ADVERTISEMENT

Milt Tenopir: Riley Much Like Osborne... Will Hold His Own

Sooner_or_Later

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 7, 2001
Doesn't sound like Milt was a BIG fan of the way BP did things in this interview.

Tenopir state that Pelini dictated to everyone what he wanted on the defense and that...

"in the end, he probably dictated to the offensive coordinator because his defense wasn't very good and he didn't want them on the field so he didn't let the offense turn it loose like they did in the bowl game."

He does say he loves "Pelini to death, but that's just the way it goes sometimes".

http://www.cornnation.com/2015/4/22/8466373/milt-tenopir-riley-much-like-osborne-will-hold-his-own

Reactions: Hoosker Du
All I want is Riley to succeed, just like all I wanted was Bo, Callahan and Solich to succeed. Because if the head coach succeeds, then the team and program must be winning.

Bo's enormous ego got in the way of him succeeding. Don't think that will happen in Riley's case.

Much of what he says makes sense including the advantages of the seasoned staff in terms of teaching, but of course the criticism of Solich's seasoned staff is that they lost their fire for recruiting, not that they forgot how to teach. Will this group recruit at an elite level is of course an unknown.

1. Stop comparing Riley to Osborne. Give him a decade, a few conference championships, and a national championship or two and then we can make the comparison.
2. Milt is butt-hurt over the firings...and...errrrr...retirements of old guys in 2002.
3. Pelini was actually better after making adjustments. The problem was the team didn't have a clue at the start of many games.

1. Stop comparing Riley to Osborne. Give him a decade, a few conference championships, and a national championship or two and then we can make the comparison.
2. Milt is butt-hurt over the firings...and...errrrr...retirements of old guys in 2002.
3. Pelini was actually better after making adjustments. The problem was the team didn't have a clue at the start of many games.

Every comparison I've read has specified that his DEMEANOR is like Osborne. Of course his record isn't. But like you said, give him some time and who knows!

Why? You compared Bo to Tom for years by claiming his 9 wins were somehow making him the same.

Why? You compared Bo to Tom for years by claiming his 9 wins were somehow making him the same.
Nope...never said that or anything close to it. I did say he should have been fired two years earlier though.

Do you ever stop lying? You were all over Bo's nuts claiming "he needs time, people wanted Osborne out and he has the same record to start.. blah blah blah". Just like your lie about pretty much everything else including your claim you took an actual stance you wanted him fired 2 years ago. Troll on.

I'd say that Milt has earned the right to compare Tom Osborne to anybody he wants. who are you to say he should stop? or that I should value that what you say has merit. have you ever gone on a weekend long fishing trips with Tom Osborne?

Really disagree with #3. Some of the Huskers worst losses were so frustrating because they looked so good in the first quarter then when the other team made adjustments it was game over. (UCLA, OU Big 12 Championship game, Wisconsin.....)

Reactions: hamneggs53
Those are examples of bad losses after good first quarters. However, my sense was that Bo simply did not have his teams ready to play from the opening bell. I don't know how many times, even this past season, when teams would take the opening possession and drive it right down our throats. Usually we would settle down later...but the team often did not look ready to play.

Reactions: Olyhusker
I love the way he responds to the criticism that the current staff is too old as a "bunch of malarkey" ..... sounds like one old codger defending another group of old codgers

If the team had no clue at the beginning of games, then it's an interesting indictment/admission of Bo's ability to prepare teams for an opponent.

I love the way he responds to the criticism that the current staff is too old as a "bunch of malarkey" ..... sounds like one old codger defending another group of old codgers

Anyone who says Riley is too old needs to show me their work schedule. I'm extremely confident Riley works more than about 99.99 % of folks who follow husker football.

Anyone who says Riley is too old needs to show me their work schedule. I'm extremely confident Riley works more than about 99.99 % of folks who follow husker football.

I have absolutley no issue with the collective age of the coaches and feel extremely fortunate they are at Neb. Just commenting on the "malarkey" comment. Sorry I gave the wrong impression. GBR

TT may troll the board at times, but I do remember him being consistent about saying Bo should've been fired before 2014

I have absolutley no issue with the collective age of the coaches and feel extremely fortunate they are at Neb. Just commenting on the "malarkey" comment. Sorry I gave the wrong impression. GBR

My mistake. I wasn't trying suggest you took issue with his age. My response just 'tied in' with your note so I went ahead and quoted it. :)

If the team had no clue at the beginning of games, then it's an interesting indictment/admission of Bo's ability to prepare teams for an opponent.
Absolutely! I thought Bo was horrible in making sure the team was prepared. I don't think we will see that in Riley.

TT may troll the board at times, but I do remember him being consistent about saying Bo should've been fired before 2014

I don't recall it until audio gate when he went after the current administration, but not Tom Osborne.

Regardless of when it was, doesn't matter. Going forward, Rivals' archives posts so we can track stuff for a long time.

Reactions: huskerj12

Problem was that Pelini, many times, wouldn't make adjustments. Or at least not the correct ones.

"in the end, he probably dictated to the offensive coordinator because his defense wasn't very good and he didn't want them on the field so he didn't let the offense turn it loose like they did in the bowl game."

Funny because our defense sure seemed to be out on the field a lot anyway because of all the 3-and-outs from our offense.

Thanks for posting! Nice to hear he thinks highly of the staff and anytime he speaks good things about the OL...that's icing on the red velvet cake.

Funny because our defense sure seemed to be out on the field a lot anyway because of all the 3-and-outs from our offense.

You've been around here long enough...

IMO, that part had to deal with the first few years. Some of us tried telling the forum Watson was being handcuffed, very few listened until a couple years later. Now, it's in print from Milt so people can come to their own conclusion or once again, denial. I'm sure if someone put this article in front of Shawn, he'd roll his eyes while the Pelini spanks pet their BlO up doll.

The last part isn't intended towards you, just quoted your post as a reference point.

Reactions: HuskerO
You've been around here long enough...

IMO, that part had to deal with the first few years. Some of us tried telling the forum Watson was being handcuffed, very few listened until a couple years later. Now, it's in print from Milt so people can come to their own conclusion or once again, denial. I'm sure if someone put this article in front of Shawn, he'd roll his eyes while the Pelini spanks pet their BlO up doll.

The last part isn't intended towards you, just quoted your post as a reference point.
I thought the handcuffing thing was known, at least in 09. Pelini said as much. Turtle shell offense, let Suh and co. win the game. The next season we are in TMart land and Watson is headed for the Bluegrass State.
Watson's approach worked with a QB who was confident to run it. Ganz basically grew up in the system and did better than a passable job. By the time we got to Zac Lee we were already getting into some type of hybrid approach. I never thought the zone read was in his wheelhouse. And in reality, the QB recruiting fell of after that (or even before that?). Compare where we are today with the Spring before Tmart started. Zac, Cody, with TMart as an unknown.

Of course it was known to anyone with a brain. There was a vocal minority that was adamant the obvious wasn't the obvious though.

Milt is 100 percent correct that Bo dictated the offense to possess the ball more to cover for his crap defenses. Said that for years. Glad he agrees.

ADVERTISEMENT