ADVERTISEMENT

Miles Jones

He's a walk-on now, we would take that deal.
I wonder if his transfer was truly about playing time or like what he said in his message about being close to home. And I wonder if he is ok with walking on. Seem like a lot of walk on guys enter portal for scholarships and scholarship guys become walk ons as is case with Greg bell I believe as well.

That is why I don't believe all 4* players are created equal. What do you do with a very dynamic kid who is 5'9" and allusive but small?

That's tough to go from a 4-star recruit to a walk-on in 2 years. Especially when he could have had a full-ride scholarship to one of the top academic schools in the country (Vanderbilt).
I know the portal has caused this transferring frenzy the last year or so. Its like this shiny new toy that every 2nd string kid wants to play with. Thinking it is the portal to automatic 1st string and stardom. I do think things will level out once kids start seeing things like this where kids give a scholarship and are stuck walking on. Plus the 500+ kids still sitting in there with no home.

In my opinion, looking at the type of offers a kid has should be the strongest indicator. This kid was down to Vandy and us, that should have said something. Now I get it, there are many that fly under the radar and develop later in their career, but if we want to get back to playing for conference championships and playoff births, we need to be winning the recruiting wars against the big boys. Stars do matter.

That is why I don't believe all 4* players are created equal. What do you do with a very dynamic kid who is 5'9" and allusive but small?
And size wasn't his issue as far as getting on the field. It was his ability to execute the playbook consistently from what I've read.

Reactions: TheBeav815
In my opinion, looking at the type of offers a kid has should be the strongest indicator. This kid was down to Vandy and us, that should have said something. Now I get it, there are many that fly under the radar and develop later in their career, but if we want to get back to playing for conference championships and playoff births, we need to be winning the recruiting wars against the big boys. Stars do matter.
Vandy does get some very good players. The bottom line was that we were desperate for speed and WRs. IMO, we're getting more selective now BUT you never know for sure what kid is going to pan out and which one doesn't for whatever reason.

Reactions: bigRed-no-BiilyC
Miles would've had more interest if it wasn't for his injury history

And size wasn't his issue as far as getting on the field. It was his ability to execute the playbook consistently from what I've read.

Possibly, I have no idea. But you are missing the bigger point. He was rated high but didn't seem to produce and now he isn't even on scholarship. There are not apparent personal problems so one has to explain how a highly rated player goes from being one hailed as filling needs as a slot WR and Duck R to now walking on.

I can't believe the playbook was too complex for him but I have no way of knowing. Learning plays is a matter of repetition, not intelligence.

He had offers from Georgia, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Mississippi State, as well as others.

In all reality, what makes us so different from Vandy the last few years.....?

Good point, on the field that is. Off the field we need to start acting like the big boys again. Frost is doing a nice job considering having back-to-back losing seasons.
I'll say this about the head man and some other former players. Even though the performance on the field isn't what we want right now, they all still talk a big game and talk like it's the 90s still about where this program should be. I respect the hell out of that. Confidence breeds confidence. Can't be a pvssy and expect to play with the big boys.

Reactions: CatColumbia
There was playing time behind Wandale this past fall and Miles couldn't or didn't do the things necessary to get those reps. Not all guys that have good recruiting ratings work out.

Reactions: bigRed-no-BiilyC
In all reality, what makes us so different from Vandy the last few years.....?

record wise you’re right. But everything else outside that...there is a huge difference and coaches, players and every football expert out there would say the same. But you’re dead on when your looking only at win/loses the past few years.

I can't believe the playbook was too complex for him but I have no way of knowing. Learning plays is a matter of repetition, not intelligence.

I would agree with you in regard to certain positions such as nose tackle. I believe positions like slot or duck R are far more complex as far as alignments and shifts. Also making quick decisions on route adjustments reading coverage's. Some players have confidence from the start and remain cool. Some are unsure and mistake prone and the process takes longer. Coaches can't be expected to take risks with players that could lose them a game just to "have everybody in the room happy". Life doesn't work that way when there is such a demand for success.

record wise you’re right. But everything else outside that...there is a huge difference and coaches, players and every football expert out there would say the same. But you’re dead on when your looking only at win/loses the past few years.
I agree with you. I was just making a point in the fact that we as a fan base still look down upon teams that aren't historically anything special when we haven't made a bowl game in 3 years.....lol

ADVERTISEMENT