ADVERTISEMENT

Mixed Feelings on Joseph

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
Though I am pleased to beat Iowa, the game itself was nauseating. It reminded me of our Minnesota and Wisconsin games: Go ahead early and try to piss it away late. 24-0 is usually a comfortable lead, but I didn’t feel comfortable until the clock hit zeros in the fourth quarter.

The coaching search is out of my hands. Joseph, Rhule…whatever. I just want to get good again.

I deeply appreciate Mickey Joseph as a former player and for what he did to salvage Frost’s mess. I don’t know what he would do as head coach with a longer time frame. If it isn’t him, it would be awesome if he stayed on staff. If he does move on, I wish him nothing but success.

This season sucked, but I am glad the players kept fighting to the end.

Though I am pleased to beat Iowa, the game itself was nauseating. It reminded me of our Minnesota and Wisconsin games: Go ahead early and try to piss it away late. 24-0 is usually a comfortable lead, but I didn’t feel comfortable until the clock hit zeros in the fourth quarter.

The coaching search is out of my hands. Joseph, Rhule…whatever. I just want to get good again.

I deeply appreciate Mickey Joseph as a former player and for what he did to salvage Frost’s mess. I don’t know what he would do as head coach with a longer time frame. If it isn’t him, it would be awesome if he stayed on staff. If he does move on, I wish him nothing but success.

I hope that he will stay on. Would be a great story if he was part of the turnaround. Same with Busch, Becton and Applewhite.

If Mickey got the short end of anything it was the money...if memory serves he got an extra 30K a month?? Should have been more IMO, especially when you factor in what we paid the last guy to never park his car anywhere near the stadium again....but other than that I'm not sure even he thinks he should vault to HC at this point and time. Whatever happens, he can hold his head high and will be forever loved by Husker fans for his time here. I hope he stays, we need him.

I hope that he will stay on. Would be a great story if he was part of the turnaround. Same with Busch, Becton and Applewhite.
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

We could certainly do worse than Travis Fischer and Barrett Ruud as well. We're suddenly two deep with returning talent at inside linebacker.

I wasn’t nervous until we fumbled. The mountain was waaaay too steep for the Iowa offense if we had refused to help them.

Really thought Mickey did a great job this year keeping the team together and working towards a common goal. In game management was not nearly as good. Still it was nice to have a grown up back in charge.

We could certainly do worse than Travis Fischer and Barrett Ruud as well. We're suddenly two deep with returning talent at inside linebacker.
Not too many guys, if any, are going to be kept by a new coach coming in to clean up from a 4 win campaign.

Reactions: JOHNNY N

I don't have mixed feelings about Mickey. I really like him as a recruiter first, a WR coach second and then a capable assistant head coach. Appreciate all he did as a player and his great attitude and personality now. Glad he had a decent tryout chance BUT he's not the answer as a head coach. Hope he stays on in his former capacity but no one individual is bigger or more important than the program itself.

P.S. And Mickey always is honest with his players and I feel we should be the same way with him.

Last edited:
Not too many guys, if any, are going to be kept by a new coach coming in to clean up from a 4 win campaign.
Probably so. I was just commenting on their merits. I'm just saying that Rhule has some good coaches that he can consider if he wants to. And that's a great thing. Callahan, Pelini, Riley and Frost all brought in a couple sub standard coaches to fill out their coaching staffs. Rhule does not have to do that.

What's wrong with this coaches
Would handcuff the new HC. None are his guys.

I’d like to keep Mickey and Busch if we can in some role, but it’s more likely that it is not going to happen.

I don’t get everyone’s infatuation with Beckton. We’ve let a lot of local TE talent go elsewhere and have a very unproven TE room with Vokolek graduating. If I could keep anyone it would be in this order:

Mickey
Busch
Vince Guinta (player personnel)

Applewhite
Fisher

Whipple
Beckton

Dawson
Raiola
Ruud

Reactions: JOHNNY N
Would handcuff the new HC. None are his guys.

I’d like to keep Mickey and Busch if we can in some role, but it’s more likely that it is not going to happen.

I don’t get everyone’s infatuation with Beckton. We’ve let a lot of local TE talent go elsewhere and have a very unproven TE room with Vokolek graduating. If I could keep anyone it would be in this order:

Mickey
Busch
Vince Guinta (player personnel)

Applewhite
Fisher

Whipple
Beckton

Dawson
Raiola
Ruud

Nothing wrong with the coaches. Something seriously wrong with wanting to keep damn near half the staff from a 4 win team with a new head coach when a complete rebuild is needed.

I feel the same. Just couldn't read the gif tone...which is a ridiculous thing to even type out.

I don't have mixed feelings about Mickey. I really like him as a recruiter first, a WR coach second and then a capable assistant head coach. Appreciate all he did as a player and his great attitude and personality now. Glad he had a decent tryout chance BUT he's not the answer as a head coach. Hope he stays on in his former capacity but no one individual is bigger or more important than the program itself.
Mickey himself even admitted that no one is bigger than the program. He will understand that it is for the good of the program when a new head coach is hired to replace Mickey Joseph.

Mickey himself even admitted that no one is bigger than the program. He will understand that it is for the good of the program when a new head coach is hired to replace Mickey Joseph.
As Mickey would say....Mickey gonna be alright.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT