ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley and Wisconsin

big red22

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2003
First let me start out by saying I like the Mike Riley hire and like what he is doing. I can't think of anything I have disliked so far. One thing that I have questioned from the get go though is Barry Alvarez's association to the hire, and what transpired next.

I got to thinking about this again when I read the post about Oregon St. shutting down UCLA's run game after our whoopin... As well as the Wisconsin game that same year. That game(Wisconsin) is now irrelevant with Chryst being the coach now.

I know that Shawn Eichorst went to Alvarez for some guidance before Riley was hired, and then the Anderson/Chryst switch happened right after that. It smelled fishy then and it still does now.

When Chryst was at Wisconson as Offensive Coordinator they played Riley's Oregon St. in 2011. You know the outcome of that game 35-0 Wisconsin. I haven't done any more research than that, but don't know any other head to head battles off of the top of my head.

I'm not saying Alvarez is giving himself a leg up on us by doing this, but I sure feel there is something there. We all know Chryst worked with Riley for a while and Chryst knows Riley's plays and play calling habits.

Could Alvarez do this because of his Nebraska ties? I hope that someone on this staff changes things up when Chryst comes to town, because if we get blown out I am going to be freaking pissed. I know this is a bit overboard, but I just have that gut feeling on this!

Reactions: sparky62
I know BA is a Nebraska grad but why would we go to our main division rival for thoughts on hiring a coach. Eichorst is far too intelligent to ever do something like this.

And there are likely worse coaches who would have been an easier sell than the guy that just went 5-7.

Are you implying that there might be some sort of Trojan horse scenario? Why would anyone think Alvarez would have interest in creating any kind of instability at another established football program in his division? I'm sure he just wants what's best for NU.

We know Barry Alvarez only had Nebraska's best interests at heart when he recommended Shawn Eichorst to Harvey Perlman as Tom Osborne's successor.

Everyone knows that Alvarez is Eichorst's mentor. BA got SE the job in Miami and when he realized the it was a cluster, he got Eichorst the same job at Nebraska. Of course SE went to Alvarez for advice on this hire. Now here is Alvarez who wants to have Chryst as his coach. He doesn't like the type of offense that Anderson was running. Anderson wants to move back to the west coast, but needs a HC job to open up to do this. SE hires Reilly away from OSU without even interviewing anyone else. Anderson gets his West coast job. Barry doesnt have to fire a successful coach and pay him off to get Chryst as his HC. Not saying that all this happened this way nor do I have any insider knowledge, but the whole thing worked out so fast that one has to wonder.

giphy.gif

A number of things:

1. I find it amusing that people think Shawn Eichorst is just a pawn for Wisconsin and Alvarez. Perhaps its stems from his goofy looks in pictures. Eichorst is immensely smart and truly has Nebraska's best interests at heart.

2. Wisconsin blew out Oregon State in 2011 because they arguably had one of the best teams in the country while Oregon State was 3-9. Remember the beat down Russel Wilson and Wiscy placed on the Huskers in 2011? I'm thinking Barry Alvarez would have better luck just figuring out how to keep Russel Wilson on the roster.

3. Gary Andersen left Wisconsin because he knew he could never recruit his type of players. His recruiting classes the last 2 cycles have been poor. He basically lost the last link to Bielema and Chryst's players following 2014. Andersen repeatedly targeted kids and JUCO guys who couldn't gain acceptance into Wisconsin. Alvarez realized he would need to bring in Chryst because he was the only guy who could understand how to maintain that formula going forward.

A number of things:

1. I find it amusing that people think Shawn Eichorst is just a pawn for Wisconsin and Alvarez. Perhaps its stems from his goofy looks in pictures. Eichorst is immensely smart and truly has Nebraska's best interests at heart.

2. Wisconsin blew out Oregon State in 2011 because they arguably had one of the best teams in the country while Oregon State was 3-9. Remember the beat down Russel Wilson and Wiscy placed on the Huskers in 2011? I'm thinking Barry Alvarez would have better luck just figuring out how to keep Russel Wilson on the roster.

3. Gary Andersen left Wisconsin because he knew he could never recruit his type of players. His recruiting classes the last 2 cycles have been poor. He basically lost the last link to Bielema and Chryst's players following 2014. Andersen repeatedly targeted kids and JUCO guys who couldn't gain acceptance into Wisconsin. Alvarez realized he would need to bring in Chryst because he was the only guy who could understand how to maintain that formula going forward.
I like it when you write books Cornicator. No spinnering that. ... Lots of Pro players are friends of other players and even train with them; why worry you might meet in a Super bowl and not improve. Of course BA was going to answer questions from SE; what could he say, I don't want to be a straight shooter any longer - BA was visiting N as an alum for years before we went B1G.

Reactions: sparky62
First let me start out by saying I like the Mike Riley hire and like what he is doing. I can't think of anything I have disliked so far. One thing that I have questioned from the get go though is Barry Alvarez's association to the hire, and what transpired next.

I got to thinking about this again when I read the post about Oregon St. shutting down UCLA's run game after our whoopin... As well as the Wisconsin game that same year. That game(Wisconsin) is now irrelevant with Chryst being the coach now.

I know that Shawn Eichorst went to Alvarez for some guidance before Riley was hired, and then the Anderson/Chryst switch happened right after that. It smelled fishy then and it still does now.

When Chryst was at Wisconson as Offensive Coordinator they played Riley's Oregon St. in 2011. You know the outcome of that game 35-0 Wisconsin. I haven't done any more research than that, but don't know any other head to head battles off of the top of my head.

I'm not saying Alvarez is giving himself a leg up on us by doing this, but I sure feel there is something there. We all know Chryst worked with Riley for a while and Chryst knows Riley's plays and play calling habits.

Could Alvarez do this because of his Nebraska ties? I hope that someone on this staff changes things up when Chryst comes to town, because if we get blown out I am going to be freaking pissed. I know this is a bit overboard, but I just have that gut feeling on this!

Some conspiracy theories have some merit, others do not. This one does not.

Pelini made Wiscy look better than they were. Alvarez would have told Eichorst to keep Pelini if Eichorst is only a pawn.

Okay, now that that's been settled. It's time to put my aluminum foil hat back on and hide from contrails.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Alvarez also told Solich to consider hiring a certain up and coming LB coach from the Packers.

wow it is a conspiracy from Barry!!!!!!!Laughing

Lordy this summer is getting longer and longer.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Are you implying that there might be some sort of Trojan horse scenario? Why would anyone think Alvarez would have interest in creating any kind of instability at another established football program in his division? I'm sure he just wants what's best for NU.

We know Barry Alvarez only had Nebraska's best interests at heart when he recommended Shawn Eichorst to Harvey Perlman as Tom Osborne's successor.

Yeahhhhhhhhhh, instead of telling Eichorst to hire Riley why didn't Alvarez just tell Eichorst to keep Bo Pelini? I mean..why would Alvarez want to see Pelini leave when his football progam on average has beat Nebraska to the tune of 51-25 since we joined the Big 10? You Bolievers didn't really think that one thru now did you?

giphy.gif

Pelini made Wiscy look better than they were. Alvarez would have told Eichorst to keep Pelini if Eichorst is only a pawn.

Okay, now that that's been settled. It's time to put my aluminum foil hat back on and hide from contrails.

This, if there was a conspiracy to hurt NU, Bo would still be here, however, Alvarez also wanted Chryst. From Alvarez's perspective, is repacing Bo with Riley worth saving a few million to fire Andersen? In other words, he would rather have Bo at NU since that damages NU more, but by replacing him with MR he saves a few million in Andersen firing costs. I would think having Wiscy own NU would be worth more than a few million in the long term, as Bo would only cause more embarrassment and damage. Therefore, I don't buy into the conspiracy theory. In addition, if Alvarez wanted to hurt NU and still get Chryst he simply would have ordered SE to hire someone worse than MR.

Last edited:

You make a valid point, but I also believe that was not an option.

I believe the question to Alvarez was not "Should I keep Pelini or go for new blood?" it was more likely "We are going to hire a new coach, where should I look?"

Look I'm not trying to be negative here. The way things happened were extremely odd and it was clear as day. Also I'm not saying it is a conspiracy, just saying Alvarez seems to have reacted to our hire, and it was to counter act what who we hired.

I

I believe the question to Alvarez was not "Should I keep Pelini or go for new blood?" it was more likely "We are going to hire a new coach, where should I look?"

Look I'm not trying to be negative here. The way things happened were extremely odd and it was clear as day. Also I'm not saying it is a conspiracy, just saying Alvarez seems to have reacted to our hire, and it was to counter act what who we hired.

I
Or Anderson just didn't like the situation there. But I am sure Barry Alvarez is really controlling everything in 2 B1G athletic departments. Excuse me, I need to go to the store. I seem to have run out of aluminum foil.

Funny how the 2012 OSU victory by HCMR has been left out of so many negative posts Amazing, really
Two things for you good sir.

1. I'm not being Negative in any way shape or form

2. As I explained to berzerk... Paul Chryst was in Pittsburgh in 2012

Or Anderson just didn't like the situation there. But I am sure Barry Alvarez is really controlling everything in 2 B1G athletic departments. Excuse me, I need to go to the store. I seem to have run out of aluminum foil.
Your humor is just fantastic!

You should spend less time on this board if my posts bother you so much? Make sure you wear that aluminum hat today while your fishing in the Thunderstorms

Last edited:
Your humor is just fantastic!

You should spend less time on this board if my posts bother you so much? Make sure you wear that aluminum hat today while your fishing in the Thunderstorms
Touche, drama boy

To explain myself, I enjoy conspiracy theories, so in some way I was poking fun at myself. Conspiracy theories show up in situations where unintended(is it really intended?) great benefits happen as a side result. So let's look at the benefits.

These are just my observations and opinions:

1. Gary Andersen is way more highly regarded as HC over Chryst.
2. Chryst played and coached at Wiscy. He would be a "goto guy" in a similar fashion as Harbaugh at Michigan or even Scott Frost (if he had more experience) for NU.
3. NU had trouble in prior coaching searches.
4. The only person more pissed off than Alvarez at Wiscy getting pimped out by Ohio st 59-0, that would be Andersen.

So in this particular scenario and trying to be unbiased, who benefits the most and in what order?

1. That would be Oregon State. I'll pose that they were ready for a change, and what kind of coach should OrSU expect to get. They were about to go dumpster diving for a new coach, and Gary Andersen was dropped in their lap, manna from heaven.

2. NU with Riley. Worst case scenario (at least to me), NU is as mediocre as we've been. Best case scenario, we're back on the national scene. But in any case, we get professionalism back and likely respect nationally.

3. Wiscy with Chryt is a down grade. Andersen quit, walked off the job, and he blames Wiscy for his leaving. That's embarrassing to Alvarez and Wiscy. Chryst is a stopgap, goto guy, and that's all. The only people spinning this as a win are going to be Wiscy fans.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT