ADVERTISEMENT

MJ could be CFB’s version of 2021 Rich Biaccia

bearcats667

Walk On
Nov 3, 2017
If NU Wins the west The job is Mickeys. And should be big 10 coach of the year. If NU wins 5 of the last 7 games (which can’t be losses to Minnesota and Illinois) than the West is won. Many say he needs to win 8 or 9 total this year - naw. A Big 10 west winner would be equal to a Rich Biaccia Raiders 2021 performance.

Last edited:
If NU Wins the west The job is Mickeys. And should be big 10 coach of the year. If NU wins 5 of the last 7 games (which can’t be losses to Minnesota and Illinois) than the West is won. Many say he needs to win 8 or 9 total this year - naw. A Big 10 west winner would be equal to a Rich Biaccia Raiders 2021 performance.
Um yeah Rich got a pink slip. Stupid Davis.

jesus, Nebraska beats a shitty Indianna team and people are beating the big ten west drum

wtf is wrong with you people
I get what you are saying. I am trying to temper expectations. Its hard though, because we all saw what the defense did. It was so drastically different looking from what we have seen so far. That gives everyone hope. The offense has always been there for the most part. Im reserving judgement until after Friday. If we come out and Rutgers picks up 12 3rd downs and dinks and dunks all over us again, then yeah, we can stop with the B1G west winner stuff. If we can build and continue on what we saw last week, and with how terrible the west is, we can start to feel hopeful that we have a shot.

Reactions: BleedRed78
With the exception of the end of the second quarter, NU played with competence and confidence. Rutgers apparently makes their living running the ball. We will see how the defense handles that. Indiana didn't run the ball much. Rutgers can and will.

jesus, Nebraska beats a shitty Indianna team and people are beating the big ten west drum

wtf is wrong with you people

I don’t think anyone is automatically anointing us division winners. I said thins in another thread when MJ was named interim HC.

IMO MJ is auditioning for the head job long term. I don’t think his coming here was Frost’s decision and I would bet money Albert had a hand in getting him here as a Frost contingency.

If I’m Mickey Joseph I’m looking around and realizing a few thing. 1) let’s be honest. The Big Ten West is bad. It could be the worst P5 division in the country. 2). I have talent on my roster. Over the past 10 year NU has, on paper, out recruited the rest of the Big Ten West and it’s really not up for debate nor is it even that close. 3) I have a QB with a big and accurate arm. I have a at least one receiver and one RB that have the ability to play on Sunday. 4). My OL and DL are the biggest deficiencies which is a big problem but could be reflective of poor culture and coaching over the past 4 years. 5) I have a manageable schedule. With what’s left, outside of Michigan, every game is winnable. I’m 1-1 in the Big Ten. At 7-2 I’m likely headed to Indy, at 6-3 I’m at least in the conversation.
So is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? No. But IF, and that substantial if, they manage to continue to improve, then being in the conversation as possibly winning the west at the end of the season is not that far fetched.

We ain't gonna win the division. But.......getting this team to .500 and a bowl game would be an outstanding accomplishment for Mickey considering the situation he was put in. That may even get him serious consideration for the head man.

IMO Mickey can easily be the guy if 1) he shows his team can separate later in games and close games out(like Saturday) and 2) if Trev sees what he needs to see behind the scenes Sunday-Friday.

Most coaching searches rely on performance on Saturday and interviews, but rarely does an AD actually get to watch how a head coach manages their team day-to-day. Trev has 3 months to watch how MJ runs meetings & practices, recruits, manage his assistants, and coaches on Saturday. If Trev watches all that for the rest of the season and decides MJ is the right man for the job, I’m all N on Mickey.

We have an AD that puts the program above personal relationships and has proven he can make the tough, unpopular decision if it’s best for the program. I was skeptical at first, but now I feel confident we’ll end up with the best available candidate as our next Head Coach

IMO Mickey can easily be the guy if 1) he shows his team can separate later in games and close games out(like Saturday) and 2) if Trev sees what he needs to see behind the scenes Sunday-Friday.

Most coaching searches rely on performance on Saturday and interviews, but rarely does an AD actually get to watch how a head coach manages their team day-to-day. Trev has 3 months to watch how MJ runs meetings & practices, recruits, manage his assistants, and coaches on Saturday. If Trev watches all that for the rest of the season and decides MJ is the right man for the job, I’m all N on Mickey.

We have an AD that puts the program above personal relationships and has proven he can make the tough, unpopular decision if it’s best for the program. I was skeptical at first, but now I feel confident we’ll end up with the best available candidate as our next Head Coach
Good points, but Trev doesn’t really have 3 months to decide. It’s musical chairs and there are more school joining the search every week.

We ain't gonna win the division. But.......getting this team to .500 and a bowl game would be an outstanding accomplishment for Mickey considering the situation he was put in. That may even get him serious consideration for the head man.
This is where I’m going as well.. Getting to a bowl which Nebraska hasn’t since 2016 should be enough to make people feel better about the program considering how big of a dumpster fire we were at the start of the season..

ADVERTISEMENT