ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey Joseph Hasn’t Made the Case

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
I think some viewed me as being a huge supporter of Mickey Joseph getting the head coaching job beyond this year. I actually just wanted him to have the opportunity and there’s a difference. I wanted him to earn it, and he really hasn’t.

I think the only thing that has improved is team morale. Aside from Trey Palmer’s heroics, there is nothing special about any aspect of our team.

Mickey Joseph would represent us well, he is one of us, and he is extremely likable. He is also hard working and likely would be an excellent recruiter (based on his past success).

If his interim label is removed, I would support him with apprehension. Our team is pitiful, and I don’t know that he really has done anything to earn the job.

I think some viewed me as being a huge supporter of Mickey Joseph getting the head coaching job beyond this year. I actually just wanted him to have the opportunity and there’s a difference. I wanted him to earn it, and he really hasn’t.

I think the only thing that has improved is team morale. Aside from Trey Palmer’s heroics, there is nothing special about any aspect of our team.

Mickey Joseph would represent us well, he is one of us, and he is extremely likable. He is also hard working and likely would be an excellent recruiter (based on his past success).

If his interim label is removed, I would support him with apprehension. Our team is pitiful, and I don’t know that he really has done anything to earn the job.
Mickey was handed a shit sandwich and you expect him to turn it into some gourmet dish? Mickey has already turned this team around, today's loss was simply talent vs lack of talent.

Honest assessment, and I appreciate that. I am or would be a huge supporter of Mickey Joseph succeeding. He is not succeeding as head coach. He does represent us well. I want him to succeed and thrive and turn this around. To make things better. He has not (and probably cannot this year) say or show what he would do different without an interim tag. Could it get better? Sure but I could say the same thing if Warren Buffet or John Cook were given the HC position. There is no evidence to merit such a move. Absent an epiphany type change, he is a caretaker who will hopefully be here next year in an Associate HC/Receivers/Recruiting role alongside a proven winner of a HC.

I don’t understand how people can expect a change in head coach to be a complete flip. This isn’t play station where a better play caller results in wins. He can’t fix poor tackling, poor discipline, poor conditioning, poor talent, and numerous issues overnight. There’s no in season answer to most of our issues. He’s gotten better effort out of the guys, that’s about the best you can hope for. He can’t conjure up a pair of all big ten OT’s, increase our LB speed, create a pass rush, and develop a back up qb over 4 weeks in season. This fan base is absurd at times

Our defense is better than it was before MJ took over.

I have the impression that our AD wants to give the job to Joseph. However, his losses are making it a tougher sell.
Lol no way. The Nebraska AD position is tied to the football coach. Make a bad hire and you will be fired even sooner than your bad hire will be. Alberts is a smart guy who knows this and wouldn't do some experimental hire.

I don’t understand how people can expect a change in head coach to be a complete flip. This isn’t play station where a better play caller results in wins. He can’t fix poor tackling, poor discipline, poor conditioning, poor talent, and numerous issues overnight. There’s no in season answer to most of our issues. He’s gotten better effort out of the guys, that’s about the best you can hope for. He can’t conjure up a pair of all big ten OT’s, increase our LB speed, create a pass rush, and develop a back up qb over 4 weeks in season. This fan base is absurd at times
He doesn’t really have a head coaching record or even prominent coordinator record to assess outside of this interim year.

The case for Joseph is all conjecture and wishcasting.

Mickey was handed a shit sandwich and you expect him to turn it into some gourmet dish? Mickey has already turned this team around, today's loss was simply talent vs lack of talent.
I don’t expect him to do anything other than to do the best he can as the interim coach. He’s not getting this job.

Same thing everyone said when HCSF was struggling for 5 years. It's Rileys fault. Come on man.

What has he done to earn the job though? If you still want him to be HC at this point then you always did. Getting a bad team to play harder or more motivated does not mean you should be the head coach. Those are bare minimum expectations.

Reactions: HuskerLegion
I have the impression that our AD wants to give the job to Joseph. However, his losses are making it a tougher sell.
If you have that impression then Trev has done a nice job handling this tough transition. Trev has complimented Mickey and the rest of the staff for their hard work and properly given them carte blanche to run the team and try to earn the gig. Nothing beyond that as far as I can tell. Trev is turning over rocks buried under rocks to find the right coach from my perspective.

If you have that impression then Trev has done a nice job handling this tough transition. Trev has complimented Mickey and the rest of the staff for their hard work and properly given them carte blanche to run the team and try to earn the gig. Nothing beyond that as far as I can tell. Trev is turning over rocks buried under rocks to find the right coach from my perspective.

Good. I want a thorough search and merit-based hire.

No. This was developed talent vs undeveloped talent. That isnt on MJ. However everything that has happened since MJ was made the interim HC is part of his audition for the job. Is 3-9 or 4-8 good enough?

Reactions: Matrix Husker

In what way has he turned the team around? Two blowout losses, one close loss, and two close wins against terrible teams. How is that any better than the results that Frost produced?

He doesn’t really have a head coaching record or even prominent coordinator record to assess outside of this interim year.

The case for Joseph is all conjecture and wishcasting.
To be clear, I have never advocated MJ for HC. I just think that judging MJ’s fitness based on his ability to turn around a dumpster fire midstream is ludicrous. Either he’s the best guy for the job or he’s not. But his ability to conjure up a competent back up qb mid game vs Illinois or morphing turn style OT’s into draft picks shouldn’t be part of the process.

Reactions: dinglefritz
In what way has he turned the team around? Two blowout losses, one close loss, and two close wins against terrible teams. How is that any better than the results that Frost produced?
MJ was in no way responsible for forming this team. He’s been here less than a year. This years dumpster fire has taken years to create and can’t be fixed simply by changing a head coach mid season with the same assistants…

Wrong frost would have lost to Rutgers he Had lost the team after the Georgia southern game

Lol no way. The Nebraska AD position is tied to the football coach. Make a bad hire and you will be fired even sooner than your bad hire will be. Alberts is a smart guy who knows this and wouldn't do some experimental hire.
Trev has made it plain that he’s looking for a grinder, “someone that doesn’t have hobbies”. I believe Corn Nation interviewed IHCMJ’s wife asking if he wanted the job. Along with saying yes, she explained how he’s not home because he’s about his job and their kids say “there’s Dad on tv”. There are NO coaches that can step in at this point and guarantee victory. Other than Urban, all the coaches in mention for the HC position don’t have Natty’s or CF playoff experience, so they’re all an experimental hire. For MJ to Trev it’s going to come down to coaching replacements, recruiting, and vision.

I don't envy the guy, that's for sure. He's in a tough position. We as fans are as well when we evaluate him. Who knows what Trev is thinking. This is really a mess right now. It's just wait and see.

MJ was in no way responsible for forming this team. He’s been here less than a year. This years dumpster fire has taken years to create and can’t be fixed simply by changing a head coach mid season with the same assistants…

OK...but what has he done to make people think he should be the permanent head coach? Where is the player development?

OK...but what has he done to make people think he should be the permanent head coach? Where is the player development?
Player development in a month? With the same assistants? What do you expect? Guys don’t get bigger, stronger and faster in a month mid season. Expecting a new head coach midseadon with the same assistants to develop players is ridiculous. He’s gotten buy in and increased effort. That’s all you can ask for when you have multiple areas with talent deficiencies. You can’t conjure up talent mid season.

it doesn't have to be.. Alvarez recycled head coaches as needed, but they did have a certain level of success.. I think TA gets more than 1 shot at it personally.

I understand the desire for Joseph. Lots of people are sick of all the hiring and firing, so there is comfort in the charismatic, likable former Osborne player. If your heart, and not your head, made the choice, it would be Joseph.

No he has not made the case. He has no head coaching experience. If you are the owner of a big company, would you promote the janitor to be the next CEO of your company?

Reactions: JRich52806
His point is that naming him is a huge risk. Love the guy and would like to keep him around, but he's strictly a fall back plan. This will be a big fail for Trev if he has this much time and cannot nail down a really good PROVEN coach.

Player development in a month? With the same assistants? What do you expect? Guys don’t get bigger, stronger and faster in a month mid season. Expecting a new head coach midseadon with the same assistants to develop players is ridiculous. He’s gotten buy in and increased effort. That’s all you can ask for when you have multiple areas with talent deficiencies. You can’t conjure up talent mid season.
Sure but why would any of that put him at the front of the line for being hired? Everyone already knows he inherited a shit sandwich. There are coaches out there that have proven they can build programs.

ADVERTISEMENT