ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey Joseph’s Stock Went Up

I saw some kids that cared. I saw some kids that wanted to win.

You know what I liked best? There weren’t any dipshit personnel issues like putting the 3rd string TE out at WR on 3rd down. They seemed to put the guys out there that wanted to play. I saw a lot of new faces. Hopefully this encourages others .

And finally, just how bad was our last staff?? Good lord
We subbed a backup qb in at the 7 yard line and proceeded to give up a defensive touchdown as a result. Not exactly a brilliant personnel decision.

And I like that Joseph didn't make any excuses in his press conference. Frost would have been like "Indiana threw a forward pass and we weren't prepared for that so we had to throw out half our playbook" or the "I don't think we need to change a thing, we just got unlucky with the 25 penalties, 5 fumbles, and 3 missed field goals." Even if he is not our head coach next year it's refreshing to hear someone who has a clue talk.

We subbed a backup qb in at the 7 yard line and proceeded to give up a defensive touchdown as a result. Not exactly a brilliant personnel decision.
It was any ugly win in many respects, but we also made good adjustments at halftime, kept punching back each time we got hit, and had a dramatic defensive improvement. After watching Frost teams meltdown for years, this was a giant step forward.

I really want the penalties cleaned up though.

And I like that Joseph didn't make any excuses in his press conference. Frost would have been like "Indiana threw a forward pass and we weren't prepared for that so we had to throw out half our playbook" or the "I don't think we need to change a thing, we just got unlucky with the 25 penalties, 5 fumbles, and 3 missed field goals."
RollingLaugh

I'd take aranda (texas) and keep mickey (louisiana)....and our rb coach (texas) fisher (florida)

considering coaching and recruiting...if aranda loses a few more games, maybe baylor might not match our bid..

the dc is starting to sell me...maybe start geting to their qb a bit more

Dabo Swinney was a WR coach when hired. Bottom line is the improvement from this team in two weeks is shocking. Indiana isn't a terrible team. They were 3-1 with a win over Illinois and they have some very good athletes. They are not OSU, Michigan, etc, but this Nebraska team was in such disarray they were unlikely to win another game this year.
Mickey Joseph showed he can coach. Frost never had any guts or desire to get after his players, hold his staff accountable, pull struggling players, have players tackle at practice, etc. MJ may well be at the top of my list of potential hires now if we aren't going to hire Urban Meyer. We know he can recruit and we've seen that he can bring payers and staff together. BTW Trey Palmer was the MVP of the game and his presence of the team is entirely because of Joseph.

This was a good start coming off the bye week. There was plenty to like and still PLENTY that did not look good.
I’m curious if this team can continue to grow and show progress. That would really get me thinking about MJ getting an extended audition into next year, something I’ve dismissed thusfar.

Dabo Swinney was a WR coach when hired. Bottom line is the improvement from this team in two weeks is shocking. Indiana isn't a terrible team. They were 3-1 with a win over Illinois and they have some very good athletes. They are not OSU, Michigan, etc, but this Nebraska team was in such disarray they were unlikely to win another game this year.
Mickey Joseph showed he can coach. Frost never had any guts or desire to get after his players, hold his staff accountable, pull struggling players, have players tackle at practice, etc. MJ may well be at the top of my list of potential hires now if we aren't going to hire Urban Meyer. We know he can recruit and we've seen that he can bring payers and staff together. BTW Trey Palmer was the MVP of the game and his presence of the team is entirely because of Joseph.
Small note: I found a lot of irony when Trey was interviewed and said he was able to make a play because he does it in practice….
and think back to Farmer’s interview saying they can’t tackle because they never practiced it.
I’ve heard Benning repeat several times the concept of building muscle memory. Those habits translate. You are how you practice.
MJ is now emphasizing being tough and physical. He gets it.

Every team in America is doing that. It seems stupid but the analytics tell you to do it vs risking having it get downed on the one
I get that, but it also depends on the trajectory. We fair caught one at the 5 that looked more like a line drive than a pop up. Those high arches are more dangerous.

Small note: I found a lot of irony when Trey was interviewed and said he was able to make a play because he does it in practice….
and think back to Farmer’s interview saying they can’t tackle because they never practiced it.
I’ve heard Benning repeat several times the concept of building muscle memory. Those habits translate. You are how you practice.
MJ is now emphasizing being tough and physical. He gets it.
It's easy to gang tackle but it's hard to tackle in space if you never do it in practice. The difference in this game and all those third down stops was the one-on-one tackles in space. The injury risk is a little greater (not as much as many want to believe) but the payoff is what we saw yesterday. MJ also seems to be a lot tougher on his players and doesn't worry about hurting their feelings. Frost never seemed to know how to handle his QBs. Pulling Thompson was the right move regardless of the sack TD and it will payoff down the line with eps by Chubba and giving his QBs a chance to reset mentally.

Might have lit a fire under CT’s ass. I didn’t mind it. Purdy looked like a deer in headlights, I don’t think the staff could have predicted him fumbling in the endzone.

Can we steal KSU offensive coordinator and put smothers at QB? I think we’d win 7 games like that

They were retaping Thompson’s wrist when the camera showed him. I think he has an injury they don’t want disclosed. I’m not sure they’re being completely honest when they said “we wanted Casey to see it from the sidelines for a series”.

Might have lit a fire under CT’s ass. I didn’t mind it. Purdy looked like a deer in headlights, I don’t think the staff could have predicted him fumbling in the endzone.

Can we steal KSU offensive coordinator and put smothers at QB? I think we’d win 7 games like that
Love what KSU is doing but make no mistake, AM is a difference maker for them.

2 points:

1. ESPN will label Nebraska racist if they don’t hire this guy.

2. it might be time to tone it down. You literally beat a basketball school
ESPN is irrelevant, soon to be in the rear view mirror. ESPN is probably more raciest and discriminatory than all networks combined. Their track record speaks for itself.

I’m sure someone has brought it up already, but wouldn’t it be feasible that Mickey could bring his brother Vance to be his DC if he lands this gig?
Maybe it’s far fetched, but seems at least possible. They talk everyday and the chance to coach together could be their dream.

Reactions: ssmill777
I’m sure someone has brought it up already, but wouldn’t it be feasible that Mickey could bring his brother Vance to be his DC if he lands this gig?
Maybe it’s far fetched, but seems at least possible. They talk everyday and the chance to coach together could be their dream.
Vance wants another shot as an NFL head coach. I doubt that he would take a college coordinator job.

Reactions: HominidHusker
We certainly didn’t play Alabama, but this team was 1-3 with a loss to Georgia Southern. I thought they would quit.

This was an impressive, dramatic improvement.

We just witnessed more coaching in the last 2 weeks than we had in the last 5 years from Frost.
Powerful last line of your comment, and I whole-heartedly agree!

He was punishing CT for poor play. Besides, You found out what you have in your backup.

Reactions: Laner2
He was punishing CT for poor play. Besides, You found out what you have in your backup.
He got lit up with terrible line play (and players like #54 were benched after). He isn’t the only QB that would have been stripped/ dropped it in that situation. We didn’t find out anything about him.

I do agree punishing CT was a good call. You have to show players you are serious and the subs we mean business. That is what no fear of failure really means.

He is a WR coach.......don't cream your shorts.
He is one of the best recruiters in the country. Before Thompson got pulled after taking sack the announcer had announced that Mickey Joseph had explained to Thompson to get the ball to Palmer. On the sack palmer was running a drag route from right to left 30 yards up field with a step on guy and Thompson didn't throw him the ball and took the sack. They pulled Thompson. When Thompson came back in he made sure to throw Palmer the ball. Palmer was MJ's recruit from Louisiana. The kid can play.

Yep. It was a fun game and awesome to see the team really show up and be great in a 4th quarter. Yet anything beyond that is overreaction. Indiana isn't a good program and even if they were, you don't promote a coach based off one game.
WE’RE NOT A GOOD PROGRAM RIGHT NOW!!!

Reactions: JDD1959
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT