ADVERTISEMENT

Miko Massner

Nate Clouse, what is your take on this? Not a name player from a power 5 conference, but if he is not diminutive at 6’ 1” and 185+ now, and likely with good - to - decent speed and requisite quickness, and vision to see the running lanes open to him, perhaps even catch a pass or two, he could be a good addition to NU without injuries and other baggage that could be issues with other transfers. If Mike Maessner can run a 4.5 40 yards and have matured up to 195-200 since summer 2019 in his profile, could be a good deal. Particularly if NU was near offering him a year ago. Hey man, we need you this spring. Come on down! Probably comes down to whether he is offered a scholarship or not. Coming from the Ivy League, can this fellow get an academic scholarship at NU and not count against football scholarship numbers?

Nate Clouse, what is your take on this? Not a name player from a power 5 conference, but if he is not diminutive at 6’ 1” and 185+ now, and likely with good - to - decent speed and requisite quickness, and vision to see the running lanes open to him, perhaps even catch a pass or two, he could be a good addition to NU without injuries and other baggage that could be issues with other transfers. If Mike Maessner can run a 4.5 40 yards and have matured up to 195-200 since summer 2019 in his profile, could be a good deal. Particularly if NU was near offering him a year ago. Hey man, we need you this spring. Come on down! Probably comes down to whether he is offered a scholarship or not. Coming from the Ivy League, can this fellow get an academic scholarship at NU and not count against football scholarship numbers?
Can’t really do the academic scholarship thing. Once he plays in a game it becomes a football scholarship. That keeps teams from putting football players on band scholarships, etc.

Had a friends kid who went to Princeton a few years back. Said the school was full of lazy, pasty rich kids who laid around most of the day. None of them cared about sports, the midwest, etc. Would not necessarily be a good fit for most midwesterners. Lots of book smart kids who couldn't find their own car in the parking lot if they tried.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Had a friends kid who went to Princeton a few years back. Said the school was full of lazy, pasty rich kids who laid around most of the day. None of them cared about sports, the midwest, etc. Would not necessarily be a good fit for most midwesterners. Lots of book smart kids who couldn't find their own car in the parking lot if they tried.

I think at a lot of the Ivy leagues, Harvard, Yale and Princeton especially, you get a certain mix of the students.

You get the crazy hard working kids, Obviously,

But you also have the kids that went to Choate Academy, where their parents paid 60K a year for high school. These kids are already set for life and they know it, at this point it is about making (more) connections, marrying the right person from the right family, networking with people and so on.

I (well not me) sent a former student to MIT...dude now works for a MLB team, you know why? It isn't because he was crazy smart...but guess what, his roommate, who he did not meet until getting to MIT, is the son of a part owner of an MLB team.

I think at a lot of the Ivy leagues, Harvard, Yale and Princeton especially, you get a certain mix of the students.

You get the crazy hard working kids, Obviously,

But you also have the kids that went to Choate Academy, where their parents paid 60K a year for high school. These kids are already set for life and they know it, at this point it is about making (more) connections, marrying the right person from the right family, networking with people and so on.

I (well not me) sent a former student to MIT...dude now works for a MLB team, you know why? It isn't because he was crazy smart...but guess what, his roommate, who he did not meet until getting to MIT, is the son of a part owner of an MLB team.

Yep, I went to Columbia (hence my name) University and it’s all about the connections. If you can get into an Ivy you’ll be in a network that will always have the doors opened to you. The hardest part is getting in. The caveat to that is do you want to live in NY, LA, Chicago or San Francisco where all the big corporations are based at? As an FYI for those that don’t know, the Ivy League does not offer athletic scholarships so all athletes are on academic scholarships.

Yep, I went to Columbia (hence my name) University and it’s all about the connections. If you can get into an Ivy you’ll be in a network that will always have the doors opened to you. The hardest part is getting in. The caveat to that is do you want to live in NY, LA, Chicago or San Francisco where all the big corporations are based at? As an FYI for those that don’t know, the Ivy League does not offer athletic scholarships so all athletes are on academic scholarships.

Exactly, when you graduate an Ivy, especially like the top 2 of them, you are not looking for a job...the job is looking for you.

Again, this is not taking anything away from any kid that gets into those schools. But Harvard has the worlds largest endowment (I think), those schools look after their own and the graduates look after their own.

Like you said, getting in is the hard part. They are so selective for a reason.

Didn't JFK pretty much get kicked out of Harvard until Dad stepped in???

Reactions: CatColumbia

Nate Clouse.....he's on here, card? Got it Lol

Can’t really do the academic scholarship thing. Once he plays in a game it becomes a football scholarship. That keeps teams from putting football players on band scholarships, etc.
Not true. NCAA rules allow a kid to play and be on an academic grant IF he meets the same criteria that other kids on academic grants had to meet. Edit: the rule was once as you describe. But it led to a number of inequitable situations (such as walk-ons with Regents Scholarships having to choose between their aid and their sport) and it was changed some years ago.

Last edited:
As an Ivy AD once told me, "our aid is based on need. However, if the football team needs a quarterback ..." Then he just smiled.

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT