ADVERTISEMENT

MJ for head coach!!

ru4nu2win

All-American
May 2, 2006
No defense coordinator, talent definitely exposed ( thanks Duval) short- handed! Kids still played they're asses off! One stop and we possibly win in West Lafayette!! We know he can recruit!! Now I know he can coach! Get a proven DC and a couple coaching changes and we're competing for B1G West championship!! Keep him. Been watching NU football for 50 years, I see something here worth keeping!!

Even a good DC, doesn't have to be a multi million dollar guy. Hit the portal, get a new S&C coach. We'll be really good!

Reactions: BleedRed78
MJ was brutal on time management tonight. First half ended with two timeouts, and ended up having to kick fg instead of a td. Two wasted timeouts in 2nd half cost us at the end. Last week 3 timeouts on offense in final 4 minutes. Needs to learn from these mistakes.

Reactions: Tornadosoul7
No defense coordinator, talent definitely exposed ( thanks Duval) short- handed! Kids still played they're asses off! One stop and we possibly win in West Lafayette!! We know he can recruit!! Now I know he can coach! Get a proven DC and a couple coaching changes and we're competing for B1G West championship!! Keep him. Been watching NU football for 50 years, I see something here worth keeping!!
I liked our fight but:

1) our defense is back to being an embarrassment.
2) we have no real offensive identity or plan aside form throwing deep to Palmer. Granted, he is elite, but what is everyone else on offense doing?

I am curious about what Joseph would do here but also still unconvinced he is up to the job.

I hope our coaching search is having better luck than I think it is.

Keeping Mickey would ensure a boat load of $$$ available for top notch assistants. Also, I'd think our recruiting would explode. He's done an amazing job considering the situation he was thrown into. Interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out.

The Tennessee-Alabama game reminded me of Jeremy Pruitt the head coach at Tennessee prior to Heupel

previously DC at FSU
then Georgia - then Alabama DC and LBs coach prior to UT

currently def analyst with the giants

would be one of my candidates for DC

I liked our fight but:

2) we have no real offensive identity or plan aside form throwing deep to Palmer. Granted, he is elite, but what is everyone else on offense doing?

I am curious about what Joseph would do here but also still unconvinced he is up to the job.
Whipple is well respected in the business! Give us better OL play and a good DC and we'll be competing with anyone.

I liked our fight but:

I hope our coaching search is having better luck than I think it is.
Nick Saban could not win a single game with these players. Exception given for Thompson, Palmer and Grant.

Guys, our Defense was littered with 2nd and 3rd stringers tonight, what were you expecting? We were a stop away from having a chance to win. With the group out there tonight can’t ask for much more. Also, I see everyone taking it to Duval…. Has it occurred to anyone that he was probably shaping the players as Frost instructed him to do? I mean I think we do need to make a change after the season, but I’m not going to throw all the blame on him for our players conditioning.

608 yards and 38 first downs, and you want to keep Busch?

No, open up the pocketbook and get a proven defensive coordinator. Whatever the guy at Illinois makes, offer him double to come here.
This game was so painful to watch. We could seemingly never get their offense off the field.

Keeping Mickey would ensure a boat load of $$$ available for top notch assistants. Also, I'd think our recruiting would explode. He's done an amazing job considering the situation he was thrown into. Interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out.

We will have a boat load of $$$ for top notch assistants regardless of who we hire as head coach. Frost had the budget to hire top notch assistants, but just hired his drinking buddies. Would Mickey be able to convince top assistants to come here and work for an unproven head coach? Or would he just hire his buddies too?

Reactions: moralvictories
608 yards and 38 first downs, and you want to keep Busch?

No, open up the pocketbook and get a proven defensive coordinator. Whatever the guy at Illinois makes, offer him double to come here.
We can't play zone, and we have no LBs. That's a chinander problem. Those crosses and out routes wouldn't have killed so bad if we had any zone. When we tried zone their rush killed us. It's just gonna take time to re-teach the defense, and it won't be in the matter of 4 weeks

Last edited:
The Tennessee-Alabama game reminded me of Jeremy Pruitt the head coach at Tennessee prior to Heupel

previously DC at FSU
then Georgia - then Alabama DC and LBs coach prior to UT

currently def analyst with the giants

would be one of my candidates for DC
Would be an absolute home run

Fickell, Gundy, Peterson, Kiffin, Meyer, Rhule, Aranda, Whittingham, Stoops... shall I go on? I still think MJ is a huge gamble for a program that really can't afford to gamble.

I like all those coaches. Not sure anyone outside maybe Ruhle and Aranda are actually attainable, and they could be long shots. It seems the guys we are most likely looking at are guys like Campbell, Leipold, O’Brien, none of which seem like a sure thing to me.

Fickell, Gundy, Peterson, Kiffin, Meyer, Rhule, Aranda, Whittingham, Stoops... shall I go on? I still think MJ is a huge gamble for a program that really can't afford to gamble.
Fickell - not coming here, turned down ND

Gundy - he’s OkSt’s Harbaugh, not coming here

Peterson - doubt this is the job he ends retirement over

Kiffin - that wouldn’t even be a lateral move …

Rhule - 0 ranked wins, looks like a vegetarian

Aranda - he’s .500 right now

Meyer - yes please. probably not happening tho

Whittingham - you’re not getting a 65 year old Mormon out of Utah for a rebuild

Stoops - he’s not leaving Kentucky to rebuild us

Ruhle does NOT look like a vegetarian.

I like all those coaches. Not sure anyone outside maybe Ruhle and Aranda are actually attainable, and they could be long shots. It seems the guys we are most likely looking at are guys like Campbell, Leipold, O’Brien, none of which seem like a sure thing to me.
I agree. I'm just hoping for an OMG hire until I know it ain't happening. We could do a lot worse than MJ.

The thing with folks that immediately are MJ or Lance or bust is that they are comfortable with being “just fine” and not actually good.

That’s the gravitation towards mediocrity that Peterson was talking about

We will have a boat load of $$$ for top notch assistants regardless of who we hire as head coach. Frost had the budget to hire top notch assistants, but just hired his drinking buddies. Would Mickey be able to convince top assistants to come here and work for an unproven head coach? Or would he just hire his buddies too?
These are fair questions. All I know is every week that passes I'm more and more intrigued with the idea of Mickey at the helm next year.

So you're telling me there's a chance? You're logically right, I'm just not giving up on a big hire. And I'm talking Bob Stoops, not Mark. See? I'm shooting for the moon.

The thing with folks that immediately are MJ or Lance or bust is that they are comfortable with being “just fine” and not actually good.

That’s the gravitation towards mediocrity that Peterson was talking about
And people like you are convinced Joseph or Leipold will only be just fine and not actually good. How is it you’re right and others are wrong?

And people like you are convinced Joseph or Leipold will only be just fine and not actually good. How is it you’re right and others are wrong?
I like MJ's upside because his track record shows he can recruit. I think Leipold is a 7-8 win coach who would fit right into the "let's be average" B1G West.

These are fair questions. All I know is every week that passes I'm more and more intrigued with the idea of Mickey at the helm next year.

I just have doubts that Mickey can put together a great staff that is going to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, USC, UCLA, Penn St. What kind of coaching network does he have? He spent the vast majority of his career coaching at the FCS/D-II/NAIA level. Do people think he's going to be able to lure proven Power 5 assistants away to come here and work for a rookie head coach?

Mickey's a good recruiter, but the head coach is mostly a closer on the recruiting trail. The assistants have to do most of the recruiting work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT