with 0 sacks. We need a realmdefensive coordinator who takes exception to being scored on.

HELL NO!!!! I am ready to win. If Alberts is stupid enough to promote Joseph, we will be making a coaching change in 3 years along with another AD change. No, spend the money and get a big time coach and turn this thing around. F*ck this experimental bullshit! This is almost as annoying as the people who kept saying Frost deserved more time after the losing seasons piled up.

I highly doubt Alberts is stupid enough to do an experimental coach after what will be a 6th straight losing season. If he is, I'll be in the camp that he isn't the right guy.
Three years and a new coach and AD. Sounds familiar! Get on board! Experiments are fun!

Not to mention 54 pass attempts by Purdue with 0 sacks. We need a realmdefensive coordinator who takes exception to being scored on.
NO! We need players who are Big Ten level, not Peru State intramural level. Sorry, Peru State alumni.

Yeah I know recruiting would suffer a bit but with the way the portal and NIL is set up you won't have to worry about recruits out of HS as long as you recruit perspective players properly. I'm not saying recruiting HS kids is not important but the way our program is going right now I don't see high caliber players flocking to sign with Nebraska right now.

If Joseph can do what is necessary in two years you will see kids coming to Nebraska to play for Joseph he communicates well and has a way of recruiting the right kind of kids. I think Alberts is going to have to get the right guy and if he can't sign Joseph to a short term contract with the understanding he can get a longer contract if improvement is made.
Rather than a 2 year contract you go a minimum of 4 years at a modest base salary and huge bonuses for wins, bowl games and high conference finishes. Then you base your buyout on that modest base salary so that if things go south in year 1 or 2 you can cut bait without taking a monster financial hit.

I’m not against spending to get the right coach but you need to be prudent with the check book or donors will dry up.

All right, you have forced my hand. 4-1 the rest of the way or no Mickey. There, I've said it. Unless one of the losses is close, then 3-2, That's as far as I will go. Unless... He is a great recruiter, though.

All right, you have forced my hand. 4-1 the rest of the way or no Mickey. There, I've said it. Unless one of the losses is close, then 3-2, That's as far as I will go. Unless... He is a great recruiter, though.
Bill Belichik couldn’t win 4 more games with this team

Good luck with your coach search. I notice a lot of comments about the poor talent currently on the team. Honest question: I thought Frost had respectable recruiting classes the last few years, have the recruits not performed up to their "star" level, or have you lost recruits through transfer or injury?

Good luck with your coach search. I notice a lot of comments about the poor talent currently on the team. Honest question: I thought Frost had respectable recruiting classes the last few years, have the recruits not performed up to their "star" level, or have you lost recruits through transfer or injury?
Lack of development/lost recruits via transfer/reaches

I love Mickey Joseph and he will continue to be an asset for the program going forward as he'll be retained next season. But he's not a head coach. He's an assistant coach and that's where he performs best. Same thing with Bill Busch. They're both doing the best they can in roles that are above their abilities right now

Reactions: Meanfarmer3160
A little bit of both. But arguably the single biggest problem under Frost, Chinander, Verduzco, and Lubick was lack of player development. Some of these guys would likely be further along and playing better football if not for starting their careers under an absentee head coach.

If anything is LOL, it's people already dying on the hill to hire a guy with zero P5 head coaching experience. Trolls are constantly saying that Nebraska fans live in the past and think we're better than what we are, but he actual truth is that a lot of Nebraska fans are defeatist low-esteem types that think we can't do better than a career assistant. So yeah, we need to stop stepping on our dicks and make a big time hire.

LOL....

If anything is LOL, it's people already dying on the hill to hire a guy with zero P5 head coaching experience. Trolls are constantly saying that Nebraska fans live in the past and think we're better than what we are, but he actual truth is that a lot of Nebraska fans are defeatist low-esteem types that think we can't do better than a career assistant. So yeah, we need to stop stepping on our dicks and make a big time hire.

LOL....
I’m all for a “big time hire”…I’m just not sold on our ability to pull one. Nebraska is not an easy place to recruit. That is a huge negative when it comes to hiring. Who would be a big time hire for us?

Who is the poster who claimed Mickey called into his wife’s radio show and was drunk. If that ends up true then he should be passed on.

• Haha
After reading a BIO on Bill Obrien I really like him
Mickey I am sure is in the interview category
Not sure how his answers will be about where he wants the program to be and who he would hire as assistants and so forth.
That will be just as if not more important than this years wins and loses

ADVERTISEMENT