ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Cavanaugh to Syracuse as OL Coach

Here comes "Orange Crushed."
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I just want UN to have a well coached line. Tired of players embarrassing them selves.
Good luck coach Cav.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Good luck to the coach. It didn't work out in Nebraska, we've had almost two decades of that. If he does well in Syracuse good for him. If he doesn't Well not so good for him.

I like Syracuse in basketball. I wish Cav on them in football.

How does this guy stay employed? This guy couldn't coach a youth flag football team.
For me I am giving the assistants the benefit of doubt. In the trenches especially how do you get better without full out contact and plenty of reps.

I don't care what Cavanaugh has told the press because they all sang the tune of the HC and he is a loyal soldier.

All of this tells me that if you have some coaching skills there will always be a job somewhere. There must be a shortage of really good position coaches. Or maybe he is better than the results at Nebraska showed.

I think when you see the quick turnaround in our OLine play next season you'll realize that this part of the post was way off.

Funny how Riley coaches are finding decent jobs and Bo’s staff didn’t
OC at Ohio State and DC at North Carolina State are pretty good gigs. Cotton is doing a terrific job at UNLV.

EDIT add in Warren and Els as DC at Purdue

Eight of the nine assistants took positions at other schools over an assortment of hiring dates after the 2014 Holiday Bowl, affecting the totals that each were paid. The last of those happened in January with Ross Els joining the Purdue staff as defensive coordinator and Rich Fisher becoming head coach at a California high school.

Last edited:
I read an article a week ago or so that was an interview with Aaron Taylor. Probably right after his HOF induction. Anyway... he said Cavanaugh was a hell of a good coach. He blamed our line's woes on Lang's offense. He said it lacked an identity which hampers olineman worse than you might think, he said. So he had high praise for Cavanaugh and trashed Langs.

Take that for what it's worth. I wish coach Cavanaugh well. I will always thank him for the respect he showed Milt

I read an article a week ago or so that was an interview with Aaron Taylor. Probably right after his HOF induction. Anyway... he said Cavanaugh was a hell of a good coach. He blamed our line's woes on Lang's offense. He said it lacked an identity which hampers olineman worse than you might think, he said. So he had high praise for Cavanaugh and trashed Langs.

Take that for what it's worth. I wish coach Cavanaugh well. I will always thank him for the respect he showed Milt

Like many...I have been critical of Coach Cavanaugh and the performance of his offensive line. It is so easy to do when sitting behind a keyboard.

With that said, he did show respect and always welcomed Coach Tenopir on the sidelines during practice. Sometimes we forget the admirable qualities of a coach when solely focusing on the on field results.

Last edited:
OC at Ohio State and DC at North Carolina State are pretty good gigs. Cotton is doing a terrific job at UNLV.

EDIT add in Warren and Els as DC at Purdue

Eight of the nine assistants took positions at other schools over an assortment of hiring dates after the 2014 Holiday Bowl, affecting the totals that each were paid. The last of those happened in January with Ross Els joining the Purdue staff as defensive coordinator and Rich Fisher becoming head coach at a California high school.
I said multiple times that last season that we would have been better off if we had canned Bo and retained the rest of the staff with any of several guys on that staff as the head coach. Barney or Beck would have been better head coaches than Bo IMO. Beck especially with his organizational skills and recruiting chops could have been successful IMO. We've had some pretty darned good OCs that have taken a lot of abuse while putting up some pretty good offensive numbers, Langsdorf included. I am not surprised that Barney, Garrison, Warren and Fisher are doing well. Fisher has found his level IMO.

Like many...I have been critical of Coach Cavanaugh and the performance of his offensive line. It is so easy to do when sitting behind a keyboard.

With that said, he did show respect and always welcomed Coach Tenopir on the sidelines during practice. Sometimes we forget the admirable qualities of a coach when solely focusing on the on field results.
I suspect Cav will do just fine in his new job. He hopefully won't have to start several freshmen and walk on underclassmen too many times at Syracuse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT