ADVERTISEMENT

Mikey Pauley ranked higher than Richard Torres

Yes, I see he’s a 5.9 4*, 98 overall and 7th best QB in the class. In no way can a recruit that high be underwhelming at all, and in every single case that 5.9 4* will be better than every 3 * in the class. Because rivals told me so

Reactions: huntered
Yes, I see he’s a 5.9 4*, 98 overall and 7th best QB in the class. In no way can a recruit that high be underwhelming at all, and in every single case that 5.9 4* will be better than every 3 * in the class. Because rivals told me so
He is ranked a 5.6 three star on Rivals but your point stands. Throwing at Iowa this weekend.

I'm making a joke how Adrian Martinez was a high profile recruit and plenty of people are not satisfied with him. Trying to help our fan base relax when it comes to 3* QB recruits.
Outside of a couple of comments, most of my criticism is about the coaching and not the player. Adrian Martinez was a better player as a freshman than he was in 2019 and 2020. He continues to be injured because he carries the ball 14 times a game.

I know, it is weird how fans seem to prefer super talented players over less talented players.
I agree, but for the last 7(maybe longer lol) years I've been watching our 4*'s get their asses kicked by the rest of the B1G West. 4*'s are really cool man, I'm just not going to freak out when we land a 3* QB in June after a world pandemic where player evaluations were at an all time low.

And you're essentially proving my point haha. As long as there is 4*'s next to the guys name, you're happy.

I agree, but for the last 7(maybe longer lol) years I've been watching our 4*'s get their asses kicked by the rest of the B1G West. 4*'s are really cool man, I'm just not going to freak out when we land a 3* QB in June after a world pandemic where player evaluations were at an all time low.

And you're essentially proving my point haha. As long as there is 4*'s next to the guys name, you're happy.
Weird. That almost sounds like a coaching issue and not a player issue.

Sure! You can have the 3 stars, I'll take the 4 stars. We will see how it pans out. In other words, I will take Oklahoma's recruiting class, you can have Nebraska's. We will see who wins.

Sure! You can have the 3 stars, I'll take the 4 stars. We will see how it pans out. In other words, I will take Oklahoma's recruiting class, you can have Nebraska's. We will see who wins.
How would Nebraska's staff look with Oklahoma's recruits?

NU's conference Rivals team rank since it joined the league averages at 3.7, and has been at the top of what is now the West Division all but one year. The level of play was comparable to the level of rated talent during Pelini, fell under Riley and has yet to recover. Until that situation changes, either under this staff or a new one, it will be hard to get more blue-chips to do anything more than give a kick of the tires.
There has been roster leakage for sure, but in the last year leakage from other programs has been in NU's favor. I'll trade Thompkins for Stepp and Wandale for Toure. Kolarevic and Johnson are nice additions.

You don't even have to go that far.

How would Adrian Martinez have looked the last two years with Jordan Westerkamp, Brandon Reilly, Alonzo Moore, Cethan Carter, Stan Morgan, Demornay Pierson-El, and even a marginal running back like Terrell Newby?
I think Frost would have really liked to have had DPE on his roster. Throw Imani Cross in there as the big back option and that's a really nice set of skill players. Edit - Basically this is the skill talent that Riley had available his first year. I think Frost wins more than 4 games in 2015 with this group having TA behind center.

Reactions: 1954
Are you suggesting DPE would be a better return man than the likes of Brody Belt?
It's possible that DPE would have been a better option for Frost than Wandale. Really the last legit return guy NU has had.

How would Nebraska's staff look with Oklahoma's recruits?
Irrelevant, Nebraska's staff doesn't even try to recruit those players. Until they do, we get to spend more time reading about how there were some 3 star and below players that did great things, and Wisconsin wins with 3 star players. All the while, we lose games because we can't beat teams with inferior talent than even we have.

I watched the NU vs Miami game, 95 orange bowl and then I watched the NU vs Tennessee bowl game after the 99 season when Crouch was QB, 2000 fiesta bowl. The intensity of play jumps off the screen at you.

Watching those games makes it look like our current players are moving in slow motion and tackling with Friday practice intensity.

It takes dudes with the talent to do it and an environment where nothing less than their max effort will suffice. Nebraska has had neither lately.

The question isn't whether 5* and 4* players are better on average than 3* and walk-ons. We have the data to prove they are. The question is why NU can't get 5* and 4* players when so many of their peers in terms of budget, fan following, and staff salary can.

NU's conference Rivals team rank since it joined the league averages at 3.7, and has been at the top of what is now the West Division all but one year. The level of play was comparable to the level of rated talent during Pelini, fell under Riley and has yet to recover. Until that situation changes, either under this staff or a new one, it will be hard to get more blue-chips to do anything more than give a kick of the tires.
There has been roster leakage for sure, but in the last year leakage from other programs has been in NU's favor. I'll trade Thompkins for Stepp and Wandale for Toure. Kolarevic and Johnson are nice additions.
I would disagree on the Wandale for Toure. I would much rather have Wandale for 3 years than Toure for 1. It isn't totally on Wandale that he was thrust into playing 4 different positions. Manning not playing for any number of reasons, Betts not playing much for whatever reason, no depth at RB behind an injured Mills. If you add Wandale to what is expected to contribute this year, I believe you would see it differently,

Seems like we're beating out similar competition whether we are signing a 4* or 3* kid. And I am talking about committable offers not offer lists.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Seems like we're beating out similar competition whether we are signing a 4* or 3* kid. And I am talking about committable offers not offer lists.
Maybe, it could be a situation, where some of the players we won out on, had an offer from a top team but they were 2nd or 3rd on the list. I think that is nitpicking a little.

Regardless, until there is a list of committable and uncommittable offers, or a list of offers that are verified by the school ( I know rules) and not self reported from the player, it is all speculation anyway.

Whenever someone opines that staff doesn't seem to recruit well, the counter argument is always, look at the rankings, we have top 20 classes. Ironically, those classes are ranked high because of the same 4 stars that you are insinuating don't have committable offer to other schools. Hard to have it both ways.

3*s playing as a team will beat 4*s going thru the motions any day of the week. half assed effort and mental daydreaming will cost a coach his job

I would disagree on the Wandale for Toure. I would much rather have Wandale for 3 years than Toure for 1. It isn't totally on Wandale that he was thrust into playing 4 different positions. Manning not playing for any number of reasons, Betts not playing much for whatever reason, no depth at RB behind an injured Mills. If you add Wandale to what is expected to contribute this year, I believe you would see it differently,
Certainly Wandale probably would have been more effective with better skill players in the mix. On the other hand, that kid took some shots from defenders, and generally went down like a bowling pin on contact. For Frost, it's possible that the 2 years after this one don't mean much if this year doesn't pan out better than the last three.

Certainly Wandale probably would have been more effective with better skill players in the mix. On the other hand, that kid took some shots from defenders, and generally went down like a bowling pin on contact. For Frost, it's possible that the 2 years after this one don't mean much if this year doesn't pan out better than the last three.
Frost isn't going anywhere, so that is a moot point. However, Toure over Wandale isn't the thing that will make or break this team. So I will still take 3 years of Wandale over 1 year of Toure.

Wandale Robinson was not intended to be an everydown running back running between the tackles, nor is the offense designed for him to catch balls in traffic. It is easy to discuss his shortcomings now that he is gone, but without him last year, Nebraska doesn't even win the 3 games we did. He accounted for 25% of the total scrimmage yards and nearly 1/3 of the receiving yards.

This is like the old, we didn't want him anyway, when the player decides to not play for Nebraska.

Outside of a couple of comments, most of my criticism is about the coaching and not the player. Adrian Martinez was a better player as a freshman than he was in 2019 and 2020. He continues to be injured because he carries the ball 14 times a game.
And because he didn't have the weapons to hand off to or throw to prevent the need for him to run it 14 times/game. I am curious though. How many times per game did the combination of Berringer and Frazier carry the ball/game? How about Frost? Was that a coaching issue too?

And because he didn't have the weapons to hand off to or throw to prevent the need for him to run it 14 times/game. I am curious though. How many times per game did the combination of Berringer and Frazier carry the ball/game? How about Frost? Was that a coaching issue too?
More BS excuses. Why didn’t he have the weapons he needed? Could have to do with the plethora of four-star wide receivers that didn’t make it to campus or left soon after arriving? Could it be the JUCO wide receiver that couldn’t get on the field. Why aren’t there more running backs ready to go?

Why Don’t we live in the 90s a little bit longer there Dingle. The quarterbacks Osborne had came in knowing they were going to run the ball and take lots of hits. At no point in watching a frost offense does a high school QB think they are going to be running the ball more Than the RB. Martinez missed his entire senior year of high school because of an injury, has now missed part of three seasons because of injury, at what point does someone look and see this dude can’t take the pounding to run the ball 14 times each game

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
We see it with every staff change. The apologists are working overtime. They can’t admit that something is wrong, it has been since the get go, and it is getting worse.
The same idiots will tell you how we are close to being a factor on the national stage, but we just have a tough schedule…in the B1G West.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
We see it with every staff change. The apologists are working overtime. They can’t admit that something is wrong, it has been since the get go, and it is getting worse.
The same idiots will tell you how we are close to being a factor on the national stage, but we just have a tough schedule…in the B1G West.
Not sure there are many folks saying we are close to being a factor on the national stage. There are a ton of people that will say we have a tough schedule and make excuses for not winning 6 games. So I will agree with half of your post.

I personally believe we could be close to, if not at the point of, competing for the Big 10 West title, if not this year, then next. I don't think that puts as a factor on the national stage, but we could be one of a select teams playing on that championship weekend.

3*s playing as a team will beat 4*s going thru the motions any day of the week. half assed effort and mental daydreaming will cost a coach his job
Now that is a revelation. So, one has to assume the opposite is equally true - a 4* playing as a team wipes the ground of a 3* going through the motions. One could play this any number of ways to meet his/her own standards. How about a well coached 3* team could beat a poorly coached 4* team? Now we are getting somewhere.

More BS excuses. Why didn’t he have the weapons he needed? Could have to do with the plethora of four-star wide receivers that didn’t make it to campus or left soon after arriving? Could it be the JUCO wide receiver that couldn’t get on the field. Why aren’t there more running backs ready to go?

Why Don’t we live in the 90s a little bit longer there Dingle. The quarterbacks Osborne had came in knowing they were going to run the ball and take lots of hits. At no point in watching a frost offense does a high school QB think they are going to be running the ball more Than the RB. Martinez missed his entire senior year of high school because of an injury, has now missed part of three seasons because of injury, at what point does someone look and see this dude can’t take the pounding to run the ball 14 times each game
You've gone off the deep end. The first clue was suggesting that Nebraska doesn't even try to recruit the top ranked recruits that OU gets. You can't actually believe that do you? How did they land Fidone if they aren't going after those top guys that teams like OU and Bama are also recruiting.

It isn't living in the 90s to understand that for whatever reason Martinez didn't have Stan or Devine to get the ball to last year. That first class was a very late start recruiting wise and they had to reach to try to find some guys with speed. You bitch about Martinez carrying the ball so much but it was pretty clear that our QBs were our best offensive weapons not named Wandale....last year. I don't think that will be the case this year but there is no doubt that Martinez's best skill is his size and ability to run the ball. That's no different than Frazier. You use what you have.

I get it. You want to see Ws and until that happens you're going to blame everything on coaching but damn man sh## happens. Call it excuse making if you want but there are some circumstances that happen including injuries that are somewhat out of the control of the coaching staff.

You've gone off the deep end. The first clue was suggesting that Nebraska doesn't even try to recruit the top ranked recruits that OU gets. You can't actually believe that do you? How did they land Fidone if they aren't going after those top guys that teams like OU and Bama are also recruiting.

It isn't living in the 90s to understand that for whatever reason Martinez didn't have Stan or Devine to get the ball to last year. That first class was a very late start recruiting wise and they had to reach to try to find some guys with speed. You bitch about Martinez carrying the ball so much but it was pretty clear that our QBs were our best offensive weapons not named Wandale....last year. I don't think that will be the case this year but there is no doubt that Martinez's best skill is his size and ability to run the ball. That's no different than Frazier. You use what you have.

I get it. You want to see Ws and until that happens you're going to blame everything on coaching but damn man sh## happens. Call it excuse making if you want but there are some circumstances that happen including injuries that are somewhat out of the control of the coaching staff.
So Fidone is what you come up with? Really? He is from the neighboring state.
Throwing an offer at someone isn’t the same as recruiting them. I’m sure Kansas offers top 200 players too, but they don’t actively recruit them.

Here is my problem with the apparent, apparent to me anyway, recruiting philosophy. It is based on the same principals Pelini, Solich and to a degree Osborne believed in. That is this, Nebraska is hard to recruit to, so we have to concentrate on the 500 mile radius and under recruited guys in states like Texas, Florida and recently Georgia. The 2 outsiders that were hired didn’t believe in that mentality. Look at the players that Riley had visit this campus for Friday night lights. No he didn’t sign them, tough to say who would have signed had it not been apparent that he was going to be fired. Callahan had a top class and actually brought in top talent. Both of those staffs knew how to communicate with young people and sell the university. Perhaps they could have done a better job with some of the local players but it isn’t like Frost is pulling them all in either.

living in the 90’s is you bringing up Frazier and Berringer. Frost’s offense is not a QB run offense. And with all due respect, Martinez is no where near what Frazier was in the running game. If Martinez best skill is running the ball, then move him to RB he is in the wrong position. That was a silly comment.

Injuries happen to every team. COVID happened to everyone. No teams had full spring and summer workouts. Those things are all excuses to deflect from deficient coaching.

Frazier ran the ball 342 times in 4 years and 35 games or 9.7 times per game
Berringer ran the ball 105 times in 4 years and 36 games. about 2.9 times per game.
Adrian Martinez has ran the ball 375 times in 3 years, 27 games or 13.88 times per game or about 1 carry more per game than Frazier and Berringer combined.

Since you asked

How do you know which offers are committable?
It's speculation of course. As you know, we've heard stories of guys getting uncommittable offers in SEC country for political reasons as a favor to boost a kids profile and gain favor at that school. Or a guy is given an offer but he's the fallback plan. Sometimes it's uncommittable because of significant character or academic issues or a major injury. Lots of things.

Did CJ Smith and Caleb Tanner really pick NU over Alabama, Florida and LSU? Did NU beat Ohio State, USC and Georgia for Maurice Washington's services? No we did not. Yet, those schools on their offer sheet got them to 4* status.

Maybe, it could be a situation, where some of the players we won out on, had an offer from a top team but they were 2nd or 3rd on the list. I think that is nitpicking a little.
Whenever someone opines that staff doesn't seem to recruit well, the counter argument is always, look at the rankings, we have top 20 classes. Ironically, those classes are ranked high because of the same 4 stars that you are insinuating don't have committable offer to other schools. Hard to have it both ways.
Personally, I don't think this staff has recruited well overall. Thirteen 4* from the 2018-2020 have already transferred. And we can go round and round about that, but the bottom line is production on fall Saturdays. And yes, I'm as guilty as anyone on this board when it came to celebrating some of those commitments because the ranking looked good on paper or that this staff has to take some chances on kids to raise the talent level. But it's clear now that I didn't realize how many kids, usually available late in the recruiting cycle, this staff was actually gambling on. There's usually a reason that those kids are still available.

Frazier ran the ball 342 times in 4 years and 35 games or 9.7 times per game
Berringer ran the ball 105 times in 4 years and 36 games. about 2.9 times per game.
Adrian Martinez has ran the ball 375 times in 3 years, 27 games or 13.88 times per game or about 1 carry more per game than Frazier and Berringer combined.

Since you asked
I have no dog in this fight, but I would think that comparing the offensive lines with these QB’s is the reason why the stats are what they are…

2AM had a horrible offensive like in 2019 and 2018 was barely better.. Half the time he has to run because of the break downs in the line not to mention he was thinking way too much trying to find a receiver….

Let it be known Frazier and Berringer were never sacked during their careers at Nebraska, think about that for a second or two…

So Fidone is what you come up with? Really? He is from the neighboring state.
Throwing an offer at someone isn’t the same as recruiting them. I’m sure Kansas offers top 200 players too, but they don’t actively recruit them.

Here is my problem with the apparent, apparent to me anyway, recruiting philosophy. It is based on the same principals Pelini, Solich and to a degree Osborne believed in. That is this, Nebraska is hard to recruit to, so we have to concentrate on the 500 mile radius and under recruited guys in states like Texas, Florida and recently Georgia. The 2 outsiders that were hired didn’t believe in that mentality. Look at the players that Riley had visit this campus for Friday night lights. No he didn’t sign them, tough to say who would have signed had it not been apparent that he was going to be fired. Callahan had a top class and actually brought in top talent. Both of those staffs knew how to communicate with young people and sell the university. Perhaps they could have done a better job with some of the local players but it isn’t like Frost is pulling them all in either.

living in the 90’s is you bringing up Frazier and Berringer. Frost’s offense is not a QB run offense. And with all due respect, Martinez is no where near what Frazier was in the running game. If Martinez best skill is running the ball, then move him to RB he is in the wrong position. That was a silly comment.

Injuries happen to every team. COVID happened to everyone. No teams had full spring and summer workouts. Those things are all excuses to deflect from deficient coaching.
Corcoran was Top 5 at his position. Benhart was Top 20 at his position? Teddy P is a Top 10?
The OL has multiple players that are similar to what Bama, Clemson and OHio State get.
The rest of the team has a handful of guys that could have played at most programs.
You can argue NEB doesn't get a roster full of Clemson/Bama type players but you can't argue they dont get a few of those players and the rest of the roster is still better than the rest of the division.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Corcoran was Top 5 at his position. Benhart was Top 20 at his position? Teddy P is a Top 10?
The OL has multiple players that are similar to what Bama, Clemson and OHio State get.
The rest of the team has a handful of guys that could have played at most programs.
You can argue NEB doesn't get a roster full of Clemson/Bama type players but you can't argue they dont get a few of those players and the rest of the roster is still better than the rest of the division.
All of those players you listed live within a drive of Lincoln, those are the 500 mile radius guys that Nebraska has to get. Those aren't the players that Alabama, Clemson et al are going after. When Nebraska goes into Baton Rouge and pulls out the top RB in that Louisiana, like Alabama did or when they go to Texas and get the top QB in the nation to decommit and join their class, come talk to me.

The point is and always will be that Nebraska handicaps themselves when it comes to recruiting. They choose to put all of their energy into guys that they are pretty sure will say yes, rather than going after and competing for nationally ranked players across the board. Not just those that live within a drive of Lincoln. I am not sure why that is, as I wrote, Callahan and Riley were able to sell the school enough to get some of those kids to campus. Unofficial visits aren't cheap, so it isn't just a matter of eh, its just a flight to Lincoln, no problem. It just appears to me that the many of the coaches we've had, are content trying to do more with less than more with more.

Again, my opinion, I am not trying to change anyone's mind, just stating what mine is.

How is K State recruiting going?

Reactions: TheBeav815
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT