ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey on the QB situation this week

mgbreis

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 16, 2004
I didn't hear Mickey say it, but according to the Journal Star:

"If Thompson can’t go, Joseph said he’ll make a decision on Thursday whether Chubba Purdy or Logan Smothers will get the nod. Joseph wants to watch both quarterbacks practice before making a decision."

I'm not going to rake MJ over the coals about this, because I was the one saying last week that it would be dumb to let an opponent know who was starting. Having said that, Purdy can't start can he? Haven't we endured enough? On this board, where we can't agree about anything - surely there isn't even ONE person who would want to see more of Purdy.

"If Thompson can’t go, Joseph said he’ll make a decision on Thursday whether Chubba Purdy or Logan Smothers will get the nod. Joseph wants to watch both quarterbacks practice before making a decision."

I'm not going to rake MJ over the coals about this, because I was the one saying last week that it would be dumb to let an opponent know who was starting. Having said that, Purdy can't start can he? Haven't we endured enough? On this board, where we can't agree about anything - surely there isn't even ONE person who would want to see more of Purdy.
Looked great for a little while

If it means maximizing our chances of having a healthy CT and Smothers for the Wisconsin and Iowa games then I'm fine throwing Purdy to the wolve(rine)s

When your two choices are bad and a different kind of bad, you are stuck with bad no matter which way you go. That makes it a tough choice…no matter how much people bitched about MJ and his QB choices last week, either way was a crap shoot. Chubba got them to 10, so I can see them hoping and wishing(😳) that he could get a few more even going 3 and out for the second half.

If Purdy sees the field I'm confident he will be given a short rope to prove he can produce.

If CT can play I think we all know the Wolverine's game plan will be to hit him early & often.

Some of the sports talk dudes yesterday were mentioning that Smothers can preserve a redshirt to potentially transfer, based on how much he has played so far. Not sure if the coaches would agree to his wishes, but who knows?

• Wow
Reactions: NikkiSixx

There are 9 QB's on the roster.

Take out CT and Purdy and that leaves 7.

Purdy has demonstrated in more than one game that he's not capable of executing a forward pass.

You mean to tell me that 7 QB's on our roster are worse at playing QB than what we saw on Saturday? 7 QB's in our program are zero threat whatsoever to get a first down?

If that's the case, what are they doing here?

Last edited:
There are 9 QB's on the roster.

Take out CT and Purdy and that leaves 7.

Purdy has demonstrated in more than one game that he's not capable of executing a forward pass.

You mean to tell me that 7 QB's on our roster are worse at playing QB than what we saw on Saturday? 7 QB's in our program are zero threat whatsoever to get a first down?

If that's the case, what are they doing here?
who's holding the "get out of jail free" cards and not giving a "wth" by giving a live tryout for those calorie burners on the bench? you will never succeed if you dont try. the looser mentality is epidemic right now.

Reactions: king_kong_
I'd start smothers in the first half, then bring thompson in for the second half..so he's fresh

Reactions: bshirt73
How would watching practice help Mickey? We know that Purdy will look much better than Logan in Practice but then shit his pants when it comes to actually showing up for a game. I guess at least we will be wearing red pants so harder to tell by his teammates that he actually shit his pants .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dylman
You should watch more football
He isn’t wrong. I think 2009 Jamarcus Russell is kind of known as the worst QB season in the 21st century. Jamarcus actually currently had a better QB rating then Purdy.

I hope for Chubba he quits football or at least at this level. Something causing someone so much nervousness can’t be good. Can you imagine the anxiety the Big House will due to the young man. Hope he brings hair color with him.

When it comes to Purdy, that is “Whip’s guy.” It appears that “being someone’s guy” is the one and only criteria taken into consideration when it comes to playing time at QB. It’s really mind boggling.

In the end, will it really matter? One or both are likely to get creamed/hurt by Michigan because of our OL. Purdy in poor position backpeddlaing and Smothers running must have Michigan defenders licking their chops.

unless Logan goes down this weekend, we will never see Purdy take another snap as a husker.
Purdy has already used his get out of jail free card and the transfer waiver if your head coach gets fired I think has to be used within 30 days if the guy getting canned

Reactions: Wasker77
Is Masker injured? Or is he being overlooked?
Masker is not injured. And he’s a very good player but is not “their guy” so he will not be considered as an option. It’s the politics of D1 football and that is the bottom line. This program can’t be allowing a walk-on an opportunity over scholarship guys regardless of talent. End of story.

Masker is not injured. And he’s a very good player but is not “their guy” so he will not be considered as an option. It’s the politics of D1 football and that is the bottom line. This program can’t be allowing a walk-on an opportunity over scholarship guys regardless of talent. End of story.
So you are saying the coaches would rather lose than play some players?

So you are saying the coaches would rather lose than play some players?
You’ve seen how Purdy has performed and they just keep running him out there. Wouldn’t you think trying another guy (when Smothers is ineffective as well) would make sense? I’m telling you Whip will go down with the ship playing “his guy.”. It’s what we’ve been watching the last two games. It’s an ego thing that they have to prove their worth by showing everyone how good “their guy” is……even when everyone else can see it’s not working.

Reactions: Wasker77 and Dylman
You’ve seen how Purdy has performed and they just keep running him out there. Wouldn’t you think trying another guy (when Smothers is ineffective as well) would make sense? I’m telling you Whip will go down with the ship playing “his guy.”. It’s what we’ve been watching the last two games. It’s an ego thing that they have to prove their worth by showing everyone how good “their guy” is……even when everyone else can see it’s not working.
You might be right. If that’s the case it’s ironic that continuing to play Purdy makes Whip and MJ look dumb. So I guess in a way it does prove their worth, just not in a good way.

If it ain't Thompson (and for all we know, he's a probable for Saturday), why give away which backup will play. To the extent Michigan has to prepare much, make them prepare for both possibilities.

Unfortunately at this point, and I'm sad to have to say this, I don't think it's going to matter very much who the QB is for the rest of the season as to the final W-L record. This season is an unmitigated disaster (again).

Unfortunately at this point, and I'm sad to have to say this, I don't think it's going to matter very much who the QB is for the rest of the season as to the final W-L record. This season is an unmitigated disaster (again).
This Saturday for sure. But Iowa and Wisconsin? Not exactly unbeatable unless Purdy is playing. It's pointless, but getting one or two wins to end the season would be a better vibe than the alternative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT