ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota

Fleck vs. Frost. Both coaches took mid-major teams to national prominence then jumped to the Big Ten. Both are struggling mightily.

Fleck - 2-10 B10 record
Frost - 0-3 B10 record

I actually believe that Fleck will be under much more pressure to win this contest. Minnesota fans believed they had hired a coach to bring their program back to national prominence and compete for B10 titles. Even though its only his second season, a loss to winless Nebraska will be a big blow for Gopher fans.

Should be an interesting battle. Both teams feature a true freshman QB. Nebraska has a much more potent offense. Minnesota has a very good defense - their front 7 is formidable and their LB unit is he best in the conference IMO.

I think it will come down to which team can pass the ball more effectively.

Only lost to Ohio St 30-14 this year. I would kill to keep it within 17 points vs OSU. I wonder what new way to lose will we event vs the Gophers.

Minnesota is a very hard team to figure out. They could beat a couple of teams down the road that they shouldn't.

OSU fans though are kind of upset right now. Many of their fans are upset over the way they've been playing. Oh my, they only won by 16 - lynch the coaching staff. Talk about a spoiled fan base. Their defense is somewhat of a mess right now (for them) but if they get Bosa and a few others back something tells me they'll be tough to handle down the road - very tough. Looks like the BIG is going to revert back to the old days when the conference is decided by the Michigan - OSU game

When playing these lower tier opponents it’s all mental. Our current mental state is on the brink of imploding. I think Fleck and Co. waltz into Tom Osborne field and get a W, unfortunately.

As an outsider, I'm having a hard time believing that the Nebraska talent level is this bad. No way ! Something is missing big time but what is anybody's guess. Gonna be interesting to watch what Frost does with his current players and staff in the off season.

Reactions: ssmill777
When playing these lower tier opponents it’s all mental. Our current mental state is on the brink of imploding. I think Fleck and Co. waltz into Tom Osborne field and get a W, unfortunately.
This is a toss-up game IMO. What you will notice right away is that Minnesota is damn good on defense, especially against the run. Martinez will need to bring his "A" passing game.

On offense, the Gophers took a big hit when one of the best RBs in school history, Rodney Smith, was lost for the season due to injury. Ibrihim looked pretty good against OSU but he is no Rodney Smith. The key is to get pressure on QB Annexstad. If he has time to throw, he will do some damage. Pressure him and he gets wild.

Outside the coaching match-up, the story line will be freshman QB vs. freshman QB and to a very large extent which team passes better should win.

If it's close, Nebraska can't afford another 12 minute fourth quarter meltdown like they did against Northwestern. A decent qb looked like Joe Montana in a matter of minutes. :confused:

As an outsider, I'm having a hard time believing that the Nebraska talent level is this bad. No way ! Something is missing big time but what is anybody's guess. Gonna be interesting to watch what Frost does with his current players and staff in the off season.

All we have is the name. Nebraska is known nationally as a football school thanks to Devaney and Tom. As far as talent, we might have 2-3 guys that would make Ohio States second string.

This is a toss-up game IMO. What you will notice right away is that Minnesota is damn good on defense, especially against the run. Martinez will need to bring his "A" passing game.

On offense, the Gophers took a big hit when one of the best RBs in school history, Rodney Smith, was lost for the season due to injury. Ibrihim looked pretty good against OSU but he is no Rodney Smith. The key is to get pressure on QB Annexstad. If he has time to throw, he will do some damage. Pressure him and he gets wild.

Outside the coaching match-up, the story line will be freshman QB vs. freshman QB and to a very large extent which team passes better should win.
If the key to Nebraska winning is getting pressure on Minnesota’s quarterback, it doesn’t look good for Nebraska.

Would’t expect an outsider to understand. After 20 years of mediocre to terrible coaching, our talent level, especially on both lines and defense, is far below average.

Reactions: Baxter48

If the key to Nebraska winning is getting pressure on Minnesota’s quarterback, it doesn’t look good for Nebraska.
Indeed. It would be the first time this season.

Would’t expect an outsider to understand. After 20 years of mediocre to terrible coaching, our talent level, especially on both lines and defense, is far below average.

I ran into an OSU fan yesterday. It’s not every day you run into another B1G fan down here so we started talking immediately. The first thing he said is, “what’s going on with NU? They have the talent...”. He was surprised to hear me say, “No. we actually don’t.” Especially on the D side.

Reactions: ssmill777
We have sufficient talent to compete with and beat Minnesota. And NW. And Purdue. And Troy. And Colorado. Michigan not so much.

There is much more behind 0-6 than our talent.

We have sufficient talent to compete with and beat Minnesota. And NW. And Purdue. And Troy. And Colorado. Michigan not so much.

There is much more behind 0-6 than our talent.

That’s where discipline comes in. Those teams have it. We’re working on it. It’s hard to throw our guys under the bus because many have gone through 4 different position coaches. That’s 4 people telling them to do things differently. It amazes me that they’ve stuck it out. That shows me that they care and bleed red. They’re just behind on development and only have 6 games left to get it right.

That’s where discipline comes in. Those teams have it. We’re working on it. It’s hard to throw our guys under the bus because many have gone through 4 different position coaches. That’s 4 people telling them to do things differently. It amazes me that they’ve stuck it out. That shows me that they care and bleed red. They’re just behind on development and only have 6 games left to get it right.

Not throwing anyone under the bus. Just stating what should be obvious that our record is NOT a product of a lack of talent. Notions that we aren’t good enough to compete with the NWs and Minnesota’s of the BIG are wrong.

Reactions: nu2u
Minnesota is a tough out... They have the receivers to compete and stay with Nebraska and their run defense is much better or it was vrs Iowa! This will still be a tough game for Nebraska...

Reactions: rrthusker
ADVERTISEMENT