ADVERTISEMENT

Mills this year

They didn't use him enough last year IMO. He has the ability to turn mediocre blocking into a solid gain more than any other RB they have on the roster.
Disagree. That was Mo' Washington, who could simply outrun people, or even Robinson, who had to play RB out of desperation. Mills definitely got more comfortable and second-nature during the last 3-4 games of the season, but he needs his OL to create creases in order for him to generate power and momentum. That's his game.

Reactions: kakdawg and OzzyLvr
IF we play games, we'll see if a more seasoned OL and the new run game coordinator make a difference this year.

Let’s not forget that the “play caller” needs to actually call the run plays developed by the new run game coordinator in a game.

Hopefully improvement with the offensive line, new run game coordinator, and with the “play caller” will result in more opportunities for wins. Winking

Last edited:
Reactions: kakdawg
Disagree. That was Mo' Washington, who could simply outrun people, or even Robinson, who had to play RB out of desperation. Mills definitely got more comfortable and second-nature during the last 3-4 games of the season, but he needs his OL to create creases in order for him to generate power and momentum. That's his game.
I think Mo Washington really hurt the team last year. To my memory, he had as many negative plays in crucial situations as positive ones. He wasn't worth the trouble.

Reactions: TheBigMick
Mills seemed to struggle a little bit early to find the right holes, but he really started to settle in later. He’ll be a beast this year and if Rhamir can add some lightning to Mills thunder, things will look good.
Scott is gonna get a good look as well as Morrison, but Morrison needs to work on his strength a bit I think. Still has the high school bod.

Mills+Scott could be quite a hammering duo. I hope Johnson solidifies his place cus the kid has wheels.

Reactions: bshirt73
Mills seemed to struggle a little bit early to find the right holes, but he really started to settle in later. He’ll be a beast this year and if Rhamir can add some lightning to Mills thunder, things will look good.
Scott is gonna get a good look as well as Morrison, but Morrison needs to work on his strength a bit I think. Still has the high school bod.

Mills+Scott could be quite a hammering duo. I hope Johnson solidifies his place cus the kid has wheels.
Imo mills was a little soft to start the season, lacked to conditioning. Midway through the season he got his stamina and understood the offense. But it also seemed he was hurt the last several games

Let’s not forget that the “play caller” needs to actually call the run plays developed by the new run game coordinator in a game.

Hopefully improvement with the offensive line, new run game coordinator, and with the “play caller” will result in more opportunities for wins. Winking
You do realize the “play caller” was one of the most run heaven play callers in the B1G last year, right?

You do realize the “play caller” was one of the most run heaven play callers in the B1G last year, right?

Yes but you do realize that there were quite a few times the last couple of years when running plays were not called in short yardage situations that could have also milked the clock later in games...right?

I've been saying it for years. They should only use the plays that work and don't use the ones that don't. It's so obvious.

I feel like something was going on with him in the middle of the year. We barely touched him while we rode Wandale hard for a few games while Mo was being Mo. We could have really used him more then. Wonder if he had an undisclosed injury or was in some kind of doghouse.

I think our backs will succeed because for the first time in a long time we should have an ok line. They return everyone and are starting to build some depth. Couple that with having some big times recruits on that line, things could be looking up. If we can get a few WR's to take the top off of the D, our O is going to look good as teams can't move their safeties 8 yards from the LOS anymore.

I think Mo Washington really hurt the team last year. To my memory, he had as many negative plays in crucial situations as positive ones. He wasn't worth the trouble.
In the end, sure, both parties needed to part ways. But the point I was making was that Washington...and then Robinson...were the only RBs Nebraska had last year that could generate chunk plays even with mediocre blocking. Even on just 50 carries, Washington had a couple of long-gainers that Mills wouldn't have been able to generate. That was my point

Reactions: Dean Pope
On outside runs Washington could do that...before he got hurt. Inside he didn't have much success running through contact.

Same way for Wan'dale, he is courageous running inside but his size means he isn't a guy who is going to run through DL and LBs if they can get a shot at him. I was afraid Wan'dale was going to get hurt badly, there were times some DT would grab him up and just body slam him.

Mills can get tough yards on inside runs that aren't blocked super pretty, and that's VITAL to the run game.

Huge problem for NU last year, you could pretty well predict what they couldn't do based on which back was in the game. Mo or Wan'dale? They won't hurt you inside. Mills? They won't hurt you outside.

In theory you could remedy a bunch of that with QB run game and quick throws to the outside. The injuries and QB and WR took away the ability to execute those plays well.

Mills can still get 2-3 yards when you know it's coming by churning even when he's wrapped up. Give him those opportunities at Purdue and NU wins and goes to a bowl game. Instead they dicked around calling elaborate stuff inside the 5 yard line and blew multiple red zone chances.

Scott was too in love with creating deception and conflict for defenders last year, and he'd have done well sometimes to just say, "Yep, we're coming at you and we'll get into the end zone 2 yards at a time because we have 4 tries and you gave it to us on the 3."

Reactions: HominidHusker
Man just re watched last years wisconsin game and i hope we can get THAT mills all year this year..we will be in great shape!!

I have high hopes for the D Mills this year behind a much more experienced and deeper Oline with better talent. If Benhart picks it up fast and Farniok holds down the right guard position, we should be in for a solid rushing year. GBR

nah, it was the play calling.. they sent Washington up the middle, and sent Mills to the outside... didn't make sense all year

I

Not sure if you have seen the pic of Morrrison recently but that "high school bod" is gone. That dude looks pretty solid. Fwiw it was a Twitter pic with Nash the polar bear at some lake. He looked like a legitimate 200+ pound D1 RB.

Holla

I

Not sure if you have seen the pic of Morrrison recently but that "high school bod" is gone. That dude looks pretty solid. Fwiw it was a Twitter pic with Nash the polar bear at some lake. He looked like a legitimate 200+ pound D1 RB.

Holla

Funny cus I saw it and didn’t believe it was him at first- thought it was Mills. Once I realized it really seemed to be him it seems the maturation is well on its way. A good sign.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT