ADVERTISEMENT

Football Mike Riley on the Big Ten teleconference

Dan Hoppen

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Feb 16, 2012
Mike Riley made his inaugural appearance on the Big Ten Teleconference this morning. Here are the main nuggets from what he had to say:

***On what identity he wants his team to have: "We're looking for a team that plays hard and plays disciplined football. I think that the efficiency of the game is so important and the passion and the physical part has to go with it. And with all that we need to be a smart football team. That will be crucial to our success throughout the year.

***Riley said quarterback Taysom Hill's running ability makes him much tougher to depend and also opens up more for BYU when it uses play action.

***Riley said it seems like the day he was hired was long ago, but the last few weeks "have sped by... It went with the blink of an eye."

***Riley said he thinks Tommy Armstrong has done a great job of adjusting to Nebraska's new offensive scheme. He again emphasized that the coaches blended their style with Armstrong's abilities.

***Riley said he's anxious about the first game: "I don't know if it's excitement or nerves or all of it put together, and that's OK. I like that feeling. The anticipation for the first game is big as always. Like I told the guys yesterday, if it wasn't like that for me I wouldn't want to coach anymore. It's really neat. This place, if I summed it up in a word, they really care, all the way around with the state and the university and the sports teams. We're proud to be a part of it and we're excited to get started here."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.