ADVERTISEMENT

Might be bad sign if Frost doesn't get at least 8 wins

College football is not the same game it was 10 or 15 years ago. We have to build a program from the ground up. This wont be a quick fix

Yes, but you get the idea. Finishing year 1 with 4-6 wins is not ideal for a championship level coach.

NU doesn't follow a championship schedule....and honestly people would be happy if we had the success of wisconsin and did it with class. T.O got 22 years...
Over the last 20 years 20 coaches have finished 1st or 2nd. I have included what their first year record was. What their first 2 game record was and how many years it took them with their team to finish 1st or 2nd.

Coach- Team- 1st record- 2 game record- Years it took to finish 1st or 2nd
Phillip Fulmer- Tenn- 10-2 2-0 7years
Bobby Bowden- Fl St 5-6 0-2 12 years
Frank Beamer - V tech 2-9 0-2 12 years
Bob Stoops- Okla 7-5 0-2 2 years
Larry Coker - Miami 12-0 2-0 1 year
Jim Tressel- Ohio St 7-5 1-1 2 years
Nick Saban LSU 8-4 2-0 4 years
Pete Carrol USC 6-6 1-1 4 years
Mack Brown Texas 9-3 1-1 8 years
Urban Myer FL 9-3 2-0 2 years
Les Miles LSU 11-2 1-1 3 years
Nick Saban Bama 7-6 2-0 3 years
Gene Chizik Auburn 8-5 2-0 2 years
Chip Kelley Oregon 8-5 1-1 2 years
Brian Kelley ND 8-5 1-1 3 years
Jimbo Fishcher FL St 10-4 1-1 4 years
Urban Myer Ohio St 12-0 2-0 3 years
Mark Helfrich Oregon 11-2 2-0 2years
Dabo Swinney Clemson 9-5 1-1 8 years
Kirby Smart Georgia 8-5 2-0 2 years

Average win loss record year 1 8-4 Average first 2 game record 1-1. Average years to finish 1 or 2 4years.
So it isn't the end of the world that we started 0-2. History says Frost needs to probably hit that 8 win mark to stay in line with what history says is a championship level coach.

I am not saying Frost is going anywhere. He shouldn't, Nebraska was a dumpster fire and he needs time to get it turned around. He is Nebraska last hope, and he needs to be given as much time as possible to attempt to get this right.

1. 30% of those dudes didn't win 8 games...
2. 14 dudes did win 8 games... Mark Helfrich, Larry Cocker, Gene Chizik were failed coaches..Brian Kelley and Kirby Smart, Jimbo are still undecided...some of the dudes on the list took over exceptionally talented teams... or even took over for other dudes on the list...I noticed Frank wasn't on the list...even though he finish 2nd in 2001...
3. So what you are saying is 11 out of 20 championship coaches won 8 games and became legendary coaches or coaches we would accept at NU...which is 55% Only 14 of those dudes would be acceptable by our long term standards. 7 of them won 8 games, 7 of them did not. So it is basically a coin flip or scientifically inconsequential. Even winning only 2 games doesn't mean anything because there is precedent...
4. Another reason all your work was pointless is that the first year is a single data point that is corrupted by strength of schedule, depth, and injuries. More research is needed. A valid comparison would be:

-Coach has to take over team that finishes in the bottom third of college football
-Team did not have any draft picks or all conference players from previous year
-Team loses all scholarship qbs
-Team hasn't won conference title or been to major bowl in 18 years

I bet Beamer and Bowden were in this category...none of the other coaches fall in this category...whatsoever. This is why Scott got a 7 year deal...the N on the helmet hit an all-time low last Thanksgiving.

"Might be bad sign if Frost doesn't get at least 8 wins."

Or...it might just be that you had too much time on your hands this morning when researching this post, and you created a narrative that means very little.

Over the last 20 years 20 coaches have finished 1st or 2nd. I have included what their first year record was. What their first 2 game record was and how many years it took them with their team to finish 1st or 2nd.

Average win loss record year 1 8-4 Average first 2 game record 1-1. Average years to finish 1 or 2 4years.
So it isn't the end of the world that we started 0-2. History says Frost needs to probably hit that 8 win mark to stay in line with what history says is a championship level coach.

I am not saying Frost is going anywhere. He shouldn't, Nebraska was a dumpster fire and he needs time to get it turned around. He is Nebraska last hope, and he needs to be given as much time as possible to attempt to get this right.

Statistical nonsense.

If Frost does well, he’ll have done well. If he doesn’t, he will not have done well.

He is indeed THE last hope, but if he gets 8 wins, I'm buying 5 rounds for everybody !!!

Reactions: husker2612
Re5cWC.png

This team also appears to need some extra mental strength and conditioning based on all of the mental errors Coach Frost keeps mentioning at the post game press conferences.

cerebro.jpg
I wish Frost would focus on this more. He seems to put a huge emphasis on playing with energy, but our guys need to play smart as well. I'd honestly like to see the music cut out of practice for awhile and have our players more focused on their assignments, etc.

Didn’t Frost go 6-6 his first year then earn a share of the NC the next lol? I mean, that’s a pretty important exception to your rule considering he’s our coach now
According to the polls and playoffs he did not.

According to the polls and playoffs he did not.

Ya but he also took over a team with a ton of young talent (3 are now starters in the NFL). Also hit a HR with Milton. But lets be honest his core players came from school no further than 2 hours away (except for KZ). You have speed everywhere in the HS's in Florida and its much easier to recruit it when you can drive to do it on a weekday afternoon.

And how many of those were coaches that 1) took over program in the toilet; 2) had their first game cancelled; 3) lost their starting QB to injury in week 1; 4) had their 2nd string QB transfer before the season started; and 5) play the ridiculous schedule NU has this season? History isn't saying what you think it says.

In two years, I will expect winning seasons. I've left my expectations behind. We have the coach. He needs time. I have no expectations except for the Huskers doing their best. That would be a big step in the right direction.

I expect Bo Pelini records, win 40% of games against the top 25, and keep game close against top 10 teams...and give good sound bites and respect the fans and media. And give us a chance to care in december about every 5 years. I maintain most fans were happy with Bo product until he lost his mind and his team got embarrassed time and time against on national t.v.

I expect Bo Pelini records, win 40% of games against the top 25, and keep game close against top 10 teams...and give good sound bites and respect the fans and media. And give us a chance to care in december about every 5 years. I maintain most fans were happy with Bo product until he lost his mind and his team got embarrassed time and time against on national t.v.

phuck that.

Imagine if we were the Goddamn Browns, praying for a win tonight.

Why did I hit that ML in-game?

Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT