ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley's response to Alex Lewis rant

Wow, what novel insight coach Riley has! Hear that Bo? You cannot make sweeping judgments about an entire fan base from the remarks of a few idiots on Facebook, Twitter, or in the supermarket. Nor can you mistake criticism for outright denunciation. I for one thought Lewis' antics were inexcusable and unsurprising given his proclivity to commit penalties. Consequently, I was critical of Lewis' performance, but that does not mean I want to see him or my beloved Huskers fail, and I imagine most of the fan base doesn't either.

I really hated that "Us vs. Them" mentality that Pelini instilled in our boys. I'm more impressed with Riley every week. I'm not saying he's perfect, but it's a joy to have an adult as our head coach. This is the man who will mentor our young men to be the people that they ought to become. Reminds me of a famous head coach that once roamed the sidelines at Memorial Stadium. What was his name...

Honestly I didn't even know who he was. lol I had to google him. At that point I knew he wasn't too relevant if he did end up leaving.
Is he even leaving. You go off like that on twitter about a fan base you better be ready to either issue an apology or hold good on your promise I haven't seen either yet. One less Bo Jr the better

I am very disappointed in Riley. Lewis knows he made a mistake in the way he responded to critics and he deleted the post. Riley could have taken the opportunity to mention the bad behavior of some aholes but he was mum in the defense of the players. Riley could have and should have just said the matter is closed without publicly criticizing a hard working and dedicated player.

Clearly he is following his marching orders to keep Delaney from calling Perlman and the unjustified "consequences" are intended to do just that.

I am more interested if he has consequences because of his actions on/off the field. Saying something in a press conference is nice but how does Riley handle this within the program? Winking

I am very disappointed in Riley. Lewis knows he made a mistake in the way he responded to critics and he deleted the post. Riley could have taken the opportunity to mention the bad behavior of some aholes but he was mum in the defense of the players. Riley could have and should have just said the matter is closed without publicly criticizing a hard working and dedicated player.

Clearly he is following his marching orders to keep Delaney from calling Perlman and the unjustified "consequences" are intended to do just that.

You can't be serious with this?

But yet, you still support Peelini. Geezus christmas, you people are sick in the head, seriously.
You are really confused.

Writing something in defense of the payers is not in any way a show of support for Pelini.

I do know this you were 110% for Pelini and then changed your mind. For me I didn't care if Pelini stayed or left.

Tim you just kinda lost yourself when your man Pederson was fired.

Translation: I was going to criticize Riley however he handled this.
If he did A, you would say he should have done B. If he did B, you would say he should have done A. Your response was so predictable.

Mike Riley is a damn good coach and a even better person. The team is responding better then any of us could have imagined. Two down to the wire close loses against two quality teams. Riley handled this situation as good as anyone could have. Proud of the team for busting there asses off the past 3 weeks and I'm proud to call Mike Riley our head coach!

Go Big Red!

I had to reread this as I was sure you were joking...

The way Riley handled this said to the player, that behavior is unacceptable, and to the fans, this is unacceptable. This is a case where the customer is always right, and the customer, in this case, is the fan.

Do you think Riley didn't talk with Lewis in private about this? I have no doubt he told Lewis he understood his response, sided with his player even. But he felt he still needed to respond publicly in this way.

I don't think Lewis is feeling any less of a player or team member because Riley said what he said to the media for our benefit. And I don't think his hard work and dedication will suffer either.

And maybe, just maybe, we won't be talking about a similar response from another player in the future now that the expectation has been made known.

Reactions: sparky62
You are really confused.

Writing something in defense of the payers is not in any way a show of support for Pelini.

I do know this you were 110% for Pelini and then changed your mind. For me I didn't care if Pelini stayed or left.

Tim you just kinda lost yourself when your man Pederson was fired.

Not confused at all, your type is rinse/repeat.

Your defense of a Peelini type outburst plus many posts defending the piece of sh1t says opposite.

Following the bowl game against SC, 150% support. Then off the field issues, many which I reported on HOL amd people like you demied every single one. In due time, like always, I was proven right.

No tie to Pederson at all, couldn't care less about him.

The culture you are looking for is at Youngstown State. If this is truly so disappointing, please take solace cheering for the Penguins.

I had to reread this as I was sure you were joking...

The way Riley handled this said to the player, that behavior is unacceptable, and to the fans, this is unacceptable. This is a case where the customer is always right, and the customer, in this case, is the fan.

Do you think Riley didn't talk with Lewis in private about this? I have no doubt he told Lewis he understood his response, sided with his player even. But he felt he still needed to respond publicly in this way.

I don't think Lewis is feeling any less of a player or team member because Riley said what he said to the media for our benefit. And I don't think his hard work and dedication will suffer either.

And maybe, just maybe, we won't be talking about a similar response from another player in the future now that the expectation has been made known.
Real simple solution ban the players from using social media during the season -more then one coach does this and it avoids just this type of situation.

Real simple solution ban the players from using social media during the season -more then one coach does this and it avoids just this type of situation.

I think Riley's approach is outstanding. He is empowering the players to act as adults while providing recommendations on how they should handle themselves with respect to social media. In my experience, young adults very frequently rise to excellence when you treat them like adults but also provide strong mentorship that they can learn from. It is precisely the approach I use in my profession with young adults.

Exactly. The players need to understand how to use social media responsibly, as it is a part of the world we live in, not to be shielded from it.

I think Riley's approach is outstanding. He is empowering the players to act as adults while providing recommendations on how they should handle themselves with respect to social media. In my experience, young adults very frequently rise to excellence when you treat them like adults but also provide strong mentorship that they can learn from. It is precisely the approach I use in my profession with young adults.

Another great post.

Riley didn't have an obligation to speak about this as he could have handled it solely in house. His remarks on the Lewis issue were perfectly appropriate.
Alex should let his twitter account gather a little dust.

Madness

Mike Riley is a damn good coach and a even better person. The team is responding better then any of us could have imagined. Two down to the wire close loses against two quality teams. Riley handled this situation as good as anyone could have. Proud of the team for busting there asses off the past 3 weeks and I'm proud to call Mike Riley our head coach!

Go Big Red!

Great first post (seriously)! :D

Did the rest of us miss something (or just me)? I thought his post was good... Is the poster recycled from an old screen name that had been previously banned? Maybe you can't share...

Reactions: kaz36
You guys do realize that Mike Riley was asked about the situation that Alex Lewis created at his Monday press conference. Riley addressed this internally and he simply gave a short sypnopsis of that interaction to satisfy the reporters curiosity. I don't know what about this was handled poorly. If you are seeing something, you are imagining things.

My lord, some of you guys after seven years clearly suffer from Stockholm Syndrome if you can't appreciate the consummate professional that is the head coach in Lincoln. I know you have grown accustomed to an unhinged lunatic running the circus but those days have been over for almost a yewr

You guys do realize that Mike Riley was asked about the situation that Alex Lewis created at his Monday press conference. Riley addressed this internally and he simply gave a short sypnopsis of that interaction to satisfy the reporters curiosity. I don't know what about this was handled poorly. If you are seeing something, you are imagining things.

My lord, some of you guys after seven years clearly suffer from Stockholm Syndrome if you can't appreciate the consummate professional that is the head coach in Lincoln. I know you have grown accustomed to an unhinged lunatic running the circus but those days have been over for almost a yewr
Well said...

Riley was being transparent and it was Mr. Lewis that chose to go public and have it become an issue. "Can't we all just get along"?

ADVERTISEMENT