ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley experiment at Nebraska already going awry

500mileRadius

Walk On
Jan 25, 2015
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/09...ey-experiment-at-nebraska-already-going-awry/

By Seth Gruen–

(CBS) The idea of “fit” as it pertains to a coach has always seemed like a manufactured ideal. I always thought a football coach was evaluated by a game’s score and not some notion of cultural symmetry.

A coach doesn’t need to be a laid-back country bumpkin to work in the SEC (see: Alabama’s Nick Saban and LSU’s Les Miles). In image-conscious Los Angeles a team with a buffoon as its coach might very well make the college football playoff (see: USC’s Steve Sarkisian.)

Yet it seems Nebraska and its drowning athletic director, Shawn Eichorst, were so focused on “the right fit” when it came to hiring Mike Riley as its their coach that it forgot about the football stuff altogether.

Full disclosure: I loved Riley’s predecessor, Bo Pelini, whose off-the-cuff, sometimes boorish tone made him seem so real. That’s really what we want out of a sports figure, right? To say what’s on their minds. Well, that’s exactly what Nebraska — specifically Eichorst — didn’t want.

Now that didn’t necessarily make Pelini a good football coach. His success in the field did. In each of his seven seasons as Nebraska’s coach, Pelini won at least nine games. Eichorst ignored that. As coach at Oregon State last season, Riley won five games. In 14 seasons — part of two stints — coaching the Beavers, Riley lost at least four games. Eichorst neglected that.

Said to have wanted the Nebraska job is Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost, who quarterbacked the Huskers to the 1997 national championship. He had the potential to have outrecruited Pelini. At 40, he could have been a more permanent solution than the 62-year-old Riley, Frost’s connection to Nebraska notwithstanding. Frost may have come with too much celebrity, though.

Riley is a good fit, at least based on what Eichorst appears to think Nebraska’s coach should be. Riley blends in. He’s as pleasant as Big Ten coaches come — so much so you would think he’s about to invite you to dinner. But pleasantries don’t transcend scheme, preparedness and game-planning.

Riley and the Huskers find themselves 1-2. In Week 1, they lost on a last-second Hail Mary to BYU. Last week, Nebraska lost in overtime at Miami in a game it wasn’t prepared to play. By halftime the Huskers trailed the Hurricanes, 20-3. Now tied with Purdue for the Big Ten’s worst record, Nebraska has nearly been jettisoned to irrelevancy by its newly hired coach.

It appears that the Riley experiment has gone awry. It never really had a chance. Nebraska has too much tradition and expectation to settle for a middling Pac-12 hire. Then again, Pelini never should have been fired anyways. His undoing wasn’t his work product on it, but instead his behavior off of it.

Riley fits well with Nebraska’s Midwestern sensibilities, which isn’t what the school needed. How could I criticize Riley for being nice? He’s giving us an early reminder of just where nice guys finish.

Big Ten power rankings
1. Michigan State (3-0, 0-0) — The Spartans own the conference’s best win.

2. Ohio State (3-0, 0-0) — Questions at quarterback could spell problems.

3. Wisconsin (2-1, 0-0) — I’ve yet to see any reason they won’t win the West Division.

4. Northwestern (3-0, 0-0) — In three games, the Wildcats’ defense has allowed one touchdown.

5. Minnesota (2-1, 0-0) — Ten points against Kent State makes the Gophers look less impressive.

6. Iowa (3-0, 0-0) –The Hawkeyes are unbeaten but should expect a rough start to the Big Ten season.

7. Michigan (2-1, 0-0) — The Wolverines are trending up at the right time. BYU visits Ann Arbor Saturday.

8. Indiana (3-0, 0-0) — An easy schedule gets a little tougher with Ohio State in two weeks.

9. Penn State (2-1, 1-0) — Quarterback Christian Hackenberg has looked nothing like a first-round pick.

10. Illinois (2-1, 0-0) — Early drops killed the Illini at North Carolina.

11. Maryland (2-1, 0-0) — I’m still holding a loss against Bowling Green against them.

12. Nebraska (1-2, 0-0) — The Huskers could spend some quality time down here this season.

13. Rutgers (1-2, 0-1) — It’s still kind of weird they’re even in the Big Ten.

14. Purdue (1-2, 0-0) — No upward movement expected here.

Seth Gruen is columnist for CBSChicago.com, focusing on college sports. You can follow him on Twitter @SethGruen.

Lost credibility of this writer from a whole ago. Needed a story to stir the click baiters and he did. Move on

Well go jump off a cliff then the world has come crashing to an end...geez. Give the Riley a chance for heaven's sake before you take a position and make such a stupid post. The team has been riddled with injuries and they are installing two entirely new offensive and defensive systems. You are wrong it's not entirely about winning IF a coach lashes out repeatedly with a broad stroke of rage against an entire fanbase and the conducts himself in public like infant. Pelini hated Nebraska and couldn't leave quick enough - his continued efforts at NU were only to pad a resume and bank account.

Move on.

Full disclosure: I loved Riley’s predecessor, Bo Pelini, whose off-the-cuff, sometimes boorish tone made him seem so real. That’s really what we want out of a sports figure, right? To say what’s on their minds. Well, that’s exactly what Nebraska — specifically Eichorst — didn’t want.

What a surprise. A Bo PeeWeenie lover bashing NU

That’s really what we want out of a sports figure, right? To say what’s on their minds. Well, that’s exactly what Nebraska — specifically Eichorst — didn’t want.

No actually the majority of fans just didn't want to see NU being brutally raped on national TV anymore with record breaking performances by the opposition. I'm sure Eichorst felt the same way.

Reactions: jpaz and steelclaw
Well, good for you Seth. I was really impressed with your premise that Nebraska hired Riley due to cultural fit and not at all based on merit. I was even more impressed with the argument you gave backing that premise up, namely, that Bo Pelini didn't deserve to be fired given his numerous accolades. At least you tried to be upfront about the fact that you weren't even trying to be objective.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/09...ey-experiment-at-nebraska-already-going-awry/

By Seth Gruen–

(CBS) The idea of “fit” as it pertains to a coach has always seemed like a manufactured ideal. I always thought a football coach was evaluated by a game’s score and not some notion of cultural symmetry.

A coach doesn’t need to be a laid-back country bumpkin to work in the SEC (see: Alabama’s Nick Saban and LSU’s Les Miles). In image-conscious Los Angeles a team with a buffoon as its coach might very well make the college football playoff (see: USC’s Steve Sarkisian.)

Yet it seems Nebraska and its drowning athletic director, Shawn Eichorst, were so focused on “the right fit” when it came to hiring Mike Riley as its their coach that it forgot about the football stuff altogether.

Now that didn’t necessarily make Pelini a good football coach. His success in the field did. In each of his seven seasons as Nebraska’s coach, Pelini won at least nine games. Eichorst ignored that. As coach at Oregon State last season, Riley won five games. In 14 seasons — part of two stints — coaching the Beavers, Riley lost at least four games. Eichorst neglected that.

Said to have wanted the Nebraska job is Oregon offensive coordinator Scott Frost, who quarterbacked the Huskers to the 1997 national championship. He had the potential to have outrecruited Pelini. At 40, he could have been a more permanent solution than the 62-year-old Riley, Frost’s connection to Nebraska notwithstanding. Frost may have come with too much celebrity, though.

Riley is a good fit, at least based on what Eichorst appears to think Nebraska’s coach should be. Riley blends in. He’s as pleasant as Big Ten coaches come — so much so you would think he’s about to invite you to dinner. But pleasantries don’t transcend scheme, preparedness and game-planning.

Riley and the Huskers find themselves 1-2. In Week 1, they lost on a last-second Hail Mary to BYU. Last week, Nebraska lost in overtime at Miami in a game it wasn’t prepared to play. By halftime the Huskers trailed the Hurricanes, 20-3. Now tied with Purdue for the Big Ten’s worst record, Nebraska has nearly been jettisoned to irrelevancy by its newly hired coach.

It appears that the Riley experiment has gone awry. It never really had a chance. Nebraska has too much tradition and expectation to settle for a middling Pac-12 hire. Then again, Pelini never should have been fired anyways. His undoing wasn’t his work product on it, but instead his behavior off of it.

Riley fits well with Nebraska’s Midwestern sensibilities, which isn’t what the school needed. How could I criticize Riley for being nice? He’s giving us an early reminder of just where nice guys finish.

Big Ten power rankings
1. Michigan State (3-0, 0-0) — The Spartans own the conference’s best win.

2. Ohio State (3-0, 0-0) — Questions at quarterback could spell problems.

3. Wisconsin (2-1, 0-0) — I’ve yet to see any reason they won’t win the West Division.

4. Northwestern (3-0, 0-0) — In three games, the Wildcats’ defense has allowed one touchdown.

5. Minnesota (2-1, 0-0) — Ten points against Kent State makes the Gophers look less impressive.

6. Iowa (3-0, 0-0) –The Hawkeyes are unbeaten but should expect a rough start to the Big Ten season.

7. Michigan (2-1, 0-0) — The Wolverines are trending up at the right time. BYU visits Ann Arbor Saturday.

8. Indiana (3-0, 0-0) — An easy schedule gets a little tougher with Ohio State in two weeks.

9. Penn State (2-1, 1-0) — Quarterback Christian Hackenberg has looked nothing like a first-round pick.

10. Illinois (2-1, 0-0) — Early drops killed the Illini at North Carolina.

11. Maryland (2-1, 0-0) — I’m still holding a loss against Bowling Green against them.

12. Nebraska (1-2, 0-0) — The Huskers could spend some quality time down here this season.

13. Rutgers (1-2, 0-1) — It’s still kind of weird they’re even in the Big Ten.

14. Purdue (1-2, 0-0) — No upward movement expected here.

Seth Gruen is columnist for CBSChicago.com, focusing on college sports. You can follow him on Twitter @SethGruen.
How about you Seth and a couple of the other whiners on this board run along and have a circle jerk with Bo. 500 mile radius you can be the pivot man.

Reactions: Archie Graham
What a poorly written article. Seth? Did you have your mind on the weekend and just wanted to hand in something on the way out the door? Jeez, journalism is becoming a joke.

Just when I think I have read all the stupidity concerning Nebraska football, good old Seth drops his turd in the punchbowl.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Full disclosure: I loved Riley’s predecessor, Bo Pelini, whose off-the-cuff, sometimes boorish tone made him seem so real. That’s really what we want out of a sports figure, right? To say what’s on their minds.

I quit reading after this line. Umm, no, that's not what we all want out of a "sports figure". He sounds like a 20 year old college girl that watches to much "Real Housewifes of blah blah blah...".

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
scanners4.gif

Bad journalist!

It's obvious that he only checked the stat sheet and saw that we were down 20-3. Did he not witnessed the fourth quarter?? nope.

We have ways to go but to be honest, we are a hail mary and a Tommy INT/Long penalty away from being 3-0 against solid competition. I still believe the we will lose 5 games this year but that was my prediction before the season started.

Here is another way to look at Pelini's time here (which sorry if had already been brought up) I hear his supporters say he'd be here if 2009, 2010, or 2012 conference titles are won. I think if he would have won any of them he would have been on to another job. Ex if DONU beats Wisky in Indy I really believe that Bo would be at Arkansas instead of BB. I think there are a couple other jobs he wanted along the way but did not get because f the results of these games.
OP must be living in a fantasy land if 9 wins, a blowout or two per year, public embarrassments, 0 top 10 finishes, 0 conference titles, and 0 BCS bowls is a successful in 7 years here.

Reactions: ExxHusker
ebraska lost in overtime at Miami in a game it wasn’t prepared to play. By halftime the Huskers trailed the Hurricanes, 20-3. Now tied with Purdue for the Big Ten’s worst record, Nebraska has nearly been jettisoned to irrelevancy by its newly hired coach.

Bo needed to go. There is some validity here though. The team plays flat against decent competition until they dig themselves into a hole. If this pattern does continue there will be empty seats starting with the east upper deck. People will decide they have better things to do with their time and money.

Bo needed to go. There is some validity here though. The team plays flat against decent competition until they dig themselves into a hole. If this pattern does continue there will be empty seats starting with the east upper deck. People will decide they have better things to do with their time and money.

Starting off slow is an issue, but it is also something that the coaching staff is going to work on. This staff recognizes a problem and they don't get combative and tell the media that they don't know football and that it is a process. The staff acknowledged the problem, said they were going to find out what went wrong and work on fixing that behavior. It is what a professional does.

Three games into the first season of a coaching transition, Nebraska is now the subject of chicken littles all around the country. Had they been 3-0 and poised to enter conference play undefeated, no way in hell anyone says a word about the sky falling. Perspective much? Does everyone forget the last 7 years? Was I the only one who watched our defense get sodomized by piss poor Big Ten offenses? Am I the only one who remembers that six games into the storied career of the greatest defensive guru's tenure Nebraska was 3-3 with two ass pastings and.....gasp...and overtime loss on the road.....Nope, the sky is falling after 3 games, it is decided, this whole thing needs to be blown up....Laughing out loud just about sums that up.

This is proof positive that the last staff was the worst thing that ever happened to Nebraska Football. They have poisoned a large segment of the fan base into believe that 9 wins is the only thing that matters. They were able to lower expectations and they managed to foster a set of coach fans rather than Husker fans who to this day still root for the head clown and want the new guy who replaced him to fail. A bunch of very bitter and jilted lovers who want their boorish jerkoff back so he can spittle all over their face and tell them to go F themselves. That man deserves no credit, support or thanks for what he did at Nebraska, only a swift kick in the nuts for.

HPH band of losers are working overtime.

I had to look that up. Was this a board started by former disgruntled HOL posters that were banned on this board? I see mkasson (real name, not fake made up username) is active on the site. So, they giggle amongst each other and create fake accounts over here to troll the program's supporters. How cute.

I had to look that up. Was this a board started by former disgruntled HOL posters that were banned on this board? I see mkasson (real name, not fake made up username) is active on the site. So, they giggle amongst each other and create fake accounts over here to troll the program's supporters. How cute.
I believe they really should change their sites title to Circlejerking for Biff or something along those lines. There was some pretty embarrassing stuff that came out of their camp last year. To consider these people Husker fans is a grave mistake. They want nothing but failure for the program.

"Riley fits well with Nebraska’s Midwestern sensibilities, which isn’t what the school needed. How could I criticize Riley for being nice? He’s giving us an early reminder of just where nice guys finish."

Guess he forgot all about that mean SOB Tom Osborne.

Reactions: Park Avenue
Starting off slow is an issue, but it is also something that the coaching staff is going to work on. This staff recognizes a problem and they don't get combative and tell the media that they don't know football and that it is a process. The staff acknowledged the problem, said they were going to find out what went wrong and work on fixing that behavior. It is what a professional does.

Three games into the first season of a coaching transition, Nebraska is now the subject of chicken littles all around the country. Had they been 3-0 and poised to enter conference play undefeated, no way in hell anyone says a word about the sky falling. Perspective much? Does everyone forget the last 7 years? Was I the only one who watched our defense get sodomized by piss poor Big Ten offenses? Am I the only one who remembers that six games into the storied career of the greatest defensive guru's tenure Nebraska was 3-3 with two ass pastings and.....gasp...and overtime loss on the road.....Nope, the sky is falling after 3 games, it is decided, this whole thing needs to be blown up....Laughing out loud just about sums that up.

This is proof positive that the last staff was the worst thing that ever happened to Nebraska Football. They have poisoned a large segment of the fan base into believe that 9 wins is the only thing that matters. They were able to lower expectations and they managed to foster a set of coach fans rather than Husker fans who to this day still root for the head clown and want the new guy who replaced him to fail. A bunch of very bitter and jilted lovers who want their boorish jerkoff back so he can spittle all over their face and tell them to go F themselves. That man deserves no credit, support or thanks for what he did at Nebraska, only a swift kick in the nuts for.
Like you said yesterday - Stockholm Syndrome

I didn't read past "I loved Mike Riley's predessor, Bo Pelini..." Anyone who can say that is living in either an alternate reality or is devoid of any measure of human reasoning.

Bad journalist!

It's obvious that he only checked the stat sheet and saw that we were down 20-3. Did he not witnessed the fourth quarter?? nope.

We have ways to go but to be honest, we are a hail mary and a Tommy INT/Long penalty away from being 3-0 against solid competition. I still believe the we will lose 5 games this year but that was my prediction before the season started.
Did you watch the game? 2 TDs called back, starters out, Al is the worst coach, more penalties, a team that was padding stats vs just winning by 3 TDs, snapping with 15 seconds left and throwing. It wasn't close. Talent is far off. We have a grand total of 9, yes 9, 4 stars in the last 3 classes. Plus, we lose dang near everyone next year. We are a long ways away. You think it's 15 years and counting, well 16 after this year, it will be 19 and 20 unless things change. Parity has set in and of all places it's Neb harder than any D-1 in the country.

Another example of how a sports journalist may not know $#!t about what they write about.

I believe they really should change their sites title to Circlejerking for Biff or something along those lines. There was some pretty embarrassing stuff that came out of their camp last year. To consider these people Husker fans is a grave mistake. They want nothing but failure for the program.

I laughed.

I think I'm done contributing to the never ending discussion of Pelini. His parting gift to us, the fans, was to divide us into camps. We're still divided and there's no end of that in sight. Let the trolls troll, let the haters hate, let the second guessing go on forever. Whatever. Time for this fan to just let all of it go, quit blaming the past, and see where the future takes us. Is anyone else exhausted by this incessant bickering and division? Once not long ago our only concern was being proud of our team. I'm going back to that. The hell with this.

Reactions: DPDWU
Dude give credit where its due, Miami did not have there back ups in, there where trying to run up the score on us. And tryed doing so by doing exactly what they did earlier in the game, passing on us. We simply got hot on defense and offense. We fought and came back just to only lose in over time by an over confident Tommy threwing a pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeans15
500mile, just because a woman can make judgement about your skillz in the bedroom after 3 minutes doesn't mean you can extrapolate that out into the game of football and the hiring of new football coaches after 3 games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT