ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota visitors guide?

bigmike1903

Jul 23, 2015
Long time lurker, first time poster...

My fam/friends are trying to start a tradition of going to a different away game every year to try and see all of the B10 stadiums(I know... we are a few years late). Due to proximity and recent competitiveness, we have decided on visiting the Gophers this year.

Looking for any suggestions on what to do/where to stay in the Minneapolis metro. Was hoping someone might have access to a visitor's guide similar to the one that I see posted on here for opposing fans visiting Neb.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

I thought it was boring in Minnesota for the game two years ago. Stub and Herbs is a pretty fun bar to hit up.

Great suggestion, however when I attempt to do so I get a
(You have insufficient privileges to post here.) message :(

Always wondered how come Minnesota doesn't have an open football forum on rivals like Nebraska and Iowa have?

We went to Minneapolis 2 years ago. It was ok. But just ok. Plan for the Nebraska events on Friday night. Tailgating was right next to the stadium. You can buy beer as you enter the stadium and take it in with you. (Personally, I don't much care for the idea of booze in the college stadiums; get drunk before or after, but when you're in the stadium focus on the game). Beer was also available on the top level of the stadium. If you like fried cheese curds, you'll find them here. Campus was pretty with Fall foliage, but the architecture was mostly utilitarian. Unlike in Lincoln, no memorable artwork/sculture on the campus grounds that I can recall. Perhaps we just looked in the wrong places. We did not find any on-campus events/pep rallies, etc. to attend. Lincoln's a much more interesting game-day environment, but then again, we're familiar with that. You'll need to plan ahead better than I did to have a good experience.

We went to Minneapolis 2 years ago. It was ok. But just ok. Plan for the Nebraska events on Friday night. Tailgating was right next to the stadium. You can buy beer as you enter the stadium and take it in with you. (Personally, I don't much care for the idea of booze in the college stadiums; get drunk before or after, but when you're in the stadium focus on the game). Beer was also available on the top level of the stadium. If you like fried cheese curds, you'll find them here. Campus was pretty with Fall foliage, but the architecture was mostly utilitarian. Unlike in Lincoln, no memorable artwork/sculture on the campus grounds that I can recall. Perhaps we just looked in the wrong places. We did not find any on-campus events/pep rallies, etc. to attend. Lincoln's a much more interesting game-day environment, but then again, we're familiar with that. You'll need to plan ahead better than I did to have a good experience.
Unfortunately, you must have looked in the wrong places, the Minnesota campus is full of unique architecture. The game day atmosphere is not what it is in Lincoln, but so much more to do in the big city.

Reactions: sparky62
Fair enough, Lincoln gopher---so give Big Mike some constructive suggestions about what to look for and where to go so that he and his family can have a great experience.

Fair enough, Lincoln gopher---so give Big Mike some constructive suggestions about what to look for and where to go so that he and his family can have a great experience.
Well, since I have lived in Lincoln for the past 33 years I am much less qualified as say the people on the Gopherhole, which was suggested earlier in the thread.

Well, since I have lived in Lincoln for the past 33 years I am much less qualified as say the people on the Gopherhole, which was suggested earlier in the thread.
I was pretty sure you would have some insight on this topic when I saw the thread.

I thought it was boring in Minnesota for the game two years ago. Stub and Herbs is a pretty fun bar to hit up.
You probably had to walk a few blocks in the right direction to find the nicer areas of the campus, since the Stadium is on the East edge of the Campus by an old grain elevator complex and railyard, where they are now building large research buildings.

A few blocks to the east is a traditional college "Mall" with a grassy middle and academic buildings on all sides, with a very large 1920's era auditorium anchoring one end, and a giant student center from the WPA era on the south end. That area is worth visiting. Just to the north of there is the "Knoll" that is full of pre 1900 original U of M buildings with views of the river and downtown Minneapolis on the edge of that.

Speaking of the river, the U of M is on both sides of a 100 foot deep river gorge that runs from St. Anthony Falls south the junction with the Minnesota River at Fort Snelling. This gorge leads to some interesting campus areas, including the River Flats, below the Student Union, on of the better, and under appreciated areas to tailgate. The Aliumni Center, next door on the site of the former Memorial Stadium is worth stopping in at as well. There is food and liquor and a reconstructed Arch and wall from the 1923 stadium stood there until 1992.

The key is to hit downtown Minneapolis on Friday, get to the game early and tailgate in the right spot, and possibly hit a few of the spots in Dinkytown or Stadium Village. After the game travel 2 miles back to downtown Minneapolis and hit the lower Nicollet Mall or North Loop. If the Nebraska Band returns again that will help the atmosphere and then I'd hang around to see them before and after the game if they march around outside the stadium. They seemed to leave quickly after the loss two years ago, but I might have missed that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=uni...AUoAWoVChMI6fe56vyQxwIVyxmSCh2segfm&dpr=0.85#

There are better looking campuses in the Big Ten than what the U of M has, but there are several that are not so great and several that have nothing much going on besides the game.

We have a group of 8 going up there this year. We're all really excited to see what Minneapolis has to offer. Our hotel is in the middle of downtown so we should be able to check out the city a lot easier than Chicago last year; the 45 minute subway ride to every destination was a bit exhausting, awesome city though. Husker game on Saturday and then the Chiefs/Vikings on Sunday. Can't wait for the season to start! GBR!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT