ADVERTISEMENT

MJ for head coach!!

No defense coordinator, talent definitely exposed ( thanks Duval) short- handed! Kids still played they're asses off! One stop and we possibly win in West Lafayette!! We know he can recruit!! Now I know he can coach! Get a proven DC and a couple coaching changes and we're competing for B1G West championship!! Keep him. Been watching NU football for 50 years, I see something here worth keeping!!
I’d be on board. I like MJ. I think he deserves a shot.

And people like you are convinced Joseph or Leipold will only be just fine and not actually good. How is it you’re right and others are wrong?
Look, Timnsun, I love Micky and he should stay on regardless of any coach. I’m looking at this from the perspective that given the high risk and utmost emphasis on getting this hire right, people need to stop suddenly crowning MJ the next head coach for several years to come because we won a game or two

HELL NO!!!! I am ready to win. If Alberts is stupid enough to promote Joseph, we will be making a coaching change in 3 years along with another AD change. No, spend the money and get a big time coach and turn this thing around. F*ck this experimental bullshit! This is almost as annoying as the people who kept saying Frost deserved more time after the losing seasons piled up.

I highly doubt Alberts is stupid enough to do an experimental coach after what will be a 6th straight losing season. If he is, I'll be in the camp that he isn't the right guy.

The thing with folks that immediately are MJ or Lance or bust is that they are comfortable with being “just fine” and not actually good.

That’s the gravitation towards mediocrity that Peterson was talking about
Yeah if you want Mickey Joseph you are fine with being mediocre. He should only get the job if literally every proven coach turns down the job.

The people pining for Joseph are only doing it based off emotion. The guy has done nothing to prove he deserves a job at a place that expects to compete for national titles. You get the most proven coach you can find, not an experimental coach just because you had a good 4th quarter against Indiana.

HELL NO!!!! I am ready to win. If Alberts is stupid enough to promote Joseph, we will be making a coaching change in 3 years along with another AD change. No, spend the money and get a big time coach and turn this thing around. F*ck this experimental bullshit! This is almost as annoying as the people who kept saying Frost deserved more time after the losing seasons piled up.

I highly doubt Alberts is stupid enough to do an experimental coach after what will be a 6th straight losing season. If he is, I'll be in the camp that he isn't the right guy.
Who should Alberts go after, in your opinion. Not starting a hassle here, just curious of your top choices. Thanks.

Look, Timnsun, I love Micky and he should stay on regardless of any coach. I’m looking at this from the perspective that given the high risk and utmost emphasis on getting this hire right, people need to stop suddenly crowning MJ the next head coach for several years to come because we won a game or two
I don’t disagree with you here, all I’m saying is let the season play out before cancelling him as head coach. He could surprise some people and he could be a good one. I know it doesn’t happen often, but I bet Clemson would be kicking themselves had they went in a different direction than Dabo.

You just never know. I hear what you’re saying about the risk. Maybe the risk IS too high. But I think someone will pick him up. He won’t be a WR coach forever.

I don’t disagree with you here, all I’m saying is let the season play out before cancelling him as head coach. He could surprise some people and he could be a good one. I know it doesn’t happen often, but I bet Clemson would be kicking themselves had they went in a different direction than Dabo.

You just never know. I hear what you’re saying about the risk. Maybe the risk IS too high. But I think someone will pick him up. He won’t be a WR coach forever.

I hear and second that

Reactions: timnsun

Great effing post.

Who should Alberts go after, in your opinion. Not starting a hassle here, just curious of your top choices. Thanks.
I have the same opinion and I made a list of at least 12 guys with recent head coaching experience who would be realistic options. There's probably some other head coaches, coordinators, etc. out there I would take over Mickey as well, and what I've seen so far from him hasn't impressed me at all. Hiring MJ would be settling big time.

for chicken salad, at least. Kudos! We have many injuries, 0 interior defensive linemen that give offensive coordinators a second thought, an average, at best, offensive line...but we do battle. Refreshing. I really hate losing, but the fight is refreshing.

We were playing 3rd string walk ons in the back 7 big minutes tonight. Hell one guy I still am not sure who he was. Sanford played almost the whole game. Purdues QB got the ball out fast and avoided the big mistakes

1. Lane
2. Mickey
Ww
1. Lane
2. Mickey
I love these guys

I have the same opinion and I made a list of at least 12 guys with recent head coaching experience who would be realistic options. There's probably some other head coaches, coordinators, etc. out there I would take over Mickey as well, and what I've seen so far from him hasn't impressed me at all. Hiring MJ would be settling big time.
I like the dude as an assistant. But head coach? Uneducated Neb homers. He will not be the head coach. You are correct.

I don’t agree with a lot of Busch hate on this game. I think the players were in the right spots most of the night but I saw a lot of sloppy play. We could have had Purdue stopped in the backfield or for no gain a lot but there were a ton of missed tackles.

We all knew Purdue Offense was going to get yards and points. Their QB was on the money all night. He was putting on a clinic.

I'm waiting on trev to email me the coaching search progress reports, so I can see the names on the list and compare them with mj...

meanwhile mj would fair well focusing on illinoise, and recruiting/nil...
trev has been slack thus far with the reports, thus I can't make the proper judgement..

608 yards and 38 first downs, and you want to keep Busch?

No, open up the pocketbook and get a proven defensive coordinator. Whatever the guy at Illinois makes, offer him double to come here.
Do you think that the guy from Illinois could have been brought in after the OU game and produced much better results in a couple weeks?

I just have doubts that Mickey can put together a great staff that is going to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Penn St. What kind of coaching network does he have? Do people think he's going to be able to lure proven Power 5 assistants away to come here and work for a rookie head coach?
Great questions. With the last four hires, none of the new HC's hired a "great staff". Riley and Frost brought in their own staffs. Bo and Callahan hired a hodge podge of retreads, newbies, drinking buddies and relatives. As far as a staff is concerned, Mickey would retain any coaches who have proven to him that they can get it done so that's a start at least.

I'm not saying Mickey has to be the guy. But with him, I'm seeing a guy who the kids will believe in. And he will have three things in combination that no one else has-- he's got experience as the head coach at NU, he's coached in the Big 10 and strong recruiting ties to a prime recruiting spot in Louisiana.

Me personally i will wait and see how the season plays out. I dont care who the new coach is he will have a long uphill battle. We need major upgrades on both offense and defense lines and not 4 star kids that need a couple of years to develop, i mean immediate help. The whole back half of the defense needs some help as well. My question is to what happened to that 4 star safety from bama and 5 star db from Ohio state? No matter how much money we can offer, urban Meyer he is not heading to this dumpster fire. My top realistic choice would matt ruhle and then chris kleinman after that it is crap shot on who to hire

Reactions: kidofSN and jteten
We will have a boat load of $$$ for top notch assistants regardless of who we hire as head coach. Frost had the budget to hire top notch assistants, but just hired his drinking buddies. Would Mickey be able to convince top assistants to come here and work for an unproven head coach? Or would he just hire his buddies too?
Mickey has proven that he will get rid of under performers on his staff. The evidence of that is, his first major decision as head coach was to fire Chinander.

Fire Raiola, fire Duval, buy the best replacements money can buy for those guys, make Busch full-time DC
Put Busch back on special teams and safeties and hire the best DC you can find. And then recruit recruit recruit. Our problems last night weren’t just schemes or calls. We’ve got to get better players in spots.

Last edited:
Right now watching the “top candidates” stub their toes week after week, I’m ready to gamble on Mickey. Love the guy
Nebraska certainly could do a lot worse than MJ, as the previous two coaches showed. I won't be crying if he is named HC, but he has to make wholesale changes on the staff and not waste time in doing so.

Nebraska certainly could do a lot worse than MJ, as the previous two coaches showed. I won't be crying if he is named HC, but he has to make wholesale changes on the staff and not waste time in doing so.
Dawson probably should go if for nothing other than recruiting purposes. Raiola I’m not qualified to judge. He didn’t recruit the guys he’s having to try to coach.

our DB coach will likely leave and probably so will Beckton. They’ll be hot commodities back in Florida I’m afraid.

Could you provide a list of realistic list of coaches that aren't a risk.

Urban is not realistic so don't start with him

I don't think MJ wants the job, but maybe it's growing on him. Maybe he is growing into it. Or Maybe he already has his spot secured on the next staff and is trying his best to create a better foundation.

Could you provide a list of realistic list of coaches that aren't a risk.

Urban is not realistic so don't start with him

I don't think MJ wants the job, but maybe it's growing on him. Maybe he is growing into it. Or Maybe he already has his spot secured on the next staff and is trying his best to create a better foundation.
More than anything else Mickey wants NU to win whether he’s the head coach or the water boy. We HAVE to keep him and Busch on our staff.

More than anything else Mickey wants NU to win whether he’s the head coach or the water boy. We HAVE to keep him and Busch on our staff.
I don't think we have to keep them. It would seem a pretty smart move to do so by whoever the new coach is gonna be.

Right now watching the “top candidates” stub their toes week after week, I’m ready to gamble on Mickey. Love the guy
I love him also. I totally see why the players love him. Personally I would love to see what he could do with a big time staff and better talent on O-line and D-line. We just don’t have difference makers in the trenches yet we’ve had chances in games we’ve lost (outside of OU).

I’ve seen many posts say he doesn’t want the HC position. I wonder why people are saying this when I think he is grinding it each week more than SF ever did.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT