ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Dawson on the radio...

Chief Wiggum

Sophomore
Sep 29, 2001
Mike Dawson on the radio tonight: "They're going to try to run and we're going to try to stop it. That's going to be the big deal."

Statements like that really make me want to cry. That's what they used to say about us, now they say it about a non-descript, pedestrian team like Iowa.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Mike Dawson on the radio tonight: "They're going to try to run and we're going to try to stop it. That's going to be the big deal."

Statements like that really make me want to cry. That's what they used to say about us, now they say it about a non-descript, pedestrian team like Iowa.
I’m nervous about not having Miller just because Reimer, Heinrich, Snodgrass are left to replace him who have played the ILB spot, and they’re young. Honas isn’t the most vocal, and we saw Reiner dinged up last week.
Our OLB’s have not been exceptional by any stretch. That second level behind the DL will need to play one helluva game if they wanna get a W.

Last edited:
I’m nervous about not having Miller just because Reimer, Heinrich, Snodgrass are left to replace him who have played the ILB spot, and their young. Honas isn’t the most vocal and we saw Reiner dinged up last week.
Our OLB’s have not been exceptional by any stretch. That second level behind the DL will need to play one helluva game if they wanna get a W.
I think the defensive line will be much more important than the linebackers. So far this year, we've put our pass rushing linemen in, but have kept our run stoppers on the bench. We're going to need those bigger bodies to play a lot more minutes in this game if we're to have any chance at success.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Iowa and Wisconsin are two teams who are going tp essentially broadcast their offensive game plan and - to the surprise of no one - its the same plan that they announced the previous 20 years: line-up five horses on the LOS and hand the ball off to a RB 45 times with instructions to follow their blocking. Throw a Fullback and a couple Tight Ends into the cause also and the WRs better be able to maintain blocks also or they can watch from the sidelines. The main wrinkle is a fake handoff and pass to the TE or WR who (surprise!) isn't blocking that play but actually running a pass route.. Its power run football, play-action pass, and stop us if you can.

The above is an oversimplification because both teams strive to achieve a P/R "balance" but there should be little doubt that each team and others (Minnesota and Michigan, e.g.) believe that winning the game means winning the line of scrimmage battle and pounding the shit out of the opponent on the ground for 4 quarters if they can.

The bad news is most teams can. Nebraska's defense is giving up around 220 run yards per game - one of the worst if not the worst run defense in the conference. That is why the Huskers are 13 point underdogs.

An interesting use of adjectives to describe Iowa. Not accurate, but interesting. While message board fans are message board fans, the reality is Iowa was one play away from the CFP. That recent level of success is neither non-descript, nor pedestrian, and describes very few teams since the inception of the CFP.

While Nebraska continues to recruit speed, and with some success, Nebraska should also probably try to copy some of the characteristics of "non-descript, pedestrian" teams. Such as LOS play.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Prediction.
We will not stop their running game.

“We will not stop their running enough”

Fixed it for you ...Key is stoping them enough on First and second downs so it is’s 3 and 1 or 2 like it been in all our other games this year...Just might help playing 3 DT‘s instead of 5 linebacker that could be a recipe for success.

We can’t afford to turn the ball over and give them opportunities like we have in the past 2 years..

Fixed it for you ...Key is stoping them enough on First and second downs so it is’s 3 and 1 or 2 like it been in all our other games this year...

We can’t afford to turn the ball over and give them opportunities like we have in the past 2 years..
Ha. Thanks for fixing it. Your version is better. But I do expect at least two running plays by Iowa over 30 yards.

Reactions: TFrazier
Nebraska is in for a very long day. Iowa will do everything they can to humiliate Nebraska and I think it will be one of Nebraska's worst losses in history. Just my prediction.

Reactions: oldjar07
What? Nebraska gave up 7.2 yards per carry vs. Iowa last year. Yeah, that includes a couple of long runs but it also includes a couple QB sneaks. You want to hold opponents at 4 ypc or better. Iowa is allowing less than 3 ypc so far this year.

They had 100 yards on two plays, one of them a reverse that I would not count as their base run game. Other than those two plays for TDs, Iowa had two other scoring drives for field goals. One was a 13 play, 41 yard drive. The other was the final drive which was passing. So they basically had one base run play in the whole game that actually hurt us.

They had 100 yards on two plays, one of them a reverse that I would not count as their base run game. Other than those two plays for TDs, Iowa had two other scoring drives for field goals. One was a 13 play, 41 yard drive. The other was the final drive which was passing. So they basically had one base run play in the whole game that actually hurt us.

Yet Iowa still won the game because Nebraska couldn’t stop Iowa when it needed to. Not likely anything changes this year and worse...Nebraska brings in an offense that has trouble scoring points. :(

Reactions: oldjar07
Yet Iowa still won the game because Nebraska couldn’t stop Iowa when it needed to. Not likely anything changes this year and worse...Nebraska brings in an offense that has trouble scoring points. :(

Correct, we lost because our offense sucked last year. I wouldn't expect that to change tomorrow.

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't imaging something that didn't happen so I checked the box score from the 2019 game ........ excluding the 45 yard run by the WR, Iowa's 3 RBs (Goodson, Sargent, Young) totaled 24 carries for 177 yards = 7.4 ypc. None of the big gains by the Iowa RBs were gimmick plays, just your standard Iowa stretch plays. And its not like 2019 was an anomaly either - Iowa has rushed for 225 yards or more in 4 of the last 5 games against the Huskers, all losses.

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't imaging something that didn't happen so I checked the box score from the 2019 game ........ excluding the 45 yard run by the WR, Iowa's 3 RBs (Goodson, Sargent, Young) totaled 24 carries for 177 yards = 7.4 ypc. None of the big gains by the Iowa RBs were gimmick plays, just your standard Iowa stretch plays. And its not like 2019 was an anomaly either - Iowa has rushed for 225 yards or more in 4 of the last 5 games against the Huskers, all losses.

The RB had 4 rushes over 10 yards, 3 of which were in the first quarter. The last 3 quarters of the game, Iowa basically did nothing on offense.

Fixed it for you ...Key is stoping them enough on First and second downs so it is’s 3 and 1 or 2 like it been in all our other games this year...Just might help playing 3 DT‘s instead of 5 linebacker that could be a recipe for success.

Why not go to a 5-2 when it's obvious that Iowa is trying to run it down our throats? Their offensive line has overpowered our defensive line for several years in a row and I don't see that changing if we continue to play 3 down linemen against their 6 or 7 blockers on every play.

Reactions: ShaggynScooby
Nebraska is in for a very long day. Iowa will do everything they can to humiliate Nebraska and I think it will be one of Nebraska's worst losses in history. Just my prediction.
I don't think Iowa will hand Nebraska one of it's worst losses in history. The only team that has stopped Iowa's running game this year was Northwestern. Iowa ran good against Purdue, but had to many penalties and turned the ball over to many times in their loss. The past two or three years Iowa has had trouble running the ball against just about everyone in the BiG, and I believe were in the last half of the BiG in rushing. This year, they haven't had trouble running the ball. So, if Nebraska can slow it down, I give them a shot since Spencer Petras is still young and has been very inconsistent at QB. So, it they can make Iowa have to throw, it all depends on whether Petras is ready to step up. If I were Nebraska's DC, I would load up and make Petras beat you, which I would be surprised if they didn't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT