ADVERTISEMENT

Miss St v LSU

Bo Pelini is the most overrated defensive coach in the game. Yesterday is simply more proof. If he made any defensive adjustments in the game it didn’t show and he is being eviscerated by Tiger fans, rightfully so.

you got a good point there, I was going to give credit because this was season one and game one during the COVID-19 pandemic vs a Leach offense with a Top 50 range QB that has an arm on him. But you are correct sir, Bos defenses tend to give up massive yards, even to teams like Wisconsin in the BIG 10 that are run heavy. So it doesn’t matter if it’s passing or rushing.

Last edited:
Bo Pelini is the most overrated defensive coach in the game. Yesterday is simply more proof. If he made any defensive adjustments in the game it didn’t show and he is being eviscerated by Tiger fans, rightfully so.

WOW, the ACT word of the day... Are you sure you want to use this word on a football board? Especially on this board since NU is bringing down the intelligence level of the B1G?

It couldn’t have happened to a better guy. So is bozo the only division one coach t has given up 400 yards rushing to one guy and now given up 600 yards passing to one guy? He’s a member of the thousand yard club

Bo should retire with all the money he got from the Nebraska buy out. But I think what prevents that is that his wife doesn't want him around the house that much of the time. Maybe he could run a cat shelter or something in his retirement to keep him occupied.

Bo should retire with all the money he got from the Nebraska buy out. But I think what prevents that is that his wife doesn't want him around the house that much of the time. Maybe he could run a cat shelter or something in his retirement to keep him occupied.

faux-pelini-3.0.1462687837.jpg

If you were his wife would you?:p

IF not for Frank hiring him, Bo would still probably be a position coach in the NFL. That's probably what he's best suited to do....maybe. LSU has a boat load of new DBs running a new relatively complicated Pelini defensive scheme. It's actually not all that surprising they're having problems. I don't doubt that they'll get better. They're too talented to suck that badly for a whole year....aren't they?

Kind of ironic that LSU has Raymond, Busch and Pelini all on their defensive staff. IMO, they would have been better off promoting Raymond than hiring Bo.

It sounds like Bo played man the entire game. I am guessing that his DB's haven't learned his zone concepts to his satisfaction thus he made no effort to mix coverages. I also believe there is a 'book' on how to defeat a Pelini defense just like any other defense and the pirate knows those weaknesses. The pirate is a good coach. Pelini couldn't adjust though because the players are still too confused with the concepts. I'm thinking the virus thing didn't help practice time to learn the new defense.

Having said all this I still think it's a valid point that Pelini is slow to make/stubborn with making in game adjustments.

Reactions: oldjar07
It sounds like Bo played man the entire game. I am guessing that his DB's haven't learned his zone concepts to his satisfaction thus he made no effort to mix coverages. I also believe there is a 'book' on how to defeat a Pelini defense just like any other defense and the pirate knows those weaknesses. The pirate is a good coach. Pelini couldn't adjust though because the players are still too confused with the concepts. I'm thinking the virus thing didn't help practice time to learn the new defense.

Having said all this I still think it's a valid point that Pelini is slow to make/stubborn with making in game adjustments.
Yeah they should have mixed in some zone, but they weren't running the man defense right either. When you blitz in man coverage, you always want to take away the inside throws. They failed to do that a number of times and even simple crossing routes went for big yards. They also lost track of MSU's stud running back several times which was a mistake.

Remember what Will Compton said on his podcast about Bo in the B1G championship game against Wisconsin? In-game adjustments are not Bo Pelini's forte.

The fact that Bo won 9 games every year and tied or won the division more than half the time as well as Callahan’s and Riley’s time clearly shows that any buffoon should be able to win nine games and/or win the division within their first three years at Neb

you have to go all the way back to 1957 to find a hire at Neb that was more inept

The fact that Bo won 9 games every year and tied or won the division more than half the time as well as Callahan’s and Riley’s time clearly shows that any buffoon should be able to win nine games and/or win the division within their first three years at Neb

you have to go all the way back to 1957 to find a hire at Neb that was more inept
Sick

ADVERTISEMENT