ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey has a recipe

The first and goal on the four with 3 passes and settling for a FG made me hate this offense more than I already do. Geez Louise, couldn't they have at least ran on 1st down?
I was upset about that too. CT could have thrown a Kareem sky hook on the missed TD play and easily completed the throw though. That miss was horrible. That throw looked like a RB throwing into the endzone or a guy that was purposely missing. Total case of the yips. I hope. I bet our third string running QB makes that throw with ease. Perhaps a rotating QB cycle from here on out to keep each guy fresh and eager to make a play. The horrible O-line play will minimize their PTSD with getting to be on the sideline regularly.

I was upset about that too. CT could have thrown a Kareem sky hook on the missed TD play and easily completed the throw though. That miss was horrible. That throw looked like a RB throwing into the endzone or a guy that was purposely missing. Total case of the yips. I hope. I bet our third string running QB makes that throw with ease. Perhaps a rotating QB cycle from here on out to keep each guy fresh and eager to make a play. The horrible O-line play will minimize their PTSD with getting to be on the sideline regularly.
Yes. I think I cussed and then told my wife he could have thrown it underhand ... for 6.

Reactions: cornwoman
Mickey is a smooth talker and whatever. He just got beat by the powerhouse Purdue and could have won it. He did not. Move on and find someone to rebuild this shitshow. Mickey is a good assistant and I admire some of what he has done. But head coach? No way.

These are awful takes.
Keeps them in the game and adds a bit of toughness. Clock management? That is football 101 and he failed. There is more to football than " the players didn't quit". Burning the 2 timeouts in the 3rd quarter might have cost them the game. Look beyond the "the players fought " and focus on the coaching. He is good as an assistant, but not ready for the big-time. Learn a little bit about how the game is played, and you might understand.
Can't blame the guy , because he is new, but to say this loss wasn't a little bit because of coaching, is being very naive.

Last edited:
Keeps them in the game and adds a bit of toughness. Clock management? That is football 101 and he failed. There is more to football than " the players didn't quit". Burning the 2 timeouts in the 3rd quarter might have cost them the game. Look beyond the "the players fought " and focus on the coaching. He is good as an assistant, but not ready for the big-time. Learn a little bit about how the game is played, and you might understand.
Can't blame the guy , because he is new, but to say this loss wasn't a little bit because of coaching, is being very naive.
He’s a first time head coach, so yeah, you can say it was a little bit because of coaching. First time head coach, first time DC. And O’Connell played as well as he has ever played. They needed that to stay in front. The only mistake he made all game was the int on the first drive.

I get that some don’t want a head coach who is learning on the job. But if we win 3 or 4 more this season, would you not be a little impressed? Should he not even be considered?

He’s a first time head coach, so yeah, you can say it was a little bit because of coaching. First time head coach, first time DC. And O’Connell played as well as he has ever played. They needed that to stay in front. The only mistake he made all game was the int on the first drive.

I get that some don’t want a head coach who is learning on the job. But if we win 3 or 4 more this season, would you not be a little impressed? Should he not even be considered?
I certainly think he needs to be considered, unless Alberts has a true ringer waiting in the wings. I have seen very little to make me question Joseph's aptitude as a head coach. The fact that players have been conditioned for 5 years under Frost to be pu**ies isn't on Joseph, it's on Frost.

Now, I am not actively lobbying for Joseph as HC, but I am definitely keeping an open mind. And I can't say the same about some other posters around here. If MJ manages to get this Nebraska team to a bowl game, I think we should be kissing his hairy beanbag.

Last edited:
I heard Devaney speak and he had a very filthy mouth. He thought he was cool around the fans but we felt the opposite.
We? You represent all “the fans”. While a potty mouth doesn’t endear people to me, it’s a rare football coach who doesn’t drop f bombs. TO and Mike Riley are the only two I can think of right now. Maybe Ron Brown.

Less than 18 minutes TOP for the Huskers and two bad turnovers really did them in. I can't remember a Husker team having so little time on offense in any game. At this seasons end, it will be good to see most of these coaches leaving.
It was the turnovers and missing a wide open guy in the end zone more than the TOP that killed using. Casey has to be reliving those two horrible passes every minute. Feel for the guy. He had time and both guys were wide open for 6.

I think MJ is doing a great job with what he has...last night was actually a point in his favor IMO.
I keep going back and forth on this. On one hand I think the team under the last staff would have folded early and we would have been embarrassed. So when I think about that I agree with you. On the other hand, when I think it was just another one score loss, well, that is no different than the last 4 years. I also think about the low scoring Rutgers game last week and this barn burner and suspect we may still be playing down to our competition.

Gotta gave a better guy if you fire Donovan and I don’t think we do.

Casey threw away 11 easy points by missing wide open guys for easy TDs. On that last interception that was an easy TD for Palmer if he lays it out in front of him. Then the bad miss on 3rd down that resulted in settling for a field goal. There’s your ballgame right there
If you're going to point the finger at anyone its number 11. He didnt play well enough for us to win. He didnt get any help from the defense though.

Reactions: Walleye79
Learn a little bit about how the game is played, and you might understand.
the-dude-lebowski.gif

Reactions: LegendaryFrechFry
I certainly think he needs to be considered, unless Alberts has a true ringer waiting in the wings. I have seen very little to make me question Joseph's aptitude as a head coach. The fact that players have been conditioned for 5 years under Frost to be pu**ies isn't in Joseph, it's on Frost.

Now, I am not actively lobbying for Joseph as HC, but I am definitely keeping an open mind. And I can't say the same about some other posters around here. If MJ manages to get this Nebraska team to a bowl game, I think we should be kissing his hairy beanbag.
Exactly right.

IMO none of this loss was on Mickey. None. He’ll take the blame but he had his team in position to win while having to play 3rd team walk ons most of the game at key positions last night. None of the injury/depth problems are on him. Our best 3-4 players on offense are at Nebraska are here because of Mickey, Busch and Applewhite. That’s pretty damned telling.

IMO none of this loss was on Mickey. None. He’ll take the blame but he had his team in position to win while having to play 3rd team walk ons most of the game at key positions last night. None of the injury/depth problems are on him. Our best 3-4 players on offense are at Nebraska are here because of Mickey, Busch and Applewhite. That’s pretty damned telling.
At the end of the year, if NU let's go with every single coach on this staff, except these three guys, it would be fine with me.

These three would represent a really solid foundation of coaches for Mickey, or whomever is hired, in starting the process of returning NU to relevancy.

The last 3 games, this team has begun to learn to play their asses off, despite the MASSIVE shortcomings in physical talent to work with. The kids learned how to lose under the prior coach, now they are being shown how to "try" to win under these new guys.

The key play in the whole game may have been when Robinson had a chance to tackle AOD and make Purdue surrender the ball. Yet, we all got to witness exactly the zero change of direction and lack of quickness and foot speed a kid like Robinson has after being here for several years.

Even those ill-timed interceptions by CT "could" have been overcome had Robinson made that one tackle, or even grabbed AOD's leg and then get help.

It's impossible to explain how CT could have a few horrible throws miss, and those 2-3 throws seem to come in one series.

Reactions: cornwoman
Tell each QB to just chuck it deep to Palmer

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_
We? You represent all “the fans”. While a potty mouth doesn’t endear people to me, it’s a rare football coach who doesn’t drop f bombs. TO and Mike Riley are the only two I can think of right now. Maybe Ron Brown.
Really? "Maybe Ron Brown?" No way.

Throw Turner Gill in with Tom as well.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT