ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley and his four-letter words

maplesyrup95

Junior
Nov 26, 2014
After reading Dirk's pieces on Riley, I don't know about you all but I am seriously considering trying not to cuss for a while and seeing where that goes. I think it might be fun to throw people off when they are expect a curse word, and start saying "darnit," "shucks," "cheese and rice," and my new favorite... "doggone." I could get used to saying Jimony Crickets every now and then too. Anybody else?

I'm in. I've been saying some things that I'm not very proud of.

Nah
My dad was a old Marine and the f bombs roled of his tongue like sweet tea.

Story of my father...
I was about 18 and i was helping him with one of our cars. Like all good mechanics do when frustrated he started dropping the f bomb. He said "F*** the f*** f*** f***"! After about 15 seconds to letting him regroup i said, "gez dad i didn't think one word could be used as a noun, verb and adjective all the same sentence"? He shook his head and laughed.

"The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it."

- George Washington

Originally posted by Sooner_or_Later:

"The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it."

- George Washington
That's a bunch of shit.

Originally posted by Cornicator:
Originally posted by Sooner_or_Later:

- George Washington
That's a bunch of shit.
roll.r191677.gif

My father told me that cussing is an indication that a person does not have the vocabulary or mind to find an appropriate word to use for the situation. Between that and the punishments, I never really developed a habit of cussing much. I am certainly not above using one now and then but I would say 1 or 2 a week is probably the norm. I don't feel bothered if others do as long as they can refrain around my young children.

My wife does less than I do and if I say 'crap' at home my kids will remind me that it is a 'dirty' word.

I'm certainly guilty of cursing, but I read something once that made a lot of sense to me. This isn't word for word, but it went something like this:

"Rarely in life or business have I found a situation where cursing actually helped or benefited me, in fact, it usually made things worse".

Isn't substituting words for cuss words the exact same as, well, using a cuss word? I mean the words themselves aren't "bad," it's the meaning attached to them.

I couldn't care less how Mike Riley chooses to use his vocabulary. Frankly it doesn't really change whether or not he will have success on the field. He can drop jiminey christmases all he wants to, I don't care, just win baby. As for swearing in general, I think there is a time and place for it, it's when people don't use their common sense and use foul language at inappropriate times that get them into trouble ie. (Bo Pelini).

Originally posted by Ohio_husker:
My father told me that cussing is an indication that a person does not have the vocabulary or mind to find an appropriate word to use for the situation. Between that and the punishments, I never really developed a habit of cussing much. I am certainly not above using one now and then but I would say 1 or 2 a week is probably the norm. I don't feel bothered if others do as long as they can refrain around my young children.

My wife does less than I do and if I say 'crap' at home my kids will remind me that it is a 'dirty' word.
You and your kids should probably never stay at my house then. Lol

teaching middle school makes my skin crawl...kids cuss all the time and dont think twice about doing it in front of adults...all comes back to their parents not doing their job and school having bigger issues to deal with...very frustrating though

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT