ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey Joseph’s Stock Went Up

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
In just 2 weeks:

1) What seemed like a desperate gamble with the defensive coordinator switch paid off dramatically.

2) Our special teams were much better. It has been since 2009 since we blocked a punt for a touchdown?!? Is that right?

3) Our team remembered it didn’t have to give up in the face of adversity and repeatedly overcame it to win.

4) We actually made halftime adjustments and came out better.

5) Our players clearly love him.

I kind of figured Joseph was put in an impossible situation. He was a trustworthy former player and respected coach who would temporarily hold the reins until a new head coach was hired. I honestly wasn’t sure this team even had another win in them.

Just one win, but Joseph deserves serious consideration for the job going forward if he keeps this up. Damn happy for him and would love our best candidate to turn out to already have the job.

6) he kept cool with the refs. Instead of ripping them on penalties they called on us, he went after the kids. When I saw him smiling with the refs in the 4th Q I knew and I thought wow, we are going to win this game. You can’t be in someone’s ass the hole game and expect judgement calls to go your way.

Haven’t re-watched the game, but the incompletion that their receivers elbow barely hit in bonds but he didn’t control the catch; that play stood. Not confirmed: If they called that the other way, it may have stood their too. Incomplete was the right call. The ball moved. But you want the refs always seeing clearly and not pissed at you and being cool

Reactions: Minn1954
No need. As I said, just one win.

However, what we saw tonight was an impressive coaching turnaround for just 2 weeks.

I want to see more, but tonight was impressive. The man deserves consideration if he keeps it up.
He shouldn’t be considered a candidate at the moment. At all. Happy for the W. Very happy actually, but being a functional P5 team isn’t something to lose our minds over. I’ll be here for it in a few weeks.

We actually improved after halftime. Crazy
Offensively we did not improve after halftime. Our defense played solid enough to over come out offense deficiencies a amd the offense’s stupid stupid penalties.

We really didn’t play that great with adjustments after 1st half offensively. It was players finally making plays in the 4th qtr that we have lacked for the better part of the last 5-10 years honestly.
Great victory. So happy for the young men and coaches.

Ugh. We are so desperate for relevance that we lose sight of reality. I’m incredibly happy for the W, but let’s get a few more over non basketball schools before getting excited.
We certainly didn’t play Alabama, but this team was 1-3 with a loss to Georgia Southern. I thought they would quit.

This was an impressive, dramatic improvement.

We just witnessed more coaching in the last 2 weeks than we had in the last 5 years from Frost.

2 points:

1. ESPN will label Nebraska racist if they don’t hire this guy.

2. it might be time to tone it down. You literally beat a basketball school

2 points:

We have been one of the worst football teams of 2022. Are you new here? This was a big improvement.

We lost to Georgia Southern. We are 1-4 Northwestern’s only win. Oklahoma laughed us off the field.

Try to keep up.

He needs to tell his players to not fair catch on the 5 yard line.
I hate to disappoint you but Bill Bush said in a press conference he wants his punt returns to stand on the 5 yard line and fair catch everything at the 5 yard line. He said basically we can run our entire offense at the 5 yard line. Inside that is bad. So Martin did what they want.

He shouldn’t be considered a candidate at the moment. At all. Happy for the W. Very happy actually, but being a functional P5 team isn’t something to lose our minds over. I’ll be here for it in a few weeks.
Why? We don't need to name a coach til November. If he wins every game he is hired, plain and simple.

Why? We don't need to name a coach til November. If he wins every game he is hired, plain and simple.
It’s a W and I dig it, but falling in love with the first piece you get is a bad decision. No need to evaluate anything after a win against Indiana. Move on to next week.

2 points:

1. No one on espn will do that, but ESPN would label us stupid if we hired Mickey Joseph unless he wins the Big 10 West.

2. Yes, and the overreaction has been comical. It was a good win in that we played very well in a 4th quarter in a close game. The game shows Alberts made the right call on Frost. With Frost, we probably find a way to lose this game. With that said, our coaching search will be a colossal failure if we promote Joseph.

Reactions: HuskAir and jteten
It’s a W and I dig it, but falling in love with the first piece you get is a bad decision. No need to evaluate anything after a win against Indiana. Move on to next week.
Yep. It was a fun game and awesome to see the team really show up and be great in a 4th quarter. Yet anything beyond that is overreaction. Indiana isn't a good program and even if they were, you don't promote a coach based off one game.

No it did not. Nice win but consider the quality of the opponent. I will reserve judgement until we play some of the tougher teams on the schedule.

Consider the quality of Nebraska football prior to this game.
When Joseph fired Chinander I honestly felt sorry for him. It felt like he was just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. I didn’t think he would be able to get the players motivated after a 1-3 start and 2 firings.

The last two weeks were great coaching on Joseph’s part. Just getting this team to remember how to punch back and win again is huge.

Who knows. Maybe we still lose every remaining game. At least for now though, Joseph has my attention and respect.

We actually improved after halftime. Crazy
It took Mickey just two games to improve at halftime whereas the Huskers’ last two coaches never did. Hey, I know it was just Indiana, but it sure is a lot more fun than losing to the Hoosiers. (One of my wife’s cousins is a prof at IU so this helps at family events. Her dad’s side is from Tennessee so she has cousins who are Tennessee, Auburn and Alabama grads. Use to hold my own with these people twenty years ago. Now, I just keep my mouth shut. Which I hate)

2 points:

My hope is that Trev only sees 1 color- Green. And that’s he only concerned with 1 thing- W’s that lead to more of the color green. Don’t care how or who we hire to get it done. JUST GET IT DONE.

Reactions: SkerInCo
My hope is that Trev only sees 1 color- Green. And that’s he only concerned with 1 thing- W’s that lead to more of the color green. Don’t care how or who we hire to get it done. JUST GET IT DONE.
Yep, I almost don't care who our next coach is. I just hope the throw massive amounts of money to bring in the best staff possible.

I saw some kids that cared. I saw some kids that wanted to win.

You know what I liked best? There weren’t any dipshit personnel issues like putting the 3rd string TE out at WR on 3rd down. They seemed to put the guys out there that wanted to play. I saw a lot of new faces. Hopefully this encourages others .

And finally, just how bad was our last staff?? Good lord

In just 2 weeks:

1) What seemed like a desperate gamble with the defensive coordinator switch paid off dramatically.

2) Our special teams were much better. It has been since 2009 since we blocked a punt for a touchdown?!? Is that right?

3) Our team remembered it didn’t have to give up in the face of adversity and repeatedly overcame it to win.

I kind of figured Joseph was put in an impossible situation. He was a trustworthy former player and respected coach who would temporarily hold the reins until a new head coach was hired. I honestly wasn’t sure this team even had another win in them.

Just one win, but Joseph deserves serious consideration for the job going forward if he keeps this up. Damn happy for him and would love our best candidate to turn out to already have the job.
I will add the energy MJ brings is contagious!

Loved how the D players were attacking rather than sitting back and reacting under Chins.

In just 2 weeks:

He is a WR coach.......don't cream your shorts.

Yep, I almost don't care who our next coach is. I just hope the throw massive amounts of money to bring in the best staff possible.
Frost stands out as an example of how throwing money at someone (repeatedly in his case) isn’t always the answer. He was everyone’s home run hire and we just desperately burned through millions of dollars for him.

I get what you are saying though. If money can get you Urban Meyer or Luke Fickell, do it. No one else really stands out as deserving a huge pile of money this cycle.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT