ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Gundy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2012
How can we have a 4 page thread on Iowa troubles, but then knuckleheads get a similar one locked on OSU in 20 posts?

Can we try again? If not, mods, please just delete mine.

Gundy is looking to be in trouble. He is a man though.

Peace

Gundy should keep his job, but coaches have to get players to want to play for them. They have to recruit talent, build teamwork & chemistry, motivate, and all of that good stuff. Gundy is good at football X's and O's, but he is a certified dumb@ss. He always has been. Gundy is not smart enough to realize that in his field he needs to keep his political views private. Wearing that shirt promotes those right wing views. It isn't the first time. He was either stupid or careless, but given his arrogance he was probably both.

Gundy needs to make some sort of amends otherwise I predict that he will lose his team this year. His team will under perform. And going forward, opposing teams will use this against him in recruiting.

Last edited:
Gundy should keep his job, but coaches have to get players to want to play for them. They have to recruit talent, build teamwork & chemistry, motivate, and all of that good stuff. Gundy is good at football X's and O's, but he is a certified dumb@ss. He always has been. Gundy is not smart enough to realize that in his field he needs to keep his political views private. Wearing that shirt promotes those right wing views. It isn't the first time. He was either stupid or careless, but given his arrogance he was probably both.

Gundy needs to make some sort of amends otherwise I predict that he will lose his team this year. His team will under perform. And going forward, opposing teams will use this against him in recruiting.
If Gundy treats his players well then what's the issue? This was way overblown and dumb.

Before Gundy's ill fated decision to not check with his star RB about what t-shirt he could wear while fishing with his sons on the weekend at the lake, he was considered a players coach and by all accounts they loved him. The RB causing the trouble here even chose to come back and play for him and passed on a shot at the NFL. I cannot help but wonder if you are a GM at the next level if you want to willingly sign a guy who uses social media to harass a coach because of his choice of t-shirts on his own private time. I know he'd be off my board.

Before Gundy's ill fated decision to not check with his star RB about what t-shirt he could wear while fishing with his sons on the weekend at the lake, he was considered a players coach and by all accounts they loved him. The RB causing the trouble here even chose to come back and play for him and passed on a shot at the NFL. I cannot help but wonder if you are a GM at the next level if you want to willingly sign a guy who uses social media to harass a coach because of his choice of t-shirts on his own private time. I know he'd be off my board.
The player ended up apologizing.

"I went about it the wrong way by tweeting. I'm not someone who has to tweet something to make a change. I should have went to him (Gundy) as a man. I'm all about action so that was bad on my part." - Chuba

If he's a good enough player he'll still get drafted.

Reactions: Swiv3D and kakdawg
If Gundy treats his players well then what's the issue? This was way overblown and dumb.
That's the point. Apparently there's a segment of his players who have not been treated well. As a coach, Gundy can either recognize that or say it's "overblown and dumb." We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Reactions: kakdawg

"I went about it the wrong way by tweeting. I'm not someone who has to tweet something to make a change. I should have went to him (Gundy) as a man. I'm all about action so that was bad on my part." - Chuba

I did not know he did that and kudos to him, and thanks for sharing this.

Reactions: HuskerO
That's the point. Apparently there's a segment of his players who have not been treated well. As a coach, Gundy can either recognize that or say it's "overblown and dumb." We'll see how it goes, I guess.
I didn't say that if he doesn't treat his players well then it's "overblown and dumb".

I do not believe Gundy is considered a beloved players coach, I had always thought it was exactly the opposite. Having said that, he is a heck of a football coach.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I do not believe Gundy is considered a beloved players coach, I had always thought it was exactly the opposite. Having said that, he is a heck of a football coach.

i thought the same as far as the players go, but i guess his antics have lost a lot of love over the years.
its unfortunate. while i think he can be an idiot at times, he's been damn successful.

Reactions: headcard

If he went to Gundy wearing a shirt with this on it, what would happen?
https://www.bing.com/images/search?
view=detailV2&ccid=ToGfan%2BU&id=BB8551DA2899EA0F73EC62646E10587F23501C75&thid=OIP.ToGfan-UKDUPATGePkAoIgHaHa&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2F03e87d029672f541696efa126bcedecc.1000x1000x1.jpg&exph=1000&expw=1000&q=Kendrick+pimp+butterfly&simid=608051589490281055&ck=23BBFB76D30A69ED1D5DB1830C656295&selectedindex=1&vt=1&eim=1,3,4,6,8,10,18&sim=0

From what I've been able to take in over the past several years, Gundy is more than a little thick in the head. I would not want him to be the coach of the team I follow.

Reactions: tpmcg
Gundy is not smart enough to realize that in his field he needs to keep his political views private. Wearing that shirt promotes those right wing views. It isn't the first time. He was either stupid or careless, but given his arrogance he was probably both.

Would you say that if he had a BLM shirt on...I guess some ideas are more equal than others.

Go Blue!

Good for him that is a stand up move for a young man.

Go Blue!

Reactions: HuskerO
So, all of this over a shirt? That didn't even have anything sexist/racist/anything-ist on it? Just the logo of a news service alot of people don't like? Wow.

More like a false info and conspiracy-spewing site (not a real news service) that has repeatedly taken a huge dump on the Black Lives Matter movement. Calling it "right wing" is an insult to right wingers. It's extreme-right click bait.

Given the climate we're in, showing support for an anti-BLM platform is understandably not going to sit well with the black community. Gundy's inability to connect those dots says a lot.

Especially when your job involves leading/motivating/inspiring a large number of young, African-American men, many of which are outraged right now with emotions running high, wearing a shirt that they equate as the BLM logo with a slash through it is beyond tone deaf. It shows a real lack of engagement with his players.

I don't think Gundy was aware or intended any offense, but he gets paid a whole lot of money to know better. Even if only to protect recruiting, a head coach has to be more aware of the social climate of their football "family."

More like a false info and conspiracy-spewing site (not a real news service) that has repeatedly taken a huge dump on the Black Lives Matter movement. Calling it "right wing" is an insult to right wingers. It's extreme-right click bait.

Given the climate we're in, showing support for an anti-BLM platform is understandably not going to sit well with the black community. Gundy's inability to connect those dots says a lot.

Especially when your job involves leading/motivating/inspiring a large number of young, African-American men, many of which are outraged right now with emotions running high, wearing a shirt that they equate as the BLM logo with a slash through it is beyond tone deaf. It shows a real lack of engagement with his players.

I don't think Gundy was aware or intended any offense, but he gets paid a whole lot of money to know better. Even if only to protect recruiting, a head coach has to be more aware of the social climate of their football "family."
Bingo. I like a few different news sources, I don't wear their shirts and then post my picture to my company's social media. I know damn well we serve people who would regard that as a poke in the eye, I can do without that conversation in my workplace.

He knows full well who OAN supports and that he's sending a message when he puts that on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT