ADVERTISEMENT

Mick Tingelhoff..RIP..

WOW, One of the greats not only in Nebraska history but NFL too..

Being a Viking and Bears fan remember watching him with the Vikes..
Your statement may seem odd to some people. How can somebody have been a fan of both the Vikes and Bears they ask? I was the same way. Back when I was a kid you only got one or two games per weekend on TV. One week it was Nitcscke. The next it was Butkus. Then it was Tarkington. You had Tagge playing for the Pack (I wasn't a kid anymore when Tagge played). When you didn't get to watch one team every Sunday your allegiances as a kid varied from week to week and year to year. I was a big Bears fan when they had Sweetness. Vikings fan when they had Foreman.

Your statement may seem odd to some people. How can somebody have been a fan of both the Vikes and Bears they ask? I was the same way. Back when I was a kid you only got one or two games per weekend on TV. One week it was Nitcscke. The next it was Butkus. Then it was Tarkington. You had Tagge playing for the Pack (I wasn't a kid anymore when Tagge played). When you didn't get to watch one team every Sunday your allegiances as a kid varied from week to week and year to year. I was a big Bears fan when they had Sweetness. Vikings fan when they had Foreman.
Living in Omaha remember watching the Bears with Sayers most Sunday’s..I had a Aunt and Uncle that owned a bar in Minneapolis and they had season tickets and would buy be merchandise and autograph football of the 1969/1970 Super Bowl team..

That’s how I’ve been a fan of both through out my life..

Reactions: dinglefritz
Living in Omaha remember watching the Bears with Sayers most Sunday’s..I had a Aunt and Uncle that owned a bar in Minneapolis and they had season tickets and would buy be merchandise and autograph football of the 1969/1970 Super Bowl team..

That’s how I’ve been a fan of both through out my life..
Oh yeah. How could I forget Sayers? Amazing back!

Reactions: scarletred
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...center-never-missed-a-game-in-17-year-career/ On Saturday, the Minnesota Vikings announced that legendary center Mick Tingelhoff had died at the age of 81. Tingelhoff started in all 240 games he played for the Vikings from 1962 to 1978 -- which is the most starts in a row by any NFL center and the second-most of any player in franchise history, according to the Vikings' official website. His No. 53 jersey was retired, and he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2015. Tingelhoff joined the Vikings as an undrafted linebacker out of Nebraska, but quickly took over as their starting center and remained there for 17 years. He was a five-time All-Pro, six-time Pro Bowler and part of four Vikings Super Bowl squads. "He goes down as one of the five greatest Vikings of all time," former Vikings head coach Bud Grant said, via Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "He was one of our greatest players and represented the Vikings as well as anybody I made him and Jim Marshall captains and they were throughout their whole careers."

Not to make this a generational toughness thing again.....But I'm gonna. LOL...Boomers and Gen Xers are some bad MFers compared to the soy latte skinny jean millennials and Gen Z soft as a baby ducks ass poofters today. Laughing
And he did that in an era where guys could head slap O linemen with hands that were taped up like casts.... Good Lord those guys played in those old helmets with the nylon webs as the only cushions. Getting hit in the head was painful in those damned things. I remember all too well. We didn't get the foam lining until I was in high school then they upgraded it to where you could inflate little pockets in the foam my senior year.

Reactions: HBK4life
Not to make this a generational toughness thing again.....But I'm gonna. LOL...Boomers and Gen Xers are some bad MFers compared to the soy latte skinny jean millennials and Gen Z soft as a baby ducks ass poofters today. Laughing
But the generation who created the Boomers. The GI generation aka the greatest generation I think we can all agree were the baddest boys on the planet. The boys like my grandpa who landed on Omaha beach to kill some Nazi's. Respect to the greatest generation of all time.

Reactions: scarletred
And he did that in an era where guys could head slap O linemen with hands that were taped up like casts.... Good Lord those guys played in those old helmets with the nylon webs as the only cushions. Getting hit in the head was painful in those damned things. I remember all too well. We didn't get the foam lining until I was in high school then they upgraded it to where you could inflate little pockets in the foam my senior year.
Watch any game from the 60's to 80's. All those hits would get you fined and kicked out of the NFL today. Steel Curtain Steelers of the 70's. Purple People eaters Vikings. Monsters of the Midway 80's Bears. Doomsday Dallas 70's. Ray Nitschke from my Packers killer D. Vince Lombardi could kick dudes asses today. And he's been dead for years.LOL

Last edited:
Watch any game from the 60's to 80's. All those hits today would get you fined and kicked out of the NFL today. Steel Curtain Steelers of the 70's. Purple People eaters Vikings. Monsters of the Midway 80's Bears. Doomsday Dallas 70's. Ray Nitschke from my Packers killer D. Vince Lombardi could kick dudes asses today. And he's been dead for years.LOL
Lambert.jpg
orleansdecember-17-ray-nitschke-linebacker-for-the-green-bay-packers-picture-id967197746

136d59650719eb56fd204142c7bce8c1.jpg
R.9f9bd09c91ba82b5c394f0ff6738225c
OIP.b2XKGX0cDO3YaZSH7Ty82AAAAA
R.aa93e23620dd987a1dc45c7fc8cbf20d
football-nfl-championship-green-bay-packers-coach-vince-lombardi-picture-id81391597
F00162_m0893.jpg_ditka.jpg

I was 8 years old when I went to my first Nebraska game when he was a senior. I just remembered Tinglehoff being a funny name when the players were introduced, but he was one tough SOB! A guy I worked for at UP back in the early 80s named Bill Edwards played with him for 2 or 3 years in Lincoln and raved about what a talent he was. Mick RIP!

I know. When I see a tough as nails millennial, I am impressed as hell. It's so rare

Reactions: HBK4life
Never missed a game in his 17 year Hall of fame career at Center. That's incredible.
I was 7 when he left Lincoln. So I probably was still trying to figure out how to pee without sitting. But I was a big Viking fan in the Tarkington, Kapp era. And you couldn’t be a Viking fan without knowing Tingelhoff. Once I found out he was a Husker. i was even more of a Viking fan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT