ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey is not a head coch but...

Chuck003

Junior
Nov 6, 2016
Keep him anyway? Why? A former Husker ? Smooth taker? Coached a couple of good receivers? Recruiter? Recruited well for LSU? What has he done here? Nothing. He brought in a receiver from LSU that was servicable? I don't want him as a head coach, but keep him on staff. Why? The facination is actually comical. There is not one staff member that needs to be retained from this piece of shit. Move on and go forward. This is freaking embarrassing.

Last edited:
Yeah the love people have for him is weird. It is great he played at Nebraska and I am sure he is a nice guy, but he has never proven he can be a success at anything other than a position coach.

Mickey is holding the team together and he is a good recruiter. I still think he could have better days ahead with his own staff, rather than being saddled with the current OC.

We saw evidence of this with the change in DC and the defense has gotten better, and we have identified new playmakers, even though we had never even seen some of these guys under Chins.

If we had a better offensive line and a decent backup qb, we would be bowl eligible this year.

I still like MJ's messaging to the kids, and while he probably is in over his head, I think he's an asset to the program.

Some of the other coaches, not so much:

Is Donovan the best OL coach you can get?
Applewhite seems like a worse RB coach than what we had.
New WR coach is needed if you're keeping MJ as the head guy.
New OC is needed as well.

The offense really needs a rebuild. Probably the only guy I'd consider keeping is Beckton due to the tight end play this year.

The defense, while being held together well by Busch, is he your guy for long term DC?

There are a lot of things that need some long term planning and thought.

Mickey is holding the team together and he is a good recruiter. I still think he could have better days ahead with his own staff, rather than being saddled with the current OC.

We saw evidence of this with the change in DC and the defense has gotten better, and we have identified new playmakers, even though we had never even seen some of these guys under Chins.

If we had a better offensive line and a decent backup qb, we would be bowl eligible this year.

I still like MJ's messaging to the kids, and while he probably is in over his head, I think he's an asset to the program.

The offense really needs a rebuild. Probably the only guy I'd consider keeping is Beckton due to the tight end play this year.

The defense, while being held together well by Busch, is he your guy for long term DC?

Have you lost your mind?.

It’s the frosturbator mindset. They don’t understand just how stupid and wrong they constantly are. They care about who the coach is, more than they care about the program. Lead by H3 and his apologists here. Heard he left a note on Trev’s door when he finally fired Frost “Thanks for the **** pad, you may want to just replace the hot tub and all the carpets… dirty Harold and the boys”

Reactions: TheNewNU
Too many people are on the extreme edges when it comes to Mickey. Some passionately want him as the next head coach and make all kinds of excuses when the team loses. Others discount his great work as a recruiter and wide receiver coach. NEITHER extreme is correct IMO. He shouldn't be the next head coach though I do like him as a person. But he should stay on if possible as a very good assistant and recruiter. I think he makes a fine recruiting coordinator and ASSISTANT head coach. Although he hasn't won games with adjustments, he's been able to hold the team together morale wise.

Keep him anyway? Why? A former Husker ? Smooth taker? Coached a couple of good receivers? Recruiter? Recruited well for LSU? What has he done here? Nothing. He brought in a receiver from LSU that was servicable? I don't want him as a head coach, but keep him on staff. Why? The facination is actually comical. There is not one staff member that needs to be retained from this piece of shit. Move on and go forward. This is freaking embarrassing.
He had 5 1st Rd draft picks and is ranked the 4th best WR coach in all of FBS/P5 and a hell of a recruiter.

I get the notion of starting over with a clean slate. But badmouthing Mickey is poor form. He’s done a hell of a lot more than you will ever give him credit for. Is he a head coach? Looks like he’s not. But to go scorched earth on his recruiting and his position coaching abilities is low, even for you, and that’s saying something, because whenever you post it’s never positive.

I get the notion of starting over with a clean slate. But badmouthing Mickey is poor form. He’s done a hell of a lot more than you will ever give him credit for. Is he a head coach? Looks like he’s not. But to go scorched earth on his recruiting and his position coaching abilities is low, even for you, and that’s saying something, because whenever you post it’s never positive.
He had 5 1st Rd draft picks and is ranked the 4th best WR coach in all of FBS/P5 and a hell of a recruiter.
This is what I don't understand. People on here called him an average to below average position coach is laughable. He may not be a HC. But to call him a poor position coach is not true or honest. It's almost weird what people say about him as a position coach.

This is what I don't understand. People on here called him an average to below average position coach is laughable. He may not be a HC. But to call him a poor position coach is not true or honest. It's almost weird what people say about him as a position coach.
They have no clue as to what they are talking about.

Promote him to assistant athletic director and let him close the deal on recruits on campus. He can spend time with his family in Lincoln. Get Ron Brown out and replace him with Mickey.

Mickey isn't head coaching material, but he is a good man and he tried his best. I wish him the best in his future endeavors.
He’s a great receivers coach and recruiter, but just because he played QB here under TO and just so happens to be African America, people here wouldn’t even give it a second thought in he never played for Nebraska..

Reactions: moralvictories

Beckton's room has been the top room from the time Frost got here.

Well said. He must have taken a laxative yesterday evening because he was sh!tting out a lot of crap on here late at night.

Reactions: timnsun and Dylman
He’s a great receivers coach and recruiter, but just because he played QB here under TO and just so happens to be African America, people here wouldn’t even give it a second thought in he never played for Nebraska..
Same could said for Leipold and Klieman being from the Midwest. No one else is looking at them as options

You tend to be a clown.

hire your coach and then get out of the way with regards to his staff

any new coach is going to bit a bit leery of keeping an interim who thought he should be given the head job who he doesn't have a relationship with

I'm a pragmatist as far as mickey or any coaches or players.
mickey was getting canned at lsu due to coaching change..he could have done other things, but came to NU to transition from frost to something more legit. and we are a week away from finding out more about that change.

if mickey plays a role in this change going forward, and it works..thats fine with me.
he's done everything we could ask from him, and if coach rhule, coach mickey and coach brady, can work together, in unison on a RPO machine. I'm 100% for it...
be we need coach oline to get on board also...and coach dc.....and definatly coach nil

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHNNY N
I think its important to remember that the OP isn't very smart.

Since NU began the Frost regime with 6 straight losses, it's only fitting NU will finish with 6 straight losses.

Even with the "big" rushing totals of 35-146 against MN, in the last 4 games, NU has averaged 2.9 yards per carry. Last 4 games, on the ground, 60/146/75/65 yards. Who are you gonna beat when the run game is void? Looks like about a 50-yard day on the ground vs. Iowa.

NU has averaged almost 13 minutes less per game in TOP in the last 4 games. Nothing like giving the other team almost an entire quarter of the time of possession.

Gifford, Hausmann, Wright, and Hartzog have all made big strides. They look like 4 young kids, who, barring injury will play a lot of football over the next 3 years. I dogged Gifford the first 6 games or so, but I've seen a ton of improvement from this kid, so good for him.

It would have been nice for NU to have about 5/300# Brewingtons as OLmen. That cat knows how to deliver a physical blow for not being a big kid.

Both sophomore kickers have done a nice job since the punter has regained his health.

If Grant goes, NU returns a healthy AJ Allen and Gabe Ervin, the RB spot will be well-manned.

Other than that, purge the whole fricking operation.

Promote him to assistant athletic director and let him close the deal on recruits on campus. He can spend time with his family in Lincoln. Get Ron Brown out and replace him with Mickey.
What do you think Ron Brown's duties are right now? You mentioned titles/ words like assistant athletic director, recruiter....and then state "replace him with Mickey." I am confused....I thought Ron Brown was one of the analyst.

What do you think Ron Brown's duties are right now? You mentioned titles/ words like assistant athletic director, recruiter....and then state "replace him with Mickey." I am confused....I thought Ron Brown was one of the analyst.
"Ron Brown is in his fifth straight season on Nebraska football staff, and his second season as a senior offensive analyst. Brown spent his first three seasons as the Huskers’ director of player development."

I doubt Mickey is interested in being demoted to an analyst.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT