ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Sherman

They actually reminded me a lot of the '95 Huskers last night. The way they took control in the 2nd quarter and dominated a good team, the way their defense was lined up at the line of scrimmage and bouncing in and out of the gaps -- I was having flashbacks. They had some close games this year but won one of them with their 3rd string QB leading a 90 yard TD drive at the end of the game.

They actually reminded me a lot of the '95 Huskers last night. The way they took control in the 2nd quarter and dominated a good team, the way their defense was lined up at the line of scrimmage and bouncing in and out of the gaps -- I was having flashbacks. They had some close games this year but won one of them with their 3rd string QB leading a 90 yard TD drive at the end of the game.

The odd thing is that Clemson didn't physically dominate the game as much as the score suggests. Prior to Clemson's final garbage time drive, Bama had actually outyarded them. They ran the ball pretty easily on Clemson in the first three quarters and got into the red zone repeatedly. Where Clemson dominated was in turnovers and red zone stops. Clemson won all the "hinge points" in the game, but it wasn't really a physical beat down.

They are legit. It comes down to if you think “best of all time” is actually the team that would beat every team ever, or the most dominant team of that year or very recent years.

I’d have a hard time picking out a team in college football, ever, that would have beat Clemson last night.

Nebraska has had some pretty good teams but these guys are faster, stronger, and better coached than those teams were 25 - 30 years ago. This team is 3 td’s better.
No greater validation of the ‘95 Huskers than to see a trolling goober with way too much time on his hands have to admit that they were “pretty good.”

Nebraska has had some pretty good teams but these guys are faster, stronger, and better coached than those teams were 25 - 30 years ago. This team is 3 td’s better.

You get dumber by the moment. But it's not your fault. Being an Iowa football fan, you're not exactly speaking from a knowledge-laden perspective.

Reactions: donahues17
They are legit. It comes down to if you think “best of all time” is actually the team that would beat every team ever, or the most dominant team of that year or very recent years.

I’d have a hard time picking out a team in college football, ever, that would have beat Clemson last night.

All you can really do is look at point differential. We beat the #2 team in the nation 62-24, and took a knee at their 2-yard line instead of scoring again to end the game. A 38-point beatdown (really 45-point) vs a 28-point beatdown. Clemson is no doubt a great team, but they still don't displace us as the best ever.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Then it appears you know very little about 25-30 years ago. By the way, 1995 was 23 years ago, and that is what they were saying about u florida BEFORE the fiesta bowl. Better coached, don't think so.

I didn't see much run game from clemson in the second half. Nebraska's 4th team I-back shredded fu in 95 as did their 3rd team o line and defensive scrubs. Can't compare different teams in different decades, so, don't come over here from some other board and talk your uninformed drivel.

What board are you from, anyway. Don't tell me clemson idiots are coming over here, now. Act like you've been there before, but if you are another imbecile out wandering about, just remember, you haven't been there before, have you.

All you can really do is look at point differential. We beat the #2 team in the nation 62-24, and took a knee at their 2-yard line instead of scoring again to end the game. A 38-point beatdown (really 45-point) vs a 28-point beatdown. Clemson is no doubt a great team, but they still don't displace us as the best ever.
If I remember correctly Florida was actually favored in that Fiesta bowl. One of the best games I've ever attended.:)

If I remember correctly Florida was actually favored in that Fiesta bowl. One of the best games I've ever attended.:)
I was there, too. That was a slaughter, not a football game. The game was over 3 minutes into the second quarter. Monday's wasn't a slaughter and it wasn't over until into the 4th, as I recall. I don't remember clemson having any run game in the second half except one decent run, but I wasn't paying that much attention.

Me too. Actually went to that one and the Orange Bowl the previous year. The Orange Bowl was the more gratifying win of the two to attend to be honest. Certainly much more emotional when we won.

so, how good is your memory?

The odd thing is that Clemson didn't physically dominate the game as much as the score suggests. Prior to Clemson's final garbage time drive, Bama had actually outyarded them. They ran the ball pretty easily on Clemson in the first three quarters and got into the red zone repeatedly. Where Clemson dominated was in turnovers and red zone stops. Clemson won all the "hinge points" in the game, but it wasn't really a physical beat down.

I get this and as a coach I have said this a ton of times to my teams...but in the end it is just talk...Bama got their ass kicked, especially in the second half. Yards are meaningless if it doesn't get you points. Again, I totally get what you are saying and I have told my teams so many similar things...but dressing up an asskicking doesn't do much.

What if Clemson had held Bama to 99 yards of offense but won 14-10? Would that be an asskicking...just because the yardage was low?

Pretty good teams :rolleyes:.Sports Illustrated a year or two put out a coffee top College Football Greatest..Best QB, Best Running back,Best Offensive Line man, Best Coach,Best Bowl Game etc, etc, etc..
The Best Single- season teams Top 10 were #1 1995, Nebraska,#2 1971 Nebraska,#3 1972 USC #4 Miami Fla..

Other publications have also mentioned the 1995 and 1971 Nebraska teams as amongst the best All-time...

Obviously you are too young knowing anything about College Football History...Go away till you learn some history sonny boy...

You can't just use point differential, if you do, you are saying that the loser of those games (Florida and Alabama) are identical and a constant. We know that isn't true. If Nebraska had played a team, like 2018 Alabama, they may not have won by 38.

I get this and as a coach I have said this a ton of times to my teams...but in the end it is just talk...Bama got their ass kicked, especially in the second half. Yards are meaningless if it doesn't get you points. Again, I totally get what you are saying and I have told my teams so many similar things...but dressing up an asskicking doesn't do much.

What if Clemson had held Bama to 99 yards of offense but won 14-10? Would that be an asskicking...just because the yardage was low?
The interesting thing to me is that Bama looked to me like in that first half anyway they could run the ball down their throats but they kept getting away from the run to sling it on 1st and 2nd downs. Inevitably Tua would miss a receiver and then Clemson made them pay. I think Bama's offensive game plan really let them down. I think those 2 teams could play on another day and have a quite different outcome. Clemson clearly appeared to be much better prepared which maybe speaks to the possibility that all the coaching changes have finally come home to roost for Saban.

The interesting thing to me is that Bama looked to me like in that first half anyway they could run the ball down their throats but they kept getting away from the run to sling it on 1st and 2nd downs. Inevitably Tua would miss a receiver and then Clemson made them pay. I think Bama's offensive game plan really let them down. I think those 2 teams could play on another day and have a quite different outcome. Clemson clearly appeared to be much better prepared which maybe speaks to the possibility that all the coaching changes have finally come home to roost for Saban.

Coaches love being the smartest guy in the room and they loving playing with all their toys.

I was super lucky for years to be an asst coach to a guy that did not do that...and he would just keep running and running and running when it was working. It was a thing of beauty!

You are correct, remember fun and gun was going to drill old fashioned slow Nebraska, I also remember Florida was going to win because the field was natural grass instead of turf

I am not sure that it is the coaching changes. Continuity is cool, but Alabama has been going through coaches for 10 years. I think that keeping coaches on staff that have already been hired by another school, like Locksley, is what the problem was this year.

Think back to when Kiffin left, he coached the semi, then Saban sent him to FAU early because he wasn't giving his all to Alabama.

I’m not disregarding Clemson as one of the best teams ever.. But they did have two games they could have lost ,but they were also against 2 of their 4 rated teams they played #15 Syrucuse by 4 and ATM by 2..

They do get some of this recognition by being the first team to be 15-0.

First team to finish 14-0 was Ohio St in 2002
First team to finish 13-0 was Nebraska in 1971
First team to finish 12-0 was USC in 1972
First team to finish 11-0 was TCU in 1938

I am not sure that it is the coaching changes. Continuity is cool, but Alabama has been going through coaches for 10 years. I think that keeping coaches on staff that have already been hired by another school, like Locksley, is what the problem was this year.

Think back to when Kiffin left, he coached the semi, then Saban sent him to FAU early because he wasn't giving his all to Alabama.
Just having Kiffin on the staff was a distraction even if he hadn't taken another job but I get your point.

The interesting thing to me is that Bama looked to me like in that first half anyway they could run the ball down their throats but they kept getting away from the run to sling it on 1st and 2nd downs.

Yeah, my take on the game is that Saban is going to spend all offseason pissed off that he let himself get talked into this offensive style. I expect to see them reemphasizing commitment to the run game.

You can't just use point differential, if you do, you are saying that the loser of those games (Florida and Alabama) are identical and a constant. We know that isn't true. If Nebraska had played a team, like 2018 Alabama, they may not have won by 38.

I'm of the mind that players are more athletic today than they were 23 years ago (simply because S&C is ahead of where it was then), but can we quantify the difference between a 28-point win in the NC game today vs a 38 or 45-point win in the NC game in '96?

I do believe we saw better athletes playing against better athletes on Monday night than we did 23 years ago, but I don't know how you would go about making the comparison in scores. You could make individual athletic comparisons via testing numbers, but then you still have to adjust for the different margin of victory. Suffice it to say that Clemson was damn good on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT