ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Gundy

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought the same as far as the players go, but i guess his antics have lost a lot of love over the years.
its unfortunate. while i think he can be an idiot at times, he's been damn successful.

Almost as successful as Bo Pelini.

Reactions: bigboxes
Would you say that if he had a BLM shirt on...I guess some ideas are more equal than others.

Go Blue!
No I wouldn’t because the only the crappiest players on his team would have a problem w a coach wearing a BLM shirt. Read it on Breitbart, racists are horrible athletes and among the laziest in society. :)

Feelings aside, it's a ****ing shirt. IBTL

So's this. Should he wear this one too?

iron-cross-white-pride-baseball.jpg

Yeah and it would be OSU's right to fire him if they wanted. Rights and privileges and terms of employment are all different things.
That's the beauty of it all. You can wear a swastika shirt if you want, but you will soon be outed as a radical racist, and disassociated from rational society, fired from your job, or have your business boycotted. Let people be who they are. If OSU thinks it's wrong or racist, fire his ass and move along. But for a vaguely racially insensitive shirt to be a tipping point in a culture of overt racism...I dont want to ruin this thread.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
It's his right. Probably wouldn't help him In his career. His right though, nonetheless. Feelings aside. Weak ass argument.

Unlike your strong, thoughtful contributions to this thread, right?

That's my whole point. It's his right but that doesn't make it a wise decision. In fact, given his profession, it's a downright dumb or ignorant choice.

And it's that willful ignorance I'm railing against. Have whatever opinion about BLM or all of the current social unrest that you want. But people act like they don't understand why anyone might possibly be offended. It's just a "news" network. It's just a t-shirt.

Talk about your weak-ass, lazy arguments.

That's my whole point. It's his right but that doesn't make it a wise decision. In fact, given his profession, it's a downright dumb or ignorant choice.

And it's that willful ignorance I'm railing against. Have whatever opinion about BLM or all of the current social unrest that you want. But people act like they don't understand why anyone might possibly be offended. It's just a "news" network. It's just a t-shirt.

K buddy. I understand why there was offense. But I believe in addressing issues with the people you have issues with, especially if it's your coach, Not just crying online for attention. Dumb idea to wear the shirt, but also funny to me that it causes so much emotional pain. Dangerous world when your canceled or chastised for something on your shirt.

That's the beauty of it all. You can wear a swastika shirt if you want, but you will soon be outed as a radical racist, and disassociated from rational society, fired from your job, or have your business boycotted. Let people be who they are. If OSU thinks it's wrong or racist, fire his ass and move along. But for a vaguely racially insensitive shirt to be a tipping point in a culture of overt racism...I dont want to ruin this thread.

Again, I don't think Gundy was trying to be vaguely racist or anti-BLM hoping no one would notice. I don't want to see him or anyone else crucified just to appease outrage unless there's evidence that they were overt or crossed a line.

In that case, dismissal is an easy choice. That doesn't appear to be what will happen with Gundy, nor what should happen based on the current info. The player that called him out has also apologized for not approaching him directly. All appears OK in Stillwater again.

But it's not that hard to see it from the other side and understand why that would have really upset some of his players. It's not the shirt or even the site it represented; those are just symbols. It was the notion that their head coach may not actually give two shits about the one thing that matters most to many of his players (their worth as human beings).

I'm glad they smoothed it out. Like Ferentz, we'll see if Gundy really means it.

If a t-shirt, that represents a news network that doesn't agree with the sum total of BLM (plenty of difference between supporting equal rights for minorities and all-in for BLM) triggers you...that is weak. Good grief we are a nation of the weak and intellectually lazy. Tired of unnecessary apologies.

If a t-shirt, that represents a news network that doesn't agree with the sum total of BLM (plenty of difference between supporting equal rights for minorities and all-in for BLM) triggers you...that is weak. Good grief we are a nation of the weak and intellectually lazy. Tired of unnecessary apologies.

For crying out loud. It's not the actual t-shirt or some bullshit fake news site. It obviously represented something larger for them, like the possibility that their coach might not actually view them as equal human beings.

They obviously overreacted out of emotion, but again, these are a bunch of 18-22 year olds that were already charged up before this.

I'm not personally triggered by it. Not even close to being my hill to die on. I think Gundy was a dumbass more than anything else. If he was more self-aware, he could have avoided this whole mess. It was a misstep but one he'll easily survive unless something damning comes to light.

I'm also not defending the players at Iowa or OSU for the public way in which they handled their grievances. All I've argued throughout this thread is that it's not that hard to understand why something like that, however small it seems, would trigger a reaction given the racial tension in the country/world right now.

You don't have to agree with their reaction and obviously don't, but it's really not that hard to grasp unless you're digging your heels in deliberately.

Last edited:
K buddy. I understand why there was offense. But I believe in addressing issues with the people you have issues with, especially if it's your coach, Not just crying online for attention. Dumb idea to wear the shirt, but also funny to me that it causes so much emotional pain. Dangerous world when your canceled or chastised for something on your shirt.

I agree that they should have addressed it directly with their coach. You have to at least exhaust that option before going public. Unless there's something undeniably wrong going on and it's a true whistle blower situation, going public should be a last resort. I applaud the ASU player who owned up to his mistake on that one.

As for how you choose to express yourself, how the world might react and whether disclosing your views might potentially eliminate professional opportunities, that's a line we all have to walk.

For crying out loud. It's not the actual t-shirt or some bullshit fake news site. It obviously represented something larger for them, like the possibility that their coach might not actually view them as equal human beings.

They obviously overreacted out of emotion, but again, these are a bunch of 18-22 year olds that were already charged up before this.

I'm not personally triggered it. Not even close to being my hill to die on. I think Gundy was a dumbass more than anything else. If he was more self-aware, he could have avoided this whole mess. It was a misstep but one he'll easily survive unless something damning comes to light.

I'm also not defending the players at Iowa or OSU for the public way in which they handled their grievances. All I've argued throughout this thread is that it's not that hard to understand why something like that, however small it seems, would trigger a reaction given the racial tension in the country/world right now.

You don't have to agree with their reaction and obviously don't, but it's really not that hard to grasp unless you're digging your heels in deliberately.
I meant the player being triggered by a news network t-shirt. Not you, J.R. Glad he realized going to Twitter to join the ranks of the offended was not a great first step.

The "I wasn't aware of their views on (offending issue)" defense seems pretty disingenuous given his previously self-professed fandom, but disassociation is the name of the game. I guess time will tell if he's really had an epiphany.

OAN and all the click bait conspiracy "networks" on either side, left or right, can pound sand. While the answers are far from obvious, I'm pretty sure they don't include more artificial "media" sources to provide misinformation solely intended to stir up shit.

Maybe it's just me, but it would seem that America's shit is sufficiently stirred. Perhaps it's time to put our collective efforts into things that will un-stir it.

Last edited:
No I wouldn’t because the only the crappiest players on his team would have a problem w a coach wearing a BLM shirt. Read it on Breitbart, racists are horrible athletes and among the laziest in society. :)
Horrible athletes run the world, they don’t get bogged down by all this sh*t.

This is only the beginning. They're canceling Aunt Jemima, now. I thought, for sure, Mr. Clean would have to go first, for obvious reasons. Not going to apologize for loving that syrup over the years!

I'm glad to hear the RB apologized for not just reaching out to Gundy before he went the social media route but after hearing Gundy's "apology" i'm back to hoping the kid gets blackballed by the NFL and has to get a job in the real world and then maybe he'll realize how great he had it as a star RB at a P5 school on full scholly and that there are more important things to worry about than your coaches fishing attire.

I'm glad to hear the RB apologized for not just reaching out to Gundy before he went the social media route but after hearing Gundy's "apology" i'm back to hoping the kid gets blackballed by the NFL and has to get a job in the real world and then maybe he'll realize how great he had it as a star RB at a P5 school on full scholly and that there are more important things to worry about than your coaches fishing attire.

Let me get this straight. People are behind OSU's rentention of Gundy because they don't feel like a small mistake made without intent should ruin someone's career. Keep in mind that Gundy has been at this for decades now and has enough money to retire comfortably tomorrow. Still, most feel the man deserves to keep earning and rightly so.

But a 21-year-old man less than half his age makes a mistake in overreacting due to emotion (ever do that when you were 21?), actually acknowledged the mistake and owns up to it with a public apology, and you still feel that all of his earning potential should be taken away forever?

This was also a kid that decided to forgo the 2020 Draft to return to OSU. If it was all about him, he could have cashed in already. His decision to return would seem to reveal a mature young man and great teammate who has his priorities in order.

But still, blackballed? Okay.

Let me get this straight. People are behind OSU's rentention of Gundy because they don't feel like a small mistake made without intent should ruin someone's career. Keep in mind that Gundy has been at this for decades now and has enough money to retire comfortably tomorrow. Still, most feel the man deserves to keep earning and rightly so.

But a 21-year-old man less than half his age makes a mistake in overreacting due to emotion (ever do that when you were 21?), actually acknowledged the mistake and owns up to it with a public apology, and you still feel that all of his earning potential should be taken away forever?

This was also a kid that decided to forgo the 2020 Draft to return to OSU. If it was all about him, he could have cashed in already. His decision to return would seem to reveal a mature young man and great teammate who has his priorities in order.

But still, blackballed? Okay.

Yes. Still. I feel the exact same way about several news stations this RB feels about OAN, but recognize it's people's right to tune in, and I'm not into people bullying me or anyone else with this mob mentality that I have to think and watch and feel the exact same way as whoever is making the beef feels.

It’s amazing what people consider a “difficult” life to be these days.

The only reason Gundy has a job is because of black lives. The least he could do is be a little aware of the propaganda his new favorite channel puts out and see the immediate conflict of interest when it comes to that movement.
The only reason he has a job is because of black lives? You are radical and think of everything through a racist lense. You are part of the very loud, angry, minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT